• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Virtual Backgrounds when I am in Zoom meetings. I have some old framed posters up on my wall-but they haven't been updated in over 10 years. I was thinking of buying some artwork prints up to make my office look fancy-or maybe get some classic movie posters framed to put up.

What do you have?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
we were talking about Nas a little while ago at work so i put nas as my "green screen" background
i haven't change it, so yeah. it's nas.
M3yAsu3.png

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
We had a Zoom party for my friend Kwi's birthday last year and I had Photoshopped a picture of Pizza Hut to 'Kwizza Hut' and set it as my background. I didn't use Zoom for ages afterwards until a client requested a meeting on there and I still had my background as that, which probably confused them.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No blurred background, so everyone can see my games and magic cards and stuff.

My meetings are never so high stakes that I'd feel the need to blur my background.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I do the blurred thing. I'm in a spare bedroom, with all sorts of crap everywhere ... As well as a giant box that says "AMAZON COMMERCIAL TOILET PAPER 96 ROLLS" so I've gotta hide that shit

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I usually use my expensive-ass full-frame mirrorless with a 24mm f/1.4 for the real thing in terms of blurred backgrounds, but sometimes when I'm lazy and just in internal meetings I use NVIDIA's Broadcast background blur on my c920. I really dislike fake backgrounds without an actual greenscreen keeping things tidy. I am pretty extra with my setup, though, piping things through OBS, manually color grading my a7III's SLOG3 and doing fun tricks in lighthearted Zooms. I also use my decent lightboxes when I'm on panels or speaking to a large audience.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just my actual background, which is a cat tree, which sometimes includes cats.

The virtual backgrounds kinda suck since they make weird shapes around my headphones.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
For grad school I use blurred.

For work that isn't an option for whatever reason so I just have my actual background. You see a photo of my fam, a map of breweries in my metro area, my headphones and part of my movie shelf.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I dont use it alot, so it was always actual background.

Before I was in a place that had a ...lived in look...lol. (bins, bins everywhere) Now that I've moved, its super plain behind me. They will just see a bench for lifting weights now.

No background. I ain't putting my camera on unless they tell me ahead of time.
Same, I just do call in only unless told otherwise. Most of the time its call in.

Oct 27, 2017
My work space is somewhat public and my partner doesn't like to show up on camera. *And* I don't like having a logo or whatever, so I took a picture of the space behind me with my chair, but without me in it and I use that as my virtual background, and I set a blur filter on it so it mimics the Zoom blur. Lets me look like I'm physically in a space but my partner won't be caught on camera.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Corporate one. Not a requirement, but just makes it easier.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
When I have to do it, it's a pic of my neighborhood back home. It makes me feel better especially in the winter when it's a frozen tundra outside and the pic is nice and sunny.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
I have a nice double bookcase behind me with a bunch of books and legos and other stuff on it.

I talk on calls 12-16 hours a day so decided to do something interesting behind me (I myself am not so much to look at)

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
le4lzdvsajj4.jpg

Just use actual office background

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
we have some preset company ones that look like a conference room. I just use that on the rare occasion I use video. my camera is pointed right at my back porch which is clean at the moment but usually is a mess

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I use my Fuji kit and f/1.4 lens to get real background blur/separation. Behind me are two nice shelves with my other camera equipment and some fun video game Knick-knacks.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Blur for me as well.

I've only recently started going on video for calls as I assumed a more senior role, and they prefer that. Most of the time it's off.

I often enjoy seeing the books people like to present on their Teams backdrop bookcases. You can normally tell which are organic collections of stuff people actually read and which are the artifically inserted 'intellectual' picks.

Slight shade aside, I do look to see the bits of personality people present on their bookshelves if their rooms allow it.

Sep 6, 2020
Pro tip: if you have an office, open a new zoom, turn on blur, take screencap. Remember to horizontally flip the image.

Use this as your background, and it's basically indistinguishable from being there with the blur filter applied, as long as your own lighting is similar.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Just my actual background, I've got nothing to hide and everyone likes it when my dog occasionally makes an appearance. I only have my camera on at all though if it's a small meeting, anything larger than like six people and I join voice only unless I'm presenting.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get to work from home. When I have to stream my class to students at home it's just... my whiteboard.