• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hot do you like it?

• Mild

Votes: 109 9.9%
  • Medium

Votes: 252 22.9%
  • Hot

Votes: 416 37.8%
  • Just fuck my shit up

Votes: 204 18.5%
  • Put me on Hot Ones and take the milk away

Votes: 119 10.8%

• Total voters

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Depends on the food, I don't mind being overwhelmed by heat, but if it's the only thing I can taste than it's too much

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had this pizza from a local joint called Hellfire pizza, it was delicious but god damn was my shirt soaked from sweat.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dutch mother was afraid of using salt when cooking.

Then I went to the best food city in the world, NOLA, and the surrounding swamp. Now Tony's is sugar for me. I eat the cob from the crawfish boil.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I lost about 40% of my digestive tract because of inflammatory bowel disease and complications to multiple surgeries. I have an ileostomy bag permanently, so they stitched up and sealed the ol' pooper. I can eat whatever I want, unless it gives me noticeable issues. Super spicy stuff is back on the menu! Can't eat things like mushrooms or potato skins, though.

I figured it was something like that. I guess I just never realized that they close the hole.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I honestly don't know anyone IRL who handles very spicy food better than I do. Maybe my mother when she was younger.

I think I'll have cheese buldak today :)

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'll take mild tbh. I tried some spicy doritos recently and it felt like I damaged my throat, so I just can't handle my spice too well.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I used to be "fuck my shit up" with a decent tolerance but these days I just prefer reasonably spicy (though my tolerance is probably on the higher end).

For hot sauce at home, I mix these two which is absolutely perfect for daily use on anything:

51ZQ5h4iz%2BL._SL1000_.jpg
large_c9907460-6f5a-4bc1-97da-c758e552b677.jpg

Cholula is not really spicy and the "XXXXtra hot" is a little dramatic IMO but does have a solid spicy level which makes this combo incredible.

The last hot sauce that was too much for me was Tobasco Scorpion. That shit is serious.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
10 years ago? Very hot. I would try almost any degree of spice.

Now? My digestive system is pretty sensitive. Medium to medium-hot.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I have finished a Howlin Rays howlin level sandwich. The Howlin+, however, sent me to the bathroom after 1 bite.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In between medium and hot. I want it spicy but still tasty, not hot to the point that all you taste is pain.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Every now and then I like to indulge in something ridiculous like a phall. Every now and then I sit on the toilet with regrets.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
At most places I pick the hottest thing available. My wife and I were in a bind yesterday and we ate Sonic. I don't know how people eat that shit on a regular basis. Zero flavor.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Medium usually. I like hot sauces if they're interesting or fun, but too hot is never fun.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
In the words of my ancestors.

Mo hotta, mo betta.

(within reason you Trinidad Scorpion scarfing monsters)

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
generally speaking just short of actually physically triggering my sinuses

if i'm stopping to blow my nose or whatever that's just annoying

that's just a general rule of thumb though and can have exceptions

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
ranking spice as mild/med/hot is kinda weird since everyone has a different tolerance to it. i guess the only way to quantify it is by scoville units but whos going to list that on their product/menus? i generally prefer "hot", but like "hot" at the chicken wing place isnt anywhere near the "hot" at the asian restaurant making my papaya salad. in this case, chicken wing hot is perfect to me while papaya salad hot is on the "fuck my shit up" level.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
ranking spice as mild/med/hot is kinda weird since everyone has a different tolerance to it. i guess the only way to quantify it is by scoville units but whos going to list that on their product/menus? i generally prefer "hot", but like "hot" at the chicken wing place isnt anywhere near the "hot" at the asian restaurant making my papaya salad. in this case, chicken wing hot is perfect to me while papaya salad hot is on the "fuck my shit up" level.

Yup. Or "hot" at the Indian restaurant in Japan is barely going to register as mild for most non-Japanese people, but order "hot" at an Indian place in a country that actually does spicy food and it'll be a totally different experience.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind me asking, can you tell me why that is? Can the body not break down the membrane sufficiently enough?

Yep, they're hard to break down. I don't have a lot of intestine left, and what's there is surrounded be a lot of scar tissue, so it's pretty rigid, and stuff that doesn't digest easily can accumulate at kinks and bends and block the intestine. It happened to me with both those foods, and it's not a fun experience. Thankfully, it worked itself out with both times, though. I've had to have surgeries to clear blockages other times. If I need to have anymore intestine removed, I'll have short-gut syndrome and I'll be getting nutrients through a tube in my arm the rest of my life. I gotta be extra careful.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished a trio of ghost pepper salsa'd tacos. They were good, but my ideal is a few steps lower. The best spicy I ever had was some hole-in-the-wall place that smelled like a urinal cake and served a fantastic habanero-topped caldo de pollo.

Tanaka

Oct 27, 2017
I like a little kick, but when the spiciness overpowers any other flavor is when I tap out.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Legit Thai place I sometimes go to has a 5 point scale. Usually I go for a 3. I like spice as long as it's good, but even good spice I usually can't go much past a 3. Unless I'm really in a mood.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I can have it pretty spicy (like the red packaged 2x spicy ramen someone posted earlier is what I'd consider to be the border of comfortable/too hot that it overpowers the flavor).

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Like habanero-level for basic stuff, anything else is "not spicy" to me. I can go harder in small amounts for stuff I love, and if I'm in the privacy of my home, yeah, I'll ride the line. I have some dumb-hot hot sauces, but I don't care for the ones that are basically pure capsaicin.

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
As hot as you can give me, as long as the flavor matches the heat. Not a fan of stunt sauces.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My local thai restaurant near me always makes me their pad basil "native thai" upon request. It's exceptional, both in taste and spiciness.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Usually around "medium"

I'd like to do more, but the consequences just aren't worth it. I get an obnoxious amount of nose run and congestion, and then urgent spicy poops are no fun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the appeal in food that's painful to eat, I don't want to be crying and have my nose running while I eat, that's not remotely enjoyable. I love a good kick to my food, but fuck anything past that.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I like heat and spice in my food but I need to be able to finish it without sweating myself to death and burning the inside of my mouth up.

So im going to go with HOT.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
About "a bit of sriracha"-hot.

I like my KFC-style chicken extra spicy sometimes tho.