• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should any “exclusive” Nintendo Switch Plus game be made available as a Cloud Version to base models

• Yes

Votes: 373 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 293 44.0%

• Total voters
Dec 11, 2017
It is truly beginning to sound more and more like late 2021 is finally the timeframe that we can be expecting a beefed up Nintendo Switch. I call it Nintendo Switch Plus, envisioning the Plus to be visually reminiscent of a D-Pad...but that's another topic.

What I am proposing in this thread is the idea of the system being powerful enough to run new games (and should indeed take advantage of that capability) that are not able to be run on the base Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite, but said titles would still be accessible as Cloud Versions across all models.

Devil May Cry V, Resident Evil 2&3, Final Fantasy VII Remake coming out in cartridge form or available via eShop for Nintendo Switch Plus? Heck yeah, I'll take that. There is both enough untapped would-be Nintendo Switch owners out there, that would buy this "more capable" upgraded system, if it could play more top tier, graphically demanding third party games, on a comparable level to what PS4 Pro - Xbox Series S would offer...and an audience that would gladly upgrade their beloved hybrid console if in some ways, they're almost getting a next-gen experience out of Nintendo.

At the same time, however, you don't want to alienate the 83 million (will be 90+ by this fall) install base of the OG models. I think a smart compromise would be to make it a requirement that if a new title can't run in a lower quality, scalable and still competent form on the base models, that third parties make a Cloud Version of it.

In other words, don't release a broken or otherwise super messy looking Injustice 3 that can barely run on Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite, but when popped inside a Nintendo Switch Plus, it's fine. No. If however, Injustice 3 can perform like Mortal Kombat 11 on Nintendo Switch, on the base models, but run far better on the NS+, then go ahead and release one cartridge/download, with a "Runs Best on Nintendo Switch +" logo.

Or...and this goes back to my main topic. Should said game truly be a demanding title, have a mandatory Cloud Version of the game be available so that at least it's available in some capacity to the 90 million Nintendo Switch owners out there.

I personally love this idea. What are your thoughts? Thanks all!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why do we need exclusives? Have them be on both bt with obvious improvements for the improved Switch.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
If the alternative was not getting them at all then sure, but I'd rather no exclusives in the first place

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
It's a band-aid solution. The best solution would be a native version for each hardware. If the game would not be possible at all on a base switch, as an example, Hitman 3, then sure, do a cloud version. It'd be a good way to make sure you don't lose out on, as you said, 90+ million potential users.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
We are already seeing cloud versions of games that cannot run on the base Switch so I imagine this will continue.

I don't see any problem with something that is already happening & accepted.

Ultimately exclusives will happen if the upgraded Switch matches with the rumors.

Edit for clarification considering some people don't understand why exclusives would happen: Control (Cloud Version) is already available on the Switch. If a native version is released on the Switch Pro then there will be a version available for anyone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who's gonna host these games and how can they ensure business if people don't buy into the cloud versions?

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
In my book, a cloud version is equivalent to not being there at all. But I'm movin' on up to the Pro, so publishers can do as they please.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo managing to successfully utilise a network based feature on their own platform?

Absolutely not.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
Why do we need exclusives? Have them be on both bt with obvious improvements for the improved Switch.
If the new model is a "Switch 2", with lots os resources the first model don't have, Third parties will bring games that the current model can't run. For people don't complain, a "cloud" version for switch 1 can be a good call.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
If there are actual exclusives, sure, I guess that'd theoretically be better than having no alternative?

Though I expect the reality will probably mostly be games that aren't exclusives but only run well on the newer hardware with nothing being said about it officially.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest i dont care thats for the devs/pubs to figure o, what makes sense. Im gonna own a Switch Pro for sure.

Either way the number of streaming version will increase over time - Switch Pro exclusive games or not.

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero interest in exclusives to this model after dsi and new 3DS. If they do, I'm sure it will be decent but small in number and I doubt Any third parties go for it.

there is no reason they couldn't do streaming other than $, which is the reason why they won't.

my guess is switch pro, like new 3DS, will be replaced by a next gen product in 2 years either way. Spring or holiday 2023, likely holiday. I'd rather wait for that leap in power anyway

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
In theory it's a good idea, but in practice it might not be feasible for some developers since maintaining cloud versions of games costs money.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It's a band-aid solution. The best solution would be a native version for each hardware. If the game would not be possible at all on a base switch, as an example, Hitman 3, then sure, do a cloud version. It'd be a good way to make sure you don't lose out on, as you said, 90+ million potential users.
This.
I don't think anyone bought a Switch to play Hitman 3 or Control. The game is there, nice, but I don't feel cheated.
If "Hitman 4" is available natively on Super Switch and cloud on Switch, fine.

But no Nintendo first party !

Oct 29, 2017
I would expect that this will be just like Xbox One X and PS4 Pro where there are no exclusives, just games that run different performance profiles on different hardware.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
If the alternative was not getting them at all then sure, but I'd rather no exclusives in the first place

The benefit of exclusives makes for the system lasting longer and having more reach. The downside of exclusives makes it feel like a betrayal to some folks. Cloud as a compromise isnt too

Yeah, that's exactly how I see it.

We are already seeing cloud versions of games that cannot run on the base Switch so I imagine this will continue.

I don't see any problem with something that is already happening & accepted.

Ultimately exclusives will happen if the upgraded Switch matches with the rumors.

Edit for clarification considering some people don't understand why exclusives would happen: Control (Cloud Version) is already available on the Switch. If a native version is released on the Switch Pro then there will be a version available for anyone.

Yeah, I just see a bit of wasted potential if this upgrade is capable of running Street Fighter VI, but instead, the whole game skips the Nintendo Switch ecosystem, because the base models can't rjn

who's gonna host these games and how can they ensure business if people don't buy into the cloud versions?
As part of Nintendo Switch Online Plus (an additional, payment upgrade), you gain access to all future Cloud games. Nintendo would host and this is how they'd get money for hosting.

In my book, a cloud version is equivalent to not being there at all. But I'm movin' on up to the Pro, so publishers can do as they please.

I'm upgrading too!

there will be no switch plus exclusives. well maybe one game like on n3ds

The NS+ seems like a bigger leap forward to NS, than New 3DS was to its base model. At least that's what appears to be the case. All of that new power and not taking advantage of new software kind of seems like a missed opportunity.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expect this to happen with quite a few third party games and would be glad to see it. I don't see how anyone could be mad about it unless they really prefer getting nothing, because if this didn't happen that what they would get

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If the only way for the game to run on the OG is via a Cloud version, better that than nothing I guess

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, im ok with exclusives if it is like dsi and new 3DS, like 1 or 2 really small exclusives or remasters. But I dont think it will happen with how successful the switch is.

I dont think I'll ever use a cloud version on the switch without ethernet cable.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am ok with this for third parties
Nintendo should make all of their games compatible with the base model

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That would be the bare minimum. Splitting the userbase with revisions is bullshit from Nintendo. There shouldn't be exclusives at all.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
there will be no switch plus exclusives. well maybe one game like on n3ds

Eh, if it's like with New 3DS there'll be very few exclusive games.
It'll be more like Game Boy Color, Nintendo DSi and New Nintendo 3DS, where exclusives will exist if they need to due to the improved hardware and features.
And there is the issue.

I would rather a Switch 2 vs a Switch Plus, Pro with exclusives. If it happens, one one hand I like that they are trying to get the most out of the new system. But....how would ppl with a current Switch take it that dont feel the need to get the new one.

I'm just glad I waited.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If a third party wants to go through the effort of making a separate cloud release, then they're free to do so (there's not getting my money for it, though), but it really doesn't make sense as a system level thing. Keeping cloud games online is expensive, and they'd only address a fraction of the active install base. The Switch is very anti-cloud streaming in how it's designed.
There won't be Switch Plus exclusives.
There is literally no historical precedent for Nintendo banning exclusives.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
And there is the issue.

I would rather a Switch 2 vs a Switch Plus, Pro with exclusives. If it happens, one one hand I like that they are trying to get the most out of the new system. But....how would ppl with a current Switch take it that dont feel the need to get the new one.

I'm just glad I waited.

Same way people with a DS/3DS took it when the DSi and New 3DS came out.

There is literally no historical precedent for Nintendo banning exclusives.

Outside the Game Boy Color the DSi and the New 3DS didn't have all that many exclusives, with the DSi there was the DSiWare but I doubt that situation would repeat now with eShop.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
And there is the issue.

I'm just glad I waited.
This is mostly semantics at this point. Unless Bloomberg is completely off, the new Switch hardware scheduled for this year will, for all intents and purposes, be Switch 2, even if it's not explicitly named that.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing some murmurs here and there of this exact strategy happening in the future for the Switch, so it's inevitable.

I personally don't care as having the game in some aspect is better than nothing.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not trusting Nintendo to deliver on cloud gaming.
I am aware that there are already games, but those are not managed by Nintendo.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
There are some games that simply can't run on switch. I'm thinking PS4 and Xbox One games that aren't on scalable engines. FFXV for example we've been told is a no go for switch despite SE trying, but I reckon could be possible on Super Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
That's more or less what I'm expecting with multiplatform ports to the Switch / Pro that are just too much for the base model, like Control. So as long as it's not for Switch exclusives, I couldn't care less

Not trusting Nintendo to deliver on cloud gaming. I am aware that there are already games, but those are not managed by Nintendo.
...and these wouldn't be managed by 3rd parties because...?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Outside the Game Boy Color the DSi and the New 3DS didn't have all that many exclusives, with the DSi there was the DSiWare but I doubt that situation would repeat now with eShop.
There's a lot more DSi and New 3DS exclusives than most people seem to realize because many of them were digital only.

This new Switch will probably be well positioned to pick up a lot of exclusives, not only because it should remove mostof the barriers to porting PS4/XB1 games, but also because it's very likely to remain supported well past the launch Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the 2021 Switch revision is going to have exclusives. The install base disparity will be too great, and I don't expect the hardware leap to be significant enough to warrant it.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Cloud version may as well be the go fuck yourself version for people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to run the Cloud version with stability.

I wouldn't want it.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That would be a great compromise but I don't see it happening. Cloud Streaming is not free and it's likely not a viable solution for most games financially. No company is actively leaving money on the table if they can help it. Whether that's releasing a game natively on the OG Switch or via Cloud Streaming. If it looks profitable they'll go for it. Just because a Switch Pro releases that is way more technically capable and viable doesn't mean they're just going to casually ignore 83+ million OG Switch users if they can help it. It's going to take a couple years for the Switch Pro to reach a mature userbase, not even considering potential factors like the chip shortage and whether Nintendo retires the OG Switch or keeps it around.

Switch Pro is going to get exclusives, without question, and that should not be an issue at all. What exclusives it will get for the first few years will be games that simply cannot run on the OG Switch and were never going to be ported over in the first place and were never viable financially for Cloud Streaming. It's absurd to expect that they'll handicap the Pro and not take full advantage of its better hardware. Nintendo themselves will likely not release any exclusives for the first few years depending on their overall strategy, but there's zero reason to limit 3rd parties ability to do so given how many games over the last 4+ years were never realistically possible on the system.

Even then with the increased specs and addition of DLSS I would still be willing to bet there will be quite a lot of 3rd party titles that still won't come over to the Pro even though they'll technically be possible now on the new hardware. The level of effort/investment will still be higher than many publishers are willing to commit and/or they just don't see the Switch as a good/necessary fit for their products which is something Nintendo has had to contend with for decades now. It's still going to take a couple years for this new DLSS enabled Switch to really prove itself and the lag time for a lot of these giant corps to pivot resources to support it once it has.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how successful a full slew of cloud versions would be. I don't think there's anything wrong with making that an option, but I'm skeptical that there'd be a significant segment of base Switch owners pining for these games who also wouldn't mind only being able to play them with an Internet connection.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Nintendo is not going to create any Switch Pro exclusives. Maybe like one pack in title or something. They are not gonna make a new Mario or Zelda that doesn't work on the original Switch...

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There's a lot more DSi and New 3DS exclusives than most people seem to realize because many of them were digital only.

This new Switch will probably be well positioned to pick up a lot of exclusives, not only because it should remove mostof the barriers to porting PS4/XB1 games, but also because it's very likely to remain supported well past the launch Switch.
I don't think many major titles will be Switch Plus exclusives, certainly no major Nintendo game will be. I don't see AAA games being ported and having to add DLSS to them just to sell to what will be the least popular version of the platform. I will also guess that when the Launch Switch stops being supported so will be the Switch Plus.

OP
OP
PaulGaleNetwork
Dec 11, 2017
Did we ever get the Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey Cloud version in the West?

No we didn't, but perhaps if Nintendo goes this direction, Nintendo Switch Online Plus will be a designated platform that costs $30 a year instead of $20 a year (and adjusted for family pricing, etc.) and be a way to host future cloud games.

Nintendo managing to successfully utilise a network based feature on their own platform?

Absolutely not.

Do you think that a Nintendo Switch Online Plus setup for $30 a year, with that extra $10 a year being used to access all cloud games, is a possibility?
If the new model is a "Switch 2", with lots os resources the first model don't have, Third parties will bring games that the current model can't run. For people don't complain, a "cloud" version for switch 1 can be a good call.

I agree.

If there are actual exclusives, sure, I guess that'd theoretically be better than having no alternative?

Though I expect the reality will probably mostly be games that aren't exclusives but only run well on the newer hardware with nothing being said about it officially.

If Nintendo does things right, they could satisfy a wider marker while still pleasing the folks not ready to buy a new machine. We'll see.

To be honest i dont care thats for the devs/pubs to figure o, what makes sense. Im gonna own a Switch Pro for sure.

Either way the number of streaming version will increase over time - Switch Pro exclusive games or not.

The cloud versions of games I've tried so far on the system were solid in my book.

I know what you mean.

Theres 80+ million Switches already sold. Nobody is ditching that.

I certainly would hope not!

I have zero interest in exclusives to this model after dsi and new 3DS. If they do, I'm sure it will be decent but small in number and I doubt Any third parties go for it.

there is no reason they couldn't do streaming other than $, which is the reason why they won't.

my guess is switch pro, like new 3DS, will be replaced by a next gen product in 2 years either way. Spring or holiday 2023, likely holiday. I'd rather wait for that leap in power anyway

If we can get an Xbox Series S powered Nintendo Switch 2 for $400 in November of 2023, I'd buy whatever this Nintendo Switch Plus is and that other system when it comes, too.

In theory it's a good idea, but in practice it might not be feasible for some developers since maintaining cloud versions of games costs money.

What if Nintendo took care of the cloud costs, by making the user buy Nintendo Switch Online Plus, for $30 a year, including all old NSO features but with the added ability to play cloud games?

This.
I don't think anyone bought a Switch to play Hitman 3 or Control. The game is there, nice, but I don't feel cheated.
If "Hitman 4" is available natively on Super Switch and cloud on Switch, fine.

But no Nintendo first party !

I agree with all first party games being very important to run on everything. Most Nintendo Switch owners buy first party games above anything else.

I genuinely don't care because I'll buy the Plus Switch day 1

Day one for me, too!

I would expect that this will be just like Xbox One X and PS4 Pro where there are no exclusives, just games that run different performance profiles on different hardware.

At minimum, that sounds safe.

I expect this to happen with quite a few third party games and would be glad to see it. I don't see how anyone could be mad about it unless they really prefer getting nothing, because if this didn't happen that what they would get

Exactly. Something in this case, is better than nothing at all. Not everyone has a great internet connection, but many of those 83+ million, do and if a fraction would want a cloud version of a game, then giving them access is only a good thing.

If the only way for the game to run on the OG is via a Cloud version, better that than nothing I guess

Yeah!

Nah, im ok with exclusives if it is like dsi and new 3DS, like 1 or 2 really small exclusives or remasters. But I dont think it will happen with how successful the switch is.

I dont think I'll ever use a cloud version on the switch without ethernet cable.

The few cloud based games I tried were good experiences, but I know not everyone has the fastest, most reliable connection.

I am ok with this for third parties
Nintendo should make all of their games compatible with the base model

I agree.

It'll be more like Game Boy Color, Nintendo DSi and New Nintendo 3DS, where exclusives will exist if they need to due to the improved hardware and features.

I can see that. Perhaps something like a modern take on Game Boy Color.

That would be the bare minimum. Splitting the userbase with revisions is bullshit from Nintendo. There shouldn't be exclusives at all.

It's going to be an interesting fall!

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm never going to buy a Cloud version. There is a 5% chance i'll have internet good enough for cloud games in the next five years, if not more.