• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you improve the value of NSO+XP?

• Reduce the price? (To what?)

Votes: 331 54.7%
  • Add more to it? (Add what?)

Votes: 274 45.3%

• Total voters

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Remove AC expansion and the Genesis games, add in a couple more N64 games and charge 34.99

Give + subscription members $5 off the Animal Crossing DLC as an additional incentive.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
If you're charging that much, you better bring the heat. To that effect, I will require the following game, Day One...

Michael...

... Jackson's..

... Moonwalker.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Simply adding more DLC, both current and future, boom easy solution, a good amount of people would be cool with it

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I won't buy into a game rental service, so my only suggestion is allow people to buy the games to own on their accounts.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Preferably online play and cloud saves would be a free service available to everyone, but Nintendo will never be that generous so i'll have to limit myself somewhat.

Here, I edited an existing advertisement for the Expansion Pack:

qT7b8Mn.png

Online Play:
  • Dedicated servers for popular titles like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Splatoon 3.
  • Update existing titles to support the invite / party system added in late 2019.
  • Support for messaging friends (available for everyone) and voice chat (NSO subscribers only).
Save Data Cloud:
  • Create a better solution for titles like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Splatoon and any others that don't currently support cloud saves.
  • Allow local save back-ups via USB, available for everyone.
Smartphone App:
  • Make the Japan-only My Nintendo app available worldwide. Technically not an NSO-only feature, but I still want it.
Special Offers:
  • Make vouchers available to purchase in the US and territories tied to it (as they're still available everywhere else).
  • Create a more consistant, public schedule for Game Trials, so subscribers know what games will be up next in the rotation while the current one is available.
  • Relaunch Super Mario Bros. 35, expanded to include The Lost Levels and Super Mario Bros. 3 as additional modes.
  • Keep making NSO-exclusive software of that nature. Don't always have to be battle-royale elimination style games if they want to experiment.
Expand Your Experience:
  • Upcoming downloadable content for major Nintendo Switch titles (Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Party Superstars, Splatoon 3, the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, etc) should be free to keep for all Expansion Pack subscribers.
  • If it's too generous to have all that content readily available for new subs years from now, have them only available to redeem for 3-6 month periods; you still keep them if you redeem them in that time.
Nintendo Studio:
  • Unlimited access to music from Nintendo titles spanning their entire catelogue of systems, available on both Nintendo Switch systems and a dedicated mobile app. Listen to your favourite playlists in-game if those titles are updated to support the feature.
  • Produce new video content available for subscribers, including brand new animations based on Nintendo series (think the Kid Icarus, Pikmin and Star Fox shorts during the 3DS/Wii U era) and a series of developer interviews / mini-documentaries (like the videos produced for Rare Replay) going in-depth on the development of past Nintendo titles with previously unseen pre-release content.
Online Classics:
  • The base Nintendo Switch Online sub includes Game Boy in addition to the already available NES and SNES.
    • Game Boy titles will support a host of features, including Game Boy Color / Super Game Boy display modes, online Link Cable support and emulation for certain features like rumble (Pokemon Pinball) and accelerometer (Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble) that allow those games to be rereleased for the first time.
    • The NES and SNES libraries will continue to be expanded, in addition to GB. Features like Region Select and 4-Player support should retroactively be made available for supported Super Nintendo and Game Boy titles.
    • NES Zapper (Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman, Hogan's Alley), SNES Mouse (Mario Paint, Mario & Wario) and Super Scope (Super Scope 6, Yoshi's Safari, Battle Clash, Metal Combat) titles should be made available for their respective systems, with new control methods utilising gyro and touch.
    • Get around to releasing the remaining first-party titles for NES and SNES. Fan-favourites like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, in addition to lesser known titles like Devil World and Sutte Hakkun. There's still a lot missing, even titles like Mach Rider and Murasame Castle.
  • The Expansion Pack includes Game Boy Advance in addition to Nintendo 64 and Mega Drive, with the promise of more platform(s) being added for no additional cost in the future (can't decide on what would be the next reasonable step).
    • Nintendo 64 should support Transfer Pak emulation (including the first-ever rerelease of Pokemon Stadium, which can connect to the Game Boy app) and Nintendo 64DD titles (with F-Zero X: Expansion Kit being available alongside the regular cartridge release).
  • The update schedule will return to being monthly; alternating each month between updates for the base sub platforms (NES / SNES / GB) and updates for the Expansion Pack platforms (N64 / GBA / MD / ???).
  • With the increased subscription price, licencing deals should be worked out with publishers like Capcom, Konami and Square Enix to allow more of their titles to join the service, as those seem to be the biggest holes in the lineup based on fan feedback.
With a service like this i'd be a lot more willing to pay the current offering price.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Make it a gamepass for all first party expansion packs I guess?

Maybe put the emulators in an inferior tier for people that prefer to buy said DLCs.

Even so, I'd stick with the cheaper option that allows me to play cephalopods online.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
the lack of cloud saves has done nothing to prevent the trade systems from being overrun with hacked pokémon. generation after generation.

it's 2021. every game on every platform should support cloud saves. i'll be extra clear: the "competitive pokémon scene" can go kick rocks. i do not care. cloud saves for every game. it's ridiculous to single out pokémon as the only game in existence that "can't" support cloud saves. pokémon is not so special and so sacred that it's systems have to remain stuck in 1996. just backwards ass nintendo/GF being their backwards ass selves.
So? Like just because people hack their systems doesn't mean that GF has to give everyone access to copying

ket

Jul 27, 2018
-Roadmap for NSO game additions
-Ability to digitally purchase NSO games ($20 at max)
-Cheaper price at $30 a year for individuals, $45 for families

these features/changes would make an NSO upgrade worth it

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Probably already been said, but the issue is the way they bundle things together. Right now if you have NSO with the expansion pass you're getting:

1. Online access

Online access should be free full stop. Considering how little effort they seem to be putting in the area, they should not be charging money for it.

2. Retro game collection

Retro game collection should be it's own separate sub. Retro games have a specific audience and that audience very often may not include people interested in playing modern Switch games online. $20 a year seemed fair for what they were offering for those interested and I imagine they'd pay even more. If you need to increase the price of that to include more platforms, I think that makes sense and that audience would pay for it. Call it something like the Nintendo Premium Club and you can also include all the other bonuses like Tetris 99 and voucher offers etc.

3. Animal Crossing DLC

The Animal Crossing DLC being thrown in there as added value shouldn't be a thing at all. Whether or not it actually is the case, it makes it look like the bulk of the Expansion Pass price increase is coming from this which is bonkers because it is DLC for one specific game that the audience interested in retro games (or online) may not have or be interested in at all.
For the sake of argument though, let's say the bulk of the Expansion Pass price came from the new platforms added and they threw this in to make the price seem more palatable. I think a better idea instead would have been to just include $25 (the value of the DLC) in eShop money with the Expansion sub. To Nintendo, that's really no different on their books, but to the customer, that feels like free money they can use on whatever they want (including AC DLC if that's what they want).

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Reduce the price by $20, make the online multiplayer free again. The entire reason for the legacy game catalog was to justify paying money to have access to the same potato internet we've been putting up with for 15 years with Nintendo since the Wii

Hell, reduce it by $15 or even $10 to make the online free again, because Nintendo's online offering is so pathetic that paying any amount for it is robbery.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Add a hell of a lot more games for NES, SNES, N64, add in GB/GBC/GBA, work in some gamecube games, just fucking go for it.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Reduce the price to $29.99/year.

Ditch the Animal Crossing DLC.
Ditch the Sega games.
And give me Earthbound, you unimaginable bastards!

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expand the library to include all Nintendo published games across NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance then cycling in third party titles/systems as licencing allows.

I think $4/month for that is pretty reasonable.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Reduce the price. Offering current games isn't realistic and offering more platforms(depending on which) could be complicated.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Right now it's an unsure purchase, GBA? Instant purchase

I don't play online at all so right now it's an NES SNES streaming service which for $20 a year is pocket change.

All that needs to be added is more systems

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
1) Rename it. "Expansion Pack" is absurd. Introduce more clear namings that represent hierarchies in the online offerings.
2) Reduce the price.
3. Stop slow playing the rollout of games. No Smash 64, Mario Party 1-3, or Wave Race is unacceptable (especially given the price).
3) A commitment to add GB/C, GBA, DS, and GameCube games.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Add legacy DLC access for multiplayer games. Smash Ultimate Fighter Passes, Splatoon 2 Octo expansion, to name a couple. Basically, being an NSO expac subscriber means all the multiplayer games you play are also content complete automatically. The basic premise of the service is enabling online play, so make the value of the more expensive tier that you're always content complete in first party multiplayer titles.

GBA games added later.

And then either give day 1 discounts on first party published titles or a guaranteed doubling of gold coins on all eShop purchases like a rolling discount. Or both.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Add basic features competitors have had for like a billion years. You know, a proper online system with mind blowing features like account friends list and standard party chat.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Feature parity with live and ps plus. Alternately, keep it like it is and make it free.

Right now the classic games serve to provide a false sense of value and obscure the fact that nintendo is blatantly gouging people with a service they have no business charging for. The ps3 had free online and it was far more functional that switch.

Bring back the virtual console and let people buy the roms they want ala carte. Provide a cheap monthly sub for people who want to try them all. Let people who are part of the sub buy games at a discount. Commit to making sure people's purchases will be respected going forward and they won't have to be bought again next gen. Have more consoles. I already own all the nintendo games I want to. You know what I don't have access to? Sega cd. 32x. Saturn. Dreamcast.
Give us a chance to play some obscure shit we missed instead of repackaging things we likely own multiple copies of.

Prophyblakcis

Oct 25, 2017
offer other dlc options besides animal crossing

if you happen to want that one it's fine the way it is, at least for the first year

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Reduce the Price. I think $35 is a bit more fair and drop the Animal Crossing DLC being part of it. Unless the plan is for more DLCs and such to be added.

If they want to keep the same price at and not have as many people mad Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance should be added. As well as a road map stating specifically what additional content on the service will look like.

Are we going to get 3 titles a month? Etc. i think a big issue with the pricing was that regular NSO was pretty bad and meager offering wise. No one wants to pay $50 and get bamboozled again when stuff like earthbound hasn't even been added to the older sub tier.

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
Make it a Super Season Pass, all of Nintendo's first party DLC, such as SSBU's Fighter's Pass, Pokemon's Season Pass, Zelda's Season Pass and so on.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Probably already mentioned, and I am 100% fine with the price and content, but I'm a little surprised they didn't have a N64 separate tier. No SNES, no NES, just N64/Genesis. Maybe down the line they'll change that. If they basically turn NSO into DLC Gamepass, I could see that helping with the value proposition quite a bit. Keeping the DLC access while adding more DLC that's 'free' with the sub, plus N64 games....yes please.

But also I'd buy the DLC if they don't do that (not the AC one....but you know)

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Reduce the price to $30 max. N64 games aren't worth $30 extra to me. Heck they're not even worth the $10 extra but for that $10 I'd gladly replay the most inferior version of Banjo again.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ mean. I'm gonna get it cuz I️ wanna play Mario kart 64 easily and will play the DLC for AC but I️ think if it was game boy games along with n64 that $30 would be easier to swallow

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Adding GameBoy games of all flavors would be great. But only if they finally release an officially translated Mother 3. Also put EarthBound on the SNES app and Beginnings on the NES app. And still only charge $30. Nothing they could add could make me think $50 is worth it. With what little gaming I actually do. Even only being a yearly fee is too much. But I really want EarthBound (At the very least) and Mario RPG on the SNES.

But yeah, I could think of a nice amount of GameBoy games I'd like to have on Switch. Both Mario Land games, plus Wario Land, Donkey Kong '94, some DX versions of GBC games, Superstar Saga, Metroid Zero Mission and maybe Fusion. Possibly all the Mario ports just for the variety. I mean after all they do have All-Stars on the SNES as well as the originals on the NES so what's the harm in offering the GBA versions as well?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I would add more to it. Rebrand to Nintendo Network again and make it a unified service with basic features every online console has at this point. It's fucking shameful that in 2021 Nintendo is barely doing better than OG Xbox Live in 2002.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The previous price was already a bad deal for what is included and this didn't make things any better. Either, include the expansion pack stuff at the same price or add GB, GBC, GBA, and Gamecube games to make the increased price a better value. It is a bad deal if you compare it with Xbox Gold: no free games to own (Xbox and Xbox 360 games), no discounts on games, fewer features, and worse online infrastructure.

Also, with Genesis licensing being expensive, it should have been dropped for GB, GBC, GBA, and Gamecube. It's not like anyone associates that era of Sega with Nintendo.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
On a personal level they probably would have got me if the Animal Crossing DLC wasn't treated like a rental, because then I could count the fact that I would spend that money against the cost... but as is, I don't have the confidence the next year and so on will work out the same, and I'm not willing to leave that up in the air as content I'm paying for.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
There should be no increase in price with the addition of N64 or any future Nintendo titles, if it means cutting genesis so be it.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make it a complete Nintendo Retro service, add GB/GBC/GBA/NDS, I'm not even saying 3DS/Gamecube.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I probably wouldn't do much, too many people have unrealistic expectations and are looking for any excuse to justify pirating older games.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I'd add more to it, and by more, I mean Nintendo quitting the slow-ass drip-feed of old games onto the service and have them release as much of the libraries they have the rights to as they can. The rate they release them is ridiculously slow. NES, SNES, Gameboy/Colour/Advance, N64, Gamecube...they should all be on there and available. They'd get SO many more subs, they'd make money hand over fist.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Remove value for the $20/$35 package by removing online play. Claim that I am protecting families from the horrors of online.
Retain the $50/$80 package and give myself a raise.

Oct 25, 2017
Reduce the extra cost to zero dollars and zero cents.

Boom, it now has great value.

If you can't do that, I'd make sure there is every N64 game and every Genesis game (at least those that people care about).

Barring that, add GB, GBC and GBA for the same price, just like they added Snes for the same price.

Anything else and it's not even close to worth it, which for now, it isn't.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Add GameCube and GBA games (and add Game Boy and Game Boy Color games to the base service). Even if you just had the Nintendo games and no third parties that's be huge.

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
More options would be nice. The Animal Crossing DLC is a nice offer, but it's only a rental - some people may prefer to just buy it even if they were planning on testing out the expansion pack. Maybe offering other first party season passes (BotW, Pokemon SwSh etc) as alternatives would offer more value.

Another point is that I don't care about the Megadrive offerings. I mean, hell, I bought the Megadrive collection back for the PSP which I could still dig out if I wanted to play some of those games (all? I'm not 100% sure). It feels like I'm paying more than I'd need to for the N64 offerings. By all means, keep the bundle price for those who want to go for it, but for me it feels like I'd be paying extra for services that I'm not interested in.

Maybe some tiers - £24.99 for just N64 access, then a £5 topup for the Megadrive and DLC offers. That way users can pick up what they want from the offerings, and may be more likely to subscribe if they feel they aren't paying more for things they won't use.