• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Naaah, I'm good, no issue without a mask even when talking to customers, the only part where I flinch a bit is when someone is offering a handshake lol, thank God for hand sanitizer.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I still wear it pretty regularly. If I'm talking to a worker or ordering food, I try to keep it on. Of course once my food comes that becomes very hard. I still wear it in line at the theme parks, and on the ride if it is cramped seating.

I really don't care if others do though. I think it would be courteous of them in some situations, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

OP
OP
Shining Star

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Strangers kept stopping to talk to you?

I was standing in the same place for like 15 minutes so yes a few people did.

I went grocery shopping the other day without a mask on and heard someone coughing not too far away from me. Without hesitation, I visibly speed-walked in the other direction until I was like 3 or 4 aisles away. Then I spent the rest of the evening wondering if I caught the covid, despite being fully vaccinated.

Yay, trauma.

I feel this so hard!

If you're vaxxed don't stress too much

I am only half vaccinated. I imagine it'll feel a bit better when I have had both shots.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't miss them they were annoying to wear as someone that wears glasses. I'm fully vaccinated and if the CDC says it's okay for me to take them off I will. No problem with other people still wearing masks if they want to.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
But what's the point? If you're vaxxed you can't really get any serious effects from Covid and masks are meant to stop you from spreading it, not the other way around.

Nov 29, 2018
It does still bug me a little, too. The other day I literally watched a coworker sneeze into his hands and proceed to not wash or use sanitizer afterward.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'm still wearing them inside most of the time, but I've started eating in restaurants again and I don't wear one there. Doesn't seem to be much point when I'm going to take it off to eat anyway. Also don't wear them outside which is nice. Went mini golfing last week and didn't put one on despite people nearby. Feels like a relatively low risk thing fully vaccinated. Still wearing them in stores however. I could see maybe going without in a small store with only a few people in it, but I haven't really been to many such places.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly OP, I have to agree with you. I get nervous seeing hordes of maskless people and honestly I feel naked without my mask. Granted, given vaccination rates in my county (around 40% iirc) I'm probably not wrong to be nervous but still, I'm fully vaccinated and should be safe.

A couple weeks after the mask mandate was lifted I was waiting for my mom to get off work so I could pick her up, I decided to walk around downtown in the mean time, stop by a couple stores as well, and I didn't put my mask on immediately at first but after a little bit it just felt wrong and I put it on and was just instantly more comfortable.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I like the masks not because of safety, but because I'm SUPER self-conscious and have image issues with my face. Masks helped that a whole fucking lot.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Fortunately people still wear them, I assume becuse they give a shit. It's never been a requirement here (with some exceptions like trains), people wear them because it's a recommendation from healthcare officials and government.

It's crazy to me that the mask falls off the second it's not mandatory anymore.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Yup. Honestly reactions like this just lend credence to the nutjob "NoNewNormal" types, but meh.
I'm immunocompromised and live with someone who is severely immunocompromised. I've been vaxxed for 3 months, I still haven't left the house without a mask. The pandemic isn't over, the odds of a poor health outcome if I caught it are reduced because of the vaccine, but I'm not going to risk it. Especially when I live in a blood red state with a low vaccination rate that's stalled for weeks.

The no new normal types are just parroting the shit that the brain geniouses in the frothy right wing conspiracy sphere pour down their gullet. I don't think someone having a trauma response to an ongoing, very traumatic event is what's causing that. They've been saying we're histrionic about it for not wanting to die. I just think it's pretty unfair to paint OP's reaction this way.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But what's the point? If you're vaxxed you can't really get any serious effects from Covid and masks are meant to stop you from spreading it, not the other way around.
That isn't true, though. There have been users here who had friends who died and were vaccinated. It does prevent serious illness but it isn't guaranteed 100%.

And vaccinated people can still spread the virus, it is just not as contagious.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
As someone that sweats mostly from their face, I'm glad they are gone. It's 91 here today and wearing a mask outside is fucking miserable. I'll still wear them if certain places require it (some coffee shops near me still do) but overall I've ditched them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the big deal with masks, why can't we just wear them to get over the hill instead of some rush to get it over with, it's zero bother. If anything the rush will just bring them back and longer.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I'm still wearing mine most of the time. Most of my office is not, and I'm just feeling like Garrett over here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I liked not having to smile/worry about how the bottom of my face looked (my beard grows crazy fast and shaving it daily is a pain) as well as avoiding other sickness, but overall I am pretty okay with being maskless. It's taking some getting used to for sure, but navigating it with my glasses was a pain and sometimes my beard would conflict with the mask.

I still wear it in grocery stores or any other crowded indoor area that I'm in for more than a few minutes. Thankfully my city is by all accounts doing good on vaccinations.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I do not miss them one bit. They were causing my anxiety to flare and would bring on panic attacks. Felt like I couldn't breath even though I could.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
Not one iota. I forgot how much I missed seeing peoples faces again! A random girls smile, a nicely trimmed goatee on a bro. Animated conversations. So nice to have it back

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I wish to live in this wonderland where people all actually wore masks... That said, I'm not giving up my mask any time soon, and the people crying about still needing them in the scant few places that require them still (doctor's offices and such) can F that F off... Ridiculous the amount of man babies I had to listen to during my blood draw last week.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Everyone still wearing em in all stores in Germany cause we still got it mandated.
I don't mind masks at all. I think it took me like, 1 week last year to get used to it and now i just put em on and don't think about em anymore.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still wear them when I go grocery shopping, not just because of COVID but because I haven't gotten sick in a long time.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My boss said I could take mine off at work if I wanted to yesterday but I move around to different locations and am around a bunch of different people that I just didn't feel comfortable doing that right now, living in my state where masks are seen as a liberal dog muzzle I will not take the word of Johnny Republican on whether or not he took his mask off because he's vaccinated or not. Masks are such a non issue for me that it's simply not worth the constant wonder of if this person I'm near is vaccinated or not.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
I went grocery shopping the other day without a mask on and heard someone coughing not too far away from me. Without hesitation, I visibly speed-walked in the other direction until I was like 3 or 4 aisles away. Then I spent the rest of the evening wondering if I caught the covid, despite being fully vaccinated.

Yay, trauma.

Reasonable fear; being vaccinated doesn't protect you from covid. It minimizes the symptoms, hospitalization and long haul damage.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Nothing is stopping you from wearing a mask OP. But not wearing one and then wishing others had one on is strange to say the least.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
I worked retail for a little while and wore my mask nonstop for 8 hours and never had a problem.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It does still bug me a little, too. The other day I literally watched a coworker sneeze into his hands and proceed to not wash or use sanitizer afterward.
I see people walk out of stalls without washing their hands all the time. Even a public health crisis was not enough to get people to think rethink their hygienic behavior. Masks have always been a preventative measure, but they were never going to be a transformative one.

Last edited:

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
OP's profile says She/Her. This happens to women all the time lol.

Was about to say before you beat me to it, this is unfortunately common for women especially if they're stand out pretty, randoms strolling up for "conversation" but actually wanting to take their shot.

For a lot of women the mask mandate was actually a blessing because they got left alone. Think on that a moment.

On topic I'm vaccinated but still wear a mask for the most part and leave people alone, you never know if someone may not have been able to get their shots for medical reasons or have kids they might carry something over to unintentionally.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I wore a face covering (buff doubled over usually) on super sunny days before covid for medical reasons. I was already used to it. I never wished other people had to wear them though. Still don't, but I'm definitely going to keep wearing mine to indoor places with hella people because it's just nice not getting sick.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
People would still stop to talk to me even when I was wearing a mask. Bitch face doesn't work as well as well as a deterrent with a mask.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I miss when everything was shut down and no one needed to go anywhere still.
Me too! That was only for, like, two months though. Maybe three. As someone who still had to drive to work it was so friggin' nice.

People are apparently still working from home but you wouldn't think it with the way traffic is right now. Feels like we're in full swing.

Hopefully we DON'T see a full return to normal. I don't think our infrastructure could handle it. There are too many people traveling everywhere all the time as it is!

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are still dealing with lingering issues after getting COVID last November. So, we'll continue to wear masks even though we're vaccinated.

I just don't want to chance ever getting it again.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I don't miss the politicization of masks, the protests, the mask burnings, the fights and even shooting deaths over masks. In some ways it's a relief that we're sort of past that. But with our luck mask requirements may be back again by fall/winter.

edit: speak of the devil, L.A. has reinstated masks.

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Someone at the barbershop today no mask coughing up a fucking storm. Everyone else has a mask on but this one asshole. Kids on the train yesterday just coughing all over and their mother not giving a fuck and laughing about it. NYC is pretty good with masks but it's just these inconsiderate people who annoy tf out of me. I don't care about outdoors, but in the places where it's required, i.e. the train, just wear your fucking mask it ain't that hard.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
You're describing protection.

No medicine or vaccine in the world literally stops bacteria or viruses from entering your body.

so my point stands. The poster I was quoting said he was scared when someone at the grocery store sneezed near them and wondered if they had covid…even though poster is double vaxxed. And I said "it's a reasonable fear" as you can still get it even vaxxed.

I don't get what we're arguing about.