Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It was the scene when the ape dude was about to be merced by a giant robot but a robot ninja showed up and Toku the fuck out of the scene. Then some Paladins driving a truck show up. I watch that all saturday morning eating some cereal.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because Blizzard thought there wasnt any other work involved. They thought they could just make characters and leave it at that and people would play OW to get their fill of those characters. Riot on the other hand just wants you to know their characters are from League of Legends and gives them to you in a thousand ways. If Riot choose right at every opportunity to merchandise their characters, Blizzard choose wrong

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
In all honesty they had a vast successful cross media empire laid out before them like a jewelled map of a new empire and decided the best option was to turn completely away from it and focus their efforts completely on eSports despite 99% of their considerable and dedicated fanbase not being interested in that direction.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
They had a few webshorts right after OW1 came out. But it was mostly introducing the heroes.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I know that people love Blizzard's cinematic videos that go hard on the graphics, but I really think that the Overwatch team should have done so many videos using this animation and graphic.

View: https://youtu.be/_q0QGtk_AM0

Sure it's not as impressive looking as say the Genji and Hanzo Dragons video, but it's hilarious and hopefully requires less hard work and time.

Oct 25, 2017
In another timeline we'd all be sitting here speculating and hyping the second or third overwatch movie. It's impressive how badly they squandered overwatch from damn near every angle

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I know that people love Blizzard's cinematic videos that go hard on the graphics, but I really think that the Overwatch team should have done so many videos using this animation and graphic.

View: https://youtu.be/_q0QGtk_AM0

Sure it's not as impressive looking as say the Genji and Hanzo Dragons video, but it's hilarious and hopefully requires less hard work and time.

Using the in engine graphics and animation would have been a wonderful idea. It worked great for TF2.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't had a TV show yet because Activision Blizzard is dumb as hell with managing this property.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help that the general gameplay is completely divorced from the shorts.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Blizz has completely mismanaged the franchise for years now. If they had jumped at the chance in like 2017-2018, an OW series would've been huge. It's too late now though.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
One thing to note is that some of these characters are very stereotypical and would drag any serious narrative attempt down.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It's a horribly mismanaged IP. It could easily go the route of League of Legends and become a multi-media franchise but ActiBlizz seem pretty intend on making it complete fucking ass to partake in in any capacity.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Honestly the misinformation about the PVE being entirely canceled is such a big L for Blizzard.

Seriously. I play the game pretty regularly. I didn't watch the Invasion stream and all I heard was the words "PvE" and "cancelled". I think most people that play the game as much as me (which isn't too much) or less definitely just thought it was completely cancelled. I thought it was until I looked up some info.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue Blizzard in general doesn't know how to act on the potential that almost all of their IP has outside of their main games. Overwatch for sure should have had some kind of show or movie or even a consistent web series to capitalize on the popularity of the characters. I'd argue StarCraft also has (or had) plenty of potential in the same arena. I'd watch a Diablo "anime" ala Castlevania or Dragon Age. The only one they really tried with was Warcraft and maybe that put them off it (I actually enjoyed that movie though despite not being a WoW fan) but this extends to games too. I think there's plenty of potential for a StarCraft shooter (Ghost revival maybe?), or like a Warcraft tactics game, or maybe a Genji character action game, or some kind of Diablo spin off. I guess I can give them Heroes of the Storm at least.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it's Blizzard. A company that finally agreed to a Warcraft movie like 7 years too late.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I only got into Overwatch last year after OW2 released, but going back to watch all the cinematics and shorts starting from even before the release of OW1 was a real treat. Just genuinely excellent animation and character design.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Unfortunately, the closest thing we'll get to a film (within the foreseeable future at least) will be watching all the CG shorts together in chronological order (youtube it). Doesn't make for much of a coherent "movie", but it's still ~1h40m of some damn good animation for those who haven't seen them yet.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely, Blizzard did not expect the level of success this game would have and did not know what to do with it. That it's been revealed the original team's end goal was resurrecting fucking Titan explains how we got to where we are today. I have much more faith in the current team to do much more with the IP than the old one. We'll see how this all pans out, in August we're getting new cinematics with the first story mission releases if I'm not mistaken.

Oct 25, 2017
Because a quality show deserving of the OW IP needs a talented team and boatloads of time and money to materialize, and that's more work than AB is willing to commit to. They probably want VERY high involvement in how a show would be made, but for a scale that a 22 minute per 13 episode season would require is easier said than done.

And with how Arcane set the standard, I'm sure they don't just want to shit any old thing out.

Also I feel like OW's peak where a show like this would have really resonated is kind of over? Not sure if it is worth the investment especially if they can't monetize it other than licensing it to Netflix or someone.

Oct 25, 2017
My personal idea of the 'lore' is each match played is like "Rashmon" or the un-reliable narrator story-telling device. I think it's been done in games before too - I never played it but Call of Suarez is a game that, each time you die, you start back and the character says something akin to 'wait, no, that's not how it went with the bandits on the hill, etc' - I think.

So, the cinematics in Overwatch are all clearly "prequels" to the team being re-united/Winston's whole spiel but I understand Overwatch 2's going to be the actual storyline of what happens next.....not the matches themselves.

Still, I like my headcanon.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Because the franchise has been poorly managed almost since its inception. People have been yelling at blizzard for years for more story and cinematic or shows/cartoons. I guess the original plan was to introduce story with overwatch 2 and expand even more with the next sequel, but we've all seen how that's been going.