• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is your favorite RH game?

• Rhythm Tengoku

Votes: 42 21.5%
  • Rhythm Heaven

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever

Votes: 68 34.9%
  • Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Votes: 53 27.2%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The first time I played Rhythm Heaven was about... 8 years ago? Back then I managed to beat a bunch of the games, but eventually my playthrough was stopped by my DS' bottom screen breaking (which obviously isn't the best for a game that is controlled exclusively* through the touchscreen :P). Funnily enough, even before my eventual full playthrough this year and without really thinking about the game much, I still remembered so much of the music and timing for certain cues, which I guess should've been a warning of what would happen whenever I finally got around playing it again.

In case you don't know what Rhythm Heaven is, I'd say "Space Channel 5 meets Warioware" is not a terrible way to describe it. Each game is really a collection of smaller rhythm games that all play completely differently from each other with one key characteristic: there's no direct visual indicator for when exactly you need to place your inputs, which makes it much more about keeping an actual sense of rhythm than pattern recognition like most rhythm games (hence the SC5 comparison). Ranking is equally as invisible to the player - characters will generally always react to you messing up and viceversa, but you will never know exactly how well you did until you finish the game and get a "Try Again", "OK" or "Superb" ranking.

Anyways, long story short, with the broken touchscreen out of the way, a few months ago I figured it was finally time to revisit the game (and its sequel on the Wii) and well... it has pretty much taken control of my brain, to put it lighly. I truly can't get the stupid songs outside of my head to the point where sometimes I even find myself tapping to the rhythm or repeating some of the cues from the games without even realizing, it's absolutely fucked up. But well, that's probably the best thing you could say about a music-oriented game, istn't it? It's not only the incredibly catchy music either - the games' vibrant and unique artsyle and all the fluff text definitely helps it stick out on your memory for longer.

Personally, I like the DS game more than its sequel because it does really interesting things with the touchscreen that simply can't be replicated with buttons, even if it takes a while to get used to how to time the flicks and other motions. I also prefer the more rough pixelated sprites over the clean smooth lines from the later entries since it gives it a sorta lighthearted vibe that I love, and it's just a perfect fit for the system it was designed for. Anyways, the standouts for me for the first entry were:

Lockstep
tenor.gif
Lockstep was a game I initially dreaded, since it takes a while for your brain to adapt from tapping on-beat to going off-beat quickly. However, the more I played it the easier that the swap between the two became and now I pretty much don't have to think about it. Also loved the gag of the Stepswitchers forming a Bach portrait when the camera pans out.
DJ School
e6e52b5317c69456ebfdee3293cece0079bca0b2_00.gif
DJ School I loved from the very beggining. It's probably the easiest game in the whole package, but the music is very very catchy, the animations are great and DJ Yellow's cues are some of those that have been engraved in my brain for probably the rest of my life.
Love Lab
tumblr_inline_pake2dIc191ulyr6s_540.gif
Love Lab is probably my favorite game of the entire series. Everything here is on point, the gameplay, the music, the cute art; it's one of the easier ones once you get a hang of the shaking and throwing, but it just flows so well that the lack of difficulty doesn't even matter.
Fan Club
NNEg.gif
Fan Club is just too cute. It is the main culprit of not being able to hear the words "I suppose" without my mind immediately going back to Rhythm Heaven, but it's one of the best examples of how the touchscreen can be used for fun inputs that buttons can't easily replicate. Fan Club 2 in particular and its remixed versions are easily one of the most fun to play.
Blue Birds
tumblr_ndvgacFLT71qeie3mo1_500.gifv
Blue Birds is not particularly complex mechanically, but I had the hardest time getting the timing right for the consecutive peaks in Blue Birds 2 and playing this game over and over made me fall in love with the poor birds. They're just adorable.

After releasing the DS game, an entry for the Wii would shortly follow. Rhythm Heaven Fever is pretty much as iterative of a sequel as you could ask for, since there isn't really anything new in terms of game structure. You still get booted onto a menu where you play different rhythm games to progress, get medals to unlock extra content as a reward for doing well and that's pretty much it. This isn't a bad thing at all though, considering that it worked well for the DS game and such a straight-to-the-point game is also fitting for the Wii, and while it might not be particularly innovative, having pretty much no technological limitations for the game definitely shows. The music now is of much higher quality, the games themselves have much more detail going on, the remixes always have new art for the games featured in them, and there are more games in general compared to the DS entry.

The biggest change now is that instead of having a touchscreen to play around with, they've limited themselves to using only using A or A+B as inputs, which makes the game much easier to play. I liked the touch controls more because of their flexibility, but I can totally understand why someone would prefer Fever's streamlining. Anyways, my favorites of this one were:

Ringside
tenor.gif
Ringside is AWESOME, probably a top 3 game in the series. Not really sure what made it click with me so much, but "Wubba dubba dub is that true? Yes" is also one of those cues that just pops up in my mind every now and then for no reason.
FlockStep
BrokenTemptingDungenesscrab-size_restricted.gif
FlockStep is fairly not particularly unique mechanically since there's many games across the franchise that are basically the same "tap to the beat with a special input every now and then", but as weird as it sounds the fakeout nearing the end made it one of my favorite ones.
CheerReaders
tumblr_mihgknWqwX1r3lg5fo1_500.gifv
CheerReaders, on top of being a great pun, really shines once they start mixing different patterns at the same time and you have to keep track of when exactly it's your turn to flip the book in each of them. It's one of the most satisfying games to play on here, imo.
Tap Troupe
tumblr_nee6lux0ue1qeie3mo1_500.gifv
Tap Troupe is a sort of spiritual successor to Lockstep, so it's not surprising it was one of the ones I liked the most. Instead of alternating between on-beat and off-beat, you have to swap between different rhythms entirely which is mindbending at first. Like Lockstep though, with practice you will eventually be able to swap between them without thinking pretty much.
Board Meeting
tenor.gif
Board Meeting as a standalone game isn't the most engaging, since it's one of the first ones and it doesn't have an arranged version later on. However, it becomes much more interesting in the remixes (its appearances on Remix 9 in particular is so fun to play through).

It's been a while since I've had access to a 3DS, so unfortunately while I'd love to I can't check out Megamix (though it's mostly remakes right? so not really missing much I guess). I really, really hope Nintendo is planning on giving the series another entry for the Switch once Wario is out of the way, with the Switch being an hybrid system they could potentially get the best of both worlds when it comes to inputs and to be honest I just really need more Rhythm Heaven. It doesn't help that as far as I know there isn't really much like it out there, and certainly not with the same charm.

Oct 25, 2017
I've sadly never played the GBA game, so of the DS and Wii games, Rhythm Heaven is my favourite. There's something about the tactile feeling you get with a touchscreen that makes it very satisfying. It almost feels like playing an instrument.

kids flying through space juggling soccer balls is both funny and disturbing:
www.youtube.com

[Rhythm Heaven] - Remix 6 (Perfect) (English)

[ENGLISH RH] Gameplay "perfect" of this game: Rhythm Heaven for DS (from Chile). -Minigame: Remix 6 (Perfect). Enjoy.-Description of Minigame: It's time to m...

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I can't make my mind up between Rhythm Tengoku and Fever. I'll be a little surprised if someone says they'd vote something other than the first one they played, because getting your expectations subverted is never as impactful as the first time. But Rhythm Heaven Fever's finale was absolutely peak for me. Though I never could finish Megamix so I'm not sure if that one surpasses it. Too bad they decided that the most important part of Rhythm Heaven is what happens between the minigames, since you couldn't skip any of the mind numbing story.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to god if they don't put an entry out on the Switch.

They're all basically perfect games, but Rhythm Heaven Fever specifically holds a special place in my heart. Remixes 9 and 10 are extremely top tier.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I loved Rhythm Heaven Fever a ton. I worked at a GS at the time and we had it on our demo unit for what seemed like ages. We would always play it when no one was in the shop and I ended up buying a copy and hunting down the DS version. The game must have not done too great since it went on sale for like $10 during the Pro Day thing and I ended up buying a bunch of copies to give to friends as gifts over the holidays. I am still mad the 3DS version never got a physical release in the US.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I would not call that a mistake ^^

I love Rhythm Heaven so much. It sucks me in like no other rhythm game does. One of the things I like about it compared to other rhythm games is that you don't have to press too many buttons too quickly, but in exchange you have to be pretty precises with your timing. It feels more manageable and also more about feeling the rhythm to me.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Amazing series. With series creator and composer Tsunku thankfully surviving laryngeal cancer, I hope the next installment isn't too far away. He wants to see it happen too!

Megamix is absolutely worth checking out though OP; even if a majority of it is remade content from the previous games, there's still some new stuff worth playing there.

Last edited:

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I loved the DS game, I got a copy of the Wii version but was never able to play it :( I'd love to see a new one on Switch, especially now that we're getting a new Wario Ware.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
thanks to this series, every time some dialogue somewhere ends with "i suppose", i just imagine the follow up being "i suppose, yeah!"

Amazing series. With series creator and composer Tsunku thankfully surviving laryngeal cancer, I hope the next installment isn't too far away. He wants to see it happen too!

Megamix is absolutely worth checking out though OP; even if a majority of it is remade content from the previous games, there's still some new stuff worth playing there.

aw yes! i had only heard when he was sick but never looked up if he had recovered. good to see everything's fine.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Man I loved playing Fever with my cousins. So many memories.
Sometimes we still will quote the game to each other even almost a decade lader

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Really want to run into an arcade machine one day.

If you're in the NYC area, there's one in a Round1 Arcade, not far in Long Island. That's where I found the arcade machine. It was really fun... It has a pretty cool remix of Remix 1's music:

Fun fact: this arcade Rhythm Tengoku was made by SEGA and runs on Naomi (basically Dreamcast hardware), so in a pretty convoluted, not-quite-accurate way, one could argue it's a Nintendo game on Dreamcast, lol. I'm pretty sure it'll work in Dreamcast emulators, too.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of Megamix. Now I see it's download-only in NA, and the physical versions from other regions are locked.

Boo, Nintendo, boo.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
My first imported game ever is the GBA original. I played the shit out of it and the drumming lessons are insane for fingers coordination

Apr 19, 2018
If you're in the NYC area, there's one in a Round1 Arcade, not far in Long Island. That's where I found the arcade machine.

The Hicksville location near Ikea, right? I usually spend all my time and money on the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy All-Star Carnival cabinet there instead. ;)

Rhythm Heaven arcade can be a fun experience for two-player competitive play, but otherwise it's a mostly pared down port of the GBA original.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
How funny you make this thread the same night I finally give Rhythm Heaven Silver a go on my Micro.
(it's the fan translated version of the original)
The Hicksville location near Ikea, right? I usually spend all my time and money on the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy All-Star Carnival cabinet there instead. ;)

Rhythm Heaven arcade can be a fun experience for two-player competitive play, but otherwise it's a mostly pared down port of the GBA original.
There at least one unique track on the arcade version though

Toti

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
I never played a game of the series but after this thread I'm curious to give it a try. I've got a 3ds so I could play Rhythm paradise or Rhythm paradise megamix, they both cost around 10 €. Which one would you recommend me the most?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Rhythm Heaven is amazing and done absolute justice by the OP taking advantage of the site's new formatting options.

I've been diving back into the 3DS eShop and Megamix has been sitting on my wishlist forever. Gotta grab it and the good Mario & Luigi games (for sure Superstar Saga+ and Bowser's Inside Story) before the inevitable closure of the 3DS eShop sometime in the next 3 years.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need a Switch version so badly, hell even if they simply port Megamix over, I'd be all over it. This series and absolutely amazing and with the composer being in good health again (thankfully), I can't wait for them do get around to it.

Really want to run into an arcade machine one day.

I've come across this a few years ago in London, it's basically the GBA game but blown out of proportions. Still, I can't deny that the novelty of playing it this way wasn't pure bliss. Had a blast going through some of the tracks.

I never played a game of the series but after this thread I'm curious to give it a try. I've got a 3ds so I could play Rhythm paradise or Rhythm paradise megamix, they both cost around 10 €. Which one would you recommend me the most?

Get Megamix, it includes tracks from all three games and a ton of new ones.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Rhythm Heaven on the DS will always be my favorite. Beat Fever but preferred the stylus gameplay of the DS. Felt way more efficient. Haven't beaten the 3DS mega mix one though… I should really get on it 🤔.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Great formatting with the OP. I want to check one of these out.

Is there much text/dialogue or can it be appreciated in another language? Saw one in a German gamestop the other day.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Don Don Pan Pan
Dondo Pan Pan

It's been approximately 15 years since I played Rhythm Tengoku and that thing still popped into my head. The series is crazy full of absolute earworms.

Great formatting with the OP. I want to check one of these out.

Is there much text/dialogue or can it be appreciated in another language? Saw one in a German gamestop the other day.

I don't think so, I played the original GBA game in Japanese years ago and still enjoyed it very much.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
To add again on the GBA version, here are all the games, for a GBA the sound quality is amazing!

In the extras you had the drumming lessons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gck1ULDvlU
Then you could play and record drums on several tracks of the game

There was so much great content, the thread made me want to pop it up in the console tonight! :)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
They're all great (although I never actually got that far with the Wii version, the biplane tennis I just struggled with)... but I imported the GBA one, and I think it's closest to my heart. Both:

are two which I listen to when I want to cheer up, they're just so much fun.

(I guess there's an English patch now? I really struggled figuring out the actions for the rapping game way back when)

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Megamix is awesome and the final remix is incredible because its a medly of all the main title themes from the whole series.

If you want to try a rhythm heaven game now and have a 3ds the easiest thing to do is buy it if you see it anywhere from your region.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
AAAAH! I love this series. I have good memories of playing Rhythm Tengoku on my GBA back when it first came out. The arcade version in Japan is hilarious too. The unit controls are just giant GBA buttons.

pssizxvfdktz.jpg