• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
ACtC-3fbHTpVQHM8256Ut3xpfEmM_E1dPpof_DL0KhkwdLyqLOUxIIV78_jyGbK307zz9EHNNZwCc0WaatGMx8c5moUjtBfG_x8h8Hz-Qe14YIqZ5adkm4tDTq7c63kpXmOQ-zMiumhow_GxN-rr8dkoNlsMNQ=w2736-h1330-no

Morning routine: I weigh 21 grams of coffee beans and depending on the bean I grind on a setting between 4A and 6W on my Vario. Then I use the V60 and pour about 60 grams of boiling water to bloom for a while and like James Hoffman suggested I give it a swirl, and then slowly pour up to 350 ml of water and let it drain completely. I don't give it a second swirl because with the beans I'm currently using like a lighter and more fruitier balance.

ACtC-3esD2pyGoyUOy-LP9ZmU6hQt5F34wX50xnX9aeSDTqYRnbu8VPRlay5X_5RtB-l0o4mKOLdNgBmQipFunDo81A3m_Onfj3Dv2BahxqDa1Myv5wakoVVHCm1mbUbcJyqs-isVRoDA8yTilngvz1iK4teHQ=w2614-h1490-no

Evening routine: I grind around 17 grams of espresso beans on setting 1E on my Vario, use a double dose basket (because I somehow lost the single dose one), put a lot of force on the coffee with the tamper. I pull, hold and release the lever on my Elektra and wait for drops of espresso to come out, then I release the lever and after around 16 seconds I pull the lever again and release. Usually a double espresso takes around 28 - 35 seconds which seems totally fine with my espresso-machine.

Favorite coffee roasters: The Barn (Berlin), Coffee Collective (Denmark), Caffènation (Belgium).

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
I turn on my dear Silvia before i get into the shower to get her ready. After i have cleaned the night off and enter the room again she is all hot and ready to go...
I take my big 58mm filter and grind not once, but twice for 2.45 seconds while i jiggle the shaft gently. A fresh scent fills the room with memories of the past and the promise of a good day that is about to start.

I let out a little water, making sure everything is perfect and the vessel is clean and ready to recieve the nectar. I put it in and pull it tight.. I gather myself, making sure everything is set, no leaks or accidents today, OK.

While Biting my lips gently i use my thump to get the show started. The liquids start flowing, at first gently with a few drops, then a steady stream.. I count the seconds, gently steady easy, everything is going as planned. Not to fast, not to slow, just right as it should be.

25 seconds after the first drop it's all over. Silence fills room with only the sound of some droplets still falling. I gently wipe off the opening and any spray that might have occurred.

I take my prize, and begin to leave the room... halfway out, i look over my shoulder and mumble "see you again tomorrow my love"

featuring:
the lovely miss. Rancilio Silvia E
the fantastic Baratza Sette 270 grinder
the tasty Yirgachefe dark roast.
(Beza, Impact Roasters Denmark)

Last edited:

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I use my burr wilfa grinder(very happy with it, don't remember the model number) which I trial and error tested until I got my required number of grams after grinding. (I marked the spot on the grinder in case I want to change the setting)

Then I simply drip brew up an whole pot which I pour into an thermos & mug. That tides me over for the work day at home.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My ritual until today is around 19g of coffee ground from my Brazta Virtuoso + for 7.7 seconds. Toss that into an Aeropress with the Fellow Prismo attachment (essentially a closed seal so you can use the Aeropress full immersion style without having to flip it upside down). 30 seconds of stirring. Pressed at a minute. Gets a pretty decent beefy "shot" that I throw on top of half a cup of 206* water.

However. My tax return showed up this morning and today is finally the day! The Breville Barista Express will be here by 10pm! Tomorrow morning is going to be a whole new world.
71y3bDHHhcL._AC_SL1181_.jpg

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Recently, it's an Aeropress every morning.

lol Im not, im just new to watching his videos so i figure id give it a try. i hated his recent utimate aeropress recipe, i have no idea how he came up with that because me and my friends tried it and it was a watery mess.

Try grinding finer, if it's coming out "watery" it sounds like it's not extracting enough. I did Hoffman's recipe this morning with 12.5g grounds and it came out sublime.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Recently, it's an Aeropress every morning.

Try grinding finer, if it's coming out "watery" it sounds like it's not extracting enough. I did Hoffman's recipe this morning with 12.5g grounds and it came out sublime.
Yeah, I used it and it was pretty good, I still like inverted better tho.
But the tips about time, how to plunge and the water at the very end made it easier. I was following a recipe that was more complex, and I get the same results or even better easier now.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I have a similar machine to you OP. Except it has a dial instead of a screen.
we've used it every day for a few years, and before that I used to use the commercial machine at work, making about 4 coffees and frothing milk every day for about 4 years. It is really a long process to get consistent and good results. So many variables to get right, but when you do get it right, it's brilliant.
I think that getting the milk right for a flat white is probably the trickiest part, for me at least.

these are the beans that I am into at the moment.
coffeesupreme.com

Ethiopia Guji Espresso

This Yirgacheffe comes to us from the Sede mill, situated just south of Yirgacheffe in the small village of Sede. It is a washed Grade 1 coffee selected by Heath during his last sourcing trip to Ethiopia. This is the espresso roast and it delivers all the classic Yirgacheffe flavours you would...

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, I used it and it was pretty good, I still like inverted better tho.
But the tips about time, how to plunge and the water at the very end made it easier. I was following a recipe that was more complex, and I get the same results or even better easier now.

I do it inverted too, I still don't like that coffee drips out the bottom even a little bit with the normal way and I really don't think the inverted method is difficult at all, so I flip onto the mug at 2:00 instead of the swirl and wait for 30s before plunging. Comes out great and uses far less coffee than I used to make it with.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a coffee machine and also tried Cafetières....however I keep going back to Lor instant coffee haha.
snapshotimagehandler_1062681357.jpeg

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I went down the coffee nerd rabbit hole ages ago and have been using an Aeropress for years. One or two scoops of beans/grounds depending on how strong I want the coffee.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly , in terms of time and economics, I feel a bit relieved that my plebian tastes are satisfied by a keurig K-Cup, or a trip to my local starbucks

Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do infusion brewing, grind 18g of coffee beans, wash paper filter and then fill up the dripper with 300ml of water. Add the ground and stir it, leave for 3 minutes and stir again waiting 20 or so seconds for the grounds to sink. Then just open the hole and let it pour down into a cup.

Pretty quick and easy, and best of all no babying it just let it sit while you do something else.

29020448-origpic-f50cdd.jpg

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I just purchased this beast: 1zspresso JX Pro manual grinder

And I have a V60 set coming later today. Hopefully going to master a nice pour over coffee.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a single cup maker. I scoop enough grounds (from a can) into a mesh cup up to the line, and throw it into the machine. I then pour water (from the tap) into the reservoir up to the line. I then hit the button. After, I make a mixture of Oat Milk and Coffee Mate creamer and use a frother to mix it and then combine it with the brew. I do this maybe 2-3 times a week.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I used to have a full on espresso machine and burr grinder. But sold it and now I drink peasant instant coffee.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
My ritual until today is around 19g of coffee ground from my Brazta Virtuoso + for 7.7 seconds. Toss that into an Aeropress with the Fellow Prismo attachment (essentially a closed seal so you can use the Aeropress full immersion style without having to flip it upside down). 30 seconds of stirring. Pressed at a minute. Gets a pretty decent beefy "shot" that I throw on top of half a cup of 206* water.

However. My tax return showed up this morning and today is finally the day! The Breville Barista Express will be here by 10pm! Tomorrow morning is going to be a whole new world.
71y3bDHHhcL._AC_SL1181_.jpg
Thats my machine. It's excellent. I use it daily. The grinder can be a mixed bag but it does the job good enough.

Anyone has a place they get beans from aside local coffee shops? I've been subscribed to Atlas Coffee Shop for a while but wanted to try a new thing along the local beans

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I start by harvesting fresh coffee cherries and then feeding them to my small private flock of Asian palm civets. I then sift through their fecal matter for the partially digested coffee cherries which are then ready for roasting, grinding, and brewing a perfect cup of kopi luwak.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Haven't weighed coffee ever I think, just eyeballed it. I've got a Breville smart grinder pro:

oVXEIFll.png

Eyeball the setting based on how the shot pours. Currently set up at a grind size of 17 for a grind time of 15 seconds with the blend I've got. I've been wanting to upgrade my sunbeam mini barista for awhile now but it just keeps trucking along.

I bought one of these and a Bambino when lockdown happened last year. I usually drink a blend from a local roaster (Twin Peaks, profiler) I grind on 14 and my double pull is set for 35 seconds.

On weekends I buy a small barista milk, it's calorific so it's a treat, but it really elevates my mediocre skills.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a similar Breville I inherited from my aunt with a non-working grinder - which is fine, as the whole machine with hopper does not fit under my cabinets anyway. I stopped grinding my own beans for convenience (well, most of the time) and use this pre-ground brick coffee that has been totally fine for me.

81ZrdcRRghL._SY445_.jpg

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do pour over with a v60 and espresso with a cafelat robot. 20 grams for 305 grams with the v60 and 15 grams for ~35 grams with the robot. I use a baratza encore for pour over and a jx pro for the robot. I tend to buy my beans from black and white coffee in raleigh/wake forest and will switch it up with onyx coffee lab in arkansas. those are the two best coffee roasters I've tried so far. for pour over I tend to gravitate to colombian and ethiopian light roasts, love anaerobic processed coffees. for espresso I like pretty much everything in the light medium to medium roast range but tend to go for regions that I don't really like for pour over stuff to get that variety. right now I'm working with a natural processed medium roast from the ngozi province, burundi, an anaerobic natural processed light medium roast from tolima, colombia, and an experimental anaerobic processed medium roast from sul de minas, brazil. delicious beans

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then I pull a double shot from a 54mm portafilter and aim for 30 seconds to get that perfect ratio. I didn't know what I was really getting myself into, but I was just fine with the Nespresso Vertuo Pods. Getting fresh coffee beans from a roaster here in the Pacific Northwest and grinding them is a game changer. Coffee just taste so much better! My current entry-level setup:

0lBZk82.jpg

Looks fantastic OP. How much did this setup cost you?

I'm just rocking a French press and entry level grinder from Cuisine Art. Still makes a great cup, but espresso is my favorite and I want to make my own someday.
What sort of coffee ritual do y'all got? Also, post your coffee setups.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20g of beans ground pretty coarse through a Macap MXA.
V60, 90C water
60ml for bloom
290ml to top it off.

Good enough

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Aeropress at home.

Usually buy small bags (250g) of coffee ground for Aeropress. Imbibe's coffee is really impressing me at the moment.

Pourover when in my favourite coffee shop if they're not busy.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Grind 45g of coffee in a Breville Smart Grinder Pro (Upgrading to fellow ode soon)
Brew in a Technivorm Mocamaster

Sometimes I mix it up and do a v60.

I'm really into coffee but not that into espresso. I actually had the same machine you do Earvin x Hunter, and returned it after a few months. With kids, the espresso routine just doesn't work for me, and my wife likes a solid 12 oz cup in the morning.

Oct 25, 2017
I start by harvesting fresh coffee cherries and then feeding them to my small private flock of Asian palm civets. I then sift through their fecal matter for the partially digested coffee cherries which are then ready for roasting, grinding, and brewing a perfect cup of kopi luwak.

How many of the little fellas do you have?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have a few friends that do alot of this, but one roasts their own beans and most of time it's either a french press or pour over. Both make amazing cups of coffee. My home brew is now a Cuisinart with a built-in hopper and burr grinder. It makes a decent cup of coffee, but I'm still slumming it with store brand beans.

Tbh, I'm fine with making a decent cup of coffee, saving the real special stuff for the weekends.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
I took this picture the other day to share my herb garden, but I guess it captures the coffee setup too. Depending on the time of day, volume of coffee needed, and how busy I am, it's either:
  • 22g in the Kalita Wave pour over
  • 50g in the Espro P5 French press
  • 60g in the Chemex
  • 35g (half pot) or 50g (full pot) in the Ninja
xM87K6C.jpg

edit: There's also a Filtron cold brew maker that I don't leave out because it's hideous, but I've got several bottles of concentrate in the fridge from my last batch. That takes 1lb of coffee per batch. I use cheap stuff for that.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Honestly my whole routine was shattered by James Hoffman's new aeropress technique. Basically:

12g freshly ground coffee (I'm using a baratza encore) ground medium fine to fine. Add 200g boiling water and let sit for 2 minutes. Then gently swirl entire setup and let rest another 30 seconds before gently pressing.

Honestly less effort than what I was doing with inverting my aeropress and blooming. hell, I don't even need to use a stir stick for this method and it turns out pretty well.

Blockade85

Dec 4, 2018
Well, I have a single cup coffee maker that I take a couple tablespoons of coffee from the bag, dump them in the refillable basket thing, then I fill my coffee mug up with water, and pour the water in the water holder (receptacle?) . Then I hit the button to start it, wait a couple minutes, and when it's done, toss a tablespoon of sugar and an undetermined amount of creamer in and drink it. It's not one bit sophisticated, but, it's coffee, and it gets me through the afternoon at work. The various machines in the thread seem daunting, really interesting, but daunting since I'm not too picky over coffee.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I want to upgrade from a Nespresso to a espresso machine.

According to r/Coffee anything which costs less than a bitcoin is trash.

Is there any recommendation around 300 bucks, if it tastes like Nespresso I'm good.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Is there a secret to coffee grinding? I had a stand one that wasn't cheap but was constantly getting jammed. Am I really supposed to clean it after every grind? I switched to using a simpler handheld one.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm definitely more simple than a few of you folks. I do the 35g in a Capresso conical then fill the pot at the bottom of my vacuum brewer, toss the grinds into the top and hit the button. It's a little (lot) less "trouble" than doing my Aeropress or Chemex and the wife can do it with ease, as well. At work, when I go back to the office, my morning coffee will likely be a return to the Chemex I keep on my desk.

If I was at someone's house and I asked to make coffee and found this in the kitchen I would probably leave immediately

Nespresso > this monstrosity
No no no. Don't do this. :(
You don't need a super huge, expensive or complicated setup for good coffee. Just get some decent beans, grind them, brew it in something that makes sense.
YQUOTE="Grimm Fandango, post: 63795102, member: 23659"]
I use an OXO conical burr grinder with Aeropress. Good enough for me.
[/QUOTE]
Ooooh I put this on my list of grinders to look at if either of my Capresso grinders ever go boom. It's a little cheaper, at the least.

Chouster

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a secret to coffee grinding? I had a stand one that wasn't cheap but was constantly getting jammed. Am I really supposed to clean it after every grind? I switched to using a simpler handheld one.

I have a Baratza grinder that I haven't cleaned once since I got it 2 years ago. It hasn't jammed.

As for what I use:

kalita-large-stainless-dripper.jpg
61ELR-Bnl8L._AC_SY741_.jpg

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Stainless moka pot (8 oz) and cafe bustelo is what I have in the mornings. I paid $35 for the Moka pot and a can of Bustelo is like $3.50 and lasts a couple of weeks. Stronger and better than drip brew, no k-cup polluting madness or fiddling with knobs/weighing/grinding.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
In 2019 I upgraded from buying ground coffee to getting an electric blade grinder and buying whole beans. After a year of procrastinating I finally got myself an aeropress and a mechanical grinder and it has been life changing.

I started out measuring our 30g of beans with 100g of water via the inverted method and then would dilute with 120g of water after the brewing process, but lately I've been cutting the amount of beans and half and maintaining the same amount of water. Not as strong but still tastes great to me, but every once in a while I do go back to 30g.

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Sage Barista Express,

18g in, 36g out currently 29 seconds and it tastes fantastic.
Bought it just before Christmas and took a while of dialing in and getting used to but there's no way I could go back now. I don't even bother with coffee shops as the ones near me (Costa) all taste bitter and over extracted