• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I love this question!

I didn't start playing video games until the DS era. I'm sure I would have loved Splatoon as a kid.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I could show my early 2000s self what Monster Hunter World Iceborne looks like, compared to the PSP offerings I was playing, I'm pretty sure my head would have exploded.

Aside from that, something Like Elite Dangerous or No Mans Sky would have done the same thing to any version of my kid self

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro Reignited Trilogy. As a kid, I played the first three Spyro games so many times, and seeing it remade like this would blow my mind

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
As much as I actually really dislike Pokemon Sword and Shield, these games would have taken over my life and completely blown my mind as a little Pokemon Red-obsessed kid.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I'd have to show that little Final Fantasy nerd the FFVIIR announcement trailer and blow his little cans off. He's not allowed to play it, because he'd be more pissed off than present day me, but for the next 20 years he'll live in ignorant bliss.

actthafool

Oct 27, 2017
I was racing game mad as a kid so Forza Horizon 4. The graphics and open world would have blown my tiny mind.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Half Life Alyx….the game feels like it is from the future already. I think past me would have just considered it magic (however it is also a bit of a trick as nothing else in VR even comes close in my opinion).

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky.
That would probably send 12yr old me into a coma from having one's mind blown away.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Kid me's favorite series were Pokemon and Final Fantasy, but modern FF is so unlike the SNES/PS1 days that I don't know that showing kid me XV or XVI would really have the desired impact. So my vote has to be Pokemon Sword/Shield. Or maybe World of Final Fantasy to get the best of both worlds, lol.

Xenoblade 1 DE or 2 might also be a good answer. Seeing just how massive and beautiful RPG worlds could become would be truly something.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Same answer I gave last time:

SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg

Really if I showed this to myself back in 2016 I'd still have my mind blown.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Easy. FF7 Remake. It was my favorite game as a kid and I probably wouldn't even believe what I was looking at.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Hollow Knight. I was playing a lot of indie Metroidvanias, and a game that polished, professional, and pretty would have blown my mind.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
10-14 year old me : DBZ Kakarot. Despite its issues, it's pretty much the DBZ game I dreamed of back then.

14-18 year old me : DCS World in VR. Back then I was obsessed with fighter jets (guess I still am lol) and played all the sim games I could get my hands on. If you had told me one day I'd play one in full VR with realistic interactive cockpits, quality HOTAS gear etc, it would have blown my mind.

Younger than 10, maybe the recent Captain tsubasa game, since I loved the old NES game back then. The animations would have blown me away for sure.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Cyberpunk running on a 3080

The scale of the city and RT effects is pretty mind blowing even right now if the hardware can handle it, and I'm old enough that even though its pretty standard fare for open world "RPGs" that the game play would have still blown me away as a kid.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Psychonauts 2 - never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it would get a sequel, let alone, one that looks this good. It was one of the first games I bought with my own money and I remember myself feeling so sad when news came it didn't sell well.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
RE7 in VR.

My current self still cant wrap my head around this game. I legit cannot get off the start menu.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Zelda BotW

This game paved its way to reignite my flame for the Zelda series (since then played several since it's initial release) and will be playing botw again on switch in the future

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
in 1988 I was 9 years old and was playing Outlaws on C64
256px-Outlaws_1.png

If a portal opened and I was shown Red Dead Redemption 2 I would have gone insane
260px-Red_Dead_Redemption_2_gameplay.jpg

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
As a younger me obsessed with Super Mario World, I think I'd of said you were a liar if I was seeing this as a video game…that you could actually move. Hell I don't even know if I'd of bought it as a movie
I mean to go from this….
QCbY.gif

To THIS!!!!
giphy.gif

4R8K1V.gif

2p3U.gif

N9x1MD.gif

gL5XwG.gif

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
The very first game I fell in love with and spent hours upon hours playing and eventually beating was Pitfall on the Atari 2600. I played it for a good 2-3 years when I was a kid. This is like 1985.

Because Pitfall was my shit, I would show myself Uncharted 2 (maybe 4 since the visuals are better) and I would probably die from shock.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I would go nuts for Turok 2008. All that Dino Carnage and the knife kills. So good.

Might not be a newer title, but I know even my younger self wouldn't be that impressed with graphics over having dream games realized.

I didn't even know there was a Turok 2008 but this looks awesome, lol

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I'm in a rough spot for that one.

A few short years after I was introduced to the nes, and learned to read (pretty sure my affinity for engrossing video games hyper accelerated my reading capability as a child) I stumbled across the colony on my dad's computer. (He had shown me his old game code books and I was currently in the process of transcribing the coding of biker Dave... Which instantly became shit I couldn't care less about).

Not much impressed me after that for a long while. Not where that engrossing adventure itch was concerned. Even other raycasting games. Somehow the colony had 3d objects instead of billboarded sprites, so chairs, toilets, and like everything was interactive, it would switch to a 2d picture as you pushed computer buttons and rummaged through desks, but like every button on everything functioned, from turning on and off the lights, to opening the airlock (and killing yourself).... Or picking up a cigarette in an ash tray (and.... Killing yourself smoking is harmful to your health). It felt like a coherent organic world instead of an obstacle course of a level. You had to explore the world, find the colony, figure out what happened, get stuff to repair your ship and escape the planet. It felt so coherent compared to level based games. On a replay I found out you could also save the colonists kids.

I think it was..... 7... 8 years later with system shock that I felt a sense of satisfaction for that kind of game world again.

It would probably be Metroid prime if not for Subnautica. Building my own habitat, Making and exploring and figuring out how to use the cyclops for the first time would be pure crack for young me. Having to manually turn on the engine would be the cherry on top.

I think if I found out about a lot of the other games today, particularly the mainstream games where revenue models replaced game design, I'd be super disillusioned.

Last edited:

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Smash Bros Ultimate or Rift Apart. I was a huge fan of the original Smash Bros and couldn't imagine this big of a collab in my wildest dreams.

Regarding Rift Apart, my childhood self would be like "What is this PIXAR movie?"

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Would go show my child self Half Life Alyx on an Index, at around the time I saw Matrix 1 to make me think the stuff in the movie is real.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen it mentioned but I would say Forza Horizon 4. I grew up playing Pole Position with my father, going from that to something like Horizon would be insane. Its crazy seeing what I grew up playing to what I am playing now days.

Oct 27, 2017
As an RPG fan of the 80s and 90s, who was also interested in the idea of MMOs...

The Elder Scrolls Online

I would be absolutely blown away by the scope.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Final Fantasy 7 Remake- I used to imagine what Midgar would be like to live in, and I think this is the closest I could get to it.

BOTW- I spent countless hours on Zelda 1 and LTTP and to see it go from that to a vast open world would be mind blowing.

Horizon: Forbidden West- obviously just the trailer

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
The Last of Us: Part 2, easily.

Honestly, any Naughty Dog game - I would be absoloutely shocked by the visual quality and all the little details they throw in. Honestly, I still find myself shocked!

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
bloodborne. seeing as there was no such thing as 'video games' when i was a child, but there were h.p lovecraft stories, i would've been staggered...

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
I'd show my nine-year-old, Ikari Warriors-loving self some Returnal. He'd be impressed. He'd be disappointed that I wasn't a fireman, though

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, when I was a kid in my military shooter phase, CoDMW2019 would have made me lose my shit. Those NVG missions were crazy cool

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with something like RimWorld or Project Zomboid.

Titles with crazy-complex systems running under the hood. Making the possibility space unlike anything available back then.