Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
"Crisis maps" sounds like a huge red flag. Common tactic to get people to overwork. If you don't have the personnel, then hire more people. Instead you force managers to create lists of things that could be done, you know, wink wink, if people put in more hours.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. Is there any proof that RTO actually yields better results for jobs/industries like this? If so, I have yet to see it.

shox

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Is there any proof that RTO actually yields better results for jobs/industries like this? If so, I have yet to see it.

I've never seen any proof of it being beneficial. Dragonflight was and has been developed mainly with devs working from home. It forced Ion and his teams to find new ways of working together, resulting in the best WoW content for a long time. They're told to come back as soon as they ship the game with all these new systems in place. It's incredibly destructive and morale-killing after such a positive launch.

I know the type of people who make these decisions, and they absolutely cannot stand not knowing what their employees are doing 100% of the time. WFA is a loss of control for them, and they can't cope.

Oct 28, 2017
You would imagine of all companies that SHOULD be okay with WFH it would be Blizzard. Harder to do workplace harassment over remote.

And power to workers pushing against hybrid and return to office.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
You would imagine of all companies that SHOULD be okay with WFH it would be Blizzard. Harder to do workplace harassment over remote.

And power to workers pushing against hybrid and return to office.

Its the opposite for Blizzard - one of the ways they justify their lowball pay is because of the corporate culture and "prestige" of working for Blizzard. A lot of that loses its lustre if you aren't on their fancy campus designed to distract you from the fact that you are sleeping in your car.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
once you give seniors a taste of wfh, they're hooked, and if you force the issue, force rto, then off a bunch of them fly to wfh studios

personally I'm torn, i miss the physical studio , but the landscape has changed, and games were made and shipped and we have numbers now

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
In some cases if you hire someone who lives across the country or a different country entirely, then go... "oh hey, we're going to office, but only 3-4 days a week so that's super helpful!", yeah, that's not going to work out for some.

They need to be more flexible with this stuff and flatout not force it in some circumstances.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant strategy. Hemorrhage all the talent that created the best expac since Legion. Why do these morons always fail upwards?

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
iirc a lot of ms gaming / Xbox teams are still supporting hybrid wfh and wfo which imo is the best way to do it

It's a shame blizzard and ABK as a whole through their stubbornness are costing teams good workers this way

Maybe Xbox should just tap them on the shoulder to come work for their studios