• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people on this forum hate smart tv's but I love the convenience. I like not having to use two devices to watch something and I like not using additional power either. It's great. My tv has HBO Nordic, Netflix, Viaplay, Disney +, Whatever. All the apps I need and it's fast and it's great...

But the LG TV is from 2016 and so it won't get HBO Max which launches here in a week or two.

This harkens back to another thread I made once where I complained that you pay out of the ass for TV's that then don't get feature updates. Imagine if they did a new playstation every year and didn't update the old one, that's how it is with tv's except they are a lot more expensive. If LG had bothered to update the platform the tv was on then it would be easy for app developers to keep supporting the TV.

Anyways I just wanted to rant for a bit. Maybe you think it's great. What do I know. I hope that law they were talking about in germany that would force TV makers to update their tv's goes through and that it helps the rest of us too.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I have both a B6 and a CX. The app experience is pretty ass compared to an Apple Tv or Roku Ultra. I'd honestly rather the tv manufacturers just didn't bother. $80 Roku has lasted me multiple tv purchases and still offers a better experience than almost any new set. Either way, you should probably direct most of your ire towards HBO for not thinking your set's user base is big enough to spend money supporting it.

p.s. old man yelling at cloud

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm , I have a LGOLED55C8 and now I'm wondering if the HBO Max will appear on it? It would really suck if not. I do prefer have the app through the tv cause I don't want to have a lot of shit connected to it except a console or two.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Yeah it sucks. My mother had that issue, she wasn't able to get HBO Max or Disney Plus. Hulu was also outdated and not getting updates. I finally just bought her another TV when it went on sale.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah as a C6 owner it sucks that this TV that's otherwise still fantastic gets shafted when it comes to new apps.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm bummed out HBO MAX is not available in Europe.

I could use my XBOX S or Playstation 5 for the app but it's not even a service here yet.

And yeah, even with New TV's the app development is a nightmare, The C9 just got a Twitch app which launched barebones and recently got updated with basic functionality, Alexa app also JUST got released here on the C9.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I know people don't want to buy external streaming sticks / boxes, but there's a very good reason they exist.

Is my Apple TV 4K wasteful? Sure. It was expensive and it draws more power than the TV alone. But on the other hand, the TV's inbuilt apps are terrible, slow, out of date and so on, whereas the Apple TV is fast, intuitive, and mostly up to date.

There's a lot to be said for just pretending your smart TV isn't smart, leaving it disconnected from the internet, and using an external streaming device. You can turn a £1,500 problem into a £150 problem.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Ya I don't buy the tv for the apps I buy it for the screen quality. A 4k chromecast is like $50.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Only reason I even have a smart TV at all is that's just what most TVs are nowadays. I never use the apps, because I have several different devices that have them anyway. Even if I didn't, dedicated 4K devices with better support are cheap enough. And even as mainstream as smart TVs are, so many of them occupy the "shittily programmed, poorly supported, massive security risk" space so many other random "connected home" devices sit in.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I have a C7.
Change region to Mexico and download the app from the store. At least that's what I did and I have Max.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I bought my parents one of the last non smart TVs from Samsung in 2016/2017 ish.
It works well, I just get them a new Chromecast every couple of years.

Compared to my own 2016 smart tv that's barely chugging alone, it was clearly the right decision.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks but with A stick once it gets outdated you can replace it for a better model and keep the tv. I bought an LG last year and don't expect the apps to stay updated 5 years from now. I do know it'll still be good enough to do 4k at 120hz. Good enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Ah, don't you just love planned obsolescence?
I think with this kinda stuff it's less planned obsolescence and more "we don't have any kind plan at all". Unless they're licensing something like RokuOS to do it all for them, these internally made smart TV platforms are usually shoddy, ill-conceived, and poorly planned out, with unnecessarily bespoke versions. It's the same with most smart/connected devices outside of tablets/phones.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I have an LG B7 and was able to download HBO Max off the Mexican App Store. Not sure if that solution works for the prior year models.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
You have Spectrum cable? If so, HBO Max has an app on the cable box directly. If you dont have Spectrum or cable at all, sorry.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Its coming 26th October. The HBO Nordic app will stop working and HBO Max app will be available. Same account and cheaper/month as well.

I believe here in the Netherlands it's gonna be later, HBO has a exclusive contract with one of our TV/internet providers till the end of the year, We have regular HBO content through them but it's only regular HBO shows and nothing the good stuff on HBO Max. And we have to use the shitty windows 10 app or stream it to a chromecast from your phone since it's not on smart TVs.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the few reasons why I'm hesitant about buying an LG tv. I do not want a TV that doesn't get updates a few years down the line and frankly can't understand why it's allowed to do it like it's currently done.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few reasons why I'm hesitant about buying an LG tv. I do not want a TV that doesn't get updates a few years down the line and frankly can't understand why it's allowed to do it like it's currently done.
Then you'll be hesitant to buy any TV, LG might be one of the best support wise.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
this is why after market players still exist, and why I don't bother with the webos stuff, even on a CX.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of consumers feel the way the OP does and love smart tv apps.

I am with the tech bros on this one though.

My Samsung tv from like 2016 wouldn't need to be reset every 2 months because the OS would become bloated if I used any of the smart apps. It was such a piece of shit and when the OS was not working I couldn't even change the volume or inputs, it would just hang.

I have used dedicated hardware ever since.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
vincenthdtv had a good video explaining why they don't get updates…basically a company only has so many engineers, and the majority of them are assigned to building next year's model. then all the manufacturers are spitting out 5-10 models per year. LG has 4 OLED models this year for example (A, B, C, and G) that they have to support, while making ~4 new oled models for next year, and this is just oled. it's no surprise they have no resources or incentive to support a tv even 2 years old, which is why you should never buy a tv based on "future support". buy a streaming device, it will last longer than your tv…

this is all manufacturers, not just LG…LG supports older models well all things considered

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You can change your country and download it from Mexico (or Brazil). The HBO Max app suck though, but at least it works.

I use all built in apps from my CX and have very little to complain, at least for now it has all I need and performance is good (except for a few apps like HBO Max that are ugly and sttutery). Will definitely get the Google Android stick once I feel the TV is not getting decent support (or when Stadia launches here).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I know people don't want to buy external streaming sticks / boxes, but there's a very good reason they exist.

Is my Apple TV 4K wasteful? Sure. It was expensive and it draws more power than the TV alone. But on the other hand, the TV's inbuilt apps are terrible, slow, out of date and so on, whereas the Apple TV is fast, intuitive, and mostly up to date.

There's a lot to be said for just pretending your smart TV isn't smart, leaving it disconnected from the internet, and using an external streaming device. You can turn a £1,500 problem into a £150 problem.

This is pretty much it. I just ignore the smart TV apps and put an Apple TV on each display we own. Everything is always up to date and consistent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it sucks. My mother had that issue, she wasn't able to get HBO Max or Disney Plus. Hulu was also outdated and not getting updates. I finally just bought her another TV when it went on sale.
Very annoying. My older sony tv from 2013 at least still has netflix (although not much else).

I have the last generation of 3D tv. I mean beyond the prohibitively expensive price of a new OLED - theres also that issue. When my TV goes, so does my ability to watch 3D movies in all their glory. I love 3D movies so it super sucks.

Also lots of people in here advocating for 1. more electronic waste. 2. Additional power waste and 3. tv manufacturers delivering (incredibly expensive) products that doesn't work as specified for more than a year because if you just buy all these addon boxes, then you get the functionality the TV comes with anyways, so why not !

Jul 1, 2020
This is pretty much it. I just ignore the smart TV apps a d put an Apple TV on each display we own. Everything is always up to date and consistent.
Some smart TV manufacturers are also bad about selling data collected through the software running on the TV. Vizio is notorious for this because even when you turned the data collection off they still collected it and got sued.

www.theverge.com

Vizio settles FTC lawsuit and agrees to get viewer consent before tracking TV habits

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed out HBO MAX is not available in Europe.

I could use my XBOX S or Playstation 5 for the app but it's not even a service here yet.

And yeah, even with New TV's the app development is a nightmare, The C9 just got a Twitch app which launched barebones and recently got updated with basic functionality, Alexa app also JUST got released here on the C9.

I'm in the UK and you can just use an Nvidia Shield (or any other android tv device) to sideload the app and then use a VPN.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
the only option to not have the issue you note is to buy an android TV or Roku TV model. Even then, i have an older Roku TV and the performance is absolute dogshit that I barely use the Roku part of it. I have a newer Sony Android TV and its fantastic, but i have no idea how long that will last.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Go Buy TV that use an Android OS such as SONY, Mi, Sharp, Phillip etc etc

Samsung and LG use their OS that app Developer use different tool to make for each brand. And they slower update

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, this is a problem with Crunchyroll. It isn't on Samsung TVs.. although Funimation is. The Funimation app really sucks in general compared to CR too so it's a real shame. There's an absolute ton of random as hell apps on the Samung interface, so I just don't get it. At least it's on PS5 and Xbox though and my other TV uses Android.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You buy a TV for what it does have, not for what it might have in the future. I think regular security updates might be the only thing anyone could reasonably ask of a TV manufacturer.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
LG's WebOS is fantastic and their apps are super snappy, the apps just take a while to get there.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Does your tv have chromecast or a variant? You can use the app on your phone and it would stream to your television. You can also use an Xbox or Playstation if you have one of those. At least until you upgrade.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
App updates are a big reason why I went with an Apple TV. TV manufacturers are notoriously unreliable when it comes to this stuff.

My advice is to bite the bullet and buy some kind of third party device.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily you can just throw on a Fire stick or whatever.

But yeah, this is one of the reasons I don't like smart TVs. 2016? Abysmal of them not to still be supporting it correctly. And fully.

If these companies can get away with it, they will. "Just another reason to upgrade." I'm sure is their mentality.

I'm only using the smart aspect of my X900E out of pure necessity.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
A few people have made the comment but just try the Spanish translation trick. Took me literally a minute changing my LG CX to spanish/Mexico found HBO max, installed and switched back to English. Works perfect.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Tried setting service location to Mexico on my C6 and couldn't find HBO so I guess my TV is just too old. At least I was able to get Apple TV+

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
The last 3D OLED TV. 😔
Yeah. That's the whole reason I got the TV that I got. Love 3D movies personally. It's too bad most people who tried getting 3d tv's were tainted by watching them through non 4k oled passive 3d glasses.

Tried setting service location to Mexico on my C6 and couldn't find HBO so I guess my TV is just too old. At least I was able to get Apple TV+
I'm European, my tv can't even choose Mexico hah !

All the people recommending whatever stick. Does it even work with the LG magic wand remote ? otherwise you are basically saying to (beyond the earlier 3 points), also use a different remote and interface with the tv using something else than a pointer device which ruins a lot of what's great about lg tv's.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I cant get DisneyPlus on my TV or an app for the playstation due towhat I think are rights issues or something here. Makes it a pain to use for casual viewing as I have to hook an ipad up so suffice to say I dont usually bother.