• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Randomly saw this listed up on Netflix and decided to give it a much overdue rewatch.

An absolute gem of a movie, I can't believe it's 19 years old!

It may be my ultimate comfort film.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
these are the coolest dudes ever

00015a26decc2b375e8c956f659bf27b828dbe82.gifv

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Yes Shaolin Soccer is another brilliant one!

Well overdue a rewatch itself.

Hit me with more suggestions please :)

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant movie.

So different to anything else and they pull it off flawlessly.

Also echoing Shaolin Soccer. I can't choose between those movies as to which one I like more.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
One of the only movies I went and bought right after catching it randomly on tv.

I remember I was half-studying for a final exam I had coming up, but I couldn't help but finish watching it when it was playing.

Great movie

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its somehow both the best live action looney tunes and live action anime movie at the same time.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Blu-ray of this. A handful of movies I own physically.

Who's throwing handles?

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
The scene when the landlady and landlord get serious will always be great to me, they fuck those musicians up good.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
One of the greatest martial arts movies! Stephen Chow is a uniquely adapt at blending slapstick zaniness, absurd infantile humor, and legitimate emotional/lovable characters. A total gem of a creator.

OP, if you haven't, Everything Everywhere All At Once hits a similar blend. Would be shocked if they weren't Chow fans. Check it out if it's playing in your are.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of my favourites of all time.

One of the greatest martial arts movies! Stephen Chow is a uniquely adapt at blending slapstick zaniness, absurd infantile humor, and legitimate emotional/lovable characters. A total gem of a creator.

OP, if you haven't, Everything Everywhere All At Once hits a similar blend. Would be shocked if they weren't Chow fans. Check it out if it's playing in your are.
I have heard really good things about this, will definitely check it out if it will hit similar to Kung Fu Hustle!

TheOneRing

Oct 26, 2021
Hit me with more suggestions please :)

I love The Mermaid probably my third favourite Stephen Chow film after Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer. It is his take on The Little Mermaid however I will note he is only a director in this one he doesn't star. His best recent work also in my opinion coming out in 2016.

From Beijing with Love is a Bond spoof starring and co directed by Chow, one of his better films but an earlier work coming out about a decade before KFH and SS.

Also this BBC documentary. with an unfortunate name that does it a disservice, has a pretty great interview with Stephen Chow who explains his influences and film making style and also dives into what makes/made Hong Kong cinema so great. The interview starts around 14 minutes into the video but I recommend watching the whole thing, it also has clips from throughout his filmography up to that point and so could give you some other suggestions if any of the clips interest you.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

I've been checking dailly since the impressions for the film dropped, but still no word on a UK release :(

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I've been checking dailly since the impressions for the film dropped, but still no word on a UK release :(

Yeah it seems to be having a slow roll out. I've seen it twice at the cinema here in Vancouver.

I was raving about it on my IG and UK friends were asking when it was coming. I thought I read it may be going straight to streaming over there which would suck as it deserves to be seen on a massive screen.

Apr 19, 2018
I love The Mermaid probably my third favourite Stephen Chow film after Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer. It is his take on The Little Mermaid however I will note he is only a director in this one he doesn't star. His best recent work also in my opinion coming out in 2016.

This sequence is classic Chow-directed slapstick-ery. Also: dancing!

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad Chow became such a pro-Beijing shill shortly after this movie, moved to Beijing and denounced his roots, vowed to not make movies in his mother tongue Cantonese anymore and went full on anti Hong Kong's democracy protests.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love this movie and can't count how many times I've seen it. One of my favorite Stephen Chow movies including Shaolin Soccer, Royal Tramp 1 and 2, Tricky Brains, God of Gamblers 2, Flirting Scholar, and Hail the Judge.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Some of Stephen's older stuff are also hidden gems. I don't remember which film, but I remember this one scene with his character being chased around by a bunch of guys in Garfield costumes lol

TheOneRing

Oct 26, 2021
This sequence is classic Chow-directed slapstick-ery. Also: dancing!

Yeah that scene is great, I love the slapstick.

It seems like slapstick humour has disappeared recently last great slapstick film I remember watching was Extreme Job from South Korea.
Some of Stephen's older stuff are also hidden gems. I don't remember which film, but I remember this one scene with his character being chased around by a bunch of guys in Garfield costumes lol
Love on Delivery, another early gem of his.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
The fucking music in this movie is just so perfect and beautiful. Especially during the fights.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I remember nothing from this movie despite remembering enjoying it when it opened. I was the only person in the theatre.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Holy shit I can't believe I forgot about this movie. I remember seeing it as a kid with my dad at the cinema and having a blast! Definitely recommend it. I'm going to have to give it another watch tonight.

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit I can't believe I forgot about this movie. I remember seeing it as a kid with my dad at the cinema and having a blast! Definitely recommend it. I'm going to have to give it another watch tonight.
I was actually just rewatching this with my father for the first time in years when I made this thread.

Its still a fantastic movie!

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I love this film. The scenes when the landlady and her husband teleport behind the bad guys always makes me laugh like an idiot.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
www.gq.com

Bill Murray on Ghostbusters 3, Get Low, Ron Howard, and Kung Fu Hustle

He is one of the greatest comic actors alive. A man who's navigated his career with a peerless instinct for quality and self-respect. The man behind movies—from Caddyshack to Stripes, from Rushmore to Lost in Translation—that seem to have defined a dozen different moments in our cultural life...

Are you ever going to direct again? Quick Change is really one of the great lost movies about New York.
It's great. It's a great piece of writing. And how about the cast? You couldn't get that cast together for all the tea in China right now. I mean, Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub…

Oh shit. The bluftoné. I forgot about the bluftoné.
Bluftoné! [laughs] Shalhoub gives one of the greatest comic performances I've ever seen! Though I do like Michael Caine and Maggie Smith in California Suite. Unfortunately, the last time I watched it was right after Kung Fu Hustle, which is the supreme achievement of the modern age in terms of comedy.

Kung Fu Hustle?
It's not even close. Quick Change after it looked like a home movie. It looked like a fucking high school film. I was like, "Oh man, I just saw this thing," and "God, that's just staggering, just staggering. That movie is just AHHHHHH!" And when I saw that, I was like: That. Just. Happened. There should have been a day of mourning for American comedy the day that movie came out.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Classic

Did Stephen Chow ever make anything even half as entertaining after that?

I remember he was attached to a lot of projects after SS and KFH but I have no idea what happened to then...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Shaolin Soccer & Kung Fu Hustle were peak Stephen Chow, in my opinion.

Amongst all the films he's involved, those two probably the most back-to-back ingenious, fun, and hilarious films he's ever created/directed.