• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing people get their comics on their phones and tablets now tho right? Like comixology, even I have got some thru that (am very casual).

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Manga is going through a historically high boom in the USA and Europe right now. They can't keep volumes of the big series in print due to demand.

That's before you even consider Japan... Which... Yeah...

EoA6OVyXMAwffoR-1024x632.jpeg
Did demon slayer get an extra digit by accident or did it really sell ten times more than the next closest.

because

WHAT THE FUCK

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Did demon slayer get an extra digit by accident or did it really sell ten times more than the next closest.

because

WHAT THE FUCK

Demon Slayer is an absolute juggernaut. Especially after the season and the movie. First book to outsell One Piece in many years.

Jujutsu Kaisen should have crazy high sales this year too.

The point is every book in that top ten far outsells anything comics are doing.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
People fucking love Spawn. But to me Spawn is like the Nickelback of comics- insanely popular with good sales and long running legs, but I feel like I've met no person who talks about liking them.

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People fucking love Spawn. But to me Spawn is like the Nickelback of comics- insanely popular with good sales and long running legs, but I feel like I've met no person who talks about liking them.

It's probably tons of collectors and spectators just CGC'ing like 100 copies. Back issues have gone up due to this CGC bubble that will burst.

animus82

Nov 1, 2017
Demon Slayer is an absolute juggernaut. Especially after the season and the movie. First book to outsell One Piece in many years.

I really feel like the reason Manga outsells comics by such a huge margin is because WB and Disney don't push anything animated to get anyone interested in the material. Manga is canon and you can watch the anime and/or read the manga.

Comics you can't do that.

Manga and Anime is a well oiled machine and comics can't compete.

Also, I don't think Disney and WB want their IP out there and aimed at kids/young adults because they want that big box office money.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to get into Spawn, the character just seems so badass. Maybe this would be a good starting point?

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I really feel like the reason Manga outsells comics by such a huge margin is because WB and Disney don't push anything animated to get anyone interested in the material. Manga is canon and you can watch the anime and/or read the manga.

Also, I don't think Disney and WB want their IP out there and aimed at kids/young adults because they want that big box office money.

I'm gonna need a source on this. Marvel and DC do have kids cartoons and both companies absolutely want money from both kids and box office.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Spawn make me so angry? I think I just have trauma from how bad that original lineup from Image was.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Unless it's manga.

Most people think that Diamond is one of the main reasons the western comic industry is basically only being held together by collectors, but there are other issues that are not popular to talk about here.
True, but diversifying retail outreach would definitely boost sales past what they are currently.

Marvel and DC not having their stuff day and date release on subscription services doesn't help, either.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably tons of collectors and spectators just CGC'ing like 100 copies. Back issues have gone up due to this CGC bubble that will burst.

Graded comics are such a joke. I've seen tons of comics that were completely ruined by the slabs. I would never even think about mailing a graded comic.

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Graded comics are such a joke. I've seen tons of comics that were completely ruined by the slabs. I would never even think about mailing a graded comic.

The current American comic industry, whether people want to admit it or not, is in a dire situation. What would happen if the collectors bail?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Comics either need to be back in retail stores or go to a collected format.
I personally think they should do both.

DC is kind of doing that right now, doubling up Justice League with Justice League Dark as a backup and the Batman: Urban Legends book featuring four stories covering the other Batfamily members along with Batman, but they could go further and have a manga format style Superman Family book, Marvel could do the same with the X-Men stuff but twice a month given how many X-Men books they have, and so on.

If DC has, say, five Super-related tiles with a rough print batch of 20k for each, they could cut that down to 10k each and then print 50k copies of a collected Superman book to sell alongside the floppies.

And then sell digital floppies and collected bundles too, of course.

And create a subscription service for new books and new books only and split that from the service that has the back catalog. That way consumers can either have a bazillion years worth of books to read while being six months behind the current stuff or they can be up to date without being able to read 80s books. Or they could pay more to have access to everything.

And in between, someone needs to invest back into the Infinite style comics, because those were a cool in between for standard and motion comics.

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish digital comics were a dollar. I'd be willing to buy a lot to test things out. I already buy physical stuff.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know, I would think both Disney and WB would want people to watch tv shows, buy comics, and see their movies. The thing is, they don't think the audience is smart enough to follow comic book continuity on the small screen vs the movies. That's why we end up with shitty television shows like Avengers Assemble over Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Which I'm still salty about losing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I would think both Disney and WB would want people to watch tv shows, buy comics, and see their movies. The thing is, they don't think the audience is smart enough to follow comic book continuity on the small screen vs the movies. That's why we end up with shitty television shows like Avengers Assemble over Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Which I'm still salty about losing.
WB is especially stupid with that given that they had the DCAU which is continuity dense, the DCAMU, which started out as a New 52 adaptation and eventually became lore and continuity dense, and they have Young Justice, which is lore and continuity dense and was only cancelled because girls were wanting the action figures too and had more than enough fan pressure to get it revived.

And Marvel has the MCU, which people seem to have no issue following. And they have all of WB's examples of people following continuity in cartoons, from the DC stuff as well as Cartoon Network affair.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
i mean his Spawn Kickstarter was successful so there's some thirst for Spawn
(I was a kickstarter)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish digital comics were a dollar. I'd be willing to buy a lot to test things out. I already buy physical stuff.

I've been reading around 400 issues a month lately on Marvel Unlimited.
I just read Jason Aaron's Avengers up until the latest issue that's on Unlimited. That may have been THE worst comic. I feel like it was a prank that went wrong.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JJK isn't at DS' level but it's also undergone a sales explosion thanks to the anime. I believe it's at 50 million volumes sold in Japan alone and the most recent volume release, #16, just beat out One Piece's latest volume for first month sales. That's never happened since the sales have been tracked. I imagine the second season or movie will cause another surge.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Ok going by this thread if big hitters like Batman are around 100k, then what the heck happened here??

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying if the write creatives were involved I'd be down to get Michael Jai White back in the cape for another Spawn movie. A reboot or a sequel. I'd be game to see MJW beat down some motherfuckers with chains. I'd also take Michael B Jordan in the role if they wanted someone younger.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
The biggest issue of American mainstream comics is that publishers are out of touch with most of the potential public. They produce too many comics for the existing readership only and when they make something new and fresh, they have no idea about how to reach the appropriate audiences.

It's telling that Marvel had to outsource its IP to another publisher to make comics for kids. They have been catering exclusively to the existing adult readership for so long they don't know anymore how to make and sell comics that are appropriate for kids.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I loved the shit out of Spawn, but I never talked about around my nerd circles because Image comics was ridiculed as a cheap knockoff company back-in-the-day for em. They made me fall out of love with the scene in the late 90s/early 2000s.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Throughout my life I've only actually met one single person who liked or even cared about Spawn. A kid back in school who unironically though McFarlanes artwork was high art.

Who the hell went out and bought all these comics?

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Kinda strange that the anime can have this impact on the manga. Meanwhile, the huge popularity of the marvel movies doesn't translate to more comics sold.

Actually makes me sad for the comics, I read some casually nowadays so I don't keep in touch with this.

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest issue of American mainstream comics is that publishers are out of touch with most of the potential public. They produce too many comics for the existing readership only and when they make something new and fresh, they have no idea about how to reach the appropriate audiences.

It's telling that Marvel had to outsource its IP to another publisher to make comics for kids. They have been catering exclusively to the existing adult readership for so long they don't know anymore how to make and sell comics that are appropriate for kids.
I don't have kids but if I did I would be force feeding them American comics. I'm surprised people of my generation aren't doing the same considering I grew up in the 90's late 80's boom. I guess kids don't give a shit? Honestly have no clue about pre-teens tbh.

Throughout my life I've only actually met one single person who liked or even cared about Spawn. A kid back in school who unironically though McFarlanes artwork was high art.

Who the hell went out and bought all these comics?

I unironically love Mcfarlanes Spiderman work (I even have the Marvel omnibus of his amazing SM run). I was obsessed with it as a kid. Never liked Spawn but I did collect the first couple of years back then.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Article doesn't mention it, but its 200k physical and digital copies, right? That's impressive for the modern era of comics.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017

because

WHAT THE FUCK

In Japan the Anime was on every single streaming platform during the original lockdown last year, exploded in popularity, then people turned to the manga to continue the story, which conveniently concluded a couple of months ago, so nobody holds back and just buys the whole manga-series.

StarsTurnCold

Avenger
Apr 30, 2018
Manga is going through a historically high boom in the USA and Europe right now. They can't keep volumes of the big series in print due to demand.

That's before you even consider Japan... Which... Yeah...

EoA6OVyXMAwffoR-1024x632.jpeg

Speaking of, I've been meaning to try to get into Manga. Is there a Marvel Unlimited equivalent to it?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda strange that the anime can have this impact on the manga. Meanwhile, the huge popularity of the marvel movies doesn't translate to more comics sold.

Actually makes me sad for the comics, I read some casually nowadays so I don't keep in touch with this.
I assume a bit part of it is how comics are inaccessible (long running, multiple versions and reboots and need to follow constant crossovers and events), fragmented, not easy to actually find and expensive.

Meanwhile with manga if you like an anime you just go out and buy volume 1 for pretty cheap and you're good to go.

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, I've been meaning to try to get into Manga. Is there a Marvel Unlimited equivalent to it?

Shonen Jump Viz app is $2 a month for their entire catalogue and weekly chapters hours after Japan. You won't beat that deal. Shonen Jump has many of the best series like One Piece, My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, Spy x Family , Jojo, Dr Stone, Chainsaw Man ect. Plus old stuff like Dragonball, Naruto and Bleach.

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan the Anime was on every single streaming platform during the original lockdown last year, exploded in popularity, then people turned to the manga to continue the story, which conveniently concluded a couple of months ago, so nobody holds back and just buys the whole manga-series.

Imagine the sales of that complete box set in October 😂

Deleted member 19813

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine the sales of that complete box set in October 😂

If I remember correctly, the manga for DS was close to being canceled... and then the anime changed all that.

I don't watch much anime, but I buy a lot of physical manga. Everybody reads manga. Comics, it's a lot of the same people. Well, there seems to be two divisions.

Also, maybe has a beginning and end. Comics can be very daunting for new readers.

animus82

Nov 1, 2017

This is because the anime and manga are 100% canon.... except for anime filler eps. The casual fan of Batman or Superman want one tale to be told. Not 4 series and team ups and then reset the series back to issue #1.

All these hi jinks and having multiple writers are turn offs. Don't get me started on Ret cons even.

I think the market could expand if they cheapened the price, made it digital first and stop creating mostly super hero stuff.