• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pavakka (or bitter gourd/melon) is super divisive between Indians. I love it but it's definitely an acquired taste. You can fry it, make a curry out of it, or sautee it into a vegetable thoran.

4910-bitter_melon-732x549-thumbnail-732x549.jpg

Anyone who doesn't like the fried karela dish with onion and lots of lemon is missing the fuck out but I concur, used to hate eating this growing up but now I love it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I guess this is a Canadian product (which I don't I I realized until right now), but some people hate it with a passion. I think it tastes great.

71mPd5w2gzL._AC_SX385_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. In Peru, they make a soup called Mondongo Italiano that is cow tripe (stomach lining), and almost exclusively use the second stomach, which has a chewy texture with a honeycomb pattern. Absolutely disgusting. No intestines, stomach linings, and so on. Thank you very much.

Beef honeycomb tripe (ngau jahp) is a bomb dish in Cantonese dim sum. The hexagon lining soaks up the marinade.

dim-sum-tripe-7-500x375.jpg

Not a Horse

Aug 15, 2018
sfNxXtR.jpg

Some people hate black licorice/star anise but gimme gimme gimme.

Ouzo, sambuca, schoolkrijt, yummy, yummy, yummy

I guess this is a Canadian product (which I don't I I realized until right now), but some people hate it with a passion. I think it tastes great.

71mPd5w2gzL._AC_SX385_.jpg

It says "It still tastes like soap!" right there on the box. Even the box knows it's shit.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Natto is actually good. Texture is maybe gross but in small amounts I think it's not that offensive.

Not that I'll ever try it, but I'm convinced balut has to be the nastiest food item on earth.

What else 🤔

I hate natto, but it's been a good 10 years since I had it, I might give it another go since I'm looking to change up my morning breakfast to eat healthier. I know it's an acquired taste so I'm thinking about forcing myself to eat it till I like it.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Hawaiian Pizza is way too divisive for what is ultimately a rather unremarkable food. I can't picture why people love or hate it.

Memes. There's nothing wrong with Hawaiian Pizza. I like it alright, but I would generally order other kinds of pizzas first and so rarely actually purchase it, myself.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Natto is actually good. Texture is maybe gross but in small amounts I think it's not that offensive.

Not that I'll ever try it, but I'm convinced balut has to be the nastiest food item on earth.

What else 🤔

Natto is a great small side-dish. I've never understood the revulsion against it.

Same with mushrooms.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Natto is OK. I don't mind it but it always seems too expensive for what it is (or at least at the restaurants I go to).

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. In Peru, they make a soup called Mondongo Italiano that is cow tripe (stomach lining), and almost exclusively use the second stomach, which has a chewy texture with a honeycomb pattern. Absolutely disgusting. No intestines, stomach linings, and so on. Thank you very much.
In Spain we use that a lot, mostly in Callos.
I fucking love it.

What else 🤔
Only time I have tasted natto was in a roll from a 7-11, no thank you. Couldn't stand the taste. Texture was fine.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
As an American who likes foods on the extremes of the salty, bitter, and savory ends of the spectrum, I tried Marmite for the first time a few months ago and loved it. The suggested serving style of marbling it with large amounts of butter on toast is great, honestly reminds me of a good slice of cheese the way the dairy combines with the savory notes and the texture of the bread.

I used to think I couldn't to tripe or tendons but a place near me makes amazing pho that contains both, in addition to meatballs and brisket.

I love a good prairie oyster and always have one whenever I make cocktails that call for egg whites.

A few of the only things I'm really hung up on are the generic brown supermarket mushrooms (don't like their texture) and stuff that has too much cinnamon in it.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When can we start using CRISPR to alter our DNA so I can finally eat stuff with cilantro in it?

Travis Pickle

Jun 21, 2020
My wife loves Natto. I can't be near it when it's cooked - stinks the kitchen out.

I love marmite - my wife hates it

I like some offal - kidney, liver , tongue for instance, but don't think I could eat heart or brain
Holy shit I just realized people don't regularly have chicken heart skewers. Shit's delicious, it's like a meat snack. Brain can be good aswell if prepared just right, has a weird texture though.

Cilantro is amazing and I put it on everything.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
pavakka (or bitter gourd/melon) is super divisive between Indians. I love it but it's definitely an acquired taste. You can fry it, make a curry out of it, or sautee it into a vegetable thoran.

In Okinawa it's goya. It's OK. Very bitter, but can be a nice addition to dishes. I certainly wouldn't want to eat it by itself though.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
chopped liver. I am in the it's fucking nasty camp and even worse it'll stink up your whole house

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to try Maramite again. I haven't tried in 20 years and hated it, but want to give it another spin with butter on toast.

Im a huge fan of Liver. Love the stuff!

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

This is used in Chinese cooking too. My parents love it, I detest it lol

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ctrl + F

"cilantro"

"No results found"

You disappoint me, soap-Era. Cilantro destroys everything it touches for me.
Cilantro is a bit different from most of these types of foods in that the divide is less a matter of personal taste and more that a huge number of people have a genetic difference that literally changes how they experience the flavor and makes it seem more soapy to them.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not as crazy as most of the things here, but anchovies on pizza are absolutely delicious. I never understood why they had such a negative reputation.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I always say I will try anything once. That said, I will *never* try balut.

sfNxXtR.jpg

Some people hate black licorice/star anise but gimme gimme gimme.

Ouzo, sambuca, schoolkrijt, yummy, yummy, yummy

It says "It still tastes like soap!" right there on the box. Even the box knows it's shit.
And I've tried it, but anise is disgusting.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Balut isn't bad, think hard boiled eggs with a kinda concentrated yolk flavour. That said I don't reach for boiled eggs on the best of days.

Beef tongue. I just love it. The texture is veeeeeeery strange but so good.

beef tongue is the best part of the cow IMO.

Thinly sliced and grilled

kWc0hns.png

not chewy at all, has just enough give and is packed full of beefy flavour sprinkle.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody in here tried shirako / milt? I knew what it was when I was served it in a restaurant and it was difficult to get the mental image out of my head xD

I like most of the things that's considered an acquired taste (natto, kimchi, umeboshi, beef tongue, salted licorice). Durian is the one exception xD

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody in here tried shirako / milt? I knew what it was when I was served it in a restaurant and it was difficult to get the mental image out of my head xD
I didn't think it tasted all that weird.
I feel like it's one of those things that most people would have no problem consuming if they didn't know what it is.
It's got a pretty mild taste overall.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
32 posts and no mayo?

Mayonnaise
There is nothing divisive about Mayo though.

My guide:

Hawaiian pizza: good
Escargot: good
Durian: good
Durian smell: bad
Candy corn: bad
Marmite/ Vegemite: bad
Spinach: good
Blood sausage: good
Tongue: good
Haggis: bad
Frog: good
Tripe: bad
Licorice: bad
Cilantro: good
Beet: good
Raisin: good
Mushroom: good
Broccoli: good
Anchovies: bad

Kimchi: undecided

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Olives.

You got 2 options: You like then or you have terrible taste.
Both mondonguito and cau cau (a menos que sea de pollo) can go to hell. I'm never eating that shit no matter how hungry I am.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
okra is the most vile, repugnant, slimy thing i've ever eaten