• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. The two former Naughty Dog dev's stayed at the studio. They helped make IW as good as it was.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I trust IW to include a campaign in their COD's. Their entries have historically had stronger campaigns than their peers and I doubt they will drop them.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Activsion was pretty clear that Black Ops 4 not having one didn't mean future games wouldn't.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
To note, many companies still call the PS4 and XB1 "next-gen platforms" in their job postings.

If you see something say "current and next-gen" in 2018 though, that's a sign they mean cross-gen.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Good. It's pretty obvious that Treyarch's excuse for not having a campaign was nothing more than a PR twist to cover up the fact they fucked up somewhere. I don't think Activision was ready to pull the trigger on that yet.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Well Activision had already confirmed that BO4 not having a campaign does not mean future CODs won't have one.

I really think BO4 not having a campaign is a result of some development problems, be it delayed schedule or Acti not liking the "crazy campaign" (eventhough they green lit BO3 campaign), and not because they decided not to focus on it.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
After the excellent Infinite Warfare campaign I'm eagerly awaiting Infinity Ward's next Call of Duty title. I'll definitely buy this CoD if it includes a campaign.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's Modern Warfare 4, they have voice actors reprising their roles (it could've been for multiplayer, but less likely), and Activision tend to buffer a risky move with a subsequent safer Call of Duty, so all signs point to it having a single-player.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
The leaks suggest that the game is modern warfare 4 and the modern warfare storyline was one of the best in the franchise, it would be a dumb move to remove the campaign with characters like price who people know plus the campaign removal was a 1 time thing or treyarch thing because they know that black ops 3 campaign was sheesh.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's Modern Warfare 4, they have voice actors reprising their roles (it could've been for multiplayer, but less likely), and Activision tend to buffer a risky move with a subsequent safer Call of Duty, so all signs point to it having a single-player.

I'm still sad that it's MW4. Infinite Warfare's world still had a lot of potential going forward.

Still, if they're doing Modern Warfare 4 I hope they put in references about developing space-age technology. Hell, would love the new main character (or a side character) to be maybe Reyes' ancestor. That would be neat. Get Brian Bloom back.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Good, but I hope they'll spend more time trying to make it less painfully generic and boring comparing to Infinite Warfare campaign. I know some people here liked IW campaign, but personally, I find it very disappointing cliche galore with bad missions design and lifeless characters.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not surprised. It would surprise me more that Treyarch would be allowed to make another campaign. They'll bring in another team for the third COD's campaign.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Good, but I hope they'll spend more time trying to make it less painfully generic and boring comparing to Infinite Warfare campaign. I know some people here liked IW campaign, but personally, I find it very disappointing cliche galore with bad missions design and lifeless characters.

Disagree very much. Honestly had some of the best missions in the series in a while and easily the best characters in the franchise.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad that this is now a "hype returning feature", but here we are. Infinite Warfare campaign was pretty solid (though the plot/dialogue was so bad it hurt, lol) so I'd be down for more of that level of quality.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would be odd to cut out Campaign for only Treyarch's CoD.

Out of the three studios they're the most consistent with multiplayer and the least consistent with single player. It makes more sense to leave them as the multiplayer end of the third game and have another studio do the single player. They were developing a campaign for Black Ops 4, but from all reports it was just a terrible. Black Ops 3 was also a dumpster fire. Activision is just better off filling in the campaign hole with another studio, more capable of making a campaign.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
IW is the new A team for campaigns. I look forward to their next release, because IW is excellent.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for this. IW is this generations best COD imo. Looks like they're bringing on some more talent to help make this next one special.

Oct 25, 2017
Well Activision had already confirmed that BO4 not having a campaign does not mean future CODs won't have one.
It's been pretty clear from the leaks that BO4 was a mess for most of it's development (see: various leaks). The campaign was scrapped near the start of the year if I recall correctly. This one game is the exception.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
The more the time pass, the more PS5 in 2019 looks realistic... I feel like we may hear something very interesting before the end of 2018.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah! I didn't think that BLOPS4 was a sign of things to come, so it's good to have confirmation of that. SP is basically the only thing I get out of CoD games anymore.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
This is Modern Warfare 4 right? Or heavily rumored to be?

They even re-acquired Joel Emslie as a Studio Art Director who has worked as a similar role in OG IW days, at Respawn he also gave it's final shape to "Titan & Pilot" concept. IW also re-acquired bunch of other guys who previously worked on Modern Warfare, one of them developed at least 10 mp maps for MW1 and MW2. All signs points to MW4 and that makes me extremely excited after seeing how good the Infinite Warfare's campaign.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed if it is Modern Warfare. While Ghosts and Infinite warfare weren't as popular, at least they tried to take CoD in new directions. I loved Ghosts extinction mode and was pleasantly surprised at how good IW campaign was.

Going back to MW just stifles creativity imo.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Activision has already said that BO4 is the exception and not the norm, so between that and the general disappointment of there not being a campaign in it, this isn't all that surprising.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Black Ops 4 was going to have a campaign, and then it was scrapped

The same thing could happen again, and if Black Ops 4 does gangbusters and the BR mode is a huge success then they'll look at the cost of developing a campaign and see how little difference it makes to sales and they could well decide to scrap it again

I hope it does have a campaign, as the campaign is the only part of CoD I enjoy, but I don't think it's a guarantee at all

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It hardly needs to be said but

We all acknowledge that this will contain the mw2 remaster right? And yes activision will do the $80 version exclusive bullshit :DDD

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
People say that it was obvious that this was happening but then you see those BO4 threads of people losing their minds lol. This is why companies can't try new things or change these yearly games people lose their shit and threaten to not buy if one thing is off.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Ive tried for the first time a call of duty campaign(black ops 3) and quitted after an hour, if they are all so boring like that one, activision probably done well ditchin the campaign to 4( but not right asking the same price)