NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
people expected COD to sell bad? because of bad reception of hardcore gamer bubbles? 2024 and we didnt learn anything

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
you can't hit out of the park every time.

except ... when you pretty much do. every time. because reasons

Feb 19, 2023
people expected COD to sell bad? because of bad reception of hardcore gamer bubbles? 2024 and we didnt learn anything

I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard Vanguard was a flop. Era is notoriously bad for predictions and expectations of game sales/MAU, especially with the most popular titles in existence (CoD, Fortnite, Roblox, anything mobile). Which has always been weird.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard Vanguard was a flop. Era is notoriously bad for predictions and expectations of game sales/MAU, especially with the most popular titles in existence (CoD, Fortnite, Roblox, anything mobile). Which has always been weird.

It depends what you mean by flop. Even Activision, as the article says, were disappointed in the sales and I distinctly remember it dropping in price way faster than any recent CoD game.

It just signifies how amazing CoD sells that the disappointment can easily sell 30m.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
CoD
EAFC(Fifa)
Nba 2K

Are games that will always sell no matter how people feel about them. They are a culture unto themselves.

Feb 19, 2023
It depends what you mean by flop. Even Activision, as the article says, were disappointed in the sales and I distinctly remember it dropping in price way faster than any recent CoD game.

It just signifies how amazing CoD sells that the disappointment can easily sell 30m.

Right, but that's the thing: ABK saying it didn't meet their expectations (because they're freakin' ABK) =/= what the average enthusiast like you or me considers a "flop." That wasn't the connotation being used at large.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Decent single player, fucking awful MP.

I'm done with Sledgehammer and IW COD's. Just awful feeling MP.

The year of the Gulf is upon us.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that the post launch support was so crap then.
Not weird when you consider

1. Sledgehammer has to immediately turn around and start working on MWIII with just 2 years of development.
2. Treyarch(zombies)had to turn around and do Modern Warfare Zombies in less than 2 years and have their own full zombies experience the year after that

Doesn't really matter how well it sold Vanguard was made a a filler to give Infinity Ward a 3rd year of development on MWII(which they wasted but definitely needed as there were internal issues)
Sledgehammer then got turned around and sacrificed again to give Treyarch a 4th year for that game.

However unlike Infinity Ward Sledgehammer actually communicates and takes feedback which is why MWIII is doing better player numbers year that MWII was.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

As an enthusiast forum it's a bit popular to shit on those games and that probably clouds judgement. We can talk about some visual novel game and the overwhelming majority of gamers wouldn't even give that a try for free.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
It will be hard for Microsoft to make Cod go the way of Skype and Nokia, but they're sure as hell the best ones for the job

Don't take me too seriously, cod is fine as long as Microsoft doesn't make it exclusive

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i love how people are trying to make this seem like a "haha era bubble" thing but in reality the cod community was probably the biggest trasher of this game and the assumption that it did poorly was definitely not just on era.

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
CoD doesn't flop, I understood that after Infinite Warfare still outsold BF1 despite the massive amount of pre-launch negativity

Also not surprised CoD just continues to do well, since the games always come with enough content and modes to justify the price, and the arcade shooter market is bone dry otherwise

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I realized there is a massive population of people whose hobby is simply CoD. They aren't gamers in a broad sense but CoD players. They just like their one game and that's okay, even if we shouldn't reward such mediocrity.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've had more fun with the older setting COD campaigns than the modern ones. The best modern one to me was Advanced Warfare, but then they jumped the shark with the space stuff which everyone here seemed to love but I just couldn't finish it.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
Despite the hate on the game (non warranted), this game has the best COD MP since black ops 4. It's a shame people don't play this much anymore

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Vanguard still has the best MP of the last decade of COD. Massively overrated because of the WW2 setting.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I do miss being able to fill every up every attachment slot on the weapons to make some proper monstrosities. Apart from a few items that have small benefits and no downsides, I feel like the 5 limit in the new MW games is pretty arbitrary.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I realized there is a massive population of people whose hobby is simply CoD. They aren't gamers in a broad sense but CoD players. They just like their one game and that's okay, even if we shouldn't reward such mediocrity.
Yep and I believe both COD Mobile and Warzone played a part in that. You basically now have COD all year around and every you go and which ever price from free to play all the way to $70 bucks.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I remember all those articles about Elden Ring beating Vanguard back in early 2022.

Crazy that it actually ended up out legging it.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Sad state of gaming this one.

Again this wasn't even a modern shooter per se and they still sold gangbusters.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
It was better than all 3 new MW games but still sucked.

I wish they'd give up on this stupid new engine they're forcing all the studios to use and let Treyarch make another game in the Cold War engine, which felt much better, especially in multiplayer.

Also, the future movement CoDs were all better than the modern day stuff. I know it was unpopular at the time but I liked it. Similarly I wish they'd drop the stupid $20 bundles and just charge me for DLC. At least with the map packs, the maps were often great and zombies actually had a budget

I think people underestimate just how good the COD games actually are at their core.
It's this. Like you may see some say "this year's COD is awful" but COD stays COD because nothing else plays like it at a fundamental level. The only thing that ever has is Titanfall... because you know, there's a big reason why.

I've seen it theorized the only reason annualized premium COD games are a thing, rather than making COD a seasonal client like Fortnite, is due to the cosmetics issue. Fortnite prints money because players want those skins. COD is big on cosmetics but not in the same league.

So the money is in releasing a full priced game every year and encouraging most players to drop the previous one. If COD could support Fortnite levels of MTX we'd probably have already seen it go client based.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They've only ever both gone on sale at most for $30, and Vanguard was $70, so I don't think this is true and CoD usually isn't on sale for long.
www.tweaktown.com

Call of Duty: Vanguard costs just $39 at Warmart in Black Friday sales

Warmart+ subscribers can get Call of Duty: Vanguard on the cheap during Black Friday sales, the cheapest price yet at $39.

Yeah but it was like $39 at black friday weeks after release. Elden Ring was $60 only for a looong time iirc. We will never know tho.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CoD is part of human nature now.
ARPdCJK.gif

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Thought it was one of the worst games, but COD has always sold well, it was the best selling game of 2022. The game had less revenue and less engagement that prior COD by fair amount which is why it was considered disappointing to the markets at the time. E.g.
Average MAUs decreased by 26 million or 7% for the three months ended December 31, 2021 as compared to the three months ended December 31, 2020. The decrease was primarily due to lower average MAUs for Activision, primarily driven by the Call of Duty franchise.

Generally, Think COD is one of the safest purchases to get. It's a full package mostly releasing yearly, with campaign, MP etc. that not a single other game competes with.

Oct 25, 2017
Decent single player, fucking awful MP.

I'm done with Sledgehammer and IW COD's. Just awful feeling MP.

The year of the Gulf is upon us.
Csnt freaking wait, Cold War was one of my favorite recent CODs and that was rushed and had a major portion of dev time during early Covid...

90s seems like one of the absolute best settings for a military game atm

Hopefully Gulf War keeps the post launch story going and it doesn't get abandoned like Vanguard or cut entirely like MWII and MWIII

Oct 27, 2017
Csnt freaking wait, Cold War was one of my favorite recent CODs and that was rushed and had a major portion of dev time during early Covid...

90s seems like one of the absolute best settings for a military game atm

Hopefully Gulf War keeps the post launch story going and it doesn't get abandoned like Vanguard or cut entirely like MWII and MWIII
We could be in for an amazing year if the extra time did the trick and they didn't have any set backs like the last few games.

Twohearts

Feb 8, 2024
Straya
It's silly that a game can sell taht many copies and still underperform. Obviously it would have cost a lot because they basically just threw bodies at the problem to get a game out to plug their sales hole but 30 million copies is going to be one of if not the biggest selling titles in any given year, and if a game doesn't do well seling that many, then the entire industry needs to be reconsidered. Feels like a colossal money laundering operatiojn

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's silly that a game can sell taht many copies and still underperform. Obviously it would have cost a lot because they basically just threw bodies at the problem to get a game out to plug their sales hole but 30 million copies is going to be one of if not the biggest selling titles in any given year, and if a game doesn't do well seling that many, then the entire industry needs to be reconsidered. Feels like a colossal money laundering operatiojn

COD cares about more than units sold. It's about player engagement and getting folks to buy the season pass, mtxs etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean WWII sold amazingly and Activision fired their managment because the active users went off a cliff