• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
obviously due to covid shops are closed and in lockdown atm.

want to get a new bed and mattress however have no idea what mattress to get and I can't go instore to try them

was thinking this one:

Products

Products

but again I have no idea

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
fwiw, I've been sleeping on that mattress for years now and I still hit my 7 hours average every month.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Just will be annoying to return, you at minimum should figure out how soft you want the bed to be etc. This is something you will be spending 6-8 hours a night on so I def would at least try to narrow down some criteria, you def will need a little time anyway to see if you like it.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say second only to a car, mattresses need to be tried out yeah.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You sleep a third of your life. Better do it on a mattress that is suited for your body.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Is it a bad idea? Take it from me.

YES.

Edit: ok it's not the worst idea. just be prepared to take advantage of whatever return policy they have. Hundred day sleep trial or whatever. Honestly this is still holds true even if you do try it in-store, since a few minutes laying down ain't gonna tell you shit. It's just that you don't/can't try before you buy, there's more of a likelihood you'll have to go through all that hassle. If you're prepared for that, go for it. Apparently there's a lot of damn good mattress factories that operate exclusively online.

Last edited:

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Figure out your preferences and what is more suitable for your sleep position. Buy from a place with good return policy. Test it out at home.

Sometimes it does take a while for your body to adjust to a mattress if it's not your usual. So even if you could test it in the store, you still want good return policy. We got our Turft and Needle without trying them out beforehand. It took a week of adjusting to it and then it's been great.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
We bought our mattress at Mattress Firm and they had a return window that we used. We really did not like our first mattress so returned it and got a different one that we loved.

Oct 27, 2017
depends on what you mean by 'try'. if you mean going to a store and lying down on it for a few minutes... IMO that's pretty worthless unless you're strictly trying to determine if it's very soft, kinda soft, kinda hard or very hard. that information can be easily obtained through research, and you should already know your preference. the more important factor is a return policy. make sure you can try it for 90+ days with a free return/pick up.

then just look for a mattress that is your preferred softness and research reviews on long-term usage vs. your budget.

Nov 23, 2017
It's always nice to lay down on a pillowy soft mattress in the store, but your back probably won't like it very much in the morning.

Other things to consider is the material on top. Foam toppers tend to sleep warmer than other materials. Once you have sheets and blankets on the bed, you want something to keep you comfortable, not feel like your laying on top of an oven all night. The worst sleep is when you're tossing and turning trying to find the "cool" spot on the bed.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried my TempurPedic at a mattress store, I highly recommend it. Also, it takes a month or so for memory foam to really break in. The mattress delivered won't feel like the mattress you selected at the store, not at first.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I tried my TempurPedic at a mattress store, I highly recommend it. Also, it takes a month or so for memory foam to really break in. The mattress delivered won't feel like the mattress you selected at the store, not at first.

We got the proadapt firm (firmest model) - while my wife really wanted the highest level of firmness I'm still adjusting to it. Shit was not cheap lol

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If you know both your level of hard/softness you need and the rating on the mattress is right and you know what kind material you want (spring, memory foam, hybrid, etc), then it shouldn't be a problem.

I would much rather try out a new mattress before buying, but alot of the mail-order mattresses give you plenty of time to try them out if you are fine with sending it back if it's not a good fit.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's probably a bad idea, but I did it. I bought a Leesa from online, and I'm happy with it but I wish I would've tried it vs a different firmness just to see what my true preference is.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
I just bought a Helix Dusk Luxe. I wanted to try it before buying it, but I have no idea where I would have even tried it. The bed is a masterpiece though.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
We got the proadapt firm (firmest model) - while my wife really wanted the highest level of firmness I'm still adjusting to it. Shit was not cheap lol

Oh yeah, same here. You can spend $4k+ super quick. I erred on the side of caution and went with Tempur because they had a warranty. At that point in time, I didn't want to risk going with a lesser known brand.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I bought my mattress without ever trying it, but I had tried a mattress of a similar type previously and knew more-or-less what I was looking for in a mattress. I've had it for about a year and it's the best mattress I've ever had, so it's doable, but I wouldn't necessarily go at it without any prior knowledge of what you want. Returning a mattress seems like a colossal pain in the ass.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care because I've never had trouble sleeping on any type of mattress. I've always bought them without trying them. As long as I know they're not super stiff, I'll be fine.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I let my wife pick out our first mattress when we bought our house, and it caused me to have severe back pain within a few months. Got rid of it 2 years later, went to a mattress place, and bought a Purple mattress that my wife and I tried out for at least a solid hour before making up our minds.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I hate mattress shopping. I'm always afraid I'm going to make the wrong choice and my back and wallet will suffer.

it's similar to going to the eye doctor and they have the machine up your face asking "which one's better? 3 or 4?" And I'm like "they look the same! Fuck I don't want coke bottle glasses!"

My wife and I just bought a Select Number. It hasn't arrived yet. We tried a ton of mattresses in a bunch of stores and couldn't agree on the firmness so we decided to drop all the cash into a bed that could be variable firmness. Fingers crossed we didn't waste our money…

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
depends on the return policy, if there is a 90 day guarantee then go ahead, if its like 24 hours then hell no

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it depends. Last March I bought a new bed without trying it first but I've been sleeping on a budget Ikea bed for over 10 years.

I'm so happy with my new bed, it's one of my best purchases ever. I went for a premium brand and it's beyond everything I expected.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Whatever you do make sure wherever you buy it from has a good return policy. And you want in invest in a good mattress it makes a world of difference.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I bought online using those 100% guarantee return programs and was able to find a good mattress. Best thing is most of them don't want you to return the mattress rather donate it and once you do they refund you. I went through 3 companies trying to find the best one for my wife and I.

Funny thing is that in Minnesota no one would take a 1 day old mattress so we had to just give it to a friend (and another to a coworker).

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Trying any new mattress after having slept on the same one for years will always feel amazing for a few minutes no matter how awful the new mattress is. That feeling of 'newness' is so strong. Overnight sleeping is the only real way to test.

Dec 30, 2020
Helpful hint: If you're wearing a padded coat or jacket MAKE SURE TO TAKE IT OFF before trying out a mattress. Bought my mum a mattress and she had her coat on, afterwards at home she realized it was much tougher than she realized and needed to buy a padding to go on top.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
my wife and i bought a mattress off recommendations from reddit sight unseen and we didn't really get used to it until after a couple of weeks, and now i can't sleep on anything else i love it.

imo you can't really know if you like a mattress until your body gets used to it, and i'm not sure what laying on it first in a store accomplishes

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I took the gamble on tuft and needle after the foam mattress thread here a while ago. Absolutely love it, no more back pain getting out of bed.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I took the gamble on tuft and needle after the foam mattress thread here a while ago. Absolutely love it, no more back pain getting out of bed.

yeah i got the mint and love it. Foam mattresses might not be for everyone but it really works for me despite never sleeping on one before.
bonus, i feel like i sleep better when i travel as i notice hotels tend to have foam mattress more and more too

Apr 10, 2018
A few years ago I would've said, "order online, go for it" but my wife and I had a hard time when we recently bought ourselves a new mattress. We tried two different online ones (maybe casper and something else?) and each one caused problems for one of us. Our daughter was very young at the time and the combination of waking up kind of creaky and picking her up all day had us in pretty significant discomfort. We eventually returned both, went to a mattress store and found one that works for both of us. It was definitely the right call.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
It really depends on the person. If you're someone prone to aching, back problems, joint pain, etc, you might want to test out mattresses in person. If you're like me who can sleep on pretty much anything with a bit of cushion, then go for it. Most of those online memory foam mattresses are basically the same anyway. Just slightly different levels of firmness.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I've had better luck with the Endy I ordered a year ago without trying vs. the old mattress that I tried in store before that (I don't remember what brand is was).

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'd advise getting something with a good return policy.
This is the key. In my experience, it can really take a while (a few days to a few weeks) to understand how your body and sleep patterns are responding to a new mattress. I think many of the reputable mattress companies provide at least 30 days to return it.