• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
YDuRvW8.jpg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

4oEepFQ.jpg

Who is he?

Canadian clinical psychologist, cultural critic, and professor of psychology at the University of Toronto.

What does he talk about?

Hours of lectures about Disney cartoons, game theory, psychology, ethical and moral concepts, how the Judeo-Christian stories created western society, how the terrible events of the world wars and modern history came about.

He sounds like Kermit the Frog.
It's not easy being green.

kgTfit0.jpg

Wait I heard this guy oppresses and hates transgendered people and is a nazi/bigot/puppykicker!?
He didn't want to use the new made up pronouns, a law got passed in Canada that basically made it so that if he doesn't use the pronoun he gets fined/goes to jail. He thought that was pretty unfair and decided to appeal the entire decision. This is all still in progress.

Does he hate LGBT people?
No! He actively discusses his own ideas with them, he thinks that it's impossible to ever reach an answer if you don't listen to other people, here are his discussions:
Theryn Meyer - Transgendered Woman
Camille Paglia - Feminist Lesbian

(Camille Paglia is amazing too, recommend listening to her as well)

But I heard he was chased off campus because-
Okay fine, here watch exactly what happens and EXTRACT OUT MEANING for yourself.

vVVXefH.jpg

Is there a tl;dr?
Jordan Peterson's Ideas in a 10-minute nutshell. If you don't like what you hear then that's fine, you gave it a try.

Disney Lectures (3-6 hours):

The Little Mermaid - Don't sell your soul

Pinocchio - You can fix yourself and save your loved ones

Lion King - Forget your responsibilities at your own peril

Peter Pan - You've got to grow up before you die

Biblical Lectures (35 Hours):

Right here!

Other links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson
Podcasts: https://jordanbpeterson.com/jordan-b-peterson-podcast/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos

Does he have memes? YOU BETCHA BUCKO!

yoBDEzb.jpg

N2xa1SG.jpg

ZmJror1.jpg

0uI1huF.png

xACdlkZ.jpg

BRB cleaning my room

Oct 26, 2017
The OP completely misrepresents what Bill C-16 is/does. From Vice:
Bill C-16 adds the words "gender identity or expression" to a list of protected classes under the Canadian Human Rights Act and to the Criminal Code.

The Human Rights Act protects certain groups, prone to discrimination, from being fired, evicted, or otherwise discriminated against in federally-regulated workplaces, housing projects, or through Ottawa-run services.

"The addition to the human rights code is not about criminalizing anything," said University of Toronto professor Brenda Cossman, pointing out that violating the human rights code can only be punished through fines or non-financial remedies, like changing hiring practices, but never jail time.

The Supreme Court, in a 2013 case, found that for someone to run afoul of the Human Rights Act, it needed to be actively encouraging hatred.

"People are free to debate or speak out against the rights or characteristics of vulnerable groups, but not in a manner which is objectively seen to expose them to hatred and its harmful effects," the top court ruled.

What's more, Ontario—where Peterson works—already has human rights protections for transgender people in the provincial human rights code, thanks to a bill, virtually identical to C-16, that was passed by the Ontario legislature in 2012.

OP
OP
Jader7777

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
The OP completely misrepresents what Bill C-16 is/does. From Vice:

I'll admit I have no experience with Canadian law and I haven't even read Bill C-16, but I did include the actual hour long video of the Senate hearing regarding the case. If anyone is interested please watch it and let me know what you think.

But really I'd like to talk about some of the concepts he puts forth about Disney movies, I thought those might be relatable to people here.

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
I've watched most of the Pinocchio one. His ideas about it have gotten me to appreciate it a lot more, especially with the side characters of Stromboli, the Fox, and the Cat.

David Ricardo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've listened to some of his podcasts and I like what I heard in them. Very profound and thoughtful analysis.

I just ordered his previous book maps of meaning.

OP
OP
Jader7777

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Yes I have to agree, the Pinocchio video blew me away with how insightful the symbolism is. Rewatching the movie you can really see the intense detail to the animation.

Can't wait for his book. Going to clean my room listening to it. :)

Oct 25, 2017
While I wouldn't word it that way personally, I do think there is a discussion to be had about progressives being so tolerant that they start tolerating intolerant cultures.

But they don't tolerate intolerant cultures. Leftists do not permit abuse by Muslims. A big part too of the support for Muslims in the U.S. is basically this: for every time you see some Muslim doing something horrible, it's usually that the victim is also a Muslim.

Jktpnymonorel

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
idk its too short and begin abruptly , maybe you can share the whole interview?

That said Im surprise the thread didnt pickup any steam after the whole scenario with the channel 4 interview.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
With a decent sample size at this point, threads about Jordan Peterson's periodic inflammatory comments have tended not to produce good or enlightening discussion. Giving these remarks attention does not appear to leave the community better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.