• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The explanation seems to point to that Sukuna couldn't use Fire Arrow against Gojo due to the way they used their domains left him unable to meet the requirements. So I wouldn't say that was an example of Sukuna holding back against Gojo.

Does it even work against Limitless (as in, in a fight where there is no Mahoraga helping him)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The writing seems to point to that Sukuna couldn't use Fire Arrow against Gojo due to the way they used their domains left him unable to meet the requirements.
Yeah, because of the strategy used.
With the initial clash, Sukuna does an open domain like again Makora.
and he used the arrow there as well so clearly after the initial domain when Gojo's domain collapsed then the arrow strat was in play.
Does it even work against Limitless (as in, in a fight where there is no Mahoraga helping him)
Limitless is no longer in play because Gojo's domain collapsed and we're talking about before Gojo regen his CT.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because of the strategy used.
With the initial clash, Sukuna does an open domain like again Makora.
and he used the arrow there as well so clearly after the initial domain when Gojo's domain collapsed then the arrow strat was in play.
Maybe, but Sukuna more than likely wasn't going to use it since he thought he was overwhelmingly winning with just his regular dismantle and cleave from MS. And by the time he would have realized he needed it he was locked out of using it.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
It was pointed out to me recently that Lightning's translation (which is the most accurate we have) has Gojo saying this:

im-not-sure-id-win-if-he-didnt-have-ten-shadows-v0-ntr309op2dqb1.jpeg

Which pretty firmly implies Gojo thinks that Sukuna couldn't beat him without 10 shadows, although it still would've been close (and the first half of the fight was very close. It's only after Gojo read Sukuna during the domain battle that he started decisively pulling ahead)

I think the part about him "holding back" was Sukuna saving his reincarnation for the partial refresh after the Gojo fight. Especially if Sukuna could combine the Heian era form with 10 shadows.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck trying to rescue Megumi, Gojo should have just nuked his ass with that HP. Gojo was holding back more. Gojo won.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Maybe, but Sukuna more than likely wasn't going to use it since he thought he was overwhelmingly winning with just his regular dismantle and cleave from MS. And by the time he would have realized he needed it he was locked out of using it.
I guess you can chalk it up to cockiness but then again I think that Sukuna's strategy was already put in place way before.
It doesn't really make sense to use a strategy that was so risky when really MS + oven flame was such a sure fire hit AND he knew that the whole team of jobbers was gonna rush afterward.
Literally in the case he goes for that, the battle is over super quickly and he has his full bag to dismantle every opp.
"But what if he wasn't sure his domain was stronger or something?"

He knew from the moment go that his domain was going for the large area, it's extremely unlikely that any opponent would have gone for a similar open domain. so regardless Sukuna had to have known that whatever happens and whoever was the opponent he would win the 1st domain clash easily because of how unorthodox that was.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limitless is no longer in play because Gojo's domain collapsed and we're talking about before Gojo regen his CT.

I'm saying in general, not that specific fight

All this shit with the domain rules and what not is going over my head lol, especially with the Gojo fight being ages ago

I'm just basically asking does any of this give any merit to Gojo's weird claim he probably would've lost even without 10S

It was pointed out to me recently that Lightning's translation (which is the most accurate we have) has Gojo saying this:

im-not-sure-id-win-if-he-didnt-have-ten-shadows-v0-ntr309op2dqb1.jpeg

Which pretty firmly implies Gojo thinks that Sukuna couldn't beat him without 10 shadows, although it still would've been close (and the first half of the fight was very close. It's only after Gojo read Sukuna during the domain battle that he started decisively pulling ahead)

I think the part about him "holding back" was Sukuna saving his reincarnation for the partial refresh after the Gojo fight. Especially if Sukuna could combine the Heian era form with 10 shadows.

I see, interesting...

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sukuna wanted to learn the world cut because Limitless is a probably regardless of the generation and having reliable way to bypass it is useful.

Right the lightning translation sounds like he needed the ten shadows to win

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm saying in general, not that specific fight

All this shit with the domain rules and what not is going over my head lol, especially with the Gojo fight being ages ago

I'm just basically asking does any of this give any merit to Gojo's weird claim he probably would've lost even without 10S
I kinda think it does because of this specific oven flame thing.
It's basically a huge AOE flame inside the domain that crushed Jogo the volcano curse.
In a no hold barred fight between Gojo and Heian Sukuna,
both do Domain and when basically when Gojo domain crumble, Sukuna throw the arrow and GG.
Since Gojo's domain is toast, he doesn't have Limitless so he cannot dodge the domain wide arrow.

From everything we've been told in this story, this is the scenario of how Gojo loses that fight.
Without 10S, Sukuna doesn't really have any other alternative to bypass Limitless anyway.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you can chalk it up to cockiness but then again I think that Sukuna's strategy was already put in place way before.
It doesn't really make sense to use a strategy that was so risky when really MS + oven flame was such a sure fire hit AND he knew that the whole team of jobbers was gonna rush afterward.
Literally in the case he goes for that, the battle is over super quickly and he has his full bag to dismantle every opp.
"But what if he wasn't sure his domain was stronger or something?"

He knew from the moment go that his domain was going for the large area, it's extremely unlikely that any opponent would have gone for a similar open domain. so regardless Sukuna had to have known that whatever happens and whoever was the opponent he would win the 1st domain clash easily because of how unorthodox that was.
I'd argue Sukuna's cockiness is inherent to the battle since he didn't even think he was taking damage from UV until after he lost his domain. Sukuna wouldn't use Furnace until after it was too late since he is always going to be trying to prove a point with this fight. (That he's overwhelmingly superior)

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'd argue Sukuna's cockiness is inherent to the battle since he didn't even think he was taking damage from UV until after he lost his domain. Sukuna wouldn't use Furnace until after it was too late since he is always going to be trying to prove a point with this fight. (That he's overwhelmingly superior)
Adn that's where I show my preferences,
cocky villains are overdone because it's always the same shit with them, they could win but they prefer playing with their food so much they end up dead and look stupid.
Doesn't even make sense!
What do you do when you're high level in a RPG and you encounter mooks?
You nuke them with the flashiest display possible, what are they gonna do anyway?
You're the strongest so it doesn't matter that they know the depth of your bag or not.
A quick display of overwhelming superiority is especially important considering that everyone knew that the fight was on tv after all.

Oct 25, 2017
cocky villains are overdone because it's always the same shit with them, they could win but they prefer playing with their food so much they end up dead and look stupid.
Doesn't even make sense!
You nuke them with the flashiest display possible, what are they gonna do anyway?
You're the strongest so it doesn't matter that they know the depth of your bag or not.
A quick display of overwhelming superiority is especially important considering that everyone knew that the fight was on tv after all.
Remember that sorcerers are selfish by nature.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, one of the big appeals of that fight was that Gojo and Sukuna were both cocky, and it was exciting to see who brought the receipts.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're (probably) getting an obligatory opening flashback next chapter, I wonder if Gege is even going to try to justify why Todo wasn't helping out during the Culling Games.

Like, it still fails to stand up to scrutiny, but I can at least suspend by disbelief enough to the point where I can buy the explanation in this chapter for why Todo waited so long to jump in this fight. But why wasn't he there beforehand? Was he in a coma? Did someone use the free month they had to build his prosthetic?
reminder that the culling games take place like a week or ten days after Shibuya and is all the span of a few days I think. The month timeskip is after that. Totally would make sense that Todo is still recovering and hasn't figured out how to regain access to boogie woogie yet. Also says that he was training with Okkotsu during that month to experiment with the technique.
Uraume really hit the Nah I'd Win face
biggest death flag in history
I guess I'm in the minority but I'm okay with what Sukuna has been doing with binding vows.

Like, Gege could have written everything we've seen without using vows, just saying "hey, this CT only works in a domain" and the result would have been the same. While using vows conveys the fact that Sukuna knows his shit and can fine tune his techniques, not just through brute force but also tradeoffs.
i feel the same. sure, it's a convenient way to get sukuna out of sticky scnearios, but it also shows his mastery over jujutsu that he's able to swiftly change the conditions of his technique. Gojo was able to do it too.

i don't mind the explanation for Todo being kept a secret lol

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ten shadows sucks, megumi should have died and nobara should have lived and sukuna should have stolen nobaras body for her technique instead

would have clapped gojo sooo fast in a way that doesnt make people mad and nobara would at least try to fight back

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't even make sense!

True considering Sukuna used Domain Expansion on a frikken FingerBearer, and cubed Himiko.

But part of Sukunas character and it has been mentioned many times. He enjoys the fight....if he thinks you can entertain him he will get as much out of the meal as he can.

During Gojo and Jogo he outright expressed that he was enjoying the fighting.
People he doesn't think are worth the time he wastes easily Yorusu he clapped without even thinking, Granite Cannon guy he walked right through.

During the Kashimo afterlife Sukuna even explained that there are so many flavors of human he would love to experience the variety, many times we've seen him try get rid of people he thinks aren't worth the hassle quickly while playing with those he thinks will be fun.

Sukuna has no real end goal like most villains....he is literally here just to have fun killing sorcerers.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sukuna getting his ass beat only to call Uraume, so they have their own Boogie Woogie tag team battle. Fire and Ice baby.

Sukuna hasn't exactly been losing in hand to hand combat.
And now it's just Yuji and Todo?

When the narrator points out that Sukuna might be in CT burnout I was thinking so what?
Dis ninja ain't losing hand to hand vs Yuji and Todo?

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Sukuna hasn't exactly been losing in hand to hand combat.
And now it's just Yuji and Todo?

When the narrator points out that Sukuna might be in CT burnout I was thinking so what?
Dis ninja ain't losing hand to hand vs Yuji and Todo?
He was losing to Yuji in hand to hand combat just before he threw up that domain though.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Shower Thought: Sukuna's CT is in burnout, but no one said anything about Megumi's....

He should still have at least some of Ten Shadows left, right?