• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

X is often in the range of 50-60 whereas Pro is often 40-50 but framerate can vary wildly and both machines can hit 60FPS in certain scenes. Cutscenes run rather well at 30FPS locked with higher quality motion blur and DoF. Wouldn't be surprised if cutscenes are higher resolution too.

This is a much bigger difference than I expected after seeing the base PS4 and Pro performance. I've been playing on X and been annoyed with the framerate, can't imagine how I would be reacting to the framerate on Pro. X looks like a 10FPS advantage in many scenes, hitting 60FPS much much more often but still has a lot of drops.

For those here with a Pro, you can force the Pro to output at 1080p to get framerate results similar to Xbox One X in its 4K mode.

Still no word of what resolution X is running at, has anyone pixel counted? Pro is running at 1440p.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
But are there 2 modes - 4K and performance? How's the FPS in 4K mode? Stable 30? Can't watch vids right now.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the other mode locked at 30fps without frame pacing issues on the X?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interested to see what res the 1X is running at. Mostly high 50s and 60 seems good. The drop to 30 for cutscenes always feels a bit odd personally but I k ow what they do it.

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
Bought on XBX so good to hear. After AC7 on X being worse off than the Pro framerate-wise despite the same resolution I was worried this would be the same.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
My brother's going to playing this on a 720p TV with a PS4 Pro, this makes me wonder if it'll have better performance again or if it'll be downsampling the 1080p mode

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Playing on 1X right now. Can confirm both modes feel like shit consistency wise. I makes no sense that there isn't a 1080/60fps mode on 1X.

Rckstar

Oct 29, 2017
Finished it on Pro.
Was mostly fine except for the Pirates World, had some bad dips there.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
"Stable" mode arguably feels more erratic than normal mode with unlocked frame rate. That about says it all for the performance in this game.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Would have bought on X, but it bothered me because I have the rest of the series on PS4. I'm dumb I guess.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
I've read loads of complains about the framerate on PS4 pro.
Having one but with a 1080p-only TV, I couldn't understand why some people complained that much (I had the feeling it was running at 50-60fps, so much better than 0.2). Until I realised with the video that the 1440p-ish resolution isn't downsampled to 1080p, hence the better performance.

I feel sorry for people with a 4k screen, having to deal with a degraded resolution, because the 1440p performance mode isn't... performant enough.

Xbox One X is very stunning though !
I think they have the best way to play the game. It's really shameful SE didn't port the Story So Far, because video recap isn't enough to get the full picture.

I'm eager to have the Dark1x's analysis (or anybody else at DF) on YouTube !

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What graphics options are available for this on PS4 Pro? Is there a 1080p mode that target framerate to be higher? If so what is the avg framerate of this mode on the Pro?
On the quality mode (if there is one?) what res and avg framerate are available?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If I had to choose it's easily the default mode because that at least feels smooth half the time when it's actually running at 60fps. Stable mode just constantly feels awful.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I trust leng jai . We've been on the same page about performance several times.
I would leng jai has a very sharp eye lol. Way more than most. But it also can be overkill and many won't be able to notice. He should freelance for DF lol, especially since John is getting bored with the comparison stuff. But good to have his input.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to choose it's easily the default mode because that at least feels smooth half the time when it's actually running at 60fps. Stable mode just constantly feels awful.

This has been my experience as well on the X. Default is playable but stable is not an option.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on a PRO while disabling the supersampling and it feels consistent. I really hope Digital foundry test using this setting.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only at the beginning of the game but it feels smooth enough on the 1X. It's also the most technically stunning cartoony looks I've seen in a game, due to the better assets and resolutions it beats Super Mario Odyssey as well. Very good looking game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I knew this was going to happen. All that work on materials and lighting, only to ruin the consistency of it.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but feel they'll be patching in performance improvements like they did with FFXV.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you set the Display settings to 720p, it would be a downsampled 1080p, wouldn't it ?

I have no idea. I remember people claiming The Last Guardian ran better at 720p, but never tested it myself.

Eww.

Is this more for testing purposes lol.

I still play my PS3 regularly, so I honestly wouldn't mind playing at 720p if it gives me perfect performance. It's good enough at 1080p, though, so in a way it is more for testing purposes. I'm more curious about it than interested in playing at 720p.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I will be back home in 10min and will grab a Xbox One X screenshot for anyone wanna do pixel counting.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong guys: I have a Samsung NU8000, and it's not letting me switch the tv to any resolution below 4K (PS4Pro). Am I doing something wrong; is there a trick to it?