• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The King of Fighters XV is launching on 6 platforms:

• PS4
  • PS5
  • XBOX Series X|S
  • Microsoft Store
  • Steam
  • Epic Games Store
I find it interesting that the website clearly states that the PS4 and PS5 versions have crossplay, which implies that the other versions don't? (PS4/5 crossplay is obvious and expected so doesn't really need to be said) While it would be amazing if the game had full crossplay across all platforms, at the very least couldn't we get crossplay between Xbox and Win10 versions, and Steam and Epic? (see edit below). Or Win10/Steam/Epic since they are all PC platforms?

I could very well be jumping the gun and things could still be happening or just yet to be announced, but the fact that they specifically stated crossplay exists with PS4/5 doesn't leave me especially hopeful.

I really do wish crossplay was the norm in fighting games. We've cleared the rollback hurdle but this one still remains. GGST was said to be in the "verification process" for console - PC crossplay in July but I don't think we've heard anything since (correct me if I'm wrong). Melty Blood: Type Lumina was released recently and the devs explicitly stated that there is NO crossplay whatsoever.

Let us play together!

#crossplay4all

EDIT: It's since been confirmed that Epic and Steam versions are crossplay.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
How many modern fighting games have crossplay? I think it's really just SFV and Power Rangers: BFTG, right? By "crossplay", I mean crossplay between *all* versions, not just crossplay between only Sony/only Microsoft platforms, in which case there's a lot of fighting games with crossplay. I think MK11 also had crossplay, but not for ranked mode.

But again, only SFV and Power Rangers have the best kind of crossplay. I'd like for KOF XV to be the third, but I don't have any realistic expectations of it happening.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
How many modern fighting games have crossplay? I think it's really just SFV and Power Rangers: BFTG, right? By "crossplay", I mean crossplay between *all* versions, not just crossplay between only Sony/only Microsoft platforms, in which case there's a lot of fighting games with crossplay. I think MK11 also had crossplay, but not for ranked mode.

But again, only SFV and Power Rangers have the best kind of crossplay. I'd like for KOF XV to be the third, but I don't have any realistic expectations of it happening.

GG Strive?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Fantasy Strike. Brawlhalla too.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they're smart about the game's longevity they'll make it happen.

Oct 26, 2017

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Brawlhalla's another one, too. So, not many major titles have it. A handful of indies, and Street Fighter V. Another major title getting crossplay as well as rollback netcode would be a really good thing, but I don't know if KOF will be the next one for it. Heck, KOF XV needs an online beta to test out the netcode and there's not a peep about that yet.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Brawlhalla's another one, too. So, not many major titles have it. A handful of indies, and Street Fighter V. Another major title getting crossplay as well as rollback netcode would be a really good thing, but I don't know if KOF will be the next one for it. Heck, KOF XV needs an online beta to test out the netcode and there's not a peep about that yet.
Hopefully, they can actually SHATTER ALL EXPECTATIONS.

Ryunosuke Naruhodo

Alt-Account
Banned
May 8, 2021

Street Fighter 100% wouldn't have crossplay between all versions if it was available in more then 2 systems

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like crossplay will make or break this game's popularity once the launch period ends. I'm gonna pick up the game at launch this time because I don't wanna miss the boat like I did with Samurai Shodown, but having the player base fractured over so many platforms will not bode well long term

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Unfortunately with Japanese fighting game devs it is one step at a time and in this case I do not expect them to do anything beyond Windows Store and Xbox. Even Windows Store/Steam/Epic crossplay feels unlikely to me.

KOF needs crossplay especially with how big the series is in Mexico I think it will do better than most fighting games do on Xbox and have a much more split community.

(PS4/5 crossplay is obvious and expected so doesn't really need to be said)
It is not obvious. Several games do not do this. Like for example the recently released Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl does not have crossplay between PlayStation 4 and 5. Though they said they want to change that and are looking into full crossplay in general there.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

I guess Killer Instinct counts? It's crossplay with the Steam version alongside Xbox/Win10.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's the next big Goal after rollback and essential for the growth of the genre. I really hope more devs get on board with this. I just hold my breathe that Capcom doesn't move backwards with SF6.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Ah really? I didn't know that. Seems like a weird decision.
It stands out particularly because the game already uses an Xbox Live account so you're functionally already doing the same thing as the W10 version, and I believe it's the only MS game that's also on Steam and has any sort of restrictions for crossplay.

Even in Gears 5, crossplay is now default on with no way to turn it off I believe.

Elano

Banned
Aug 4, 2021
The devs want these features in too, but the reason they aren't in is lack of budget for the features, as always.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
The devs want these features in too, but the reason they aren't in is lack of budget for the features, as always.

Could also be policies messing with the ability to make crossplay happen between all the platforms.

We've been seeing it in big F2P games and sparingly in a few fighters but the fighting game genre out of all of them need the feature the most. KoF 15 would be a prime case for it given it's on 3 major platforms (sadly no Switch) but having all the platforms split just seems very archaic, especially during these times where having active online lobbies is so important.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to think of whats in common with the games that have proper crossplay. I think if i recall correctly, there's some sort of platform agnostic account for the games that I'm thinking. Maybe someone from NWay could shine a light on things? This is just an assumption of mine however.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to think of whats in common with the games that have proper crossplay. I think if i recall correctly, there's some sort of platform agnostic account for the games that I'm thinking. Maybe someone from NWay could shine a light on things? This is just an assumption of mine however.
This is a thing (Power Rangers does do that, as does SFV) but third-party server infrastructure such as Amazon Web Services allow this via its own cross-play built-in GameLift thing. (I figured this was the entire reason why Strive uses AWS and links your account to an AWS account).

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
The King of Fighters XV is launching on 6 platforms:

• PS4
  • PS5
  • XBOX Series X|S
  • Microsoft Store
  • Steam
  • Epic Games Store
I find it interesting that the website clearly states that the PS4 and PS5 versions have crossplay, which implies that the other versions don't? (PS4/5 crossplay is obvious and expected so doesn't really need to be said) While it would be amazing if the game had full crossplay across all platforms, at the very least couldn't we get crossplay between Xbox and Win10 versions, and Steam and Epic? (see edit below). Or Win10/Steam/Epic since they are all PC platforms?

I could very well be jumping the gun and things could still be happening or just yet to be announced, but the fact that they specifically stated crossplay exists with PS4/5 doesn't leave me especially hopeful.

I really do wish crossplay was the norm in fighting games. We've cleared the rollback hurdle but this one still remains. GGST was said to be in the "verification process" for console - PC crossplay in July but I don't think we've heard anything since (correct me if I'm wrong). Melty Blood: Type Lumina was released recently and the devs explicitly stated that there is NO crossplay whatsoever.

Let us play together!

#crossplay4all

EDIT: It's since been confirmed that Epic and Steam versions are crossplay.

Sorry for very old mention, but can you point me to where the confirmation of EGS and Steam crossplay comes from?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for very old mention, but can you point me to where the confirmation of EGS and Steam crossplay comes from?

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV 2nd OPEN BETA TEST ANNOUNCED! CHOOSE FROM 8 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS INCLUDING KOF NEWCOMER, KROHNEN!|NEWS RELEASE|SNK USA

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV 2nd OPEN BETA TEST ANNOUNCED! CHOOSE FROM 8 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS INCLUDING KOF NEWCOMER, KROHNEN!|The official SNK USA website.

evz69rP.png