• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was set 16 years in the past when it was released in 2002, it's depiction of an 80s Miami feeling like a bygone era, a world away. But it's now been 16 years since the release of Vice City.

I had this horrifying thought while explaining the concept of "music that existed before you were born" to my kids the other day. I'd remembered some of my favourite "old" music is from Vice City's Emotion soundtrack, then went pale as I did the math.

Horror soon gave way to daydreaming, though, as I wondered what a "retro" GTA set in the year 2002 might actually look (and more importantly sound) like. I know GTA 3 was released only a year earlier in 2001, but it's hardly a time capsule of the turn of millennium; it's off-brand soundtrack and character design wasn't as interested in representing the times as they were looking like a Michael Mann movie.

You've got a nation still raw and wounded from the events of 9/11, with all the horrors that day would set in motion only just starting to gather steam, yet there was still also a touch of the last days of summer about it, as the West drained its last reserves of turn-of-the-millennium optimism before settling into the dark timeline we're currently living through.

Revisiting those days, reflected in GTA's trademark TV and radio ads, billboards and mission themes, would be fascinating, especially since it's a time period so ripe for parody. Imagine all the frosted tips! Brick phones! Shiny jeans! Boot cuts! Nu metal! It was such an earnest time. There was terror but there was also still hope. We all thought the environment could be saved, that Nazis had been defeated in 1945, that the worst that could happen in an election were some hanging chads, that the internet was a force for good.

Some 2000's soundtrack suggestions and more: https://kotaku.com/a-retro-grand-theft-auto-would-now-be-set-in-the-year-2-1828670848

Would you play a GTA set 16 years ago from now? I would. I was very young in those days, it was a different era for me than for many people here.

But why did the 80s feel so long ago back in the 2000s than the 2000s do now?

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
The difference I feel is that the 80s are remembered fondly, and some of the music and style still hold a special place for people today. As someone who graduated high school in the early 2000s, our era sucked. The music doesn't hold a special place in my heart, and it just feels like an embarrassing period.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
The difference I feel is that the 80s are remembered fondly, and some of the music and style still hold a special place for people today. As someone who graduated high school in the early 2000s, our era sucked. The music doesn't hold a special place in my heart, and it just feels like an embarrassing period.
I think some people who's 80s is your 00s, felt the same way.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
San Andreas was what, 2003? I think that would scratch such an itch.

Jul 17, 2018
"You know, I wondered what a retro GTA would be like and I wrote an article about it"

Kotaku always brings the hard-hitting journalism.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
2002 isn't distinct and a lot of the post-9/11 themes and satire is super prevalent in GTA IV which was lampooning a Bush-era America already.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
But why did the 80s feel so long ago back in the 2000s than the 2000s do now?
One reason I've heard for the 80s and early 90s feeling drastically different to the 2000s vs those times and now is because the accessibility of the internet and other technologies created a major paradigm shift for people with access.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack would encompass Avril Lavinge, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Britney Spears and Nickelback...
The 2000's sucked hard for music.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
It feel like societal changes from the 80's to the 00's were a lot greater than the 00's to the 10's

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack would encompass Avril Lavinge, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Britney Spears and Nickelback...
The 2000's sucked hard for music.

Just did a search for the Billboard top 20 for 2002

Yeah...no thanks.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
a lot of 2000s in terms of style and music was kinda plain and boring? idk i wouldn't really be interested.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
This is the era that I mentally associate with this guy:
bwkg1kopacawdjzhljy1.jpg

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
video games were good in that era, other than that it's just more of the same. not even post-9/11 has over to this day

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yup

my go to "horrifying realization of time passing by" is the time between 80s and vice city < time between vice city and now

2002 GTA would be absolute booty, and that's like peak nostalgia years for me. 80s miami vice aesthetic and 90s straight outta compton aesthetic shit on ANYTHING they can think of from the early 2000s.

I'd much rather they did 70s, or 80s again, or 90s again.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
yup

my go to "horrifying realization of time passing by" is the time between 80s and vice city < time between vice city and now

2002 GTA would be absolute booty, and that's like peak nostalgia years for me. 80s miami vice aesthetic and 90s straight outta compton aesthetic shit on ANYTHING they can think of from the early 2000s.

I'd much rather they did 70s, or 80s again, or 90s again.

It's moot anyway. GTA has moved on from movie homage and parody.

GTA VI is very likely to be the third straight contemporary setting.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Fake horror is when you realize a game is closer to its retro stylings than the current day.

Real horror is when a guy who has kids writes about music before he was born and it's the eighties.

Though looking at his pictures and everything he seems to be the same age as me, so maybe it was just confusingly worded

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
that would be fucking awesome. they could play around with a ton of cultural stuff, which of course is right in their wheelhouse.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
We can argue, we can call each other names but I'm sure we can all agree on one thing:

Every game needs Sk8er Boi in the soundtrack.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think the 00 and the 10s merge together a bit in terms of culture. The 90s would be the more meaningful retro representation as it has a firmly different feel. Maybe it's because that's when I was a kid...

Oct 26, 2017
Fake horror is when you realize a game is closer to its retro stylings than the current day.

Real horror is when a guy who has kids writes about music before he was born and it's the eighties.

Though looking at his pictures and everything he seems to be the same age as me, so maybe it was just confusingly worded
What? You do realise how long ago the 80's were right? It's entirely feasible to have kids and not be born in the 80's

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

For people that graduated high school in 2013-2015, early 2000s are a source of great nostalgia.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

Everyone wants another GTA set in the 80s, even if they weren't even alive back then. Nobody really wants an early 2000s GTA, and I was a kid during that period.