• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
As I said, the point would be that if the FTC notices that Microsoft is making overtures towards buying the majority of the industry's major multiplatform third party publishers, that would be when the FTC has to act.

I honestly don't think they would have anything to act on, and i don't really understand why people think there would be. It seems that people just want the FTC to shut it down rather than having any real good reasons for it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple studios on the ropes, some of their biggest non-licensed IP are in the toilet, currently in process of trying to pull themselves out from the FIFA license with EA FC...

Seems like a perfect time to sell lol

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What about a merger with Discovery Warner Bros.?

Andrew Wilson, wants to keep running the company, so unless the sell is super juici, they would want to pursue a merge rather than a sell. (so I think companies like Microsoft, Google or Apple are unlikely)
I can't imagine Warner Bros Discovery would be interested: they're in cost-cutting mode after the merger, and so big acquisitions won't be on their agenda. If there's going to be anyone merging into EA, it'll probably be Comcast.

Jan 31, 2018
Can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't mind Microsoft getting them. It's the only way we might see another NHL title on PC again.

Suspect it'll be amazon. They already seem to have a relationship of sorts based on prime giveaways.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Warner Bros Discovery would be interested: they're in cost-cutting mode after the merger, and so big acquisitions won't be on their agenda. If there's going to be anyone merging into EA, it'll probably be Comcast.

EA has proven to be good at one thing, which is making money off of exclusive licensed games, WB would give them a buffet to choose from. A merger or partnership of some kind could benefit both companies.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
would be ape shit if MS bought them.
If the DOJ is scrutinizing their Activision acquisition I really doubt EA would get through.

As for a candidate, I really think Amazon will take a shot. They've wanted to get into Gaming for a while but it's a hard market to crack from the ground up without experienced studio heads. If they bought EA, not only would they have a library of games, they could add the EA Game Pass as yet another Prime Membership perk.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
I honestly don't think they would have anything to act on, and i don't really understand why people think there would be. It seems that people just want the FTC to shut it down rather than having any real good reasons for it.
I personally do not think console manufacturers should be able to buy market position by turning formerly multiplatform franchises/IPs into exclusives for a single ecosystem.

If you're new to the market and are looking to build up your publishing/development arm, that's a different story.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I personally do not think console manufacturers should be able to buy market position by turning formerly multiplatform franchises/IPs into exclusives for a single ecosystem.

If you're new to the market and are looking to build up your publishing/development arm, that's a different story.

Yeah but I highly doubt they would make anything EA sports or battlefield etc only on xbox for example, same as cod.

Amin_Parker

Dec 25, 2019
Tokyo
Although it might be impossible at this time I would love to see Microsoft buy EA. Even if they will have to wait until after their acquisition of Activision gets approved

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
Yeah but I highly doubt they would make anything EA sports or battlefield etc only on xbox for example, same as cod.
1. I don't think MS is looking. It seems like, for me, they were acquiring high-value IP attached to competent, flexible developers, and they got much of that through BS and ABK (if it goes through). I don't know how much of that EA possesses anymore.
2. I don't see the value in any console manufacturer going after EA. They've run most of their IP into the ground and seems way too bloated on the outside looking in.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
1. I don't think MS is looking. It seems like, for me, they were acquiring high-value IP attached to competent, flexible developers, and they got much of that through BS and ABK (if it goes through). I don't know how much of that EA possesses anymore.
2. I don't see the value in any console manufacturer going after EA. They've run most of their IP into the ground and seems way too bloated on the outside looking in.

Yeah I don't think they would either

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides single player IP's that are dead, nothing EA releases interests me

The fact that a dead space remake is the most exciting thing coming out of EA in many years tells you everything you need to know about the company

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
EA FC will make bank, just like it always does. EA lose very little by cutting ties with FIFA. All stadium and team licensing is done separately to FIFA. only the world cup is FIFA's. EA own all the assets and devs and so they'll just reskin their 2023 game and carry on making money.

So whoever buys EA will still be buying a massive money making machine.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Besides single player IP's that are dead, nothing EA releases interests me

The fact that a dead space remake is the most exciting thing coming out of EA in many years tells you everything you need to know about the company

actually, the only thing it tells me anything about is your preference in games.

i certainly am excited for new rally, f1, nfs game, i also played hundreds of hours of apex, thousands hours of battlefield (not 2042, that was indeed crap), enjoyed it takes two, a way out, unravel, looking forward the jedi fallen order sequel...

in fact a remake of a game that looks perfectly fine even now is probably the last thing that interests me.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think ftc would block a ms purchase( not that i think ms will try and buy them) because most of ea would stay multiplat.

The sports game would be multiplat due to deals.
Apex would stay multiplat.
Battlefield could also stay multiplat just like cod.

That would just leave bioware, codemasters, and non apex respawn as exclusive.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think ftc would block a ms purchase( not that i think ms will try and buy them) because most of ea would stay multiplat.

The sports game would be multiplat due to deals.
Apex would stay multiplat.
Battlefield could also stay multiplat just like cod.

That would just leave bioware, codemasters, and non apex respawn as exclusive.
The FTC would most likely look at the pattern of MS buying up 3 of the biggest video game publishers in the past 3 years

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of GP but the subscription model for platform holders seems like it's got all of the promise and huge risks we're seeing right now with Netflix -- big upside (get to a huge userbase and fast) but with huge cash burn and content acquisition costs.

Also I can't say I'm a fan of MS's current model of including base games but then nickel and diming the DLC for first party games.

EA seems like they've been an incredibly poorly run publisher for like decades now. You'd have to imagine that whoever buys them would be targeting their sports division and Respawn, and basically spinning off/selling everything else.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
After EA killed Battlefield there really isn't much left I care for. FIFA died a long time ago too, it's an atrocious football game from a base gameplay point of view.

Don't think it makes much sense for any of the platform holders, and as I said earlier it probably isn't feasible for either of them.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I can't see what apple would want with them
9to5mac.com

Apple in talks to buy EA, Disney and Amazon potential suitors- 9to5Mac

Video game publisher Electronic Arts (EA) is actively seeking a potential buyer or merger. Apple has reportedly been in talks...
It doesn't sound like it was serious talks, just the same shopping around that EA has been doing to all the tech/media giants.

The source is the same Puck report that broke the NBCUniversal-EA story and mentioned talks with Disney and Apple as side notes. 9to5Mac just focused on the Apple bit because they're an Apple blog.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Would make a ton of sense for a company like Disney if the price is right. EA also having some of their biggest studios in Orlando might ease parts of that merger if it happened, opportunity to consolidate. If Netflix stock price hadn't tumbled in the last 3 months then Netflix would be a contender as well, but for a leveraged acquisition it'd be risky for Netflix with their current valuation drop and I don't know if the board wants to take that risk.

I'd be surprised if a traditional video game publisher bought them, I think they're too big/expensive, unless it's Microsoft. I'd expect someone wanting to get into online communities, VR, meta verse, social networking in a safe, contained way. Disney, Amazon, or even someone totally out of left field in tech like Salesforce or Uber, as a way to diversify their ownership catalog.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Would make a ton of sense for a company like Disney if the price is right. EA also having some of their biggest studios in Orlando might ease parts of that merger if it happened, opportunity to consolidate.

There's also a world of potential synergies between EA Sports and the ESPN brand.

Still, I don't think Disney is the most likely suitor here. Theme park revenue was hit hard by covid closures, and I don't think they totally saw eye to eye with EA on the Star Wars games.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
There is every possibility that Microsoft did evaluate EA as a potential acquisition candidate prior to deciding upon Activision-Blizzard and simply decided that the the value wasn't there.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
EA has lots of IP that I would like to see but their current output is not really for me. I am interested in whatever Mass Effect is next and maybe Respawn's non-Star Wars projects.. but otherwise I just can't bring myself to care.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
9to5mac.com

Apple in talks to buy EA, Disney and Amazon potential suitors- 9to5Mac

Video game publisher Electronic Arts (EA) is actively seeking a potential buyer or merger. Apple has reportedly been in talks...

Video game publisher Electronic Arts (EA) is actively seeking a potential buyer or merger. Apple has reportedly been in talks with the company about buying EA out according to Puck. Disney and Amazon have also been in talks about purchasing the video game company.

The Redwood City-based firm has published hits like Apex Legends, Madden, and The Sims franchise. The idea for a buyout or merger came after Microsoft purchased Activision Blizzard for $68 billion earlier this year. Shortly after, Sony purchased Bungie, the studio behind Destiny for $3.6 billion. According to Puck, EA ideally would like a merger so Andrew Wilson can remain CEO of the combined company.

EA's roots actually go back to Apple. Back in 1982, Apple's then Director of Strategy and Marketing, Trip Hawkins, left the company to start EA. A buyout wouldn't be Apple's first venture into gaming, however. The Cupertino company unveiled its gaming service Apple Arcade back in 2019. Through Apple Arcade, users can play ad-free games on their iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices.

EA spokesperson John Reseburg said the company would not comment on any "rumors and speculation relating to M&A." Reseburg added, "We are proud to be operating from a position of strength and growth, with a portfolio of amazing games, built around powerful IP, made by incredibly talented teams, and a network of more than half a billion players. We see a very bright future ahead."

Apple has not commented on a potential deal with Electronic Arts.