• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier said:
Over the past few months, the wildest rumors in video game industry circles haven't involved the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Two. The most interesting chatter has centered on a tech company that's been quietly making moves to tackle video games in a big way: Google, the conglomerate that operates our email, our internet browsers, and much more.

We haven't heard many specifics about Google's video game plans, but what we have heard is that it's a three-pronged approach: 1) Some sort of streaming platform, 2) some sort of hardware, and 3) an attempt to bring game developers under the Google umbrella, whether through aggressive recruiting or even major acquisitions. That's the word from five people who have either been briefed on Google's plans or heard about them secondhand.
Source: https://kotaku.com/sources-google-is-planning-a-game-platform-that-could-1827217387/amp

Very short summary, you should read the article:
  • Google has a new cloud streaming service called Yeti
  • They also have a hardware box, though it's unclear if it's a set top box for the streaming service or a full on console
  • Google is looking to buy a lot of developers to make content for their service
  • Google is also massively hiring developers from existing companies to make games
  • Google has approached a lot of publishers about supporting this platform as well
  • The article goes way more in-depth on all of this and more
So, a bit more on that second point, but when the rumors first emerged a few months ago, the rumor was that their hardware box was actually Xbox One X or better tier hardware, and then you could stream to anything else if you didn't buy that. It's not clear if that's true, and Jason says he couldn't find out either way. The article certainly phrases the streaming component as the biggest focus for Google.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I eagerly anticipate the unveiling, the massive slew of thinkpieces about how Google is going to dominate this market and everybody else better buckle up, the thing releases to tepid actual reviews and even more lukewarm sales, and Google quietly abandoning it in 3-5 years.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
With Googles history of starting new initiatives, I wonder if this one will stick.

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean if there's any company out there that could do this with a chance of succeeding it's Google

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Google has too much power, they could control ads, YouTube suggestions, play store on Android, just to name a few. It could have a great impact in the industry.
Edit: as others mentioned, it would depends on how committed they will be of course.

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
I eagerly anticipate the unveiling, the massive slew of thinkpieces about how Google is going to dominate this market and everybody else better buckle up, the thing releases to tepid actual reviews and even more lukewarm sales, and Google quietly abandoning it in 3-5 years.
You're overly optimistic, aren't you? :P

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
good-luck.gif

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not enough space in the console market for a 4th player. History shows that this will either fail or one of the three will be replaced. Of course that's if it's even worth jack

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

Like clockwork!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sure. The way google pretty much half asses everything ill believe it when i see it come out. They have abandoned SO many things and relaunched stuff so many times its insane.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Streaming really will be the future it seems. Though I don't think it's as close as some may think, at least for the majority. It may certainly be a popular option for those who want it within the next 5-10 years.

Hoxworth

Banned
May 21, 2018
This is pretty exciting considering their operating system is open source. Even if it were exclusive to their platform, we'll see it emulated within a year or two.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Companies like google and amazon like to get their hands into everything and then drop it 6 months later if it's not a runaway success. Remember that huge gaming focus Amazon had with all those devs and games? How'd that turn out? I don't even know if they actually released any of those games.

Mostly because of that lack of focus and dedication I want nothing to do with them (or apple). As much as I dislike MS, those companies make MS look like Sony in regards to their dedication to the industry. All those others want to do is sit back and collect royalties and lootbox money.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The hardware could be interesting if it wasn't heavily streaming focused but that doesn't seem likely. Oh well.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is old news and even says it in the article. It's another streaming solution entering the market maybe.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think the market is big enough for 3 consoles that are pretty much the same.
But more big competition should be a good thing for a short time at least and Google could eat the loses required to immediately compete.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Maybe they will abandon and launch a new platform that will claim to fix the issues of the original platform. Rinse and repeat. We could end up with four Google gaming platforms limping together at once.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Google out of anyone has the resources to do it, but I think the current paradigm might not be able to accept a new platform holder at that console level. Like I can't see them being able to bring the success from Google Play and bringing it to something with more horsepower.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There's not enough space in the console market for a 4th player. History shows that this will either fail or one of the three will be replaced. Of course that's if it's even worth jack
There is enough room for 10 players.

There isnt any room for more than 2 players targeting the same space.

The five spaces are

Dedicated console
hybrid device
mobile platform
vr
streaming

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry Google, you've not got a chance in this market. You've got to be as much a proven, successful creator of games as being able to put together the hardware in today's market.

We are well past the era where beating the competition on royalties will snare you the win and a host of exclusives like Sony and MS managed to do. Near everything will be multiplat

If they genuinely wanted a stake in games they'd be better off buying Sony or Nintendo