• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

/vp/ - /ppg/ - Pokemon Prototype General, Part 4 - Pokémon - 4chan

/ppg/ - Pokemon Prototype General, Part 4 - "/vp/ - Pokémon" is 4chan's imageboard dedicated to discussing the Pokémon series of video games and shows.

/vp/ - Pokemon Gold/Silver dev builds with corresponding - Pokémon - 4chan

Pokemon Gold/Silver dev builds with corresponding debug roms blah blah blah my uncle blah blah blah ... - "/vp/ - Pokémon" is 4chan's imageboard dedicated to discussing the Pokémon series of video games and shows.

Through a series of events that I vaguely understand, the source code to Pokemon Blue & Yellow was recently leaked onto the internet by someone who had access to the materials hacked from Nintendo's servers, which were the source of previous leaks such as the Gold & Silver Spaceworld ROM and the Gen 1 beta sprites. While there don't appear to be too many especially exciting discoveries to be found here, there are a few interesting things: most notably, the header of the Pokemon Yellow source code refers to the game as "Pocket Monsters Pink and Yellow", with additional references to a scrapped Pink version in other places as well.

1586722642851.png

Yellow also appears to have a "comprehensive set of audio files of the Pokemon from the Japanese anime in the sound folder", which would suggest that Pikachu was not always going to be the only one with speech samples replacing the standard electronic cry. Here is an example of Diguda's cry, better known as Diglett to English speakers (warning to headphone users, ya might wanna turn the sound down):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/202859782779043840/698694883929620580/DIGUDA.wav

The quality sounds extremely bad, which lines up with comments from Masuda that getting even PIkachu's speech to sound acceptable was a big challenge.

I find these discoveries very fascinating, as they paint a picture of a very different future for the series had they panned out. Pink Version likely would have used Clefairy (the original intended mascot instead of Pikachu) or Jigglypuff (who became a breakout star thanks to the anime) as the starter Pokemon and would have surely been aimed at a female audience, which could have set the stage for future boy/girl oriented versions, and anime voice samples on the humble Game Boy could have started a trend of fully voice-acted cries in every game going forward instead of merely Pikachu and Eevee like we have now.

Last edited:

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
Been following this since it started. Absolutely crazy stuff. I implore interested parties to really look through the Discord. Some very, very interesting stuff related to capsule Monsters as well.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Im 100% sure Pink Version would have be the first Pokemon with a girl as a protagonist, before Crystal debuted and made gender an option

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking through a bit, there's also an older slogan in there "Catch 'em if you can!", lots of interesting bug reports that suggest they were aware of things like Missingno. and Hyper Beam's ability to roll through teams if it kept getting KO's, text that would have resulted in the famous "The BROCK wants to fight!" screen, etc. I can't understand the technical stuff but even what I can parse has been very interesting.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
It's bonkers to me that things are STILL getting unearthed about Gen 1/2. I thought the Spaceworld GS Beta was the last we'd ever hear or see from that era but I guess not!

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day I was a pretty big mark for Pokemon stuff. Got my Game Boy Printer and everything. But I can't believe that even I'd get (my parents to get) a version that just had anime cries, if that were to be the only thing added in. But hey maybe I would have.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
D̷̢͔̍̆̀̓̒I̷͙̫͛G̷̲̎̃̏͝ͅÜ̸̞̩̺̩̋͝Ḑ̴̙̬̀̾̒̉Â̶̰͈̬̣̓

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
But I can't believe that even I'd get (my parents to get) a version that just had anime cries, if that were to be the only thing added in. But hey maybe I would have.
The implication is more that they were exploring adding more anime cries to the releases we got than just Pikachu's, not that there would have been an additional version solely adding the anime cries.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Been following this since it started. Absolutely crazy stuff. I implore interested parties to really look through the Discord. Some very, very interesting stuff related to capsule Monsters as well.

Been looking through a bit, there's also an older slogan in there "Catch 'em if you can!", lots of interesting bug reports that suggest they were aware of things like Missingno. and Hyper Beam's ability to roll through teams if it kept getting KO's, text that would have resulted in the famous "The BROCK wants to fight!" screen, etc. I can't understand the technical stuff but even what I can parse has been very interesting.

Seems like I only got the cliffsnotes, I'll definitely have to check this stuff out for myself!

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up regarding all this stuff, there's actually significant concern from TCRF and affiliates that this might actually be very illegal, not like normal release, due to the nature of the release. It involves illegal access to a private server, not things like finding this stuff on a junked computer or similar.

As such, please don't spread around the actual contents of this leak if, for whatever reason, you stumble upon it.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I understand most employees are under NDA, but at this point, how does stuff like this not directly leak from those who worked on the game?

Pokemon Pink would have been pretty huge at the time to help draw in more female players, but I'm sure Nintendo was concerned about the optics regarding not just 1 rehash but 2 (and 3 in Japan), that would have likely spread exclusives around even further. Jigglypuff was steamrolling in popularity back then (hence the addition to Smash Bros) so I can't possibly fathom how Clefairy would have been the title character.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Very interesting. I kind of wish it was Jigglypuff, since that would help it feel more "relevant" nowadays in Smash. But then again, Green does use a Clefable, so it was probably Clefairy...

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we were in the timeline where the Pokemon had their anime cries.
The game should use the anime cries come on already

That would have been awful. You realize the animal cries were literally just marketing, to help kids remember the names of different Pokemon (since they weren't on screen like in the games), right? Pokemon with animal cries is waaaaaaaaay better and pretty much every non-anime (ie. featuring Ash) animated feature uses animal cries instead. Why do people even like them?

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Jigglypuff would make sense since it played a fairly big role in the anime at the time.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Jigglypuff was steamrolling in popularity back then (hence the addition to Smash Bros) so I can't possibly fathom how Clefairy would have been the title character.
The speculation is sort of up in the air, that's a good point for Jigglypuff, plus it was in the anime a ton. On the other side of the coin Clefairy was intended to be the mascot of the anime, and looking at how Yellow was based on the anime you could see a Pink version with Clefairy standing to incorporate elements from the manga since Clefairy wound up being more of a thing back then in it. If we go down the hypothetical of Pokemon Pink Version being aimed more at female players, you could have played as the girl from the manga with her Clefairy. What we have here doesn't really suggest that Pink got very far beyond being an idea, though, so it's hard to say.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
That would have been awful. You realize the animal cries were literally just marketing, to help kids remember the names of different Pokemon (since they weren't on screen like in the games), right? Pokemon with animal cries is waaaaaaaaay better and pretty much every non-anime (ie. featuring Ash) animated feature uses animal cries instead. Why do people even like them?
i mean they dont use animal cries either they use like, synth robot noises

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand most employees are under NDA, but at this point, how does stuff like this not directly leak from those who worked on the game?

These files were hosted on a nintendo server, people broke into that server in a hack and stole lots of things that were supposed to be private. It's not someone handing people these files, it's that people basically broke into nintendo's archives digitally.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

I still dont know all the Pokemon names by memory and I'm a grown man. This would have helped me a LOT

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Pink 100% would have had Puff as the mascot

It's why Pikachu and Puff were in Smash

SAKURAI KNEW THE ENTIRE TIME

IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR FACES

Oct 27, 2017
I still dont know all the Pokemon names by memory and I'm a grown man. This would have helped me a LOT
Yeah, but in the game anytime you'd hear a cry you'd literally see the name on screen. It's not the same as in the anime where the name might not actually be written anywhere so the cry is the only way to reinforce what pokemon you're seeing if characters aren't saying its name

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, but in the game anytime you'd hear a cry you'd literally see the name on screen. It's not the same as in the anime where the name might not actually be written anywhere so the cry is the only way to reinforce what pokemon you're seeing if characters aren't saying its name

Whats so bad about that? You'd also be hearing to pronounce the names properly. There are so many benefits to both hearing the name and pronunciation while reading the spellings at the same time.

There are too many Pokemon, I can't remember each and every name when there are repeating species in new gens. Zubat, Woobat, Swoobat, fuck that shit lol

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
This is just going to fuel pokemon hackers to try to put together an "official/unofficial" Pink version out of Yellow, huh?

Just a heads up regarding all this stuff, there's actually significant concern from TCRF and affiliates that this might actually be very illegal, not like normal release, due to the nature of the release. It involves illegal access to a private server, not things like finding this stuff on a junked computer or similar.

As such, please don't spread around the actual contents of this leak if, for whatever reason, you stumble upon it.
16 youtube vids announcing these new finds being recorded as we speak.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
These files were hosted on a nintendo server, people broke into that server in a hack and stole lots of things that were supposed to be private. It's not someone handing people these files, it's that people basically broke into nintendo's archives digitally.

Yes I understand that for these. I'm speaking more generally. If Pokemon Pink was on the table, even at early stages, there has to be a decent amount of people involved with that decision. How after 25 years does someone who was involved in that process not let this slip? Just find it surprising is all.

Jun 2, 2019
I wish we were in the timeline where the Pokemon had their anime cries.

Imagine spent a whole day leveling up your team in front of the Mt Silver hearing the same 5 pokemon names for hours

Better yet, imagine it while being sped up by the doduo tower.

That would be worst timeline

The robotic cries work better for our mental health

Also, we would have never heard the best pokemon cry of all time

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still waiting for the front sprites of the canned Gen 1 pokegods pokemon, including our lord and savior Gorochu!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While having the anime cries would be a interesting proposition for a 3rd version listening to how they could've sound I can totally see why they didn't use it, ear grating stuff.

Besides the fact that they would potentially have change the sounds for the other regions which would be a pain to do.

Also Pokémon Pink seems like a fun idea.

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine spent a whole day leveling up your team in front of the Mt Silver hearing the same 5 pokemon names for hours

Better yet, imagine it while being sped up by the doduo tower.

That would be worst timeline

The robotic cries work better for our mental health

Also, we would have never heard the best pokemon cry of all time

Imagine hearing "RAY-QUAZA!" instead of the super awesome cry that matched perfectly the cry aligned with the legendary theme in R/S/E