• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Similar to have I feel about the Grand Piano, I genuinely marvel at the mechanical aspects of this set, but I personally wouldn't buy the Typewriter as it isn't what I look for in LEGO.

I love those sage colour bricks though!

21327-1.jpg

21327_Box1_v29.jpg

21327_Back_03.jpg

ideas.lego.com

Introducing LEGO® Ideas 21327 Typewriter

We're turning back time as we reveal the latest LEGO Ideas set, the 21327 Typewriter. Originally designed and submitted by LEGO fan, Steve Guinness ...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its like the piano that the video makes it look like it really works, when obviously it doesn't. I like the movement it does have - the key raising up, all(?) keys pressable (but only one arm goes up), it looks like the roll part moves from right to left as you 'type' and you can reset it with the arm.

I also really like the 'not lego' look of it - from the colours being non-typical, to the smooth sides and custom keys.

But, like the piano, there is something not quite tipping me over the edge.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the look of it but that only one arm moving for any key pressed is kind of lame enough to weirdly be a bit of a dealbreaker, even if the thing would only be on display anyway.

Nov 23, 2017
So i finally got my order from target... 3 packages. The bonsai tree, legoland (the big one), and fawkes. Now, I'm waiting for the new princess sets to be released.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I assume that hill isn't accessible? It would be kind of cool to have a cave hidden by a hill like that.

Nov 23, 2017
its like the piano that the video makes it look like it really works, when obviously it doesn't. I like the movement it does have - the key raising up, all(?) keys pressable (but only one arm goes up), it looks like the roll part moves from right to left as you 'type' and you can reset it with the arm.

I also really like the 'not lego' look of it - from the colours being non-typical, to the smooth sides and custom keys.

But, like the piano, there is something not quite tipping me over the edge.
I had some disappointments when it was finally built and saw the mechanics of it. But I saw a breakdown video of Lego Piano next to a real grand piano and it gave me a 180 look on it. Seeing a real professional (professor at Norte Dam) talk about it gives a new appreciation for the details that went into it.
youtu.be

LEGO Piano vs Real Piano: What LEGO Got Right & Wrong

What do you think about the LEGO grand piano set? Let us know in the comments!Beyond the Brick's Joshua Hanlon talks with pianist Corey Pennycuff about the n...

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Chances of a new Coruscant Police Gunship or a variant of it? It is SO pricey for a used one with missing pieces/figs. Why is is so expensive? Is it just cause the front transparent?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I don't think I knew this thread existed as I don't really visit this forum much. Edge - what region are you in that you got this?

Edit: The fact that I posted here a few years go makes me a liar I guess.

Europe, Germany. The infinity gauntlet isn't Lego store exclusive btw., so you should be able to find it in other stores too if you're interested.

PalaceBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Europe, Germany. The infinity gauntlet isn't Lego store exclusive btw., so you should be able to find it in other stores too if you're interested.

Thanks. It must be one of the sets destined to hit Canada in August, then. I have pretty much every Marvel set, but have avoided the helmets up until now. Definitely want the gauntlet though.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Preordered the new Bowser's airship, and am pretty excited about it. I've been mixed on the Mario stuff for my grown-up tastes, pretty much only getting Mario and the enemy blind bags, but it seems like a pretty cool display piece!

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I'm thinking I need the Ninjago Hydro Bounty. I like the interior space it has.

Preordered the new Bowser's airship, and am pretty excited about it. I've been mixed on the Mario stuff for my grown-up tastes, pretty much only getting Mario and the enemy blind bags, but it seems like a pretty cool display piece!

Didn't hear about that but that looks pretty cool, especially with it sliding out.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey All... Was just alerted to this OT and wanted to pop in and post my latest Lego Build...

Yj5xKO5.jpg

IGgbDpa.jpg

Super quick build that I have since moved to my home office...

Also, I put together the cherry blossom leaves and branches and I never want to see another pink lego frog...ever!

Jul 26, 2018
I've recently just finished my Manchester United Old Trafford Stadium and it looks so awesome! Ngl... the $300 price tag kinda got me "ehhhhhhhhh". But I was visiting the Lego store for the 1st time on my bday last Wednesday. Took over an hour to get there, and decided just to yolo it and go big. No regerts....

20210623_205843.jpg

20210623_205836.jpg

20210623_205806.jpg

Jul 26, 2018
Hey All... Was just alerted to this OT and wanted to pop in and post my latest Lego Build...

Yj5xKO5.jpg

IGgbDpa.jpg

Super quick build that I have since moved to my home office...

Also, I put together the cherry blossom leaves and branches and I never want to see another pink lego frog...ever!
That looks so nice! My sister also got this last Wednesday in our Lego store visit. She still hasn't started yet... lolz

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Just bought a few sets after years of fawning over Legos.

I went big with barracuda pirates, Chinese new year and everyone is awesome.

We finished the pirates in like 9 days with my 5 and 4 yo kids, building slowly, little by little everyday.

I'm keeping the Chinese new year for later but i got it mainly for my daughter who's half Chinese, i kinda want to wait the right time for it.

And I'm more or less on the same boat with everyone is awesome, i want to keep it for an empathy educational moment with my kids once they get a little older.

That was expensive but no regrets!

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how big the crossover between R-Type and Lego fans are, but nearly two months after the release of R-Type Final 2 I think I've finished my model/tribute/pet project. And seeing as how it has been almost two months, I should probably stop bumping that thread for pictures of Lego.

This is my first MOC in probably...10 or more years. I build multiple sets a year, but it's been ages since I felt inspired to do anything original. It was also my first time using Studio to design a model, so there was a lot of learning there. This build only exists as renders right now, but I have several Bricklink orders in already and it was designed to be built for real. So, hopefully it works the way I think it will.

Anyways, here's a couple renders I did (excuse the lower rez, Eurobricks is pretty strict about their imbeds) of my rendition of my favorite ship from R-Type Final/Final 2, the R-9W Wise Man. There's also an album on flickr that I'll be using to post build stuff once parts come in.

Z38K2jj.png

h6WSdjE.png

And for some context/reference

SVyv9uc.png

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances we'll see a UCS BTTF Delorean set released this year? I'm not a big Lego Youtuber, but a few of the more widely known Lego vloggers out there have said that there is a good chance we'll see it in Sept… I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Also, anyone out there think we'll see a Lego SNES set anytime soon?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Never been into LEGO as I never had the space. Now.... I do :)

keeping my eyes open for a mid-to-large set to pick up first. Currently considering:

Lego Modular Buildings (Assembly Square is my frontrunner)
Bonsai Tree
Pirates of Barracuda Bay
Tree House
Mos Eisley Cantina
Ninjago City Gardens

Any suggestions for others I should consider? Tips for buying?

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017

keeping my eyes open for a mid-to-large set to pick up first. Currently considering:

Bonsai Tree
Pirates of Barracuda Bay
Tree House
Mos Eisley Cantina
Ninjago City Gardens

If Assembly Square hasn't already been discontinued, it's about to be so get that first. Barracuda Bay and Tree House are probably retiring this year too.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Bonsai Tree
Pirates of Barracuda Bay
Tree House
Mos Eisley Cantina
Ninjago City Gardens

Barracuda bay is freaking amazing and i can't recommend it enough

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone that has built it, how tedious is the grand piano? Saw one in person at a Lego store and it looks way more amazing then I would have thought, but worried that it is just making the same piece over and over for a bunch of it.

Nov 23, 2017

Bonsai Tree
Pirates of Barracuda Bay
Tree House
Mos Eisley Cantina
Ninjago City Gardens

First off, are you into Ninjago or Star Wars? I'm not denying they are fun builds, but it's hard not to get swept up into the whole collection.

I would personally go with a Creator Expert set. Some do have additional sets, but they mostly sit on their own. If you want a big set, I don't think you can go much bigger than the rollercoaster. I love it. It's massive in size and awesome to watch it run. Plus the cats get a massive kick out of it too.
The tree house was really fun too. I love tree building with legos and I went creative with the leaves to create a more colorful canopy. It's cute with a camper set underneath. There's currently two different campers (city, 3 in 1 creator) that run about $30.
The pirate ship looks awesome, but I never did get that.
The bonsai tree, medieval castle, and Winnie the Pooh are all cute builds. It won't take you days, but at least they're much easier to find a home for.
If you do want to start a running set, there's the NASA sets, Discovery, ISS, and Lunar Lander.
I've stayed away from the Modular builds because that theme has been running for so long now, it's hard not to get swept up into wanting older sets. It's bad enough with the Disney Princess sets for me.

Sometimes you just have to stand in the middle of the Lego store and see what tickles your fancy. I picked up the Grand Piano on a whim on a trip to the store, and I absolutely loved the build. Another time, they were actually letting customers build the rollercoaster set for the store display. I got to work on a couple sections, and I just had to have it. Of course it took me like a year to finally get it.

Nov 23, 2017
To anyone that has built it, how tedious is the grand piano? Saw one in person at a Lego store and it looks way more amazing then I would have thought, but worried that it is just making the same piece over and over for a bunch of it.
The only repetition comes in building the keys. But you put the keys together in groups of 4-5 keys at a time. Plus it's at the end of the build. I spent a good amount of time ensuring all the hammers lined up and balanced properly. The rest of the build is so different. They way the body of the piano is made is so cool, and such a unique way of using lego pieces. I've done so many sets, and none have been designed this way. The most repetitive set I've ever built was the RollerCoaster. All the poles and cross beams are all the same. Plus it has pins running down the center of each pole that makes it a pain to get them all put together.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the build if you picked it up.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The only repetition comes in building the keys. But you put the keys together in groups of 4-5 keys at a time. Plus it's at the end of the build. I spent a good amount of time ensuring all the hammers lined up and balanced properly. The rest of the build is so different. They way the body of the piano is made is so cool, and such a unique way of using lego pieces. I've done so many sets, and none have been designed this way. The most repetitive set I've ever built was the RollerCoaster. All the poles and cross beams are all the same. Plus it has pins running down the center of each pole that makes it a pain to get them all put together.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the build if you picked it up.

Thanks for the info. You eased my one worry about it that I've run into with a few other larger sets.

It wasn't something I was even considering buying until I saw it on display. Thing is impressive.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Since I'm new to this OT, I thought I'd just post some of the sets I've built over the last year thanks in part to the pandemic.
085pGeW.jpg

rHEKIeP.jpg

(no rust stickers because I felt that it detracted from the overall set)

hZbMdqT.jpg

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
If Assembly Square hasn't already been discontinued, it's about to be so get that first. Barracuda Bay and Tree House are probably retiring this year too.
Barracuda bay is freaking amazing and i can't recommend it enough

I've stayed away from the Modular builds because that theme has been running for so long now, it's hard not to get swept up into wanting older sets. It's bad enough with the Disney Princess sets for me.

Thanks! As a completionist with most of my hobbies, I have to admit the ruthlessness the LEGO company seems to display with discontinuing sets is a little disconcerting, ha. I thought the modular city sets look super cool and I think I'd have enough space to (slowly) get them all (my wife would disagree I think), but then I saw that half of them are out-of-print and sell for $1000+ second-hand. 😩😖

I mean, I get it. Out with the old and in with the new - keep opening up manufacturing capacity for new SW Lego sets, encourage people o buy new sets for full price, etc. But it still feels like they could reprint discontinued sets from popular lines that are still ongoing to this day once every 3-4 years or so, even in limited numbers, just to help ease rising demand and help collectors. And help new folks, like me, onboard into the hobby.

Anyway thanks for the advice. The more I keep looking the list of sets I want to buy keeps growing - I just saw the new haunted house! So IDK. I supose I'll make a cost per brick spreadsheet or something and just make a call, pretty soon :)

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
They've only done a limited variety of reprints. One christmas set got a reprint, and the taj mahal. Star wars gets new iterations of everything periodically.

Nov 23, 2017
The Disney Train station fits nicely in there, but that doesn't include the train or tracks, of course that could be put on the next shelf down.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have to turn off Lego con - not sure I can handle 90 mins of this. If there are any interesting set announcements I guess someone will post here

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I think I have to turn off Lego con — not sure I can handle 90 mins of this. If there are any interesting set announcements I guess someone will post here.

This mysterious new Star Wars set was something that could easily be found online a month or so ago.

LEGO-SW-FI.jpg

Yep, the 'new set announcement' was disappointingly Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser … 😐

I somehow managed to get through about 20 minutes of this LEGO Con before I switched it off, mostly due the sheer amount of VIDIYO content that they are so desperately wanting to push, but will inevitably join Hidden Side as the new theme bomb/dud of the year.

The smaller Slave I looks pretty good though:

75312_Box1_v29.jpg

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually liking these smaller star wars ships (although I haven't actually built them yet :p). Just got the Imperial shuttle today for 25% off from toysrus, at that price I couldn't pass on it.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike Star Wars so I don't know why I just have no intrest at all in Star Wars lego. Think the only Star Wars set I've built was the Super Star Destroyer and I only had that because it was a gift. Just a little disappointed that so many big sets end up being more Star Wars.

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who lives near a Meijer (regional super target-like chain) may want to check our their Lego aisle. Mine had a ton of great clearances. I got Bowser's Castle for 30 dollars off, and the pirate ship 3 in 1 for 20 off. I'd say generally about 20% off, but a few where it's more.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Ninjago City Gardens and Blacksmith back in stock and ordered!

Edit: Does anyone have a Slave 1 20th Anniversary Edition for sale? I missed out on this set, but shoulda' picked it up for Zuckuss alone.

Last edited:

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Is that just brick link putting together what was necessary for some Ideas sets that weren't selected? I know I saw that seasonal calendar vignette build before.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that the orders for the Bricklink Designer programme opens up in 2 days:
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

I will probably try to pick up the Castle in the Forest
Thanks for the info!! That safe, particle accelerator, and castle in forest are mine!!! Also, a lot that aren't ready yet are super interesting. That bowling alley must come!

I really like that 50's diner and the bowling alley sets...

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I'm digging the boat (would look great next to the Fishing Shack), the Observatory, and the Forest Castle. I bought the Western Saloon a few years back that came out of the BL Designer program. It's a neat way to get sets made that don't pass Ideas muster.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
Im really not sure what to get, im eyeing the Blacksmith and Saturn V as my next builds so may get one of those? I only built a few sets so far and love Barracuda Bay and the Ninjago Gardens. Not really a fan of the modulars although I built the Police Station as my first one and it looks good. Any suggestions for some smaller sets to get for a beginner?(just got back into Lego in January) As Im not sure about spending a lot on a lego set I may not enjoy much.