• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 23, 2017
Well my box just arrived today. I ordered the Tree House and got the Charles Dickens' book and shoe with it. I really do want that World Map if they ever get it in.

I've been going through a couple of boxes of pieces that I got a while ago second hand. One box was full of original Legos from the 60's with some other older building block sets like Tente and Mega Blocks. Another box had a ziploc bag full of minifigures and accessories. Pretty much all of them broken apart. So I've spent some time putting arms and legs together. Of course I have left overs of one color and missing a ton of other colors. I was thinking of going over to the Bricks and Minifig store to see if I can complete them/sell them/trade them... or something. Not really a collector of random minifigs. I've got a handful of Disney minifigs left over that I want to see if I can trade for some of the series 1 characters.

Then I need to call Lego to see if I can get some replacement pieces on my Disney castle and carrousel that my cat has decided to turn into a chew toy. Every time I clear off a spot for my sets, my cats are like "ohh there's someplace new to explore..." and so the battle never ends. This house isn't big enough for all of us. They explore every inch and it becomes a fascination if we rearrange something. Like they have to have the final approval.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Sloooowly making my way through Assembly Square, about 30 minutes of building per night.

I only have Barracuda Bay to compare it to, as my only other experience with an adults-oriented "prestige" set. But so far I'm finding the modular building to be a lot more fiddly and more challenging to get through. I haven't been timing myself but my gut check is the build time will end up being much longer, which is either a pro or a con depending on your perspective, given how expensive the sets are. It's a good thing if you consider the build the reason to spend the money at all, obviously.

It does make really ingenious use of its space and manages to cram a LOT of detail into its three sets of buildings and even the alleyways and space in between. Some of the stuff is crammed in there really tightly, like the cups in the cafe/coffee shop practically rubbing right up against a window.

A little on the fence whether I'll try to go back and pick up more modulars. Barracuda Bay def. makes me smile more and is a lot stronger from a visual storytelling perspective, but it's also HUGE. As an adult getting into LEGO there just aren't really that many options for diorama-like sets with really big, meaty piece counts that don't take up an entire half of a room when they're finished being assembled. So the modular buildings, with their more compact final size, definitely appeal to that niche for me. When finished I actually have a good place to put it...

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
F57yKnt.jpg

r/lego_raffles is pretty great :D

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Kohl's is running a deal where you get $10 Kohl's Cash (which can be used on anything) for every $50 spent. You have to use the Kohl's Cash between Aug 2 - 15; I ordered a second Ninjago City Gardens (to save for my BrickLink store) and the new Moff Gideon Cruiser. Results in $90 in Kohl's Cash plus a little bit extra on top of their standard cashback, which I can use on another Lego item (before the 15th).

I'd check it out. They don't have everything, but they've got a nice mix of Technic, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. No Typewriter or Cantina at the moment, but I'll probably get a second Blacksmith for $40 and change.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
I told myself I would take a break after double vip points, but I really want that sailboat.. maybe a few of them. Ive been tinkering with different orders to maximize how many I can get.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
So what's everyone grabbing tonight and tomorrow?! I think I might do a grab bag of various new Mandalorian related sets and some Creator stuff to get one of the boats.

edit: and Seinfeld if it's in stock.

Plum

May 31, 2018
OK... I'm going to resist. I'd love to get the Typewriter + New Asgard + The Sailboat but I just can't deal with spending £200 out of the blue right now. It's not worth it at all when I've got so many more important things I need to spend my money on.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted a nice lego pirate ship so I bit the bullet and bought barracuda bay plus a brickhead for my wife to get the sailboat.

I fully intend to display it as a complete ship so I might rework the extra pieces to be a proper (tiny) island fort.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Should I make an order despite the sailboat not APPEARING in my cart?

edit: turns out sale items don't count?

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The world map was in stock, so now I have it, the sailboat and a VIP Keychain on the way.

That's Hogwarts castle, Ecto 1 and the World Map all in like 2 months. Gonna need a second job at this rate! Still bummed I missed out on the Charles Dickens gift, but the Adidas, skate boarder and sailboat are solid freebies.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Ended up getting the world map for one order and then the infinity gauntlet, pickup truck and yellow taxi for another order. Used up a chunk of my vip points to offset the cost, so it wasn't too bad. I wanna get more, but I know I should just wait. Then again, I'll probably get drunk tonight and place another order.

Nov 23, 2017
Woo hoo the World Map is back in stock. It's even in stock in store. I already bought Elsa's Ice Palace at the beginning of July. Just got the Tree House for double points and Dickens' set. But I still really really want the world map. And they finally released the Disney Princess sets that have been set to release every month since june. I have 16 sets on my wanted list. Of course, there are levels of importance too. I'm open for donations of a thousand dollars if anyone has a few loose bills laying around they'd like to share.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bit the bullet and paid an Ebay price for the UCS Y-Wing. But between the B-Wing raffle win and this it's almost like I paid MSRP for both, so it's fine. It's fiiiiine. Couldn't tell you why I didn't get it when it was in stores not even that long ago. It'll be worth it to have all the fighters together.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Picked up the Ferrari Corse and Everyone is Awesome set, since Honey was running an extra $20 cashback on the Ferrari. Put me just over the promo line. Until they run double points or another limited gift, I'll have to wait for more larger purchases.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Grabbed a couple skylines, creator pirate ship, and a couple looney tunes figures. Oops. The sailboat sure worked on me

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Heads up, you can use 1500 VIP points for an Amelia Earhart set on the member rewards section. Amounts to something like $12.

edit: and preordering for the boat, bird, safe, and biplane sets on BrickLink reopens again tomorrow. They've upped the production numbers I think.

Last edited:

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Preordered the great fishing boat. I'm happy they opened it up for more orders since I missed it the first time. I still want that damn castle though.

Pokalapoketl

Dec 4, 2018
So these are custom built sets, but not officially released by Lego?? Just packaged and shipped by Lego? So weird and confusing. Has anyone got a set like this before, and how is the packaging/box like?

That's pretty much the gist of it, I believe. This is the first time they've done it and the people who ordered these sets in the first go around are scheduled to receive their sets in january 2022, so no idea about the packaging. Instructions will be digital, though.

They had an AFOL Designer Program in 2019 with sets in custom packaging and instructions, but that was a bit different: https://brickset.com/article/43982/afol-designer-program-packaging

Oct 27, 2017
So these are custom built sets, but not officially released by Lego?? Just packaged and shipped by Lego? So weird and confusing. Has anyone got a set like this before, and how is the packaging/box like?

This year these are all sets that previously didn't make it in Lego's Ideas program of fan-designed builds. So it's all fully official Lego, it just won't be part of their regular retail releases.
I have a set from the previous round in 2019. Back then Bricklink wasn't part of the Lego Group itself yet, but there was collaboration on a high level. The box, packaging and manual all were excellent.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
I have a set from the previous round in 2019. Back then Bricklink wasn't part of the Lego Group itself yet, but there was collaboration on a high level. The box, packaging and manual all were excellent.

Which one did you grab? I've got the saloon in storage. Not sure if I want to build it, since it's sorta bland without mini figs.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to patiently wait for LEGO to decide to ship my Sunday order.

Same. Just got the warehouse email stating it should be shipping soon.

Does anyone have any experience with mega construx? I decided to pick up Castle Grauskull as I used to have the original as a kid and I thought it looked great.

Also, Lego unveiled is Hogwarts Icons Collectors Edition Set, which looks like a really cool build.

lego-harry-potter-76348js5.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
Same. Just got the warehouse email stating it should be shipping soon.

Does anyone have any experience with mega construx? I decided to pick up Castle Grauskull as I used to have the original as a kid and I thought it looked great.

Also, Lego unveiled is Hogwarts Icons Collectors Edition Set, which looks like a really cool build.

lego-harry-potter-76348js5.jpg
Ooooohhhh… that's a beauty. I need to have it. I don't have the castle sets, but I got Hedwig and Fawkes and I have the monster book of monsters. Still on the fence about the book sets.

My friend is into Star Trek and not a Star Wars fan, and he has a few of the bigger sets. He really enjoyed building them and they are just as detailed. Plus it's retained its value like Lego.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooohhhh… that's a beauty. I need to have it. I don't have the castle sets, but I got Hedwig and Fawkes and I have the monster book of monsters. Still on the fence about the book sets.

My friend is into Star Trek and not a Star Wars fan, and he has a few of the bigger sets. He really enjoyed building them and they are just as detailed. Plus it's retained its value like Lego.

Bought the castle for my wife who has been talking about it forever back in July. That coupled with our watching of Lego Masters and I feel like I'm already off the deep end, lol! I didn't know they made a monster book, going to have to google that one! I feel like every time I start looking at the sets, I can easily find a $200 plus set that I feel like I need.

Oct 27, 2017
Man that Hedwig set is gorgeous. I'm not into Harry Potter sets, but I have a thing for Lego birds. So I'm gonna grab this one..

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Harry Potter set is really neat, if I was into HP at all I'd probably get it. How about that kind of thing for... a Jedi at the academy! A lightsaber to construct. Crystals. Holocrons? Whatever else you want to throw in. The sacred Jedi texts =P

Built the UCS Y-Wing today and I now have the X, Y, A, B UCS all built. UCS TIE fighter and an interceptor MOC too. Very pleasing fleet.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
star wars version might be.... an R2 model with the leia projection built in and a lightsaber piled on the side? the full star wars invitaiton-to-have-an-adventure in one model.

Nov 23, 2017
Bought the castle for my wife who has been talking about it forever back in July. That coupled with our watching of Lego Masters and I feel like I'm already off the deep end, lol! I didn't know they made a monster book, going to have to google that one! I feel like every time I start looking at the sets, I can easily find a $200 plus set that I feel like I need.

I helped a friend build the castle back when it first came out. It was a cool build, and it was fun discovering all the scenes. I really love the great hall.

The book was a gift with purchase set. It came out around the same time as the book scene collection. I bought the Lego Art Harry Potter to get it.
From time to time I've seen GWP sets on Barnes and Noble site.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
my son brought all the lego boxes down from his room (we've been using it for storage and he isn't into it anymore). Damn there is a lot to sort out. A few sets to break down, parts to sort out, probably quite a few older sets/spares to sell/donate (lots of base plates for our town building phase etc). going to take ages, and a long hard think about how I want to organise things to not use up so much space (would prefer to use that space for display)

Speaking of display, anyone seen those plexiglass covers designed to go over IKEA Kallax shelving units? Tempted to try some of those although the boxes are quite small, or go the normal route of Detolf or Billy+glass doors

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the typewriter. Such an interesting build and beautiful display set, with surprisingly decent mechanisms too

Nov 23, 2017
my son brought all the lego boxes down from his room (we've been using it for storage and he isn't into it anymore). Damn there is a lot to sort out. A few sets to break down, parts to sort out, probably quite a few older sets/spares to sell/donate (lots of base plates for our town building phase etc). going to take ages, and a long hard think about how I want to organise things to not use up so much space (would prefer to use that space for display)

Speaking of display, anyone seen those plexiglass covers designed to go over IKEA Kallax shelving units? Tempted to try some of those although the boxes are quite small, or go the normal route of Detolf or Billy+glass doors

It really depends on the size of the sets. 13" is pretty small compared to most of Lego's $200+ sets. I would start with listing your sets and looking up the dimensions of it online.

I have a bunch of the Eket cubes for books and those are too small for most of my big sets to even sit on top. Now the Trofast is pretty good for storage of boxes and pieces. There are even lids for the tubs. I prefer keeping the manual out of the box because you never know how it's going bend or fold over in the box. And smaller box sets can easily be stored in it or on top. You have multiple options, deep tubs, shallow tubs, mini tubs (2 can slide in side by side) or shelves.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I recently dismantled the Bugatti, one of the hardest things I've ever done!

technics is a bitch to dissasemble. You can follow instructions in reverse but often I'll just tear at the set and that can work for basic lego but technics is often tied up in knots so difficult to do.

Have a ton of that to do in my reorganisation - breaking down part complete sets, finding the pieces needed to complete the inventory before they can be 'filed'. Not looking forward to it and neither are my fingernails.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Ikea and Lego, any thoughts on Lack shelves and modulars? Seeing mixed impressions. Some seem to have had success with them, while others seem to have issues with the internal bars not being able to support the weight so the end up sagging.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Started the lego bonsai tree today and finding it very pleasurable to put together. I'm new to lego as an adult and thought I only wanted big, epic sets and things like the modulers but this bonsai tree has my rethinking that. Maybe I want more clean-looking ~800 pc sets after all...