• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
*MILD SPOILERS FOR ALL THREE ROCKSTEADY GAMES* (I avoid specific plot/character points though)

So having never played any of these games before and knowing little about them other than they were highly acclaimed, I saw Asylum GOTY on sale for $5 and decided to give it a shot. Arkham City GOTY also happened to be on sale for $5, and then Arkham Knight Premium Edition was $11. So once I realised I was really enjoying Asylum, I picked both of those up too, and just today finished playing through all three games back to back on PC (yes, I know the non-Rocksteady Arkham Origins exists, but it seems like more of a spin off, and apparently the weakest of the bunch, so I skipped it). Seriously, some of the best value gaming I've had. Please note, that I am a very casual Batman fan. I've never read any of the comics, just seen the movies and that's about it. Having said that, here are my thoughts on the games:

BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM (~12.5 hrs total playtime)
shippingpc-bmgame-2015-03-29-20-44-13-63.png

I completely understand why this was considered easily the best superhero game ever made at the time. Those types of games always had a bad rep, and for the most part deservedly so, as cheap cash grabs. Arkham Asylum is a legit great game on it's own. The combat is fluid and satisfying. The atmosphere of the Asylum is fantastic. The voice work is perfect (Mark Hamill being one of the consistently best things about the series the whole way through). The graphics are great for how old it is and have aged very well imo. In fact, the whole game holds up very well.

1150828-shippingpc_bmgame_2009_09_28_12_10_01_45.jpg

The game is mostly very linear. This suits the game well, almost feeling like a guided tour through a theme park haunted house or something. It's very focused as a result of this, with only the riddler trophies as a type of side quest. Speaking of which, I didn't care for them very much in this game. I didn't have much reason to collect them, so I mostly just ignored them. This game also feels most Comic Book-like to me, not taking itself quite as serious as later entries, plus the whole UI being very comic book inspired (which I loved). Also, the Scarecrow sections are really awesome.

For how much I enjoyed this game though, it feels like a practice run compared to what followed...

BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY (~17 hrs total playtime)
bac-city.jpg

This takes everything great from Arkham Asylum, and builds on it massively. It turns the game into an open world setting, expands the scope of the story, adds in quite a bit more content than the first game, and overall just feels like a much more ambitious, polished game. The combat and gameplay are taken from Asylum, but expanded and refined. Almost all the gadgets from the first game are available straight away, with quite a lot more being added on top throughout the game. Being an open world game, side quests have been added, which is a nice thing to have, but I have to say that most of them weren't the most compelling to me. They were nice to have as a break from the main story every now and then, but they were pretty basic and I only ended up completing like 60% of them.

The story, while more involved than Asylum, and presented in a much more ambitious way, didn't quite satisfy me fully. There were a few key character moments that were great (like the very end), but overall the whole main quest felt like a bit of a wild goose chase, with a carrot being yanked from your reach at each step of the way. The characters, gameplay and settings through the journey were strong enough to not make me really care while playing, but looking back at the story as a whole, it was a little so-so.

Boss fights were greatly improved in this game, feeling much more unique and substantial. Traversal is also a lot better (almost by neccesity), with grappling and gliding around Arkham City being a lot of fun and giving a lot of freedom. Playing as catwoman every now and then was a nice change of pace too, and was just short enough to not overstay its welcome. The riddler quest felt a bit more interesting this time, as there seemed to be more interaction with riddler, and more variety in the challenges. I still didn't go out of my way very much to get them though.

Overall, a fantastic follow up. An even more complete game, and an even better 'Batman simulator', with the extra gadgets, expanded scope/world, and gliding around city streets. Really ratcheting everything up from the first game, and setting the bar even higher again for superhero games.

BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT (~35 hrs total playtime)
batman-arkham-knight-poster.jpg

This game seems very controversial, receiving mixed reactions compared to Asylum and City (although looking at Metacritic, still very well received critically overall). The most common complaints seemed to be the story, the batmobile, and the awful PC port. Due to all this, I wasn't sure what to expect going into it. Thankfully, the PC version was much improved after release, as I didn't have issues personally. As for the rest of it?

This was absolutely, hands down my favourite game of them all. I reallly felt that the series improved with each game, with each one being a big leap up from the previous. Arkham Knight, yet again, takes everything the previous game did and ratchets it up even more. I know it's the most cliche thing to say about this franchise, but it felt even moreso like 'being the batman'. It felt like playing through a Nolan Batman film in video game form. By far the most cinematic in the series, this game is even more ambitious than City.

ArkhamKnight_1.jpg

As far as specifics go, the voice acting is still top notch like the previous games. The music is still fantastic and atmospheric. The graphics are downright gorgeous even today, 6 years later (this is the game in the series that my wife would see when walking past and say "wow that looks amazing. Like a movie". The gameplay is the best in the franchise, having added and refined even further on Arkham City. Gliding is improved even further, to the point that Batman can basically fly (with upgrades). Occasional combat scenarios with side-kicks are cool, adding more variety. I also found the side quests much more interesting in this game. You could say that's just because I was enjoying the whole experience so much that any more content is welcome, but I also do feel like they were integrated into the game and story better this time with the whole Most Wanted concept, and having villians and their goons slowly fill up the GCPD lockup as you complete the quests, adding some interesting and often amusing conversations. And even the circular UI quest system was easier for me to use and keep track of things than previously. The riddler quest was also much more interesting to me in this game, as there's a lot more story and unique missions involved in it. However it ended up being the only quest I didn't 100%, just due to the sheer amount of trophies needed.

batman-arkham-knight-ps4-15.jpg

Then of course there's the batmobile. 95% of the time, I loved it. I thought it added to the experience, being a much more complete "Batman experience" because of it. Cruising around Gotham City, boosting down the street with that visceral noise it makes, and then super ejecting out into a glide onto a rooftop - awesome feeling. Even the tank sections, I really enjoyed. It was fairly simple, but enjoyable, and definitely felt pretty badass. I know many felt it was incredibly un-batman-like, and I get that, but being a casual fan it didn't bother me in the slightest. The only issues I had with the batmobile were 1) Tank boss battles weren't that great and occured multiple times, when regular boss battles were already lacking in this game, and 2) the handling in some of the riddler races was very confusing (until I figured out that it's just best not to boost in those races unless it's a clear straight section). Overall, I only had minor issues with it and it added to the game for me.

The story - again, me being a very casual batman fan has a big effect on how I view it. I know there was controversy over the Arkham Knight character, but not knowing the background at all, it didn't bother me. I also didn't see the twists that many batman fans saw coming a mile away. While the story isn't perfect, and has a few plot holes if you think about it, I still enjoyed the story more than the previous games, because it was more in depth, and presented in a much more cinematic way. There was more depth, more twists, and more immersion than Asylum or City. Also, John Noble - what a legend. Adding to the already great voice cast, is Walter Bishop himself! The character wasn't exactly the most fleshed out, but Noble's voice work elevates it so much.

FINAL THOUGHTS

What a great experience for ~$20! These games are highly regarded for a very good reason. For me, it's Arkham Knight > Arkham City > Arkham Asylum, with Rocksteady improving with each game. I'm unsure how well the upcoming Gotham Knights game from WB Montreal will compare to these games, and Suicide Squad, Rocksteady's next project, doesn't appeal to me in the same way as Batman does. But I do hope we get Batman games as great as these in the future.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I still need to fully play through Arkham Knight but I will say, I agree with you on both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Speaking of which, Arkham City is my favorite but ironically, when I think about why I love that game so much, the story is one of the last things that come to mind. I spend more time enjoying the upgraded combat, flying around Arkham City, listening to thugs talk about Joker or Harley Quinn, key moments with most of the Batman villains, some boss fights or side quests and then I think about the overall story. Arkham City's story isn't nearly as strong as Arkham Asylums (which is also because of the fact that Arkham Asylum's story and game is way more contained) and by time you're getting towards the end of the game, you're like "oh right Protocol Ten is a thing that I need to stop from happening" because you're so busy running and attempting to get that antidote. It also doesn't necessarily feel like the game's story actually takes place over the course of 10ish hours like they say, that's only really buyable since you know it's a comic book video game lmao. Regardless, I still absolutely adore the hell of that game just like I adore Arkham Asylum.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome, these are fantastic games for sure. It's telling how EVERYTHING was just stealing 'batman combat' for years (and sort of still do, AC and whatnot do for sure). It's incredibly satisfying and they did a great job of increasing the complexity and options in the sequels in that regard.

I'm with you that Knight is highly underrated, the batmobile has too many repetetive tank bits with the side quests, but in a vacuum they're not unfun, and racing around the city in it as well as the actual races were both quite good, it's just when you're getting chased through the streets repeatedly by tanks or doing the mine defusing or whatever that it gets a bit boring. Otherwise, Knight was 100% the best of the three, and I played it on PC right after they started fixing it, so it worked ok as long as you really overpowered it.

EDIT: Also don't forget that City had the Mr Freeze fight, the best boss in the series. I will say some of the takedown areas whatever they're called in knight felt like extensions of that boss fight, and were VERY good.

OP
OP
Villa

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome, these are fantastic games for sure. It's telling how EVERYTHING was just stealing 'batman combat' for years (and sort of still do, AC and whatnot do for sure). It's incredibly satisfying and they did a great job of increasing the complexity and options in the sequels in that regard.

I'm with you that Knight is highly underrated, the batmobile has too many repetetive tank bits with the side quests, but in a vacuum they're not unfun, and racing around the city in it as well as the actual races were both quite good, it's just when you're getting chased through the streets repeatedly by tanks or doing the mine defusing or whatever that it gets a bit boring. Otherwise, Knight was 100% the best of the three, and I played it on PC right after they started fixing it, so it worked ok as long as you really overpowered it.

EDIT: Also don't forget that City had the Mr Freeze fight, the best boss in the series. I will say some of the takedown areas whatever they're called in knight felt like extensions of that boss fight, and were VERY good.
Yeah that Mr Freeze fight was great. Pushes you to get creative. I do wish Arkham Knight had more of that.

I know what you mean with the tank fights. In my playthrough I paced them out pretty evenly, and I enjoyed the base gameplay of them, so that helped. But yeah, the tank boss fights got a bit much, since they really drag on compared to the relatively quick mine disarming missions, and there's like 3 of them, all of which are in the second half of the game.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This is true. I vastly preferred the more closed and tighter experience of Asylum vs. the semi-open world of City.
Yeah as an experience, Asylum is the much better game because it has one goal: to get you to navigate throughout all of Arkham Asylum so you can reach the endgame with some collectibles here and there. Sure there's thugs lying around and doing whatever they're doing but beating them up doesn't take away your focus from the story like roaming Arkham City does. All of that annoying thug dialogue that plays while you're flying around, side quests, collectible and going to X location while following a tracker that helps point you in said direction makes the story take a major backseat (whether it's intentional or not). In fact, with the story becoming a wild goose chase for an antidote that goes way deeper than it needed to in my opinion, it distracts you even further from the whole Protocol Ten thing lmao

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
Totally agree with what you wrote. Arkham Knight is incredible.
And I know many here will disagree, but Arkham Origins is a bad reskin of Arkham City and not worth your time (it does have a decent story but that is all it has going for it).

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
Not getting all trophies in Asylum is a shame. It's easy to do with maps and audio tapes rewards are nice.

Asylum and City are GOATs. Knight sucks, the Batmobile is absolutely awful and it's constantly being forced to use.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly consider Arkham Asylum to be one of the best games of the past 20 years. It is all killer no filler, with a couple of rough boss battles.

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I love Arkham Asylum. Never got into the other games because they weren't as well paced as the original but I need to go back and play them.

I honestly consider Arkham Asylum to be one of the best games of the past 20 years. It is all miller no filler, with a couple of rough boss battles.

yeah I agreed I think it's phenomenal. Now I want to go back and replay it

OP
OP
Villa

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I totally get Asylum being the favourite. It's tight, focused design and structure give it different strengths to the other more open-world style games.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I totally get Asylum being the favourite. It's tight, focused design and structure give it different strengths to the other more open-world style games.
Great write-ups. I would say though that getting the riddler trophies in Arkham Knight are worth it though just to finally take down Riddler and unlock the real ending.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, my playthrough went like this: Arkham City > Arkham Origins > Arkham Knight > Arkham Asylum. I think this led me to appreciated Asylum a little more. Perhaps playing three open world Batman games burnt me out a little bit by that point, that it was nice to have some brevity. While the others all enhance the original experience in their own way, I think Asylum was a nice concentration of what makes the entire series so great. Which makes sense, since it was the starting point. I don't want to sound contrarian, but Origins was definitely my favorite of the open world titles, then Knight, then City. Origins was just a lot of fun, really quirky, and I think, the best art-style of the series. I also just enjoyed the map a ton overall in that game. Knight is just barely over City for me because the good bits of that game were just really solid, though I do feel like by Knight, the games started taking theirselves way too seriously at points. The stakes were so ridiculously over the top that I just really couldn't bring myself to care about what was going on. But the character interactions were pretty solid a lot of the time, and the game definitely had a lot of heart. City is nice and all, and not a bad game. But Idk, I wish the series had streamlined itself more, rather than trying to be super expansive. I had a lot more fun with Asylum, where it was mostly a straight shot to the end, with diversions along the way. My biggest gripes with the later game is that I felt obligated to grind in some ways, in a series that's best when its not trying to be an action RPG, but more of a beat 'em up. Idk. They're all solid games at the end of the day, though. I don't think any of them are less than a 7/10. As a Batman fan since youth, I'm just glad the series has some solid games available. Also, ngl, these games burnt me out on the open world superhero formula, and I think its because of them that I can't really get excited for the Spiderman Insomniac games. Lol.

EDIT: Oh also, I watched Escape from New York recently, mainly due to MGS, but I love that City somewhat riffs the plot from that movie. Lol. I didn't like the film a lot (despite generally liking Carpenter's output), but I think the games its inspired over the years helps me appreciate it a little more than I would've otherwise.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I agree Knight gives you the most Batman for the lowest price and is still fantastic to play 6 years later. PC version runs pretty well nowadays, too.

Arkham Origins is just a reskinned City and is one of the most derivative games I've ever played, just throwing that out there.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are still the best videogames that are based on comics out there. Nothing comes close to it, they're just masterpieces. Knight and Origins are also very good but don't reach the heights of the first two games. I wish I could turn back time and play them again for the very first time.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Loved Asylum, but after playing City/Knight it's such a.. small game.

Origins was imo just okay. Knight and City are the best of the bunch, the batmobile was so fun and as you said, is in those 2 games where you actually properly feel like the Batman.

Oct 31, 2017
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are still the best videogames that are based on comics out there. Nothing comes close to it, they're just masterpieces. Knight and Origins are also very good but don't reach the heights of the first two games. I wish I could turn back time and play them again for the very first time.
I kept hearing on the internet that "Spider-man did everything the Arkham series did before but way better".
It turned out to be completely false as far as I'm concerned.

I still think every single title in the Arkham trilogy has a clear edge over it in terms of overall design.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
I kept hearing on the internet that "Spider-man did everything the Arkham series did before but way better".
It turned out to be completely false as far as I'm concerned.

I still think every single title in the Arkham trilogy has a clear edge over it in terms of overall design.

It all starts for me with the atmosphere that makes it such an incredible experience. And it's just marvelous how they integrated those villains within the storyline and how they implemented that feeling of progression with all of the upgrades. And then theres the gameplay itself which STILL plays fresh and makes a lot of fun. It's just well crafted and celebrates the Batman myth in every possible way. Spiderman might be a good game but Batman is still king in videogames.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Out of the series, I've only played Arkham Asylum and Arkham Origins, and my complaints are pretty much the same for both of them. The outright combat is not very good. The way Batman slides across the screen to land hits on nearby enemies looks ridiculous and it's not very satisfying to just wait for the button prompt to appear to counter so that you can actually get through the mobs. I know you can turn this off in Origins, at least, but then you have to work with animations that don't have much lead in and if you have them off for the Deathstroke boss fight, it feels basically impossible. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong and then when I finally turned the prompts back on, I realize that no, there's no tells, you just have to memorize it.

I think the stealth aspects are much, much stronger and I wish they had just expanded the game to really focus almost exclusively on that for enemy encounters. Dropping down from the ceiling or popping up from grates in the floor to knock guys out one by one is extremely satisfying. You do really have to suspend your disbelief to accept that all these buildings have the nonsensical architecture to support the stealth, but that's not all that difficult to given how over the top the Arkham games are.

The Metroidvania aspects of Arkham Asylum, especially, are also pretty good. Getting new abilities that allow you to solve puzzles or explore more of the environments is usually a pretty solid way to construct your game world and it's done well enough.

I do hope one of these days we get a more subtle Batman game that doesn't use the Frank Miller/Tim Sale style characters (I find the huge musclebound version of Batman pretty grotesque), and one that really uses lighting to great effect so they can go all in on the stealth and detective aspects of the character rather than just the flat out action. Given the time of Asylum's original release, though, it was a huge leap forward for licensed super hero games.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree with what you wrote. Arkham Knight is incredible.
And I know many here will disagree, but Arkham Origins is a bad reskin of Arkham City and not worth your time (it does have a decent story but that is all it has going for it).
I 100% agree with this, and this forum seems to have a strange over representation of people who like that game, because I feel like this was the sentiment when it came out. I also think it helped create the "Batman fatigue" that partially hurt the reception of Knight. OP, the way you played these games is the way to go and don't let anyone tell you differently. And personally, if the tank stuff had been less present in Knight and the game was shorter, I think it would've been received much better. The story of the Arkham Knight character also hurt its rep quite a bit, I think, but overall I remember really enjoying the scope and sheer production value behind the world.