• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 7, 2021
Is this streaming anywhere. I'm not going into a movie theater with people possibly carrying the delta variant. But I do want to watch this.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Ain't going near a movie theater to watch this, but the it looks interesting and the reviews seem good enough.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
apparently there is a twist. the two kids (not the pregnant blonde but the red head and the guy from the other scary movie) survive by remembering how the owner said something about coral. they find it, swim under it, and are transported off the island. Sounds incredibly lame.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The first review I saw was this:

Apparently, the trailer for this movie reveals A LOT of stuff. A bit too much according to this video. So watch the trailer only if you're ok with this.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
apparently there is a twist. the two kids (not the pregnant blonde but the red head and the guy from the other scary movie) survive by remembering how the owner said something about coral. they find it, swim under it, and are transported off the island. Sounds incredibly lame.
It isn't a twist, it just the end of the movie. I actually liked the ending. But in the end it is just an okay movie with some bad CGI.

I've read the comic and I can only think of one aspect that could make people uncomfortable. It wasn't a big deal for me especially with the story being told.

Spoiler tag it for me? I can forsee one part be a little iffy but they handled it with taste?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That describes Glass as well tbh. I have no doubt that M.Knight knows how to play with form. Just hope it's not a detriment to the performances overall story.

I liked glass, ending was a little bit dumb. But overall I enjoyed the trilogy of those movies. Kind of stinks that I breakable and split were just that damn good and glass kind of whimpers. But it was still really enjoyable. Guess that means I'll enjoy this

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That wasn't the twist.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
they all die in the novel, no explanation of the island from what i've heard
ah, so there isn't the secret medical clinic, just "we grow old here and die?" If that is the case, I like them adding not a reason for the beach to be there but a reason for people to be brought there.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Fwiw the original comic was going to have a different ending, but the author changed it because
if a character escaped/survived then there would have to be an explanation for what was happening and why it was happening. The author instead changed it to an ending where everyone just dies
. Based upon the comments above I wonder if the film's ending is closer to the original planned ending or is something Shyamalan/his writers came up with.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from this. I've only seen the unbreakable trilogy, so I didn't know what to expect. This was decent. Tons of cringey moments, but they all tried. This is a good amc a list or Netflix flick. There was a line in the movie that had all the black people dying. It was a great moment.

I'm back from it. I thought it was pretty good!

There's a nice bit of Junji Ito lite body horror in there.

The calcium lady's bone problem in the cave was hilarious.

May 24, 2019
Tons of cringey moments

What were those for you? I didnt really have a problem with anything except that rapper's name. That was stupid.

Edit: and the pharmaceutical explanation being a bit too spelled out.

as for the ending I was half expecting the helicopter pilot to black out and them to crash back onto the beach.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This might his weirdest movie. It's definitely full on Night and more comparable to the Village, kinda? It's shot incredibly well and even the shots keep you off kilter. It's filmed a bit like Servant and sound design is incredible. I'll put it this way, if you have a problem his style, dialogue, and tone you aren't going to like this, because he cranks it up here. 😂

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't enjoy it at all but the two friends I went with had a good time. I was insanely bored. It does that thing where it has to explain every single thing to convince you that it makes sense. I hate that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Gizmodo's review loved it. But they don't have a score it. Anything for GG Bernal. The core premise sounds really interesting

Servant has been really good so I know MNight can still be good

May 24, 2019
Just bought and read the original Sandcastle comic and I prefer the movie.
The translation to English seemed a bit clunky, and I just got a lot more humanity from Bernal and Krieps at least.
Also the film had 100% less child nudity.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
The Guardian gave it five stars and film of the week.

I'm down, will watch it this weekend.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Sounds like most of his movies.

Interesting concept and ideas, but he just isn't good enough to pull it off.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It a lot of the expected Shyamalan-isms (clunky dialogue, an over-extended ending), but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gets way more fucked up than I was expecting and kept me intrigued all the way to the finish line.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any way you can watch this via streaming, or is it in theaters only?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of The Visit, and liked Split a lot. Hope its closer to those in quality than Glass was.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's very bad. I liked it a lot.

Everyone in the theatre (which admittedly wasn't very full) was laughing throughout.

Go in blind! You will 100% have a good time

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of The Visit, and liked Split a lot. Hope its closer to those in quality than Glass was.

I loved Glass and this is more Village with a dash of The Happening, Twilight Zone, and mixed in with a 60-70's thriller vibe? It's really it's own unique feel and he goes hog wild on camera techniques that actually are pretty damn effective!

I would LOVE a B&W version if this.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
First half is pretty good, even if it is a bit too no budget.

Second half just completely shits the bed and is too dumb.

I honestly have no idea if this guy is a good film maker. So much of this movie is just bad. But it does have cool concept and some cool bits, but god damn is it rough.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Just going by the TV commercials it looked like it was The Happening levels of bad, so while currently sitting at 53% on RT is better than I thought, it's still not good.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night. Sure was.... interesting. Some good ideas, creepy moments and genuinely funny stuff in between scenes of bizarre acting choices and terrible dialogue. Not entirely sure what to think of it. I think it's good if you don't take it too seriously.