• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I have recently picked up Batman Arkham Collection on PS4(it was 12 dollars and I got a recommendation I got from a friend). Holy shit, why isn't this game heralded as a classic from the era, in the likes of Last of Us, Infamous, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Red Dead Redemption. In fact, I would argue that Arkham Asylum is a huge cut above all of those games.

The best retro games, make use of the best of the hardware, the design decisions of the time, and contextualizes it to make something of it's own. And boy, the things that this game contextualizes is absolutely outstanding. It takes every archaic, nonsensical technical limitations, and design choices and it truly elevates these to an inane degree.

The muddle browns, and muted color pallets really were awful back on those systems. But for a Batman game? It's absolutely perfect for the old time gothic artstyle. The only thing that has aged through the time, is the faces and facial animations of the characters. But the graphical presentation, of this old, musty 2009 game, is actually perfect, since it really presents an old, musty, derelict prison/hospital.

I really have to admit that the developers had real balls to tell a unique batman story. Especially among the lines of the biggest movie of the time, The Dark Knight, released just a few months prior. The fact that they have these amazingly faithful characterizations, it really pulls the story together. There are so many little nips and tucks, like unique death animations when you die, depending on which of the villain's you die. Now, it does go a little bit overboard with the interview tapes, but like I said, context is important. It really makes sense to hear doctors work on these villain's, and it really makes sense in the context of the story, unlike so many other games. Interviews, and therapy sessions are a part of hospitals. So yeah! It would totally make sense that there are interview tapes lying around, and the characters are so well developed I really don't mind.

It also uses the best parts of the world building. The progression, and pacing is far better than even modern games, such as Rise of the Tomb Raider. You are constantly meeting new villain's, and they constantly find new ways to shake up the gameplay. Stealth sections in the game really make sense, the exploration and atmosphere is incredible(it almost gives me the same vibe as the original Luigi's Mansion. The atmosphere is so thick with gothic elements it is captivating). They give you new tools for combat and progression constantly as well, and have unique setpieces too. I want to give extra brownie points for turning a 3D game, into a 2D game when you meet Scarecrow. It's absolutely brilliant, to take away control of the player by limiting your dimension, and it really subconsciously ups the fear factor. Why haven't more games done this?

Now, I can go on and on really praising the game. But that would take even more time from my point. Arkham Asylum should be considered a classic, and one of the best games of that generation. Nowadays, Arkham is only brought up in comparison to Spiderman, and even then, it is compared to Arkham City. I look forward to getting to Arkham City and Knight as well. But man, Asylum has really been underappreciated. Almost everything great about Spiderman PS4 exists here in Arkham City, nearly a decade before Spiderman PS4 existed. I really wish people would herald this game more, because maybe I would have played it earlier.

Also, I just want to get this out of the way. Yes. Arkham Asylum is a retro games you boomers. It released 2 generations ago, 12 years ago. It contains different design elements from what we have today, on vastly inferior hardware. Also, a lot of adult gamers nowadays weren't even old enough to play a game like this most likely. 18 year olds today, were like 5-6 years old when this game released. Yes, we get it, you are old, I am getting up there too. Get over it. Once we get out of the stigma of PS3-360 games still being modern, the more young folks can actually enjoy these experiences in that lens. Because these games really aren't modern at all. They are rife with baffling technical and design decisions that all retro games have.

With that said, I love this game. It should deserve a lot more appreciation through a modern take. It has aged so much better than many of it's other colleagues.

WaluigiTime

Oct 27, 2017
Good Burger
Retro?

giphy.gif

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is a classic but no it's not a retro game, this thread is going to be 50% about that.

Retro isn't just "old game", it's a specific era of gaming, just like we'll never call music from the 90s "classical music"

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I started this game for the third time recently, but I just can't get into it. It feels way too slow-paced for me. And the combat isn't that much fun after you've played the Mordor or Spider-Man games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You knew what you were doing and I wholeheartedly approve. We were calling the N64 retro in 2008.

I totally agree with you on how the best games of yesteryear are built in and around the limitations of the time and that's why I'm so hesitant at taking older games and loading them up with modern graphics and alleged QoL fixes. Art is of its time and while games are a unique medium where objective, technical improvements can be made, they have to be made carefully or else you really aren't experiencing the same work of art anymore.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I just want to get this out of the way. Yes. Arkham Asylum is a retro games you boomers. It released 2 generations ago, 12 years ago. It contains different design elements from what we have today, on vastly inferior hardware. Also, a lot of adult gamers nowadays weren't even old enough to play a game like this most likely. 18 year olds today, were like 5-6 years old when this game released. Yes, we get it, you are old, I am getting up there too. Get over it. Once we get out of the stigma of PS3-360 games still being modern, the more young folks can actually enjoy these experiences in that lens. Because these games really aren't modern at all. They are rife with baffling technical and design decisions that all retro games have.
Honestly disagree with most of that. The majority of the games we have today still use the same design principles and templates of the PS360 era.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you OP. It's a good one. About time we see another Rocksteady project. Only a couple more years before the last entry in the series is also considered retro.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Literally came in to post the Saving Private Ryan gif lol.

But yes, Arkham Asylum is a good game, and tends to get nothing but praise to be frank. A lot of people consider it the best in the series, I disagree personally but it's matter of taste.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum is 12 years old now. If Final Fantasy 7 was considered a Retro Classic when Arkham Asylum came out, a game that released 12 years before Arkham Asylum. By all means Arkham Asylum now qualifies for the title of Retro Classic as well.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Yes it is a classic but no it's not a retro game, this thread is going to be 50% about that.

Retro isn't just "old game", it's a specific era of gaming, just like we'll never call music from the 90s "classical music"
Heard Foo Fighters on my local classic rock radio station the other day. Won't be long now until Limp Bizkit is on there.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's absolutely a classic and I don't think it's a controversial opinion.

I would love for it to have a better console preservation than the stupid Arkham collection though. Same thing as Bioshock really.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Listen here you little whippersnapper, I ain't that old yet.
Asylum is absolutely excellent though, probably still my favorite Superhero game.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't put it above The Last of Us, but yeah it's one of the best games of the PS3/360 gen.

It is genuinely fantastic.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
I fondly remember hopping on my penny farthing and cycling down to the local gaming emporium to pick up my copy for 3 shillings and sixpence back in the day.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Asylum and City were some of the best third party titles released that gen and hold up incredibly well to this day. I go back to them and they're just effortless to play.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly disagree with most of that. The majority of the games we have today still use the same design principles and templates of the PS360 era.
Arkham Asylum has a freaking autojump, clear linear structure that really isn't found today, no crafting system, lineated upgrade system(instead of something like a skill tree), enemies don't drop any loot, vaseline covered muted color pallets, the game has an autoheal, audio tapes to convey story. Need I go on? All of these are archaic design elements from the PS360 generation. Like it or not, game design and artistic choices have moved on heavily.

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I remember playing that game in 3D, with 3D glasses on. It was brilliant.
Holy shit, I totally forgot that was when TV manufacturers were pushing 3D as the next big thing too. I remember some people who paid thousands of dollars for 3D TV's. What a waste of money that was.

Avatar Hype back then was outrageous. Lol.