• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Grand Blue:

Despite all the exhausting set backs of this arc, it sounds like we're finally getting a start to the endgame. I would argue that Iori and Chisa know each other more than they know themselves, which is why Chisa is actually shocked by the Aina reveal.

Allaur

Oct 30, 2017
Grand Blue:

Despite all the exhausting set backs of this arc, it sounds like we're finally getting a start to the endgame. I would argue that Iori and Chisa know each other more than they know themselves, which is why Chisa is actually shocked by the Aina reveal.
Honestly, It would be cool if Iori will end up with Sakurako. First girl wins rule becomes really boring and girls who first confess to their love interest almost always lose too... Iori had several strong scenes with Sakurako, and their dynamic from hate to love looks interesting too. But somehow I'm sure it won't workout.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Honestly, It would be cool if Iori will end up with Sakurako. First girl wins rule becomes really boring and girls who first confess to their love interest almost always lose too... Iori had several strong scenes with Sakurako, and their dynamic from hate to love looks interesting too. But somehow I'm sure it won't workout.

I think they're very different though. Even outside the gold digging angle, she has a fairly ugly personality and is incredibly shallow. But he makes her want to be better. I've seen a ton of relationships like theirs: hell my own dad and stepmom. And they always end badly. With Chisa, he has someone who is growing with him, who has a big heart like he does under the sheen. I get that we want something surprising, considering this has been telegraphed since the first chapter but I think the author did a great job of progressing those two more realistically and wholesome than most stereotypical romances.

Allaur

Oct 30, 2017
I think they're very different though. Even outside the gold digging angle, she has a fairly ugly personality and is incredibly shallow. But he makes her want to be better. I've seen a ton of relationships like theirs: hell my own dad and stepmom. And they always end badly. With Chisa, he has someone who is growing with him, who has a big heart like he does under the sheen. I get that we want something surprising, considering this has been telegraphed since the first chapter but I think the author did a great job of progressing those two more realistically and wholesome than most stereotypical romances.
I can see where you're coming with Chisa - there was a lot of build up, she supported Iori more than anyone. But I can't agree with you on Sakurako. She had a great development from total bitch - to coworker bully who's in love with Onoya (sorry, forgot the name of blondie-kun) - it's on that stage she wanted to be a good person for someone he likese - to who she is right now. Yes, she still has a bad personality, but she shined totally differently when she was with Iori (and she said it herself - she don't need to pretend to be someone else, when they're together). I understand that you had personal experience with person similiar to Sakurako, but I think that all characters of Grand Blue are very flawed people with good heart (besides Iori's university friends) - so that kind of logic don't applies here IMHO.

And another reason I root for Sakurako - I want to see person, who makes the first move, have confidence to say out loud her feelings, to win at least once. But may be it's just my rambling - I still feel a bit burnt that IshiTsuba didn't workout in Kaguya.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Kaiju No. 8 - 39

Stuff I love:
  • Some high ranking officers being talented weirdos instead of all serious military types.
  • More large-scale kaiju combat with stationary guns and defensive structures
  • Teasing that the first division still only peaks at ~40% combat power
  • New weapon somewhere between a gunlance and bat'leth
I hope this stays ~25 pages long now that it's officially biweekly.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Kaiju No. 8 - 39

Stuff I love:
  • Some high ranking officers being talented weirdos instead of all serious military types.
  • More large-scale kaiju combat with stationary guns and defensive structures
  • Teasing that the first division still only peaks at ~40% combat power
  • New weapon somewhere between a gunlance and bat'leth
I hope this stays ~25 pages long now that it's officially biweekly.
Yup solid chapter

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
K#8:

Good thing this took place in a harbor, since I can smell the ships gathering.

I can see where you're coming with Chisa - there was a lot of build up, she supported Iori more than anyone. But I can't agree with you on Sakurako. She had a great development from total bitch - to coworker bully who's in love with Onoya (sorry, forgot the name of blondie-kun) - it's on that stage she wanted to be a good person for someone he likese - to who she is right now. Yes, she still has a bad personality, but she shined totally differently when she was with Iori (and she said it herself - she don't need to pretend to be someone else, when they're together). I understand that you had personal experience with person similiar to Sakurako, but I think that all characters of Grand Blue are very flawed people with good heart (besides Iori's university friends) - so that kind of logic don't applies here IMHO.

And another reason I root for Sakurako - I want to see person, who makes the first move, have confidence to say out loud her feelings, to win at least once. But may be it's just my rambling - I still feel a bit burnt that IshiTsuba didn't workout in Kaguya.

Totally understand. I admit that Chisa got me into the book in the first place so I'm a bit biased

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oshi no Ko 49

...not going to lie, didn't expect to hear the character say that.

ue0Pruy.jpg

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rwu9l8loj1a71.jpg

A Gojo cover from Jump Giga's summer issue. A quality drawing of everyone's favorite set of eyes and hopefully a sign that Gege is feeling better.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
www.animenewsnetwork.com

AlphaPolis Launches Alpha Manga App for Smartphones

Alpha Manga includes Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy, Gate: Where the JSDF Fought, more

Someday people will realize we dont need YET another TICKETED manga reading app.

We have way too many now, actually too many apps. When's the consolidation taking place...

And most feature Kodansha, too.
These titles though... I don't recognize ANY of them, so might be a hard sell without 1 or 2 bigger, known titles.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Darn, looks like Kindle Unlimited/Kodansha removed late series volumes from series that they had everything up for before.

Was just going through Princess Jellyfish and Nodame Cantabile but didn't get through them in time lol. I guess Princess Jellyfish still has 7 out of 9 volumes there at least.

Oct 25, 2017
icv2.com

The Great Manga Shortage of 2021

How We Got Here and Where We’re Headed

"If it's not a current series, forget it," he said. "Anything that's finished, there's nothing available. There were select titles that obviously they do keep around, but if you're just looking for a random volume of, like, Attack on Titan, it is not available."

"Big retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble can't keep some titles in stock either; as of this writing, neither had volumes 2, 3, or 4 of Chainsaw Man or the first volumes of My Hero Academia or Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba available for online purchase, and neither had a full run of Jujutsu Kaisen."

Another reminder to buy manga when you see them!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
icv2.com

"If it's not a current series, forget it," he said. "Anything that's finished, there's nothing available. There were select titles that obviously they do keep around, but if you're just looking for a random volume of, like, Attack on Titan, it is not available."

"Big retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble can't keep some titles in stock either; as of this writing, neither had volumes 2, 3, or 4 of Chainsaw Man or the first volumes of My Hero Academia or Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba available for online purchase, and neither had a full run of Jujutsu Kaisen."

Or just wait the 12-18 months it will take for the production and shipping issues to sort themselves out and buy them when they get reprinted then if you have bigger things to pay off like rent or credit card bills now ^^;

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
icv2.com

Thank God I'm an all-digital person when it comes to books.

I did see that Chainsaw Man vol. 1 is the #1 book on the B&N charts. Not #1 comic or manga, #1 book. Period.

Edit: I wonder how much of this increased demand is translating into more SJ or ComiXology subs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is funny how MHA volume 1 is selling at the top 10 almost every month for about 3 years already and still manages to be out of the stock.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
icv2.com

I pretty much exclusively get my manga from Rightstuf (and load up on sales, like theone going on now). I'm pretty sure they get books directly from the publisher, without going through a distributor like Diamond? Even when they sell out, the replenishments do happen, even for copies of more niche titles printed a few years back.

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much exclusively get my manga from Rightstuf (and load up on sales, like theone going on now). I'm pretty sure they get books directly from the publisher, without going through a distributor like Diamond? Even when they sell out, the replenishments do happen, even for copies of more niche titles printed a few years back.
rightstuf doesn't seem spared, chainsawman is a no there (think its been for a while too), random volumes of world trigger out of stock, one punch man too. sad.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
icv2.com

I've noticed this recently. It's been insane trying to find volumes of Chainsaw man or JJK in my B&N, don't check on MHA because I own them all already lmao

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
rightstuf doesn't seem spared, chainsawman is a no there (think its been for a while too), random volumes of world trigger out of stock, one punch man too. sad.

Well yeah, stuff sells out, but even if you get something on sale, you will get them at some point with a delay. The article basically says that it's difficult to acquire any back stock, but Rightstuf has no problem, just the wait to get them printed/shipped.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, stuff sells out, but even if you get something on sale, you will get them at some point with a delay. The article basically says that it's difficult to acquire any back stock, but Rightstuf has no problem, just the wait to get them printed/shipped.
It's not like the big sellers won't eventually be in stock. Some niche titles that might be the end of their license, sure, maybe snag those, but there isn't any great need to rush out and buy everything just because the stock is low. They will eventually be in stock. It's just both production and shipping are all screwed up because of the last year and a half of covid and it will take a while for things to get fixed.

But yeah, if you can order them on rightstuf then even less of a worry as they will just keep your order and ship once they have stock.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
www.animenewsnetwork.com

AlphaPolis Launches Alpha Manga App for Smartphones

Alpha Manga includes Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy, Gate: Where the JSDF Fought, more

Someday people will realize we dont need YET another TICKETED manga reading app.

We have way too many now, actually too many apps. When's the consolidation taking place...
In fairness this seems to be just an english app for the equivilent app from the japanese publisher as opposed to another fly by night service picking up whatever cheap manga they can find.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
May as well cross-post.
51Fh7qWxuIL.jpg

Just finished My Alcoholic Escape from Reality. First thing that hit me was the increase in detail since My Solo Exchange Diary. Obviously, the color scheme is drastically different from the past two series, too, but the detail is great. Everything feels more expressive, including her metaphors (her anthropomorphic pancreatitis is so good). It's definitely not an easy read, especially if you have someone close to you who has struggled with alcohol addiction. Someone close to me struggled a lot when I was in high school and college, so I was looking at Kabi through a certain lens. When she made some choices she thought were good, I knew they wouldn't work in the long run. Her experience was much more drastic than the person I know; they got in trouble with the cops and had to take classes, but they weren't ever hospitalized. Just like that person, I still worry about Kabi despite all that she's gone through, since it's a lifelong struggle. There are really raw, endearing moments that Kabi lets us see. There are also occasional moments that made me laugh pretty hard before depressing me on the next page. I really relate to her struggles with anxiety and depression, so I hope for her success just like I hope for my own. Seeing her move past things is motivating, and she's so strong for still working so hard. While the subject matter is depressing, it's also inspirational. It ends on a good note, so I hope it's a chapter that she can leave in the past and never relapses again.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any other good/cheap manga reading subscription as good as shonen jump/vis? It's hard to find what is exactly available on what subscriptions so I was curious.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Quest Dai, finally! They also announced the tankouban-sized copies on Pokemon XY. I got the boxset last year cause "well, if they didn't announce them by now, I guess I'll get the minis..." I prefer the full sizes. Surprised with BW though, the minis boxsets are actually pretty pricey, and been hoping to see a box for the tankouban ones, but nothing yet :/

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any other good/cheap manga reading subscription as good as shonen jump/vis? It's hard to find what is exactly available on what subscriptions so I was curious.
Azuki just came out and it's the closest thing to SJ that I know of, $5/mo for a bunch of Kodansha back catalogue stuff and a good number of simulpub series.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Great to hear! I feel like despite some underwhelming sales in Japan (Sakamoto and Undead), they are popular enough here to get physicals, while something like Yozakura is still just digital here.

I imagine series like Yozakura, Ayakashi Triangle, Roboco, and Magu will get physical volumes if/when they get anime adaptations.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for this, 100% planning to cop physical Sakamoto Days. Would have bought physical Magu-chan too but they just announced that one's digital only.