• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through and wanted to provide people some details on the article:

Controls:
  • L3 to dive and gain momentum
  • X to send out a zip web (used to move around buildings quickly and make sudden turns in direction
  • Scan environment by pressing R3
  • Here's an update from a Game Informer article explaining the controls: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...usive-hands-on-impressions-of-spider-man.aspx
  • Update: There has been some interest in the button layout for web-swinging in Spider-Man from readers online, so we decided to add it to this story. Enjoy!

R2 - The button is contextual. It shoots out webs for swinging when you're in mid-air, or you can hold down the button to run along walls or perform parkour while on the ground.

X - Jump. You can also use it to exit a swing or press it at the top of a wall-run to leap over a building. Additionally, in mid-air, you can use it to web-zip to gain speed by shooting out a web in front of you. You can also hold the control stick in your desired direction, tap X to web-zip so Spider-Man can make sharp, or even U-turns.

L2 and R2 - Pressing L2 and R2 at the same time will make Spider-Man zip to a perch point, which are represented as white circles on the U.I. while you're swinging. You can leap from a perched position by hitting X, and if you do it quickly it does not interrupt your flow.

L2 - Holding down L2 makes everything go into slow motion so Spider-Man can aim for specific perches. This ability will likely lead to other maneuvers, but this was what we mainly used it for.

L3 - Holding down L3 makes Spider-Man go into a dive, which is perfect for gaining speed to enter a swing.

O - Holding down O while running to the corner of a building will make Spider-Man grab onto the side of the building with a web and make a sharp turn.
Suits:
  • You start off with the traditional suit
  • They don't explain the white spider, but do explain some aspects of the new suit, the red parts on the suit are made for armor reinforcement, where he might get hit the most and the blue parts are used for flexibility in order to traverse easier
  • They saw silhouettes of a dozen suits, but they said there would be more in the final game
  • It seems like certain suits will have their own abilities
Combat:
  • It's fast and fluid
  • Spider-Man jumps from one enemy to the next with ease
  • All about giving the player choices; webbing up and using items, fighting enemies in the air, using gadgets, finishing moves.
Peter Parker:
  • The part that they got to play with Peter Parker is the one we see in the PGW trailer at the F.E.A.S.T shelter
  • Walk around the shelter interacting with various items, speaking to characters
  • They compare it to those quiet moments in Uncharted games where people are walking around going about their business interacting with each other and various things in the environment
The Open World:
  • The city is densely packed with people and life. Saying that none of the details disappear when they are at a distance
  • Can interact with citizens; take selfies with them, high five, finger guns
  • Definitely Marvel's Universe; Avengers building, Wakandan Embassy
Side Activities:
  • One has you grabbing various backpacks that Peter has webbed up in the past , the one they picked up in the demo had and image Spider-Man's old webshooters
  • Taskmaster has placed various bombs all over the city that need to be defused
  • Earn crafting components for competing these missions, bonus objectives during them give you more materials
  • Outposts that are run by Kingpin need to be taken down
  • Seems like Shocker bit from the trailer is tied into a side mission
  • Random crimes happen; robberies (actually get to go into interiors), car chases.
  • Take photos of some golden cats that are strewn about by Black Cat
Leveling System:
  • Gain experience for doing various tasks; finding landmarks, combat, exploration.
  • Various traversal upgrades; swing speed, faster launching
Gadgets:
  • Tripwire which we've seen in the demo
  • Web bomb which incapacitates a group of enemies at once
  • Spider Drone which can shoot webs of it's own at enemies
DLC "City Never Sleeps":
  • Committed to keeping people engaged after the main story
  • Each will feature a unique villain, storyline, missions, challenges, and suits
  • First one is called "The Heist" and features the Black Cat
Minor Story Details:
  • Mary Jane and Peter are not together at the time
  • Game opens up with having to take down Kingpin
  • Opens up in Peter's apartment showing some daily bugle cut outs of Vulture, Electro, Scorpion and Rhino. Doesn't confirm them as villains in the game, just that some cutouts of them getting captured by Spider-Man are there.
The best part is the quote at the end:

"I walked away from Spider-Man with one word in mind: Amazing. Insomniac is poised to do for Spider-Man what Rocksteady did for Batman. Only experienced a small part of what will be in the final product, but what I played is exactly what I want from a Spider-Man game"

Last edited:

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent. Thanks for sharing the details, I was curious to know more about this game. And the more I hear the more I like it.

Also it seems there wont be a "detective mode" a la batman? Or would that R3 scan mean that mode?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
why are we even hearing about dlc when the game is still 5 months away from releasing
Because that's how video games have been made for the past 5 years. ESPECIALLY if it's first part. You make a $10 million budget with additional $5 million for DLC afterwards. This also effects whats goes into the main game, I wish black cat was in the main game but looks like it's just peter vs. villains until DLC.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
The open world having other Marvel stuff is always nice. Hopefully we see more of this universe with other characters getting games.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
First one is called "The Heist" and features the Black Cat
Sign me the fuck up.

The thing that stood out to me most here is the pedestrian interaction. I feel like most Spider Man games in the past haven't really nailed the "Friendly Neighborhood" part of Spider Man's identity. Small touches like that really help sell that fantasy.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good but we need more informative videos like the God of War ones.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
X isn't to jump? Weird.

EDIT: it still could be, as I just realized X in the air/swinging is used to change direction n such.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Cat in the DLC? They already have my money. Hopefully there are plans for Venom and Carnage too...