• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.yahoo.com

Matt Damon says he stopped saying the 'f-slur' after his daughter wrote a treatise explaining why it's 'dangerous'

Damon says his daughter protested after he made a joke using the slur.
Matt Damon says the recent cultural shift has taught him to "shut the f*** up more" — including "retiring" a homophobic slur from his vocabulary.

In a new interview with the Sunday Times, the Oscar winner, 50, admits he stopped using what he called the "f-slur" after one of the four daughters he shares with wife Luciana protested.

"The word that my daughter calls the 'f-slur for a homosexual' was commonly used when I was a kid, with a different application," Damon told the U.K. newspaper. "I made a joke, months ago, and got a treatise from my daughter. She left the table. I said, 'Come on, that's a joke! I say it in the movie Stuck on You!' She went to her room and wrote a very long, beautiful treatise on how that word is dangerous. I said, 'I retire the f-slur!' I understood."

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Yeah, a lot of us have had to change language that was commonly accepted when we were kids but 2021 is an awfully late revelation to this particular slur, methinks.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was going to be recalling a moment from like 15 years ago when I saw the title🤦‍♂️

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your daughter shouldn't have to write a fucking treatise for you to realize that something is wrong

edit: did he seriously tell his daughter "I used it in a movie!" ??

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
She doesn't want to see any movies that I'm in that might be good. She just likes to give me shit," said Damon, Yahoo Life previously reported. "My daughter said, 'Hey remember that movie you did, The Wall?' I said, 'It was called The Great Wall.' She goes, 'Dad, there was nothing great about that movie.' She keeps my feet firmly on the ground."

lol, doesn't sound like they think much of anything he does.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
giphy3.gif

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Listen, I'm usually the first one to give people like him the benefit of the doubt; some words either don't have the same connotations in different parts of the world or you don't realise how negative they are until you're told about them.

With that said... There's absolutely no way he didn't know the full extent of the word, lmao. If he told me that he stopped using it years and years ago then sure, still a bit late, but sure. But months ago? That's kinda fucked up, Matt.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Damon for changing and for the kid bringing it up. People get in their bubbles and think shit is cool amongt their friends and family when it is not. Need someone to speak up.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Better late than never. Glad he's changed his mind on it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty bad sign when South Park stopped saying that word before you stopped.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I thought he just meant "fuck" for a second and I'm basically like "really? why? That's du..... wait WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK, MATT?!"

Last edited:

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
This is why it's important to talk to people if you hear them using slurs. Don't just let it slide.

Last edited:

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the frank 'shut the f*** up more' part is good. quite frankly everybody should do more of that... as long as it's a reminder to actually curb your words and intent, and not just avoid bad publicity.

it might be just to avoid bad publicity but y'know, hopefully his daughter chewed him thoroughly on that front