• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Even if WW is brought it makes no sense to skip Switch if the game can run there.

One of the thing that people twist is, people here aren't saying drop the other skus, just to add a Switch one if the game can be brought.
I agree that anything that can be on Switch should be. Works for me as it's my primary platform. I think it makes sense for games to be on as many platforms as possible, including PC. I'm sure companies have their reasons though.

Just commenting on why a discussion of worldwide sales come up so often here, it's because it's usually related to the discussion.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the WW sales thing is that a lot of the time you have people bringing it up to excuse or diminish poor Japanese sales, or say why a game doesn't need to have a Switch version. WW sales are obviously important, but people in this thread already know that and them wanting to discuss the Japanese market/sales isn't them ignoring that. For example if Tales of Arise does poor in Japan and someone mentions it they aren't saying the game overall did poorly and people don't need to bring up random games like NMH3 at gotchas thinking people are being hypocrites.

Before we got Asia sales numbers people did the exact same thing with sales in those areas when certain series started to decline in Japan and you have people that only come in these threads during specific release weeks to do only that, so a lot of this stuff comes off as disingenuous

Also, I would say it's pretty clear when someone is talking about Japan or WW, though sometimes the people quoting them tries to shift the discussion.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that anything that can be on Switch should be. Works for me as it's my primary platform. I think it makes sense for games to be on as many platforms as possible, including PC. I'm sure companies have their reasons though.

Just commenting on why a discussion of worldwide sales come up so often here, it's because it's usually related to the discussion.

I think often people get caught up on the whole ignoring Switch thing.

Even outside of that context, with games that would never be possible on the platform like FFVII, we can see how decline in Japan has arguably hurt the IP worldwide even if overseas sales are still stronger(maybe stronger than ever).

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think is most other threads "who cares about that, look at this, therefor it is okay" is considered whataboutism. Is dismissing Japanese sales and bringing up WW sales as a reason the sales are fine *not* whataboutism? If it is, how come they aren't treated as such?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated to any of this, I continue to be impressed by the Xbox somehow rebounding itself from the XB1 release.
The XBO was a bad product that also didn't take Japan seriously. The 360 sold 1.6 million in Japan vs 100k for the XBO.

The new Xbox is a much more appealing product WW with MS actually trying to get Japanese players to at least try Gamepass.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I think is most other threads "who cares about that, look at this, therefor it is okay" is considered whataboutism. Is dismissing Japanese sales and bringing up WW sales as a reason the sales are fine *not* whataboutism? If it is, how come they aren't treated as such?

I do think there is room for some of that discussion - it is reality that western sales is a factor for many Japanese publishers. But yea - there is a difference between a calm, reasoned discussion and literally just shouting down bad Japanese sales in a Japanese sales thread.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think the root of this problem started when Bloomberg reported about Sony leaving Japan. First, it was, that's false. Then reality hit, and it turned into "who cares? Japan abandoned Sony and Japan isn't needed!"

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Japan is important, even when you consider WW sales. The fact they don't care they're losing so many potential sales doesn't mean it's not a problem

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
remember chalkboards, pac-man jpegs, pics of consoles inside on a rainy afternoon, and gifs of a man rising from a casket

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I think the root of this problem started when Bloomberg reported about Sony leaving Japan. First, it was, that's false. Then reality hit, and it turned into "who cares? Japan abandoned Sony and Japan isn't needed!"
I would say it started before then, but that's the most blatant and vocal moment where you had a bunch of people saying it in those threads.

Japan is important, even when you consider WW sales. The fact they don't care they're losing so many potential sales doesn't mean it's not a problem
They likely do care because it's money being left on the table in their home market, but they don't see a solution for it because they aren't going to change their western shift.

Not related to a western shift, but remember this?:
danganronpa-vita.jpg

This was in 2015 and those games are only just now leaving PlayStation/PC exclusivity for Switch and mobile.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
The only reason that a game doing well in the west and doing poorly or declining in Japan is relevant would be with regards to series direction. We see this with RE and FF where they become more and more western oriented. These are the kinds of strategies and series management we can discuss, not using WW performance to push JP under the rug.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
WW discussion is fair game. A game like Monster Hunter World could be seen as an underperformance in Japan but was a resounding success worlwide.

However, it was a calculated risk from Capcom which took Sony help/money and had a contingency plan (Rise was already in development for Switch). It was good decision taken in 2014 given the market condition at that time.

However, we can't say the same about most the JP IPs we are discussing. Resident Evil is another franchise handled very well even if the game underperformed in Japan but once again it was a logical calculated risk with (probably) a contingency plan.

It is not a surprise that these IPs endured so much better than others which were bigger 10 years ago. They are keeping things fresh, following the market leaders, changing or going back to a formula when needed etc.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Sincere question to whoever lives in Japan: how much do you think / feel Lost Judgment has been promoted by SEGA? As Chris1964 recently reported how the game might witness one of the biggest entries-to-entries drop of the current PlayStation-ecosystem-focused slate, I was wondering if there could be other factors alongside the PS ecosystem's own weakness.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
WW discussion is fair game. A game like Monster Hunter World could be seen as an underperformance in Japan but was a resounding success worlwide.

However, it was a calculated risk from Capcom which took Sony help/money and had a contingency plan (Rise was already in development for Switch). It was good decision taken in 2014 given the market condition at that time.

However, we can't say the same about most the JP IPs we are discussing. Resident Evil is another franchise handled very well even if the game underperformed in Japan but once again it was a logical calculated risk with (probably) a contingency plan.

It is not a surprise that these IPs endured so much better than others which were bigger 10 years ago. They are keeping things fresh, following the market leaders, changing or going back to a formula when needed etc.
Yeah that's another reason to discuss WW performance: the effect on the series future or current JP sales. In the case with Capcom and MH, it's different because they did the next best thing to bringing MHW to Switch, which was to make a ground up exclusive for it.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Yeah the tales team have really taken feedback and have improved the game in much modern way.

Hard to say if there's a "Tales team" at all, almost all veterans are gone, despite what Bamco claimed the game was still notably outsourced and if you look at key leads from Bamco internal studio you will find more... Ace Combat staff than Tales staff.
Makes you wonder if there won't be another shuffle if they intend to develop a new Ace Combat and Tales at the same time (or just straight up more outsourcing)

I would edge my bet on an iteration from Arise scheduled for 2023 with more outsourcing (Tri Crescendo might lead this, they've been very involved with Berseria and were once again there for Arise)

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big issue I have with the obstination of Harada & co to make their games skip the Switch is that they don't even have Sony backing/marketing support.

They are basically on their own (or at best with the help of the 4th platform for JP games) and it is very difficult to make your game blow up that way.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Metroid Dread, I wouldn't expect Fusion level sales at retail because of digital. Including digital I think it could reach Fusion sales.

Deleted member 98338

Banned
Jun 11, 2021

+1

Deleted member 98338

Banned
Jun 11, 2021
RankPrevConsoleGameTotalChangePricePublisher
1PS4Tales of Arise67-181¥7,980Bandai Namco
2NSWWarioWare: Get It Together!21-34¥4,980Nintendo
3NEWPS4Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars140¥7,600Compile Heart
4NSWMinecraft12-12¥3,600Microsoft
5NEWPS4Aliens: Fireteam Elite110¥4,5003goo
6NEWNSWBanG Dream! Girls Band Party! for Nintendo Switch90¥6,980Bushiroad
7↓ 1NSWRing Fit Adventure7-4¥7,980Nintendo
8↑ 5NSWMario Kart 8 Deluxe7+2¥5,980Nintendo
9NEWNSWAnimal Crossing: New Horizons60¥5,980Nintendo
10NEWPS4Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars (LE)50¥10,600Compile Heart
11↑ 9PS4Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut5+2¥6,900SIE
12NEWNSWSuper Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury50¥5,980Nintendo
13↓ 1NSWClubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics50¥3,980Nintendo
14↑ 2NSWSuper Smash Bros. Ultimate5+1¥7,200Nintendo
15NEWNSWSuper Mario Party50¥5,980Nintendo
16NEWNSWMetallic Child50¥3,618Crest
17NEWNSWNi no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom40¥5,800Level 5
18NEWPS4SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky (LE)30¥10,800MAGES.
19↓ 5NSWMomotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!3-1¥6,300Konami
20NEWNSWDragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (New Price Edition)30¥4,980Square Enix

Credits - the DX - VGcharts

Source - https://www.comgnet.com/ranking/

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would edge my bet on an iteration from Arise scheduled for 2023 with more outsourcing (Tri Crescendo might lead this, they've been very involved with Berseria and were once again there for Arise)
Never realized Tri-crescendo worked on Berseria and now Arise. This feels so weird to read considering the history between Namco and Wolf Team that lead to the creation of Tri-Crescendo and Tri-Ace.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
RankPrevConsoleGameTotalChangePricePublisher
1PS4Tales of Arise67-181¥7,980Bandai Namco
2NSWWarioWare: Get It Together!21-34¥4,980Nintendo
3NEWPS4Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars140¥7,600Compile Heart
4NSWMinecraft12-12¥3,600Microsoft
5NEWPS4Aliens: Fireteam Elite110¥4,5003goo
6NEWNSWBanG Dream! Girls Band Party! for Nintendo Switch90¥6,980Bushiroad
7↓ 1NSWRing Fit Adventure7-4¥7,980Nintendo
8↑ 5NSWMario Kart 8 Deluxe7+2¥5,980Nintendo
9NEWNSWAnimal Crossing: New Horizons60¥5,980Nintendo
10NEWPS4Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars (LE)50¥10,600Compile Heart
11↑ 9PS4Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut5+2¥6,900SIE
12NEWNSWSuper Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury50¥5,980Nintendo
13↓ 1NSWClubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics50¥3,980Nintendo
14↑ 2NSWSuper Smash Bros. Ultimate5+1¥7,200Nintendo
15NEWNSWSuper Mario Party50¥5,980Nintendo
16NEWNSWMetallic Child50¥3,618Crest
17NEWNSWNi no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom40¥5,800Level 5
18NEWPS4SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky (LE)30¥10,800MAGES.
19↓ 5NSWMomotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!3-1¥6,300Konami
20NEWNSWDragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (New Price Edition)30¥4,980Square Enix

Credits - the DX - VGcharts
Good hold for Arise PS4, catastrophic one for the PS5 version. Maybe it is stock related at Comg ?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
One of the big issue I have with the obstination of Harada & co to make their games skip the Switch is that they don't even have Sony backing/marketing support.

They are basically on their own (or at best with the help of the 4th platform for JP games) and it is very difficult to make your game blow up that way.

Tbh Sony marketing support isn't needed as much for certain Namco games like Tales considering so far we know it's doing really well on Steam. That series just really needed a glow-up in terms of budget and also having a WW release with multiple platforms like PC. Plus Namco's marketing put in work themselves. It's just new IPs like Scarlet Nexus that end up getting hurt because they don't have a built-up audience.

Then again Scarlet Nexus had a multitude of things going against it like Xbox marketing not being strong and the game not looking as appealing.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
I would say it started before then, but that's the most blatant and vocal moment where you had a bunch of people saying it in those threads.

They likely do care because it's money being left on the table in their home market, but they don't see a solution for it because they aren't going to change their western shift.

Not related to a western shift, but remember this?:
danganronpa-vita.jpg

This was in 2015 and those games are only just now leaving PlayStation/PC exclusivity for Switch and mobile.
Oh, those times... I'm actually really glad SC ended up putting their games on Switch. Playing VNs/ADV games on a stationary machine has always felt cumbersome for me.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh Sony marketing support isn't needed as much for certain Namco games like Tales considering so far we know it's doing really well on Steam. That series just really needed a glow-up in terms of budget and also having a WW release with multiple platforms like PC. Plus Namco's marketing put in work themselves. It's just new IPs like Scarlet Nexus that end up getting hurt because they don't have a built-up audience.

Then again Scarlet Nexus had a multitude of things going against it like Xbox marketing not being strong and the game not looking as appealing.
There are three ways to get people attention over your game : a good marketing campaign, a household name and/or raving reviews/WoM.

Tales Of got the last item checked. Its preorders trend completely changed after the review dropped. They were not heading toward that kind of performance with the marketing and the name it had.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I know we love to give Namco a lot of shit especially with their increasingly low support for the Switch over the years, but if there is one thing I'm glad they do not do it's making their games exclusive to one system. They usually make their games multiplatform (Let's ignore the Switch for now).

That's a certain area I wish Square would do when it comes to their bigger games. Their exclusivity strategy really sucks imo. Games like Final Fantasy and Forespoken have no reason to be exclusive to Playstation, but I guess that's the nature of the Industry.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 37, 2021 (Sep 13 - Sep 19)

{2021.09.13}
[XB1] Infinite Dash _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Noahcode‬) (¥209)

{2021.09.14}
[PS5] Deathloop # <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.980)
[PS5] Deathloop (Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥9.980)
[PS5] Deathloop (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥7.980)
[PS5] Deathloop (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥9.980)

[XB1] Catlateral Damage: Remeowstered _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Manekoware) (¥1.591)
[XB1] Mr. Pumpkin Series Bundle <Mr. Pumpkin Adventure \ Mr. Pumpkin 2: Kowloon Walled City> _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (E-Home Entertainment) (¥1.045)
[XB1] Flaskoman _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Flying Islands Team‬) (¥527)

[XBS] Catlateral Damage: Remeowstered _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Manekoware) (¥1.591)

{2021.09.15}
[PS4] Paladins: Champions of the Realm _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (13)(Whale in the Sky Pack) <ACT> (Hi-Rez Studios) (¥1.500)

[PS5] Green Hell _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Creepy Jar) (¥2.500)

[XB1] Flynn: Son of Crimson _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Humble Games) (¥2.136)
[XB1] Merek's Market _Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Big Village Games) (¥1.909)
[XB1] Dustwind: The Last Resort _Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Z-Software GmbH‬) (¥1.909)
[XB1] Paladins: Champions of the Realm _Download Version_ |DL| (Whale in the Sky Pack) <ACT> (Hi-Rez Studios) (¥1.427)
[XB1] Mr. Pumpkin 2: Kowloon Walled City _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (E-Home Entertainment) (¥636)
[XB1] Arkan: The Dog Adventurer _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sometimes You) (¥527)
[XB1] Titan Chaser _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Samustai) (¥455)

[XBS] Dustwind: The Last Resort _Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Z-Software GmbH‬) (¥1.909)
[XBS] Arkan: The Dog Adventurer _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sometimes You) (¥527)

{2021.09.16}
[NSW] Spacebase Startopia <SLG> (Kalypso Media) (¥5.980)
[NSW] Spacebase Startopia (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Kalypso Media) (¥5.980)
[NSW] SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky # <ADV> (Mages.) (¥7.800)
[NSW] SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Mages.) (¥10.800)
[NSW] SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Mages.) (¥7.000)
[NSW] CharadeManiacs for Nintendo Switch # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.500)
[NSW] CharadeManiacs for Nintendo Switch (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.500)
[NSW] CharadeManiacs for Nintendo Switch (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.500)
[NSW] BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! for Nintendo Switch <ACT> (Bushiroad) (¥6.980)
[NSW] BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! for Nintendo Switch (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Bushiroad) (¥6.980)
[NSW] Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Prince's Edition <RPG> (Level 5) (¥5.800)
[NSW] Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Prince's Edition (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Level 5) (¥5.800)
[NSW] Metallic Child <RPG> (Crest) (¥3.618)
[NSW] Metallic Child (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Crest) (¥3.618)
[NSW] KeyWe <ACT> (Chorus Worldwide) (¥4.280)
[NSW] Amamane 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥2.200)
[NSW] Eastward (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Chucklefish) (¥2.436)
[NSW] Cruis'n Blast _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RCE> (Raw Thrills) (¥3.990)
[NSW] Colors Live _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Collecting Smiles) (¥3.177)
[NSW] Jigsaw Masterpieces EX: Kawaii Cute Goddesses _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (BottleCube) (¥3.164)
[NSW] Project Winter _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Other Ocean Group) (¥2.136)
[NSW] Flynn: Son of Crimson _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Humble Games) (¥1.900)
[NSW] SkateBird _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SPT> (Glass Bottom Games) (¥1.864)
[NSW] Predator and Wreck _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Regista) (¥1.809)
[NSW] Catlateral Damage: Remeowstered _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Manekoware) (¥1.500)
[NSW] Sky Racket _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (Double Dash Studios) (¥1.382)
[NSW] Metal Slug 1st & 2nd Mission {Metal Slug: 1st Mission \ Metal Slug: 2nd Mission} (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (SNK) (¥1.364)
[NSW] Elva the Eco Dragon _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (ISDEC Soluciones) (¥1.064)
[NSW] Evergate _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Phoenixx) (¥1.000)
[NSW] Murder Diaries _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (EpiXR) (¥909)
[NSW] Classic Logical Bundle 4 in 1 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (No Gravity Games) (¥909)
[NSW] Yousai Keimusho Kara no Dasshutsu _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Regista) (¥900)
[NSW] Arcade Archives: Soldam _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Hamster) (¥762)
[NSW] Rift Adventure _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (QUByte Interactive‬) (¥727)
[NSW] Poker Pretty Girls Battle: Texas Hold 'em _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (EastAsiaSoft) (¥545)
[NSW] G-Mode Archives 38: Mystia 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (G-Mode) (¥455)

[PS4] Spacebase Startopia <SLG> (Kalypso Media) (¥6.980)
[PS4] Spacebase Startopia (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Kalypso Media) (¥6.980)
[PS4] SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky # <ADV> (Mages.) (¥7.800)
[PS4] SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Mages.) (¥10.800)
[PS4] SINce Memories: Off the Starry Sky (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Mages.) (¥7.000)
[PS4] Amamane 2 # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥2.480)
[PS4] Amamane 2 (Premium Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥6.480)
[PS4] Amamane 2 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥2.200)
[PS4] Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars # <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.600)
[PS4] Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars (Nepunepu Shinobi Moe Box) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥10.600)
[PS4] Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.600)
[PS4] Aliens: Fireteam Elite # <ACT> (3goo) (¥4.500)
[PS4] Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Special Edition) <ACT> (3goo) (¥5.200)
[PS4] Aliens: Fireteam Elite (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (3goo) (¥4.500)
[PS4] Aliens: Fireteam Elite (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (3goo) (¥7.000)
[PS4] Hunting Simulator 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SLG> (Bigben Interactive) (¥5.300)
[PS4] Hunting Simulator 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (1)(Bear Hunter Edition) <SLG> (Bigben Interactive) (¥6.400)
[PS4] Hunting Simulator 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (2)(Elite Edition) <SLG> (Bigben Interactive) (¥7.500)
[PS4] Virtual Surfing _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Waveor) (¥4.600)
[PS4] Project Winter _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Other Ocean Group) (¥2.000)
[PS4] Flynn: Son of Crimson _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Humble Games) (¥1.900)
[PS4] Arcade Archives: Soldam _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <PZL> (Hamster) (¥762)
[PS4] Poker Pretty Girls Battle: Texas Hold 'em _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <TBL> (EastAsiaSoft) (¥545)

[PS5] Spacebase Startopia <SLG> (Kalypso Media) (¥6.980)
[PS5] Spacebase Startopia (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Kalypso Media) (¥6.980)
[PS5] Aliens: Fireteam Elite # <ACT> (3goo) (¥4.500)
[PS5] Aliens: Fireteam Elite (Special Edition) <ACT> (3goo) (¥5.200)
[PS5] Aliens: Fireteam Elite (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <ACT> (3goo) (¥4.500)
[PS5] Aliens: Fireteam Elite (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <ACT> (3goo) (¥7.000)
[PS5] Hunting Simulator 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SLG> (Bigben Interactive) (¥5.300)
[PS5] Hunting Simulator 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (1)(Bear Hunter Edition) <SLG> (Bigben Interactive) (¥6.400)
[PS5] Hunting Simulator 2 _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (2)(Elite Edition) <SLG> (Bigben Interactive) (¥7.500)
[PS5] Evergate _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Phoenixx) (¥1.000)

[XB1] Tails of Iron _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (United Label) (¥2.636)
[XB1] I Am Fish _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Curve Digital) (¥2.136)
[XB1] The Amazing American Circus _Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Klabater) (¥2.136)
[XB1] SkateBird _Download Version_ |DL| <SPT> (Glass Bottom Games) (¥2.136)

[XBS] Tails of Iron _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (United Label) (¥2.636)
[XBS] I Am Fish _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Curve Digital) (¥2.136)

{2021.09.17}
[NSW] Tails of Iron _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (United Label) (¥2.800)
[NSW] The Amazing American Circus _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Klabater) (¥2.136)
[NSW] Toem _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Something We Made) (¥1.982)

[PS4] Tails of Iron _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (United Label) (¥2.800)
[PS4] Rise Eterna _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Forever Entertainment) (¥1.800)

[PS5] Tails of Iron _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (United Label) (¥2.800)

[XB1] Aragami 2 _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Lince Works) (¥4.227)
[XB1] Apsulov: End of Gods _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (‪Digerati‬) (¥3.182)
[XB1] Zombie Watch _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (David Grof) (¥1.273)
[XB1] Nexomon _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (PQube) (¥1.045)
[XB1] Murder Diaries _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (EpiXR) (¥1.045)
[XB1] Fin and the Ancient Mystery _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Silesia Games) (¥527)
[XB1] Pets no More _Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Purple Tree) (¥527)
[XB1] Earth Marines _Download Version_ |DL| <STG> (ChiliDog Interactive) (¥527)
[XB1] Dojoran _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Ratalaika Games) (¥455)

[XBS] Aragami 2 _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Lince Works) (¥4.227)
[XBS] Apsulov: End of Gods _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (‪Digerati‬) (¥3.182)
[XBS] Zombie Watch _Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (David Grof) (¥1.273)
[XBS] Nexomon _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (PQube) (¥1.045)
[XBS] Dojoran _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Ratalaika Games) (¥455)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I know we love to give Namco a lot of shit especially with their increasingly low support for the Switch over the years, but if there is one thing I'm glad they do not do it's making their games exclusive to one system. They usually make their games multiplatform (Let's ignore the Switch for now).

That's a certain area I wish Square would do when it comes to their bigger games. Their exclusivity strategy really sucks imo. Games like Final Fantasy and Forespoken have no reason to be exclusive to Playstation, but I guess that's the nature of the Industry.
I don't think these Square projects would exist in their current form without Sony's backing.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Sales threads involving hardware sales or exclusives are always going to result in less than ideal discussions. It's not realistic to expect mods to take care of every bad faith argument or pass aggressive post, it's inevitable.

Everyone has a platform of choice, there's nothing wrong with that, but obviously it causes problems depending on how that bias affects your posting habits and the narratives that those biases tend to create.

You can twist data in whatever direction you want. Nintendo's dominance can be seen as them having a godlike knowledge of the japanese market, or that they're brand power is simply underwhelming and it's best to just focus elsewhere. Neither is true or false, but depending on where your loyalty lies you could be on either side of it, when the truth is obviously far more complex with a plethora of factors.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo's dominance can be seen as them having a godlike knowledge of the japanese market, or that they're brand power is simply underwhelming and it's best to just focus elsewhere. Neither is true or false, but depending on where your loyalty lies you could be on either side of it, which the truth is obviously far more complex with a plethora of factors.

Ok I am confused on what you mean with this statement.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
There are three ways to get people attention over your game : a good marketing campaign, a household name and/or raving reviews/WoM.

Tales Of got the last item checked. Its preorders trend completely changed after the review dropped. They were not heading toward that kind of performance with the marketing and the name it had.

I kinda disagree with that notion because while wom did help the marketing Namco did for it did push the game as well. Putting trailers out during E3 or Keighly's show as well as Vtuber marketing did help with the game's sales. Ignoring all that seems kinda unfair imo. Plus WW release and having a PC release day one were good steps in allowing Tales of Arise to sell well. We know that PC has a strong Jrpg audience. Plus Tales has a fanbase in the west helped too.

I'd say it's a combination of everything that lead to its sales. Just saying reviews and wom solely changed its trajectory is kinda unfair.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I am confused on what you mean with this statement.

Sorry, i suck at wording things and writing in general.

I see alot of people claiming that the reason why Nintendo has unprecedented success in japan is because they're the only ones that understand the market and every other company is just dumb and lazy.

I think thats a gross oversimplification of what's happening, its viewing the market in a sort or "protagonist vs antagonist" lens. You also see the opposite, that japan is irrelevant and that PS should just focus on markets that they're more successful in.

I dont believe either of those extremes are accurate.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think these Square projects would exist in their current form without Sony's backing.

I completely disagree with this considering Square themselves aren't a small developer. It's one thing if they were a smaller developer which would make sense. However, we are talking about one of the bigger Japanese developers out there. A Final Fantasy 7 Remake would not need backing from Sony when that game would have sold itself on multiple systems. It would have killed it on PC alone.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree with this considering Square themselves aren't a small developer. It's one thing if they were a smaller developer which would make sense. However, we are talking about one of the bigger Japanese developers out there. A Final Fantasy 7 Remake would not need backing from Sony when that game would have sold itself on multiple systems. It would have killed it on PC alone.

if these games can't exist without sony, then SE is in a terrible fucking position as a company
For the most part, Square's AAA games are subsidized one way or another.

From what I understand, the whole HD games pillar from Square is aimed at creating characters/expand the franchise's reach to fuel their other segments that bring regular stream of money (Mobile and MMO).

Their AAA games have a lot of risks associated to them like we saw with Avengers. One miss can tank your financials significantly. It is true that FF7R could have done without it. However, would they have taken a big gamble on a AAA new IP like Forspoken without Sony's backing ? Would they have taken Final Fantasy in another direction ?

The deal they have with Sony is on all their AAA games at varying degrees. They are offsetting the risk on Sony and as long as Sony is willing to pay, it won't change. It is probably the only JP publisher with several games around 100m-150m$ of budget.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is financing multiple SE projects and are all with high production values. I'm not sure they would be taking all these risks based only on their powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.