• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Is this a joke or an easter egg?
I don't know what to think about this

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think it's a joke? It looks like a reference to an event that lots of people know about.

Malfious

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the amount of shit they got if it was a joke.

I'm kinda hoping it's a joke though cos I'm a terrible human being.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really feel that being a joke, but more of an acknowledgement of how big that day represents with the disaster that shocked the world. It was a plane that symbolised everything after all.

Why does everything have to be purposely forced narrative wise to try and make it seem like a joke because of an object?

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i was expecting like something like a poster or something showing the event also happened in this world. This feels like someone trying to be clever and not an acknowledgement.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Its a reference to a catastrophic event that happens to be real. Dont see it as a joke, rather maybe a reminder of what happens when the world tries to destroy itself, through madness of will driven by men

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The point is that, from what I see, I doesn't make any sense to have a miniature plane in that spot, even if it's an "easter egg", their attempt is completely goofy.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't like a respectful memorial or anything. Mayyybe it could be seen as respectful if it was the towers, but the plane? C'mon. You guys need to stop going "why is this a joke to you" to the OP when this clearly isn't a serious, respectful way to memorialize a tragedy.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
It's a reference to the event that pretty much closed the 20th century and opened a new era. But it's not done in an elegant way to be honest. Clever, sure, but that's it. I mean, a plane? Really?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how that constitutes a 'joke'. There's no set-up or punchline.

This isn't like a respectful memorial or anything. Mayyybe it could be seen as respectful if it was the towers, but the plane? C'mon. You guys need to stop going "why is this a joke to you" to the OP when this clearly isn't a serious, respectful way to memorialize a tragedy.

In what way is it disrespectful...?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Exactly, the plane itself is completely out of context in a shelf like that, even if it was an event regarding a plane.
The fact is that the plane(s) where the weapons used in that attack, you don't use that to remember the people that has died that day.

It's really out of place and un-elegant, almost childish.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how that constitutes a 'joke'. There's no set-up or punchline.

In what way is it disrespectful...?
It's disrespectful in the same way it would be to memorialize or acknowledge a mass shooting with simply a picture of a gun, or to acknowledge a bombing with just a bomb. Thousands of people died, that shouldn't be reduced to a little easter egg of a plane.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Toy planes are a thing. Toy urban towers, not so much. Also, "clearly"?

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, the plane itself is completely out of context in a shelf like that, even if it was an event regarding a plane.
The fact is that the plane(s) where the weapons used in that attack, you don't use that to remember the people that has died that day.

It's really out of place and un-elegant, almost childish.
For a game that takes place in ~2035 Russia, it's pretty fitting.
It's not meant to be respectful, or disrespectful, it's just a marking for a moment in history.

Why would someone in post apocalyptic Russia give a shit about "remembering the people that died that day"? That's some faux upsetti spaghetti.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If it were a, say, pewter statue of a dude jumping from a building, I'd see your point, but I don't think the use of a plane makes it inherently disrespectful. Christianity predominantly uses the cross to remember Jesus, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
For a game that takes place in ~2035 Russia, it's pretty fitting.
It's not meant to be respectful, or disrespectful, it's just a marking for a moment in history.

Why would someone in post apocalyptic Russia give a shit about "remembering the people that died that day"? That's some faux upsetti spaghetti.
Just marking a moment would maybe be right if any of the other dates had anything representing them.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Ran straight past it to the 2019 cylinders which were the ones I needed.
Well, I like to explore in videogames and not run for the objective, so for ppl like me is extremly easy to spot that.

If it were a, say, pewter statue of a dude jumping from a building, I'd see your point, but I don't think the use of a plane makes it inherently disrespectful. Christianity predominantly uses the cross to remember Jesus, for example.

I mean, there is ANY other object on any other date?
Doen't seems so, and we are saying that 9/11 is the only date in the recent history that has deserved and out of context object to remember an event, in the whole room.

So you don't find that rather odd and silly, ok.
Not saying that it's completly offensive, it's just... unnecesary.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there is ANY other object on any other date?
Doen't seems so, and we are saying that 9/11 is the only date in the recent history that has deserved and out of context object to remember an event, in the whole room.

So you don't find that rather odd and silly, ok.
Not saying that it's completly offensive, it's just... unnecesary.

It's irrelevant whether or not there are other dates marked.

The plane is as potent an image as the towers are in terms of referencing the tragedy. Without something else to contextulise it, there is nothing in that set-up there that screams 'disrespectful' or 'offensive' to me. It's a reference to a significant date. That's it. At this point, anything else is supposition or whatever else you want to bring to the party.

It's disrespectful in the same way it would be to memorialize or acknowledge a mass shooting with simply a picture of a gun, or to acknowledge a bombing with just a bomb.

As I mentioned earlier, Christianity predominantly uses a cross to reference Christ. There's also the fact that Auschwitz was turned into a memorial and museum.

Point being, there is nothing intrinsically disrespectful/offensive in doing this. We don't really get to choose what symbols work and what don't. The plane is as much a symbol of the event as the towers are.

Thousands of people died, that shouldn't be reduced to a little easter egg of a plane.

Let's follow that line of thinking through.

Far Cry 2 simulates the Congolese Civil War on hardware that uses materials sourced from that same conflict. WW2 is the setting for innumerable video games. The complete gamification of real-world conflicts is far more disrespectful than a mere Easter Egg, surely?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Explain how it isn't clearly disrespectful to represent a real event where thousands of people died with a simple model of the thing used to kill them.
I wasn't blessed with the gift of reading other people's minds, which makes me consider the possibility that whoever was responsible for modeling that particular area tried to reference that event without any malice in their heart, not knowing it wasn't in good taste.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

The plane is as potent an image as the towers are in terms of referencing the tragedy. Without something else to contextulise it, there is nothing in that set-up there that screams 'disrespectful' or 'offensive' to me. It's a reference to a significant date. That's it. At this point, anything else is supposition or whatever else you want to bring to the party.

You still don't get it... you have to think at that as a real place.
Do you think that in any real archive someone is going to put a plane model in a shelf like that?

No, so it shouldn't happen in a "realistic" videogame like Metro too.

It's, again, completly odd and out of context, and the plane itself isn't a great imaginary to that event, even if the shelfs had one single object to indetify every important date.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Agreed. In-game, I could see someone taking a toy plane and putting it there as a mark of respect, or a reminder of a terrible tragedy. Out-of-game, I don't see anything to suggest it's anything negative.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an organic detail, like if whatever character arranged that room in the game's setting decided to put the airplane there to nod at what happened. What is this room anyway?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
wait a minute, what is this? am i meant to be offended?

it's an easter egg. is it in good taste? maybe not but chill.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
My word. Is anyone else bored of people constantly looking for or trying to manufacture outrage? Find something more productive to do.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You still don't get it... you have to think at that as a real place.
Do you think that in any real archive someone is going to put a plane model in a shelf like that?

No, so it shouldn't happen in a "realistic" videogame like Metro too.

It's, again, completly odd and out of context, and the plane itself isn't a great imaginary to that event, even if the shelfs had one single object to indetify every important date.
We don't live in a post-apocalyptic world, so what happens in our archives is irrelevant. I can absolutely buy the fiction that in this place of limited resources someone would place a plane there as a signifier for such a significant event, especially if other records of it had been lost or destroyed.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
We need more outrage on this beautiful Sunday. Sic the bloodhounds on 4A!

4985927.jpg