• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should we move to a new OT?

• Yes

Votes: 86 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 80 20.4%
  • Wait until a couple weeks before E3

Votes: 226 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I wonder why they're giving such a deal on the XB1 version so far ahead of launch. I am tempted but I only have a S and not a X, would rather get for PC.
Is it actually a deal? Or has MS lowered the price? We'll find out soon enough.

There isn't enough margin in new games for Amazon to do such a crazy deal themselves though.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I mean not working to the extent the cloud based physics was supposed to work in Crackdown.
They will still be useful to Unreal just like that other cloud based company are going to useful to MS.

This doesn't make any sense really. The only thing cloudgine has to their name is their work on Crackdown. Epic is in the business of gaming engines- if they saw fit to aquire Cloudgine and incorporate their tech into unreal, they must like what they see...

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This doesn't make any sense really. The only thing cloudgine has to their name is their work on Crackdown. Epic is in the business of gaming engines- if they saw fit to aquire Cloudgine and incorporate their tech into unreal, they must like what they see...

Nothing I say necessarily ever makes any sense....

Cloudgine have released a VR game and have another one announced.
Other than the first, basic one, no one has ever, as far as I know, had any hands on impressions of these games though.
It's not something I will bang on about but I don't think the cloud based physics/destruction thing is going to work out very well.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Other than the first, basic one, no one has ever, as far as I know, had any hands on impressions of these games though.
It's not something I will bang on about but I don't think the cloud based physics/destruction thing is going to work out very well.

It may or may not work well. But the acquisition isn't a sign either way.

For whatever reason, Epic feels their tech and staff are worth acquiring. They perceive this value for a reason.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but they probably already have pre-orders of the game, no need to switch the price. I think it really just may be an error. Though ReCore did have a price adjustment. I don't know...just seems weird.
25 dollars does seem too low for this game. For the reccord, I expected it to be at Recore's price point of 40.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about Epic made me think about possibility that MS will buy them in near future? They are into services, they bought Havoc, so having one of most popular game engines would be big plus in long term. Not sure how much that will cost...

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about Epic made me think about possibility that MS will buy them in near future? They are into services, they bought Havoc, so having one of most popular game engines would be big plus in long term. Not sure how much that will cost...
Well that would be difficult considering Tencent owns 48% of the company, I doubt MS or Tencent want to go against each other.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I don't think that they will. Epic will cost a lot but I think MS relationship with them is fine. Also epics relationship with Sony and Nintendo will devalue the use of Unreal support out the gate as epic knows Sony and Nintendo future plans for hardware before others so that the device platform is ready. So while it would be a good move in some sense, in others it wouldn't. Though it is a possibility, I don't see it happening.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Not good to hear about State of Decay 2. No direct gameplay footage and now a retail markdown months before release?

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
Not good to hear about State of Decay 2. No direct gameplay footage and now a retail markdown months before release?

We haven't heard officially that it is a reduced release. That is more to do with the UK release its still $60 on Amazon, also if it is £24.99 that is a good thing its cheaper for a AAA game.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter did amazing on Xbox even though many thought it was a waste of time. Is really hard to gauge the Xbox demographic.

It did end up on the most played games area in the store I saw yeah, that was a good sign but I had no idea it did that good man. Great to hear. I'm absolutely loving the game myself as well.

For all we know Yakuza would do decent maybe even great on Xbox too.

X Wi77iaM X

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Not really. They had to make it work with ESRAM because that's what the X1OG had, but I don't think it's dependent on it to function or anything.

it's not about ESRAM

"Choudhry did just that, and so the first steps to Xbox One backwards compatibility were taken, long before the console had a name or anything remotely resembling final specifications.

As Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. "This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware," Gammill explained. "We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon." This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One's six CPU cores. But a SOC (system on chip) – basically an Xbox 360 chip inside every Xbox One, similar to how Sony put PS2 hardware inside the launch-era PS3s – would've not only been expensive, but it would've put a ceiling on what the compatibility team could do. "If we'd have gone with the 360 SOC, we likely would've landed at just parity," he said. "The goal was never just parity." So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Hmmm, sega visited MS?

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/co...isiting_microsofts/?utm_source=reddit-android

I would love to see Yakuza coming to Xbox but nah, doubtful that's gonna happen. Then again, they are bringing a JRPG that likely won't sell too amazingly to Xbox.
They just had a Yakuza game do extremely well in the west. An Xbox/Switch port should be a no-brainer unless Sony can prevent it somehow.

Re: 360 on PC - Spencer himself has said he'd like to get their emulator to work on PC, but getting it to be compatible with multiple specs on PC could take some time.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

There were (limited) hands on impressions of Crackdown's cloud based MP stuff at a Gamescom a while back I think.

Oct 26, 2017
They just had a Yakuza game do extremely well in the west. An Xbox/Switch port should be a no-brainer unless Sony can prevent it somehow.

Re: 360 on PC - Spencer himself has said he'd like to get their emulator to work on PC, but getting it to be compatible with multiple specs on PC could take some time.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat, the game is right up my alley. From what I recall Yakuza was on Wii as well, wasn't it? It seems Sega can do whatever they want with it. But it's them that have to decide if it's worth it. I say go for it Sega. But hey, maybe it was just a general visit.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I don't care for Yakuza, but it is a game that should be on the Xbox for others to enjoy.

Why would Sony prevent it? It is not funded nor marketed by Sony. Hell, they honestly wouldn't care. Sony is ahead in the race and they have plenty of 1st party games.

This is a decision ultimately by Sega of Japan; However Spencer has the power to sway them with their decision..

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

So this is interesting. MS funding Vanquish 2?

Hold on. The same Twitter account who said that Black Ops 4 will be released this year (+ coming to the Switch) is saying that Microsoft is funding a Vanquish game? He's also saying that we'll see Nier for Switch on March 3rd.

Tough to believe especially since Platinum worked on the original.

Edit: They don't mention Microsoft funding a sequel, just that it is in the works.

peepers

Dec 10, 2017
Biscay
I've never gotten around the Yakuza games but I'd be excited if they came to the Xbox. Same with the Persona games. If they somehow manage to release some of those games into game pass during the dry months it would be a dream come true for me, honestly.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
From his Discord:

SJHum7J.png

Should someone make a new thread for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.