• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
SMITH COUNTY, Mississippi - A school official in Mississippi confirmed that a teenager passed away over the weekend, only one day after testing positive for COVID, CNN reports.

The news outlet says she was an outstanding eighth-grader at Raleigh High School, where she was an honor student and member of the high school band.

According to officials, the 13-year-old wasn't feeling well last Thursday and her mother kept her home.

She tested positive Friday and was taken to a hospital.

According to Smith County Schools Superintendent Nick Hillman, she died early Saturday while being airlifted to a Jackson-area hospital.

The school district began requiring masks four days after the start of school, which was August 6.

This was in accord with direction from the state's governor, Tate Reeves, who said decisions regarding mask policies have been left up to individual school districts.

www.wbrz.com

Mississippi eighth grader dies a day after positive coronavirus test

A school official in Mississippi confirmed that a teenager passed away over the weekend, only one day after testing positive for COVID.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Those parents failed her. They had plenty of opportunity to get her vaccinated and decided instead to unnecessarily risk their child's life.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
sadly, if Sandy Hook didn't do anything, this won't do anything

hopefully I am wrong

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Mississippi always pissed me off because it's our most populated black state with almost 40% African American but the political fuckery is so off the scale that they were able to have a fucking Confederate flag as their state flag until this year. It should be blue, but it's red as fuck and shit like this shouldn't happen.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
sadly, if Sandy Hook didn't do anything, this won't do anything

hopefully I am wrong

Sandy Hook was 27 victims on one day. Much how people talk about us having a 9/11 every day with how many people die from covid, I'm afraid we may start talking about a "sandy hook every day" if we have double digits under 18 students dying from covid daily :(

Oct 30, 2017
Unlike the original COVID, has there been research to suggest that the delta variant doesn't discriminate between age groups to the extent that the original did?

Seems like children are being thrown into the fire under the assumption that, since COVID had "minimal effect" on kids, that the variant will likewise do the same.

Mississippi always pissed me off because it's our most populated black state with almost 40% African American but the political fuckery is so off the scale that they were able to have a fucking Confederate flag as their state flag until this year. It should be blue, but it's red as fuck and shit like this shouldn't happen.

I can only speak from my experiences growing up in the rural south, but the black population was never a monolith. Black families who were not farmers by trade were vastly different than the ones who had been farming for decades. From what I've experienced, a swath of black farmers are not very different from their white counterparts. Very conservative-minded.

Nov 2, 2019
I say this knowing that you can't just "hurry up" clinical trials and research, that isn't how it works, but that still being said they NEED TO HURRY UP and get some vaccine approved for every age.

Oct 26, 2017
This shit freaks me out since I still can't vaccinate my 10 year old.

i'm so scared for my children - i hope they come out with the 0-12 vaccine soon
I say this knowing that you can't just "hurry up" clinical trials and research, that isn't how it works, but that still being said they NEED TO HURRY UP and get some vaccine approved for every age.
Right there with ya. School started today and I'm going to be nervous as hell until he can finally get the shot.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
13… and probably not vaccinated.

Her parents failed her, the government failed her, and her school district too. I really believe the vaccine should be mandated for every kid that is of age to be able to attend school, just like all the other vaccines kids have to get.

*sigh* the news and headlines are probably going to really upset me these next few weeks and months.

The vaccine for kids under age 12 can't come soon enough.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
So sad. Not sure of the status of the child, but she was failed by her parents, and the government.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Unlike the original COVID, has there been research to suggest that the delta variant doesn't discriminate between age groups to the extent that the original did?
i thought i read somewhere that Delta spreads almost as easily as chickenpox. But that delta isn't any more inherently deadly than the original strain. It may be that kids are getting a higher viral load that makes them sicker. But i am certainly no doctor or epidemiologist.

Oct 30, 2017
i thought i read somewhere that Delta spreads almost as easily as chickenpox. But that delta isn't any more inherently deadly than the original strain. It may be that kids are getting a higher viral load that makes them sicker. But i am certainly no doctor or epidemiologist.
I remember hearing about infection rates being more significant with the variant but I haven't heard much about any difference in rate of symptoms

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
If you click on that article, at the bottom there's just people arguing about what she died from.

It's the same arguments I heard a year ago when this all started. "Yeah so-and-so had Covid and died, but what they don't tell you is they had a heart condition! That was the real cause of death!". Its all just so tiring.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's actually more transmissible than chickenpox and less transmissible than measles. It's about 6-9x more transmissible than the original strain. Hospitalization rate among kids is obviously much better than adults, but it's not good given how quickly it spreads. It's genuinely terrifying sending kids back to school this fall, with deltas increased transmissibility, it's spreading among a vaccinated population faster than it did without on the original strain. Not to mention the demographic that are likely to be parents fall in among the least vaccinated population (25-40).

Schools could be a powderkeg this fall.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
If you click on that article, at the bottom there's just people arguing about what she died from.

It's the same arguments I heard a year ago when this all started. "Yeah so-and-so had Covid and died, but what they don't tell you is they had a heart condition! That was the real cause of death!". Its all just so tiring.
It's bullshit on so many levels. People with comorbidities are still people. They were alive before they caught COVID. We shouldn't be breathing a sigh of relief that "it's mostly old people" or "it's mostly people with underlying conditions." These are still people.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
The day can't get here fast enough when a Covid vaccine will be mandatory for people to attend school, travel abroad, and play sports.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

If you'd like to learn more about how bad Mississippi is read this:

We had to deploy 30,000 troops to Mississippi to get the white supremacists to stand down.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY

This.

If I could get my 3-year-old vaccinated today, I sure as hell would. I know that the chances of this happening in Westchester County, NY are significantly lower than in the "hot zone" states, but the threat is real, and it scares the crap out of me.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Damn it man. Do we have any idea how clinical trials are going for kids under 12?

I desperately want to get my kid vaccinated. This is terrifying.

May 8, 2018
I really hope the parents did everything they could to prevent this. If they didn't may god have mercy on their souls. If they did then my heart breaks for them.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have my own 13 year old daughter, can't imagine how crushed I would be if I lost her. No matter what this child's vaccination status was my heart goes out to her parents. No one should have to bury their child.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The decision to keep daughter on edge online classes for another year makes more and more sense as the days tic on. Fuck.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'm very curious where these numbers are from, because that's far higher than the CDC information.
How exactly?

Even the graphic provided in that document 1.2-1.5 people infected per infection (transmissibility) at the lower end with the original strain and 9.5 at the higher end for Delta. It's why I put a range of 6-9x, the data is obviously still evolving on it but falls pretty closely within the range of the CDC in this instance which would be around 4.5-8x based on that report.
NP5FXIR.png

Last edited:

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
We started school two weeks ago and I worry about my 8 year old every day. He randomly tells me yesterday, "oh, my friend's first day was today because he was out for covid" like it wasn't even notable anymore.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at this point I care way more about when my kid can get a vaccine than any sort of third booster shot for myself.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
How exactly?

Even the graphic provided in that document 1.2 people infected per infection (transmissibility) at the lower end with the original strain and 9.5 at the higher end for Delta.
NP5FXIR.png
The chart was borrowed from the New York times.
They underestimated chicken pox, which actually has an R0 of around 10.
The CDC data shows Delta having an R0 of somewhere between 5 and ~9. Which is quite a range, and it's misleading to simply take the higher value.

www.npr.org

The Delta Variant Isn't As Contagious As Chickenpox. But It's Still Highly Contagious

A leaked CDC document compared it to the highly contagious children's disease. Data does not support this claim. Nonetheless, the variant is one of the world's most contagious respiratory diseases.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

And we're supposed to hope these ppl will come to their senses, can be reasoned with.....

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
grifters, liars and spreaders of disinformation failed her.

let's not completely absolve individual responsibility for their choices. The parents are legal adults who have the responsibility of making the right choices for their kids. If they graduated high school, then that degree signifies that they have proven competence to some degree of literacy and critical thinking. Other adults who also graduated high school made the choice to vaccinate their kids when presented with the same information and misinformation as this parent was. Yes, high school quality of education greatly varies in an intersectional socioeconomic manner in a racist education system, I'm not ignoring that. But I am saying that nonetheless, these parents are responsible for using their evolved Homo sapiens brain to protect their children. These parents failed their kid. We don't have direct control over other people's actions, including Fox News pundits; we only have control over our own actions and responses, and these parents chose the wrong information despite unprecedented vaccination availability and information being at your fingertips with Google. And it led to a dead kid. Yes, systemically, the media and government are at fault for this, but on an individual level, these parents could have protected themselves and their child easily, and they didn't. This is their consequence unfortunately. I hope the guilt drives them to be better critical thinkers about the information they choose in the future.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The chart was borrowed from the New York times.
They underestimated chicken pox, which actually has an R0 of around 10.
The CDC data shows Delta having an R0 of somewhere between 5 and ~9. Which is quite a range, and it's misleading to simply take the higher value.

www.npr.org

The Delta Variant Isn't As Contagious As Chickenpox. But It's Still Highly Contagious

A leaked CDC document compared it to the highly contagious children's disease. Data does not support this claim. Nonetheless, the variant is one of the world's most contagious respiratory diseases.
I was repeating what I read elsewhere, your original post doesn't discredit that. The transmissibility I stated falls within an accurate range and it may or may not be more transmissible than chickenpox according to the CDC.

I'm also not American, so I apologize for not referring to a foreign health authority to support my arguments.