• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, I assumed it was happening for all but wanted to make sure.

Hopefully they can patch it ASAP, it's making MP a fuck fest on top of the already ridiculous MP design.

Oct 27, 2017
So as a longtime MH veteran since the PS2 days (though I didnt play religiously until PSP since the PS2 one was pretty bad to me), why the heck are people complaining about casualization?

I mean, it's Monster Hunter, it really hasn't changed much outside of being less clunky and the scoutflies (which shouldnt be a complaint), among other fairly minor things.

This is about as perfect as a game can get to pleasing oldschool fans while changing enough to gain new fans and it works wonderfully.

I'm not saying I like or dislike the game yet since I am still a bit wary on the bare bones content by series standards, but the complaints I've been hearing about casualization are so wrong.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Made it to Barroth before I got rocked last night. I haven't played a MH since PSP and this is a big improvement. It runs really nice for me. But the textures are pretty bad and overall image quality seems too soft no matter what I do.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 players, what are the generally more picked weapons? I'd love to go with something less chosen to more easily complement team synergy in casual matchmaking.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are GSYNC and FreeSync working with this?

Yes.

PS4 players, what are the generally more picked weapons? I'd love to go with something less chosen to more easily complement team synergy in casual matchmaking.

Charge Blade and weaboo Long sword were the more popular wepons months ago when I was still playing, I doubt it changed that much.

The hunting horn is very unpopular but is the best support weapon in the game.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Here's a list showing the popularity of weapons (via an NPC):

1. Long Sword 15% (15%)

2. Bow 13% (13%)

3. Great Sword 12% (11%)

4. Dual Blades 9% (9%)

5. Charge Blade 8% (8%)

6. Insect Glaive 7% (7%)

7. Light Bowgun 7% (8%)

8. Switch Axe 6% (6%)

9. Heavy Bowgun 6% (6%)

10. Hammer 5% (5%)

11. Lance 4% (4%)

12. Gunlance 4% (4%)

13. Sword&Shield 3% (3%)

14. Hunting Horn 1% (1%)

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
lol, they actually have the PS4 button prompts in the same texture as the Xbox and keyboard prompts. I guess another tiny software over sight given that the texture work is there.

Little mod for y'all DS4 players should be dropping here soon

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

1. Long Sword 15% (15%)

2. Bow 13% (13%)

3. Great Sword 12% (11%)

4. Dual Blades 9% (9%)

5. Charge Blade 8% (8%)

6. Insect Glaive 7% (7%)

7. Light Bowgun 7% (8%)

8. Switch Axe 6% (6%)

9. Heavy Bowgun 6% (6%)

10. Hammer 5% (5%)

11. Lance 4% (4%)

12. Gunlance 4% (4%)

13. Sword&Shield 3% (3%)

14. Hunting Horn 1% (1%)
Where is this NPC?

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
Played about 8 hours yesterday, damn. I'm really enjoying it compared to my time put into Dauntless, also super pleased with how the game runs.

I have a 1050Ti and an i54440, so cpu below the minimums haha. Left the settings on mid and turned off volume rendering, game is extremely playable like that. I might try bumping it up to low and messing with some other settings.

Started out with Lance and had to look up multiple videos and guides before someone finally said how to power guard. Beat up to pukei but spent a lot of time just practicing against kula and messing around with great sword against great jagras. The lance charge is so damn fun.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
So as a longtime MH veteran since the PS2 days (though I didnt play religiously until PSP since the PS2 one was pretty bad to me), why the heck are people complaining about casualization?

I mean, it's Monster Hunter, it really hasn't changed much outside of being less clunky and the scoutflies (which shouldnt be a complaint), among other fairly minor things.

This is about as perfect as a game can get to pleasing oldschool fans while changing enough to gain new fans and it works wonderfully.

I'm not saying I like or dislike the game yet since I am still a bit wary on the bare bones content by series standards, but the complaints I've been hearing about casualization are so wrong.

99% of the streamlining changes have been great and they have done a good job making it more accessible without losing depth but I have one complain that, after 200 hours of gameplay my opinion of it didnt change and its that of moving/sprinting while drinking. A lot of people tried to dismiss this concern before launch by saying the AI is more aggressive to compensate but I find the AI patterns the same as previous games and if anything less aggressive (lack of grank, virus monsters or deviant monsters as well). In my opinion healing is way less skill intensive than it was previously when you're being efficient (healing in between attacks and not running away in another zone). Some monsters like enraged gold rathian in grank you really had to perfectly know that one opening where you were safe drinking and time it as soon as you saw the tell of that attack. In MHW you can just sprint dodge around the monster no matter what.

Last edited:

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
You probably already figured it out but it's an issue with the Special K injector. I had to turn it off.

I did get it working but not from that, though now that I know that I'll be sure to turn special K off if it's on. I got it working by running stream and world both in admin mode. Thanks for the reply though, I was getting pretty triggered.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, as someone who played through four of the previous MH games, this game is really confusing at times. Perhaps even more so than the older games. I don't really see how this is the more accessible one in the series.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

1. Long Sword 15% (15%)

2. Bow 13% (13%)

3. Great Sword 12% (11%)

4. Dual Blades 9% (9%)

5. Charge Blade 8% (8%)

6. Insect Glaive 7% (7%)

7. Light Bowgun 7% (8%)

8. Switch Axe 6% (6%)

9. Heavy Bowgun 6% (6%)

10. Hammer 5% (5%)

11. Lance 4% (4%)

12. Gunlance 4% (4%)

13. Sword&Shield 3% (3%)

14. Hunting Horn 1% (1%)
Yo. Hunting Horn main here. Last place is insanity. HH buffs, it heals, it KOs, great reach, it deals great damage. You look like a boss when you KO that monster, spin around and buff/heal your party all with 1 movement. People LOVE you when they see you in party. Yeah it's a harder weapon to master, but possibly the most rewarding when you do!

Do you like infinite stamina?
Do you like free hearing, tremor, and blight protection?
Do you like healing your entire party while attacking at the same time?
Do you like fighting with a giant electric guitar?

Go HH.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Yo. Hunting Horn main here. Last place is insanity. HH buffs, it heals, it KOs, great reach, it deals great damage. You look like a boss when you KO that monster, spin around and buff/heal your party all with 1 movement. People LOVE you when they see you in party. Yeah it's a harder weapon to master, but possibly the most rewarding when you do!

Go HH.
i started using HH yesterday and as someone who plays a lot of support in other games/mmo i was really into it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gotta say, as someone who played through four of the previous MH games, this game is really confusing at times. Perhaps even more so than the older games. I don't really see how this is the more accessible one in the series.

What is confusing? The core of MH is here, just minus many of the oddities that have held into for years.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Go HH.
I love the HH.

I main that and the Charge Blade.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What is confusing? The core of MH is here, just minus many of the oddities that have held into for years.

For example, I don't really get how the guide bug thingo works -- sometimes it highlights stuff, sometimes it doesn't. There are so many things to upgrade like individual monster tracking levels. Then you have all those collection (mini-) quests, limited quests, quests constantly being posted by strangers while you're playing on your own. You'll get new targets mid-quest. Weapon movesets got more complex. Alpha and Beta armor. The map can be a bit difficult to read because it's multi-layered she there are tons of symbols constantly showing. And other stuff I can't think of at the top of my head. I'm only like five hours in and I feel like my brain is melting.

It's just a lot to take in. I played enough of the older games that they made sense to me. Maybe this is how people who never played MH before experienced the older ones too, hah.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Less chosen? Go with Sword and Shield. It looks a bit tame but it's surprisingly fun to play. Being able to throw and use items while keeping your weapon out is a completely underrated feature.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
I set up both my keyboard and mouse bindings like Arrekz did in his video here and it worked out pretty well for me last night, especially with the bowguns. I have a few extra mouse buttons, I just wish there was a way to bind a single item like use a potion or a trap to one of them.

Oh yeah ! MUCH better !

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For example, I don't really get how the guide bug thingo works -- sometimes it highlights stuff, sometimes it doesn't. There are so many things to upgrade like individual monster tracking levels. Then you have all those collection (mini-) quests, limited quests, quests constantly being posted by strangers while you're playing on your own. You'll get new targets mid-quest. Weapon movesets got more complex. Alpha and Beta armor. The map can be a bit difficult to read because it's multi-layered she there are tons of symbols constantly showing. And other stuff I can't think of at the top of my head. I'm only like five hours in and I feel like my brain is melting.

It's just a lot to take in. I played enough of the older games that they made sense to me. Maybe this is how people who never played MH before experienced the older ones too, hah.
I see what you mean. The big issue was that some thought World might dumb down the overall MH feel but they certainly added a layer of complexity that needs explaining.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
as cliche as it sounds apparently driver 398.36 helps with performance over 398.82. Don't have the game yet so I can't test myself.

I'm getting really inconsistent reports and experience with this tip going around.

Performance on my end improved after upgrading to 398.82, and there are others who have reported the same thing.

It's likely related to what GPU is being used. Everyone I've seen who said performance improved with 398.82 all said they were using a GTX 970, as am I.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to kill the dozen+ Great Jargas that the game gives my various types of missions for in a very short span of time? Seems like I'd never need all the mats I'm getting from it

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

1. Long Sword 15% (15%)

2. Bow 13% (13%)

3. Great Sword 12% (11%)

4. Dual Blades 9% (9%)

5. Charge Blade 8% (8%)

6. Insect Glaive 7% (7%)

7. Light Bowgun 7% (8%)

8. Switch Axe 6% (6%)

9. Heavy Bowgun 6% (6%)

10. Hammer 5% (5%)

11. Lance 4% (4%)

12. Gunlance 4% (4%)

13. Sword&Shield 3% (3%)

14. Hunting Horn 1% (1%)
im shocked that s&s is so low

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
Installed this morning. I was about HR 80 in the PS4 version, and can't wait to grind out to end game again. Is there an ERA squad on Steam?

vastag

Oct 26, 2017

1. Long Sword 15% (15%)

2. Bow 13% (13%)

3. Great Sword 12% (11%)

4. Dual Blades 9% (9%)

5. Charge Blade 8% (8%)

6. Insect Glaive 7% (7%)

7. Light Bowgun 7% (8%)

8. Switch Axe 6% (6%)

9. Heavy Bowgun 6% (6%)

10. Hammer 5% (5%)

11. Lance 4% (4%)

12. Gunlance 4% (4%)

13. Sword&Shield 3% (3%)

14. Hunting Horn 1% (1%)

I'm usually a Hammer, Long Sword and Bow main. I'm going to try something different in this one, Probably the Switch Axe and the Gunlance.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom Hath Respondeth.

1s5ppoxqx8f11.png

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
So I have 0 idea how squads worked on console, but is there any easy way to restrict people from joining a hunt or SOS flare based on Steam group membership? Having to pass out a stupid session ID is getting old.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
After trying all of the weapons in the training room, I chose the insect glaive and I'm absolutely loving it. I feel like such an agile badass dancing through the air by constantly chaining together aerial attacks while the monsters below have no anti-air. I've been opening with the insect splatter (LT+RT, hits where you're aiming) that sends your insect to attack and leave behind a cloud that you can hit for a special effect AND also gets you the insect buff all at the same time. I follow this up by vaulting into the cloud with the spinning aerial attack for some kind of explosion and a beginning to my aerial assault. I can't really see any reason to use the other insect commands unless perhaps you're running away and can't stop to fire the splatter. I've also really liked the mounting mechanic so far, but I'm not exactly sure what triggers it. It just seems to randomly happen as I attack it from above. Anyone have more insight on what actually triggers mounting?

Really enjoying the early game so far! So much stuff to collect, tracks to find, monsters fighting other monsters (I had the Pukei-Pukei start attacking the Great Jagras as I was fighting it!), and pretty sweet feeling combat! As a first time MH player, it's feeling like a much more polished and content-rich Vindictus.

Edit: Playing with a DS4 controller. My computer is a Core i5 4690K at stock, GTX 1070, 8 GB of RAM. I'm running it at 1440p with almost everything maxed except for volume rendering (med), SH (med), and using FXAA because I prefer the look over TXAA. Getting about 50 fps average in Asteria and anywhere between 40-60 in the first hunting ground depending on the weather where a rain storm brought it down to 40'ish.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any of the advanced settings that will lessen the cpu usage? This thing is running my laptop like an oven

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland

1. Long Sword 15% (15%)

2. Bow 13% (13%)

3. Great Sword 12% (11%)

4. Dual Blades 9% (9%)

5. Charge Blade 8% (8%)

6. Insect Glaive 7% (7%)

7. Light Bowgun 7% (8%)

8. Switch Axe 6% (6%)

9. Heavy Bowgun 6% (6%)

10. Hammer 5% (5%)

11. Lance 4% (4%)

12. Gunlance 4% (4%)

13. Sword&Shield 3% (3%)

14. Hunting Horn 1% (1%)
Aah fuck. I was thinking about maining HH after being loyal to Dual Blades in MHFU, but this just solidifies that.
im shocked that s&s is so low
I only have outdated knowledge, but honestly, I'm not surprised. The weapon's all utility, it isn't big, fast, flashy or complex. It isn't a judgment about the weapon choice's usefulness, just the "cool" factor.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Go HH.

It's single slash attack makes solo farming with it a bit of a pain in the arse

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised gunlance is so low. Is it bad in this game?

Same with heavy bowgun. I've been using it and it just deals so much damage.
Its more due to the fact that its not user friendly, slow to handle and move around with hops instead of rolling but its very good that you can nearly get a near sub 2 min against nergigante. Gunlance and Lance are right up there in fast kill times. Same with HBG, HBG cluster has the fastest kill times among the 14 class weapons.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
After trying all of the weapons in the training room, I chose the insect glaive and I'm absolutely loving it. I feel like such an agile badass dancing through the air by constantly chaining together aerial attacks while the monsters below have no anti-air. I've been opening with the insect splatter (LT+RT, hits where you're aiming) that sends your insect to attack and leave behind a cloud that you can hit for a special effect AND also gets you the insect buff all at the same time. I follow this up by vaulting into the cloud with the spinning aerial attack for some kind of explosion and a beginning to my aerial assault. I can't really see any reason to use the other insect commands unless perhaps you're running away and can't stop to fire the splatter. I've also really liked the mounting mechanic so far, but I'm not exactly sure what triggers it. It just seems to randomly happen as I attack it from above. Anyone have more insight on what actually triggers mounting?

There's a hidden cool down for mounted attacks, I think damage affects it and not time I forget. You're not using insect recall? Are you not trying to get your 3 buffs asap? I used the insect shoot/recall constantly, only after I got my buffs would I splatter.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aah fuck. I was thinking about maining HH after being loyal to Dual Blades in MHFU, but this just solidifies that.
I only have outdated knowledge, but honestly, I'm not surprised. The weapon's all utility, it isn't big, fast, flashy or complex. It isn't a judgment about the weapon choice's usefulness, just the "cool" factor.
I was an HH main on console...just so fucking fun. It's very user friendly too. Soloed the entire game iwth it no problem.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Man what's with these connection drops, love this game but good lord I keep crapping out mid fight with my friends.