• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition on Steam

The newest chapter of the iconic fighting franchise is now available! Experience the deadliest tournament with all the kombatants and their unique fatalities. Players enter the realm to face the Kombatants in Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition, delivering all of the downloadable content (DLC)...
At the request of the publisher, Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition is no longer available for sale on Steam.

Not sure why. Possibly because WB lost the US rights to Freddy Kruger, who is a character in the game.

OP
OP
_Aaron_

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Freddy being the reason would be bizarre, as New Line is a WB subsidiary.
bloody-disgusting.com

[Exclusive] U.S. Rights to ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ Have Reverted Back to Wes Craven’s Estate

One of the biggest conversations in the horror community right now is the current state of the Friday the 13th franchise, which is trapped in a legal battle between two parties. It all started when Friday the 13th writer Victor Miller exercised a legal right that would revert the ownership of...

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
bloody-disgusting.com

[Exclusive] U.S. Rights to ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ Have Reverted Back to Wes Craven’s Estate

One of the biggest conversations in the horror community right now is the current state of the Friday the 13th franchise, which is trapped in a legal battle between two parties. It all started when Friday the 13th writer Victor Miller exercised a legal right that would revert the ownership of...

Ah. Serves me right for not digging any further than the USPTO database. ;) WB owning the IP and character but being unable to use either because the rights are split between US and international use is quite the legal quandary.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I continue to wonder why companies don't announce when these things are going to happen, I own it already and I'm betting most people who wanted it own it or played it already but it's still annoying as hell when it's as simple as an email or tweet.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No loss. MK11 is a far superior game.
Nope. Story mode is still superior in MK9, and i'd even say that MK9 gameplay is more fun and interesting than MK11.

I was really happy about NRS slowing the pace of MK, but damn, i really miss MK9 and MK10 when it comes to gameplay. At least they tried something else with 11, that's cool. Can't wait for MK12.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
Nope. Story mode is still superior in MK9, and i'd even say that MK9 gameplay is more fun and interesting than MK11.

I was really happy about NRS slowing the pace of MK, but damn, i really miss MK9 and MK10 when it comes to gameplay. At least they tried something else with 11, that's cool. Can't wait for MK12.

Even MK10 is better than MK11.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Aesthetically it's my favorite game in the series next to MK2. The audiovisual tone and atmosphere is almost perfect. The game has a very smooth and colorful look to it, and they kept the characters uttering nonsensical gibberish for their attacks which was a hallmark of the series inexplicably taken out from the rest of the modern trilogy. The only downside was the sudden spike in cringiness of the female character designs, which was never nearly that bad in any of the preceding games.

I expect the game to still perform good enough sales-wise for WB to bother fixing the licensing.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I continue to wonder why companies don't announce when these things are going to happen, I own it already and I'm betting most people who wanted it own it or played it already but it's still annoying as hell when it's as simple as an email or tweet.
In this case it seems to have been due to Warner deciding that they weren't able to guarantee that they were legally allowed to sell the game.

That'd mean instant removal. The last thing they should be doing if they believe they're in a legally dubious position is announcing dates for removal and encouraging more sales.

It is strange when publishers who do have rights with a set expiry date just remove a game without warning, but that doesn't seem to be quite what's happened here.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I already own it. It's my favorite MK game. I mainly approach fighters from a single player perspective. The story and presentation are unmatched. The challenge towers and Krypt were excellent. I was excited for MK10 but boy was that story mode disappointing. MK11 feels like it was designed around micro-transactions.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
These moves always blow my mind. Of course, the game still exists in some forms, but to know you're going to eventually have to stop selling one of your mainline entries by adding a guest character kinda sucks.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
bloody-disgusting.com

I just realized its been more than 10 years since the last Friday the 13th movie. That's actually insane.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Seems like the contracts for the inclusion need to be better.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not quite exactly. Its only a problem when you don't own all the IP's that make guest appearances.

If they don't own the IP but have a contractual license to use them in a certain game it's also not a problem.

the problem here seems to be that when the game came out they owned the rights to the character so they didn't need a contract, but now they don't own the character so they don't have legal permission to use him in the game.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Can't they just remove the character, and make him unplayable online for existing owners?

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Can't they just remove the character, and make him unplayable online for existing owners?
Depends on if they want to put the money and time into doing that. If the game is not currently selling at all, they might view it as more of a monetary detriment than just simply letting it not be sold anymore.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why would WB not tell fans ahead of time and maybe do a sale before it was delisted? Played MK9 on console mostly but wouldn't have minded to have a copy of the PC version.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
These moves always blow my mind. Of course, the game still exists in some forms, but to know you're going to eventually have to stop selling one of your mainline entries by adding a guest character kinda sucks.
I think a large part of the issue here is that the PC version was released as the complete version including all DLC (someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that's how I remember it anyway). With the other versions there is at least a fallback of the base version.

Weirdly the DLC that includes Freddy still appears to be available on the PlayStation Store (at least in Europe). That could be due to different amounts of time needed for platform holders to delist, though.

So..MKX, MK11 and Injustice 2 wil share the same fate at some point.
The complete editions of them probably will, yes.

Seems like the contracts for the inclusion need to be better.
Potentially yes, but it seems that the difficulty here was a change of ownership of IP. No matter how good a contract is, it's going to struggle to cover that scenario, since a new IP owner isn't bound by contracts that they didn't sign.

It's probably pretty easy to remove him. Whether it's worth it to maintain the ongoing sales levels would be another question.

Removing him from online play for existing owners would be legally dubious though. The people who can now play as Freddy bought the rights to do so.

Why would WB not tell fans ahead of time and maybe do a sale before it was delisted? Played MK9 on console mostly but wouldn't have minded to have a copy of the PC version.
Answered earlier already, but this doesn't look like it was a matter of an expiring contract where they knew in advance when they could stop selling the character. It looks like they decided that they were already in a position where they couldn't sell the game containing the character, so immediate delisting was the only legally sound move. If every sale of the game is illegal (or legally dubious) then they definitely couldn't encourage more sales.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

You can still grab it on cdkeys for under $4. Do it before they jack the price up, which always seems to happen with delisted games.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I've always hated the movie guest characters and this just adds to that.

Just make a movie fighting game like Terrordrone and be done with it. I'm sure it'll make tons of money.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
What if NRS are remastering the 3D era of games. We recently got MK4 on GOG after all.

wishful thinking I know

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna be real curious what Smash Bros Ultimate is going to look like in 10 years...

... Or did Nintendo ensure "indefinite" use for that game?

Either way, it's crazy to think that guest characters can go back and screw a game's availability, though given how few sales it must generate these days, maybe publishers don't mind.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be real curious what Smash Bros Ultimate is going to look like in 10 years...

... Or did Nintendo ensure "indefinite" use for that game?
They may have signed indefinite contracts with the people who owned the IPs within it at the time, but even that wouldn't allow them to keep selling it if the ownership changed and the new IP owners didn't want their character(s) in Smash. It seems pretty likely that any new owner of those third-party characters would be okay with them staying in Smash though.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
The Arcade Kollection was removed years ago as well. It's a tough time to be a fan of legacy MK titles.

I'm hoping they're planning a new collection maybe similar to what Street Fighter 30th Anniversary did, but maybe with MK 1-9? 30th Anniversary is in 2022.

If I were them, I'd leave the third-party characters as dlc so they can just remove the dlc listings if needed instead of the entire game.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I like that they remove the title from sale rather than release an update that removes content, assuming that's not coming later.

That should be the only way to do it. Release a separate version of the game for sale without the content. Not screwing with our purchases.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like that they remove the title from sale rather than release an update that removes content, assuming that's not coming later.

That should be the only way to do it. Release a separate version of the game for sale without the content. Not screwing with our purchases.
I don't think they could remove something you paid for.