• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
except his panel in the hospital shows he being near death with very low heartbeat, imo it was a sign he could die soon
61 bpm is not a very low heart rate lol. It's a normal heart rate for a relatively fit person to have. That and the stable rhythm are positive signs, not the other way around afaik.

And again, "Both you (Aizawa) and Gran Torino would've been much worse off if you'd gotten attention any later. You can thank Rock Lock and the others for making your lives top priority" is not something you write only to have one of the subjects live and one of them die.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Just have to vent that now of all times, when I finally get caught up on the manga, it's at its most tense and waiting a week each time is killing me.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
61 bpm is not a very low heart rate lol. It's a normal heart rate for a relatively fit person to have. That and the stable rhythm are positive signs, not the other way around afaik.

And again, "Both you (Aizawa) and Gran Torino would've been much worse off if you'd gotten attention any later. You can thank Rock Lock and the others for making your lives top priority" is not something you write only to have one of the subjects live and one of them die.
It is literally just above the dangerous level
also Torino is old I doubt standards for fit adults apply for him.
And you are reading too much into what the doctor said, he porbably means that both would dead right now, and not being dead is better than being dead in my book
Just have to vent that now of all times, when I finally get caught up on the manga, it's at its most tense and waiting a week each time is killing me.
at least it isnt a break week lol
talking about it, it has been what? 2 months without breaks?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine having all your bones broken, be in the middle of probably the biggest disaster in Japan in the last century, get put in a coma, drop out of high school and your dad still wont come visit you

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
actually it's significantly lower than the dangerous level

www.health.harvard.edu

What your heart rate is telling you - Harvard Health

A typical resting heart rate for an adult is 60 to 100 beats per minute. Learn more about what your heart rate can tell you about your health....

Your resting heart rate

When you are at rest, your heart is pumping the lowest amount of blood to supply the oxygen your body's needs. For most healthy adult women and men, resting heart rates range from 60 to 100 beats per minute. However, a 2010 report from the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) indicated that a resting heart rate at the low end of that spectrum may offer some protection against heart attacks. When WHI researchers examined data on 129,135 postmenopausal women, they found that those with the highest resting heart rates—more than 76 beats per minute—were 26% more likely to have a heart attack or die from one than those with the lowest resting heart rates—62 beats per minute or less. If your resting heart rate is consistently above 80 beats per minute, you might want to talk to your doctor about how your heart rate and other personal factors influence your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
also Torino is old I doubt standards for fit adults apply for him.
And you are reading too much into what the doctor said, he porbably means that both would dead right now, and not being dead is better than being dead in my book
sigh...
Please don't tell me you just googled "normal heart rate", saw "60-100 bpm" in a bunch of article previews and concluded that below 60 is dangerous.
You wanna know why I know having a heart rate below 60 isn't dangerous? Because my resting heart rate is in the high 50s. And I'm pretty sure I'm not dying. I've seen my own resting heart rate go from around 70 to the 60s to high 50s as my fitness level improved. I know what I'm talking about. People in better shape than I am probably have it even lower.
The estimate for the average going up to 100 is probably just a result of there being too many people that simply don't exercise enough. Like I said, a heart rate in the low 60s is normal for a relatively fit person.

Second, I'm not reading too much into the doctor's words, rather you're just grasping at straws to reach a conclusion where somehow what he said about two patients only applies to one of them in the end.

Look, I understand wanting Torino to die. I get it. Maybe he should've died. Especially after the attack he took.
But he didn't. He lives, and we have to live with that. Can't let the ghost of Torino's survival haunt us.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine having all your bones broken, be in the middle of probably the biggest disaster in Japan in the last century, get put in a coma, drop out of high school and your dad still wont come visit you
It's actually nonsensical at this point. I might join in on the "AfO is Deku's dad" train because it would at least explain why he's never around even during emergencies. Despite nothing else about the theory making sense.

Last edited:

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

72439aeb802ef6a4851182cb19e1201b.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Izuku's dad is working abroad there's probably not much he can even do at the news except make some calls. They may have temporarily grounded public travel in and out of the country, given there's a national emergency.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Man is gonna show up in the last chapter to say how proud he is before vanishing for another few years

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It is, no joke, genuinely weird how totally absent Deku's dad is. Not just from his life, but from his character. No angst about him being dead or absent, no word about him calling or not when Deku gets hurt. Just nada. He's not just not there, he's not even not there, if that makes any sense.

It's almost enough to create crazy conspiracy theories about mind control powers erasing Deku and Inko's awareness of his father as a concept. All we know about the man is that he apparently had firebreathing powers per that doctor visit when Deku was a kid. That's it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
It is, no joke, genuinely weird how totally absent Deku's dad is. Not just from his life, but from his character. No angst about him being dead or absent, no word about him calling or not when Deku gets hurt. Just nada. He's not just not there, he's not even not there, if that makes any sense.

It's almost enough to create crazy conspiracy theories about mind control powers erasing Deku's awareness of his father as a concept.

I would accept he is just absent if it wasn't for that one time Hori was at Comic Con and was asked about it and he said he would appear.

edit: or something very close to that. or just more info on him in the future, probably that.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like it was deliberate that Deku takes after his mum so hard, so Hori could keep his options open concerning the dad.
Even so, one of the biggest issues with the Dad-For-One theory for me is the fact that AfO is like 6 foot 6 or some ridiculous shit while Deku is pretty small.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he'll be shown eventually but I doubt it'll be anything big for the story

That would make it worse for readers I think

At least the general "excuse" for shitty fathers in anime are that they're super important or powerful in one way or another, and went off to do shit that they deemed to be more important than their children. Gendo, Dragon, Ging, etc. we all know the type.

If Deku's dad was really off doing some generic job this whole time, while also being a person that Deku and his mom have no beef with, that would be hilariously sad...

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
That would make it worse for readers I think

At least the general "excuse" for shitty fathers in anime are that they're super important or powerful in one way or another, and went off to do shit that they deemed to be more important than their children. Gendo, Dragon, Ging, etc. we all know the type.

If Deku's dad was really off doing some generic job this whole time, while also being a person that Deku and his mom have no beef with, that would be hilariously sad...
I mean his dad is all jokes and memes to me I don't actually care about him if he's important or not lol

I do care for the Dad for One theory though, please no thank you into the trash it goes

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean his dad is all jokes and memes to me I don't actually care about him if he's important or not lol

I do care for the Dad for One theory though, please no thank you into the trash it goes
It is trash, but man, I need something to explain how absent he is from the series. As someone mentioned, the father got mentioned once, and it was to the doctor. If the dad and Inko were separated, then that's perfectly fine, but that doesn't seem to ever be implied. Deku never mentions him or seems to care.

Like legit, Inko could have been a single mom, and nothing would have changed in the story. Hell, it would make his relationship with All Might all the more sweet. But, they didn't go that route. It's not a big deal, but I legit don't get the decision behind having Deku's dad apparently still with Inko, but just not there, despite all this shit happening with their son.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Deku actually talks with his dead every night by phone but kohei just chooses to not show it

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Kinda hoping with that color page that Hori knows AFO is a crusty and we're here for Shigaraki...

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Another thing I noticed about the color page: look at Deku's and Shiggy's hands.

Deku doesn't want touch AFO while Shiggy is all over All Might.

Could be nothing but nice touch.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just read the new chapter.
I AM SOOOOOOOO HYPED for a gritty deku. I love this shit, I'm excited. I feel like it's been sooo long since he's gotten character work and this is a very drastic move for a very dire situation, super appropriate. Definitely one of the most interesting turns.

I read the manga week to week and usually read reactions here. I was surprised you guys thought that we were gunna get more info on the other OfA users last week, I didn't get that from it all and was so happy to see that they continued with the characters lol. I've been hoping we got an update on Deku's actual status so this was finally what I was waiting for. He looks so exhausted and ruined and damn I'm ready for the level up.

Hope this next act isn't just like a one arc thing, that'd be incredibly disappointing.

edit: just remembered- I did find at least one thing kinda wack btw- I thought his arms were ruined? Was surprised to see he is relatively fine, I wonder if they'll touch on that later.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I just read the new chapter.
I AM SOOOOOOOO HYPED for a gritty deku. I love this shit, I'm excited. I feel like it's been sooo long since he's gotten character work and this is a very drastic move for a very dire situation, super appropriate. Definitely one of the most interesting turns.

I read the manga week to week and usually read reactions here. I was surprised you guys thought that we were gunna get more info on the other OfA users last week, I didn't get that from it all and was so happy to see that they continued with the characters lol. I've been hoping we got an update on Deku's actual status so this was finally what I was waiting for. He looks so exhausted and ruined and damn I'm ready for the level up.

Hope this next act isn't just like a one arc thing, that'd be incredibly disappointing.

edit: just remembered- I did find at least one thing kinda wack btw- I thought his arms were ruined? Was surprised to see he is relatively fine, I wonder if they'll touch on that later.

I'm super excited for Deku like all other Shonen MC to finally mature/go beyond their comfort zone.

Hori took his time but it's all coming together!

As for his arms:

If we go with Hex's coloring, this could be blood from his arms or hero work. We don't know yet other than the red bandages.

Another thing worth mentioning, his new design got a lot of dots (on his scarf, shoes and kneecaps).

Possible to help him with one of his new quirks?

The 6th user's name En could be translated to "circle" among many other meanings like fate and smoke.

Or could be just a design choice/to make his scarf or clothes more sturdy or practical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.