• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Ars Technica: NBC demanded that YouTube TV bundle Peacock or lose access to NBC channels.
arstechnica.com

NBC demanded that YouTube TV bundle Peacock or lose access to NBC channels

YouTube TV could lose NBC channels when contract expires Thursday.

NBCUniversal recently asked YouTube TV to bundle Peacock, the NBC streaming service that has apparently failed to get many paying subscribers. The Comcast-owned NBC wants the Google-owned YouTube TV to pay for Peacock as a condition of continuing to have access to NBC channels after the companies' current contract expires.

NBCU is trying to force YouTube TV to bundle and pay for Peacock Premium as part of a new affiliation agreement for the NBCU channels," LightShed Partners wrote, pointing out that this is a strange demand.

"Your initial reaction should be why is Peacock even part of this discussion since it is an over-the-top, direct-to-consumer streaming service," LightShed Partners wrote. "You do not need YouTube TV nor any MVPD/vMVPD [Multichannel Video Programming Distributor] service to get Peacock—it is $5/month with ads and $10/month without ads via iOS/Android, tvOS, etc... The whole point of DTC streaming is you do NOT need the legacy multichannel bundle."
Yeah fuck that. Peacock is shit and NBCU needs to fuck off with this legacy cable play.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't know much about Peacock's new exclusive content, but I think Peacock has a lot of great older stuff available. That said, this isn't surprising, nor is it just NBC doing stuff like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Too many streaming platforms. This is one case where I hope the free market obliterates worthless ones like Peacock!

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
it's exactly what the article says -- that users would be paying twice for the same set of NBC content, since they would get it through both youtube TV and through peacock

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I guess that's one way to get people to pay for your streaming service.

Side note, I'm planning on buying a month for Halloween Kills. But I'll definitely be cancelling after that.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Peacock is absolute fucking trash and if I wasn't forced to use it for Premier League matches I'd never touch it again. Just a terrible experience on my Xfinity box.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like the death throes before a complete shutdown. Only a matter of time until the Disney aquisition.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
NBC's streaming service. Has The Office and Everyone Loves Raymond. Halloween Kills will be on there day and date with theater release. Other stuff.
How and why does it have Raymond? It was co-produced by Warner via an HBO subsidiary, and was distributed by and aired on CBS. You'd think it would land on Max or Paramount+, unless NBC was desperate to not just be "The Office+", and overpaid.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking to peacock I thought the first season of Saved by the Bell was really good. So few good comedies made these days and I thought this was pretty solid.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I still can't believe they went with Peacock.

I watched it for 80s Punky Brewster (reboot sucked), will watch Halloween Kills on it, and then go back to ignoring it.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
we're living in the golden age of streaming. I fear a future where ala carte goes away due to packaging agreements with shared revenue and it's just cable tv all over again

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm gonna go ahead and guess there won't be a deal made tomorrow if that's the case and I'm losing the channels I watch most. Cool.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
we're living in the golden age of streaming. I fear a future where ala carte goes away due to packaging agreements with shared revenue and it's just cable tv all over again
It's clear the market isn't big enough to support every one of these services. At this point, things either consolidate through package agreements like this, or they consolidate through companies selling streaming rights or, at worst, being out-and-out acquired.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
This anger over carriage rights is what some customers were hoping to avoid with the rise of these streaming services. This was one of the worst aspects of subscribing to cable in the old days. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
How and why does it have Raymond? It was co-produced by Warner via an HBO subsidiary, and was distributed by and aired on CBS. You'd think it would land on Max or Paramount+, unless NBC was desperate to not just be "The Office+", and overpaid.

NBC has a non-exclusive licensing deal with Viacom CBS to bring their content on Peacock. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/nbc...kes-licensing-deal-for-viacomcbs-content.html

A lot of the other stuff on Peacock is licensed from elsewhere too (like Modern Family, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares). Having to rely on others to pad out their library is a sign their business model isn't sustainable in the long term IMO.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's a good play for exposure since no one cares about Peacock, and the youtube tv subscribers would help, but them forcing paying for it...eesh.

Shouldda just charged google a penny so you can still tell shareholders you grew subscriptions by X amount and brag about an arbitrary puffed up stat (Biggest streaming service thats a bundle

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i haven't loaded up the app in ages. recently been on a netflix/hbo tear.

shit really hits the fan when they start cracking down on people's accounts, restricting parasites like myself.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NBC needs a serious shakeup in their leadership. They have tons of value but have no clue how to appeal to the younger generations.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
NBC has a non-exclusive licensing deal with Viacom CBS to bring their content on Peacock. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/nbc...kes-licensing-deal-for-viacomcbs-content.html

A lot of the other stuff on Peacock is licensed from elsewhere too (like Modern Family, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares). Having to rely on others to pad out their library is a sign their business model isn't sustainable in the long term IMO.

surprised that Disney isn't keeping modern family on Hulu or something.