• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

The 1992 Olympics in Barcelona had the Dream Team. The 2008 Olympics in Beijing had the Michael Phelps medal sweep. The Tokyo Olympics has a pandemic.

That has been the greatest challenge for NBCUniversal, the company that paid more than $1 billion to run 7,000 hours of games coverage across two broadcast networks, six cable channels and a fledgling streaming platform, Peacock.

The ratings have been a disappointment, averaging 16.8 million viewers a night through Tuesday, a steep drop from the 29 million who tuned in through the same day of the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016.

NBCUniversal has offered to make up for the smaller than expected television audience by offering free ads to some companies that bought commercial time during the games, according to four people with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss negotiations.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I know a lot of people who would love to watch it. But they don't wanna have to get other people's cable info to watch nbc sports. Peacock has shit.

So they just don't watch it at all.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Why paywall the olympics, I'm just catching a stream man.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell what is live and what isn't without using google. The NBC Olympics website has been the only usable part of the whole situation.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
NBC's own morning news can't play Olympic footage because it all gets saved for the Today Show. It's embarrassing to watch and infuriating to try to follow.

Hard to care about it with the exponential growth of covid in tokyo going on too.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
How about just showing the Olympics kind of like C-SPAN, as in generally without commentary but showing everything?

Remember, we live in a time where we aren't allowed to see the IIHF games in the US at all without a cable subscription of some sort. Basically every other country but the US is allowed to show all of the games straight through Youtube with no issues.

NBC and their coverage is sadly just one part of how fucked it is that the US covers sports and competitions in general.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Have no idea where the live events you wanna are in a easy way. Then just to realize you need USA network to watch those not on the channels. Then, Peacock's Olympics page is pure shit.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck NBC.

Give me live shit with minimal/no commentary and I'd pay to watch.

Old reruns? Packed with sob stories? Fuck off

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I have like 4 different channels for coverage. it's been a bit confusing but I'm not lacking for content

Last edited:

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
Gotta say I'm usually pretty psyched to watch 2 weeks of my favorite Olympic events but this year I just haven't felt compelled to watch it. No offense to the amazing athletes but the last year and a half have just been way too real and my enthusiasm has been severely dampened.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
The NBC sports app that half the content uses on the Xfinity DVR is straight garbage. For the first 3 days or so of the olympics it wouln't load at all. They work most of the time now, but they just run 8 hour streams for a lot of stuff (like sailing) so it will just be a shot of the harbor without anything going on for an hour at a time.

PS: Watch olympic sailing

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's what you get with sticking to a tv focused model in 2021. The relative lack of spectacle is certainly a significant factor but the main thing is just how hard it is to watch anything. When people are steadily cutting cable you have to follow them or your numbers are going to struggle. It has a multiplicative effect too, the fewer people that are able to watch it easily, the fewer people there are talking about it which draws in fewer low interest viewers.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
How about just showing the Olympics kind of like C-SPAN, as in generally without commentary but showing everything?

Remember, we live in a time where we aren't allowed to see the IIHF games in the US at all without a cable subscription of some sort. Basically every other country but the US is allowed to show all of the games straight through Youtube with no issues.

NBC and their coverage is sadly just one part of how fucked it is that the US covers sports and competitions in general.
This is pretty much what nbcolympics.com is. Just ignore the channel broadcast unless you know they are live and go straight to the sport. You have to login with a cable or streaming subscription though.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watching it exclusively off their website has been fine, but I only use the event streams, not any of their main channel broadcasts which I assume are pretty shit.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last night would been prefect to show USA basketball, except they were showing some taped delay stuff instead.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There's no excuse for Peacock to not stream every single event live.
This is imo the most baffling decision of their entire coverage operation. They've got this fledgling new streaming platform they want to perform, they have the Olympics — why not stream everything on Peacock! I do not get it.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i found a channel in my country that it displays everything that the country is currently playing, if there's more than one sport they divide the screen or they select the most popular or that has more chances. i watch on my notebok pic in pic while i play something or do other stuff
best way for me so i dont have to bother searching when or where,

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
1) They refuse to let people know when things will air live.
2) The hiding of basketball and other sports on Peacock was a disastrous decision because it comes off as shady.
3) Figuring out when anything is going to air is a chore.

For the average viewer, it's a complete mess.

This is imo the most baffling decision of their entire coverage operation. They've got this fledgling new streaming platform they want to perform, they have the Olympics — why not stream everything on Peacock! I do not get it.

Because they can charge way more for ad time on network TV. I'm almost positive this is the reason.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I forgot how fucking annoying repetitive advertisements can be. The dark selfies iphone ad and the costume party from t-mobile can DIAF. And, no, I am not buying a Toyota just because they flooded someone's house.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The coverage is stuck in some sort of middle ground hellscape between making everything easily available and trying to do their typical 'Primetime' show that's all tape delayed stuff.

The problem is that the 'Primetime' show is mostly events with Americans that have had the outcomes spoiled, even though some stuff during that timeslot could be shown live instead.

Then the streaming is a jumbled mess of highlights, replays, 'featured' feeds, etc. It has a lot of stuff there (in fact maybe most everything), but the organization is a mess. Doesn't help that it's really confusing as to where you can watch what.

NBCSN has been okay at least, I mean it's showing the 50k speed walk right now which is hardly the most popular sport...

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Also forcing some of the athletes to try and talk to their family through Microsoft Teams for whatever amount of time they had to keep that logo on screen was embarrassing.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe I'd like to see a full event, hell maybe the chance to see a whole event live without having to bust out a fucking day planner. Maybe having event footage superseded by a fucking ad isn't enjoyable.

Maybe watching the olympics should be more than watching a god damn clip show.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
i dunno, maybe because my phone dings all the time and tells me what happened before it airs? Maybe they need to invest in olympic CHANNELS, and just air everything live on those, while doing whatever bullshit they want to do with primetime on primetime channels.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've just been watching NBC OTA every night and on weekends. That is more than enough Olympics for me, and I see most if not all what I want to.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
The answer is so obvious. Stream every event and let the viewers pick which ones they want to watch. The next Olympics that Facebook gets exclusive rights to or whatever will do this and make a billion dollars.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Social media keeps telling me who wins 12 hours before I can watch a prerecorded event. No point if I can't watch live. Even so I am DVRing and streaming stuff and figuring where I can watch what is confusing as hell

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's confusing to try and find out where to watch things, and secondly fan-less sporting events simply draw lower TV ratings, we've seen that with virtually every other major sports league, not sure why the Olympics were going to be different.

Also in this day and age let people watch things freaking live. Tape delay like we're living in the 1980s isn't going to fly.

The IOC should have set aside a "group" of several thousand professional "cheer" crowds who are fully vaccinated and regularly tested to come in and fill some of the empty seats if possible.

Einhander

Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I think it's been great. On Comcast you can access tons of live events by using the Infinity remote. It'll then stream the the cast after an advertisement.

It's been a well used feature and allowed me to watch games I'd normally miss, I feel it wasn't marketed well at all though.

Hated watching the Primetime recap of events, too many commercials and too much hype of American athletes and pumped up drama. Maybe that's the format that put people off?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Having a paywall behind the Olympics seems insane to me.
Here in Japan you can watch everything live on TV (the main public channels split the content), or you can watch all the live streams and ALL the events archived with either JP or EN commentators on the NHK website, again, for free and without any need to register. Many events don't have JP commentators but all the stuff I've watched had EN ones. I imagine they limit the JP ones to the stuff that has been aired on the NHK channels.

Also, NHK doesn't have advertising at all, it's pretty great.

I wonder if the page is region-locked :

sports.nhk.or.jp

NHK北京オリンピックサイト~Beijing 2022

NHKの北京オリンピック特設サイトです。オリンピックの日程・結果、動画などを掲載しています。大会期間中はライブストリーミングや試合の速報など、オリンピックの「今」をお届けします。

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
For all the complaints about what to watch where, and the streaming format, I really think the problem is Covid.

It really just sapped the steam out of this year's olympics: a year delay, plus rumors of maybe further delays or cancellations right up until the games actually started. Empty stadiums, reports of infections, and on and on.

It just doesn't have that triumphant feeling that it would in a normal Olympic cycle. I think people actually just aren't as interested as they would be if things were "normal".

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It has been an unbelievable shit show. I feel like the streaming aspect is worse than Beijing and that was 13 years ago. If you're a cord-cutter, you flat out cannot watch outside of OTA local NBC affiliates. Half the stuff isn't even live and nothing is what it claims to be; this channel says it has equestrian, but it's beach volleyball. Meanwhile over on diving we have race walking. And if you're going to paywall things on Peacock, at least put out full event replays for everything, not 3 minutes of highlights showing fuck all. The incompetence on display has been staggering.

For all the complaints about what to watch where, and the streaming format, I really think the problem is Covid.

It really just sapped the steam out of this year's olympics: a year delay, plus rumors of maybe further delays or cancellations right up until the games actually started. Empty stadiums, reports of infections, and on and on.

It just doesn't have that triumphant feeling that it would in a normal Olympic cycle. I think people actually just aren't as interested as they would be if things were "normal".

Also this.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its too fucking hard to watch. they stop in the middle of a sport and switch to a new one before its over. the channels arent labled properly with what sport is currently on. peacock app? its clips with spoilers in the titles, and a burden to navigate. i dont have cable so i cant watch on the nbcolympics site.

it should be easy to have an olympics hub for anybody to watch in a format like Twitch with a Tennis category, a Swimming category, Archery, Track, Field, etc categories and individual match streams within, but they just have to make it complicated because money. i was looking forward to watching but had to give up because of the maze of shit i have to wade through. it's bad enough that its late at night, and i dont blame anybody for that aspect. i just need it to be easy to watch full reruns, not clips, without event swapping.

flipping through the channels should be an olympic sport on its own. you need so much training to do it

Oct 27, 2017
I have an Olympics channel. It plays mostly reruns though it did have tennis and wrestling live.

The way usa, cnbc, nbcsn dipped in and out of live and packaged, you never knew what to look forward to.