• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Yeah, their shit is just tired to me. I logged in the other day and saw they dropped new seasons of the Naked Director and Beastars, which I should be excited for because I loved the 1st seasons. I'm just not. Naked director had a totally fine ending in season 1. I watched the first 5 minutes of the new Beastars and they, of course, didn't carry over the excellent 1st season OP and I just couldn't care less.

Contrast this with Loki, which I made time for to watch every Wednesday night.

Idk, that combined with their most popular "Top 10" shows movies always being trash. I really should just unsubscribe, but then where would my daughter be able to watch True and the Rainbow Kingdom?
So you're mad at Netflix because they renewed a great show for a second season and because they changed the OP of an anime ? Okay.

This thread is something else.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You stop right there! The Fear Street Trilogy was AMAZING!

I really liked it :)
Only watched up to the second one but I really struggle to figure out how those movies are two goddamn hours long. The second one had 45 minutes of brain fucking dead character and plot development before people started getting axes in the face.

I will grant the kills are rad.

But we do not need to waste two hours on these movies, and we certainly don't need to waste 45 minutes watching generic characters say and do generic things before we get to the good stuff.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Only watched up to the second one but I really struggle to figure out how those movies are two goddamn hours long. The second one had 45 minutes of brain fucking dead character and plot development before people started getting axes in the face.

I will grant the kills are rad.

But we do not need to waste two hours on these movies, and we certainly don't need to waste 45 minutes watching generic characters say and do generic things before we get to the good stuff.

If you watched these movies just to see a maximum amount of kills and the gore, maybe I could understand your position?

But to me the story and characters were VERY compelling, and the way they weaved the mystery throughout all three movies was very fun.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're mad at Netflix because they renewed a great show for a second season and because they changed the OP of an anime ? Okay.

This isn't even a Netflix decision. It's commonplace in like 95% of anime series. Anime that continue to use the exact same opening season after season are fairly rare. Even HxH that reused the same song changes the visuals with every major arc.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Kill the high price tier for 4k streams. Their competitors just stream the best version available and don't charge you extra for 4k or HDR. I dropped my sub when the price went up to 18€ a month. I will only resub occasionally to watch specific shows and unsub again.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Netflix's value proposition is worse than it used to be. The price hike this year has put it in the range where I'm going to cancel it and just reactivate when something good drops.

Disney+ has been killing it with exclusive content, what does Netflix have? Stranger Things, Dragon Prince, and...?
Sweet Tooth, Queen's Gambit, Bridgerton, Fear Street, Dark, The Witcher, Ozark, Mindhunter.....like are you being serious? What is Disney "killing" it with?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Netflix still feels like it has the most popular originals compared to other streamers. Like, generally speaking, outside of the SW/MCU stuff on D+ the only streaming shows I hear about are the Netflix ones with occasional pop-ins from Hulu or Amazon. I think enough people have Netflix that it's kinda of the broadcast TV of streamers (broadcast tv from the early days of cable).

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Netflix is the only one I wouldn't cancel, they consistently put up stuff I want to see, both licenced and original.

Also, some their original shows not from US are really amazing.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is just more competition now. Netflix lost the Office and Friends a while ago. Disney + also hurt as Netflix lost the Disney/Marvel films.

Netflix should be fine, they just won't dominate the market like they used to.

Oct 30, 2017
This thread for me checking my bill since Netflix has been part of that autopay set it and forget it stuff for so long, but geez I totally didn't realize that after tax it's costs over $20 a month for the 4K support!

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started Netflix way back in 2007 when they start streaming Tv and movies, it's kind of hard for me to let go of it. Currently love watching their true crime stuff. (RIPPER and Night Stalker)

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I always find it odd that netflix releases these "what's coming this month' trailers on youtube, but then they don't put that video up on their own service. We're just expected to stumble into the content in the app.

They have a specific section in the tv apps that highlight new stuff coming in the next two weeks and beyond and you can bookmark them so that they automatically add to your queue upon release.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
There is just more competition now. Netflix lost the Office and Friends a while ago. Disney + also hurt as Netflix lost the Disney/Marvel films.

Netflix should be fine, they just won't dominate the market like they used to.
You realize they gained subs overall right? They only lost some in the US and Canada which isn't unusual since they had a record year during the pandemic.

They still have double the number of subs than their next closest competitor Disney: 200+ millions vs 100+ million. So yes, they'll be fine and they're still dominating. Disney will never be pumping out the amount of content that Netflix does.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't get the "pointless" to watch a show comments. If all of you are doing this, you're actively decreasing a shows probability of getting another season...

There's never a guarantee that a show will be renewed. Some of the greatest shows get cancelled (RIP Freaks and Geeks)
It makes plenty of sense and it's not the first time it has happened. Fox was notorious for cancelling shows before even giving them a chance and it got to the point where they got that reputation. So people stopped starting shows knowing that the probability was a lot higher on Fox that the show would get cancelled. The same thing is happening here. When ones time is important to them and knowing that a show has a higher chance of not giving you a complete story, one will devote their time elsewhere. It's not like Netflix is the only place with shows these days. There's never a guarantee that a show will be renewed like you said, but when you look at their renewal rate, they have way less longer running shows than other networks do in their history during the same time period.

I've said for awhile that I think Netflix is at risk at gaining this reputation with their behavior of how they handle shows, and I think that reputation is growing. That's not to say that Netflix is doomed or anything, but when there are more options out there and you have that rep, people will start to look elsewhere as a result and I do believe that reputation will make them lose not an insignificant number of subscribers over time if they continue the path that they choose while prioritizing quantity and costs over all else.

Last edited:

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
This thread helped me cancel. I'll probably get it back and some point for a month or two for stuff like The Witcher. Wasn't using it enough and too expensive.

RIP The OA

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The horrendous autoplay that you can't switch off and inferior image quality compared to Apple TV+ and Disney+ have tempted me to cancel a few times.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The horrendous autoplay that you can't switch off and inferior image quality compared to Apple TV+ and Disney+ have tempted me to cancel a few times.

How to turn autoplay previews on or off

You can change this setting in the Netflix app on mobile devices by tapping My Netflix, your profile icon, and then Manage Profiles. Or, using a web browser, go to netflix.com/profiles/manage and click the box next to Autoplay previews.

:p

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
So the number of subscribers still grew worldwide this past quarter, that's a plus.

I've not been watching much Netflix this past year or so, but I can't bring myself to unsubscribe because I know they can still release out of nowhere some great content, particularly TV shows and comedy specials.

So even if nowadays they are focusing more on quantity rather than quality, I like that they are giving work to lots of creators.

I just wish they weren't so fast in cancelling their shows, Glow and Santa Clarita Diet not having a proper ending still bums me out.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't know if I would continue with Netflix if I had to pay for it due to how costly it is (thanks Dad!). There's a lot of content on there that is really good but not a lot of content I'd like to watch, if that makes sense. Netflix made some of my favorites like Bojack and She-Ra but the things that feel like the closest spiritual successors (Tuca and Bertie, The Owl House) are on other platforms and nothing new that they've made has really grabbed me. I did like Sweet Tooth though.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It makes plenty of sense and it's not the first time it has happened. Fox was notorious for cancelling shows before even giving them a chance and it got to the point where they got that reputation. So people stopped starting shows knowing that the probability was a lot higher on Fox that the show would get cancelled. The same thing is happening here. When ones time is important to them and knowing that a show has a higher chance of not giving you a complete story, one will devote their time elsewhere. It's not like Netflix is the only place with shows these days. There's never a guarantee that a show will be renewed like you said, but when you look at their renewal rate, they have way less longer running shows than other networks do in their history.

I've said for awhile that I think Netflix is at risk at gaining this reputation with their behavior of how they handle shows, and I think that reputation is growing. That's not to say that Netflix is doomed or anything, but when there are more options out there and you have that rep, people will start to look elsewhere as a result and I do believe that reputation will make them lose not an insignificant number of subscribers over time if they continue the path that they choose while prioritizing quantity and costs over all else.

Yep. I'll devote my time to Loki and similar shows because I know they'll wrap up the story either in one season or in the future. I have zero confidence Netflix shows won't end a season on a cliffhanger and just never resolve it. I get that this is a concern with any show, but I also think it's a significantly bigger problem right now with Netflix compared to other services (i.e. Disney, HBO, etc.). I hate having to google a show to see if it ends on a cliffhanger because it inevitably spoils the story.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
So the number of subscribers still grew worldwide this past quarter, that's a plus.

I've not been watching much Netflix this past year or so, but I can't bring myself to unsubscribe because I know they can still release out of nowhere some great content, particularly TV shows and comedy specials.

So even if nowadays they are focusing more on quantity rather than quality, I like that they are giving work to lots of creators.

I just wish they weren't so fast in cancelling their shows, Glow and Santa Clarita Diet not having a proper ending still bums me out.
Aren't many rivals internationally due to rights being held all over the place, including some Netflix bought. For example in the U.K., Sky have HBO on lock and Paramount big shows are divided between Amazon and Netflix.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I don't understand people who care that the OP got changed. Like S1 OP? Watch it any time you want. New OPs and EDs are pretty standard for anime per 12-13 episodes. Honestly I hate it when shows don't change the OP. Hunter X Hunter 2011's OP song was awful and having to hear it for that many episodes sucked.

I think that sentiment downplays the importance of an OP. The OP can be the hook that draws you into a show. For me, there are shows I wouldn't have thought to try out but the OP is so good it get's you hyped for what's about to happen. A great OP isn't just the song, it's what the animators are telling you about the tone/setting/characters/story arcs of the show. If they're really good, then they can sneak in a ton of spoilers for the season with the viewer being none the wiser.

Whatever, sorry for the derail.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I mean, this isn't all that surprising. The market will someday reach saturation, especially as more services join the fray. Plus, growth will start to slow down far before we hit that point.

Plus, I think we're going to start seeing the ebb and flow of people cancelling/subscribing to different services as shows of interest get released. The days of just permanently subscribing to several services won't last forever.

Oct 27, 2017
Re: the contents of the CNET article, I hate how this works. Netflix beat the forecast for the third quarter 1.5m to 1.1m; they increased profit (if I read it correctly) by 180% YOY; overall they are doing better - but since it's not as better, everyone goes WAHH so the stock price dips and they can make money off their own bullshit.

I'm not a finance guy so please correct me if I misunderstood.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how big of a factor is Netflix cancelling shows and leaving them on a cliffhanger.

Who wants to invest in a show that wil get abandoned partway through?

We got into Altered Carbon and they just dropped it.

Nov 8, 2017
Netflix still has plenty of quality content- the problem with Netflix and most other streaming services is the horrible interface that makes browsing a mind-numbing, fruitless experience. A scroll page of a dozen titles that often duplicate under weirdly specific genre listings bring up, like, one percent of their offerings.

Also bring back the star-rating system so I can get accurate recommendations, ffs

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this why they're sitting on Seinfeld for so long? Are they hoping it will lead to some massive 4th quarter surge in subscriptions?

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017

Did I say I was mad? Because I'm pretty sure I said I couldn't care about their latest drops. I'm saying that even the shows I should care about, I don't. It's indicative of the lack of quality I've come to expect from Netflix. I think the only show I care about continuing is The Witcher, and if I'm being honest, the first season was such a mess that only my fandom for the material helped me get through the season. I really, really hope the upped the effects budget, because woof.

Way of the Househusband should be a mega hit for them. I was super hyped they picked it up to make an anime with. But....god, just look what they've done to my boy. Why did they even fucking bother?

Japan Sinks, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045, the last season of Saiki K.

They're throwing money at the right properties and creators, but it's like they're not supervising quality at all. That's fine if you love the service. But I'm getting tired of keeping a subscription for a total crapshoot of a service.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did I say I was mad? Because I'm pretty sure I said I couldn't care about their latest drops. I'm saying that even the shows I should care about, I don't. It's indicative of the lack of quality I've come to expect from Netflix. I think the only show I care about continuing is The Witcher, and if I'm being honest, the first season was such a mess that only my fandom for the material helped me get through the season. I really, really hope the upped the effects budget, because woof.

Way of the Househusband should be a mega hit for them. I was super hyped they picked it up to make an anime with. But....god, just look what they've done to my boy. Why did they even fucking bother?

Japan Sinks, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045, the last season of Saiki K.

They're throwing money at the right properties and creators, but it's like they're not supervising quality at all. That's fine if you love the service. But I'm getting tired of keeping a subscription for a total crapshoot of a service.

Just pointing out that many of your complaints are unrelated to Netflix itself. For example Way of the House Husband was made to look like a motion comic on purpose as per the producer. Netflix was not why that show turned out the way it did anymore than Beastars season 2 getting a new OP.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris

Okay, but you were saying that you dropped Beastars because they changed the OP. Now you're looking for quality content ? well Beastars season 2 is quality content, but you don't care anymore about quality because they changed the OP. So what are you looking for exactly ?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Maybe if Netflix stopped fucking cancelling everything after a season or two they'd have more subscribers.

Like how is it such a hard idea for enterainment companies to understand that if you have a propety that has a dedicated fanbase, that is pulling a profit. You should leave it the fuck alone. Its one thing if the show bombs or loses money, but if its turning a profit still your just going to piss off your subscriber base and make them more likely to jump ship.

When SyFy Cancelled The Expance, I ended up dropping them like a brick and never looked back to follow the show to Amazon. And then while I was on Prime Video watching The Expanse, I got into other Amazon Shows because I was already in the app, because I was watching The Expanse. Something I wouldn't have done if I wasn't actively looking at Amazon while waiting for the episodes of The Expanse to come out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
México
It all comes down to pricing.

This month (July 2021) I cancelled my subscription for the first time since 2011 (year it was released here in my region). I paid Netflix uninterruptedly for 10 years straight, and I don't have anything against the content; I enjoy their content, and I find the interface to be good.

But I don't feel comfortable anymore with their pricing. Every other service is cheaper and offers 4K and stuff like that. I felt like I was being robbed every month paying for the service. It's just too expensive now.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
They have some great international content but that seems to not resonate that much in USA?

From my side I still love how much content there is from all over the globe but the quality is really average, has been very long since any show on Netflix has been a must watch and not just fun to binge while doing other stuff.

There is some stuff they are working on that looks exciting but they really need a hit.
IMO if you're a fan a foreign films HBO Max easily has Netflix beat.

Maybe if Netflix stopped fucking cancelling everything after a season or two they'd have more subscribers.

Like how is it such a hard idea for enterainment companies to understand that if you have a propety that has a dedicated fanbase, that is pulling a profit. You should leave it the fuck alone. Its one thing if the show bombs or loses money, but if its turning a profit still your just going to piss off your subscriber base and make them more likely to jump ship.

When SyFy Cancelled The Expance, I ended up dropping them like a rock and never looked back to follow the show to Amazon. And then while I was on Prime Video watching The Expanse, I got into other Amazon Shows because I was already in the app, because I was watching The Expanse. Something I wouldn't have done if I wasn't actively looking at Amazon while waiting for the episodes of The Expanse to come out.
How am I supposed to have confidence in any new show Netflix is launching when it's so likely that it'll end up cancelled and I'll get no resolution to the plot? Like that Jupiter show got cancelled almost as soon as it released, that doesn't instill confidence in the platform.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they want to cancel Sweet Tooth as well even though it did really well. It's a Warner Bros production that Netflix is airing and not a Netflix Original. You can tell they weren't promoting it at all and just dumped it but for some reason it did take off. And now they're like "Shit this actually did well."

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It kind of sucks that all these competitors came in and grabbed all their stuff. This resulted in all that Netflix money that was sunk into five new Marvel series to just sort of go limp as they had to shift gears once Disney pulled the rug out. They have to try to compete with all originals now because everyone is taking their stuff back.

This also means they need to compete better price wise.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
In my research for the Mike Flanagan thread, when came the time to talk about Gerald's Game, I stumbled upon an interview where Flanagan expressed what it was to work with Netflix and what they consider to be a 'success' for their service. I think it might be relevant to this thread to understand what can drive Netflix's decision to cancel something or not.

Mike Flanagan about how it was to make a film with Netflix as a partner:
"Netflix was at that point of their explosion and had the means to do a lot of stuff, and were not afraid to take risks like that. They were, 'Sure! Do it the way you want to do it.' They figured it would appeal to a slice of their membership, and that was all they needed to justify the expense of making it. And it turned out after the fact that it appealed to a much broader slice of that viewership that they anticipated, and that's how they measure success. They aren't measuring it by advertisement dollars or box office. It's a whole different way of gauging whether a film is worth it, worth the expense, and whether it's successful at the end of the day. It was a very different experience. And it started a relationship between myself and my producer and partner Trevor Macy at Intrepid and Netflix. A relationship that took over the several next years of our lives, and will continue for the foreseeable future."

They kind of approach the whole thing so differently than anybody else. But It doesn't make it better when a show we love is canceled, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I'm pretty sure they want to cancel Sweet Tooth as well even though it did really well. It's a Warner Bros production that Netflix is airing and not a Netflix Original. You can tell they weren't promoting it at all and just dumped it but for some reason it did take off. And now they're like "Shit this actually did well."
Lol ok it was promoted all over here.

But sure, Netflix is going to cancel one of their most successful tv show of the year for no reason at all.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They're not cutting prices.

They just got more competition.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Over the years Netflix has had a lot of really good shows. Nearly all of them were canceled. I stopped supporting them years ago because of this. Now I just go with HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Amazon Prime.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They are putting billions into establishing a content catalogue that can hold its own against the competition. But cancelled shows don't have any appeal for any demographic. I don't get why they don't try to conclude more shows in 3 seasons instead of having dozens of cliffhangers.

They also tend to devalue the content with stars that they have. A lot of the stuff with big names is disappointing - so much that it's not what brings you to them anymore.

It's gonna be interesting once the next big projects of them surface. Will One Piece Flop it will it be a cultural phenomenon? Is Magic the Gathering gonna be a great adaptation? How about Sandman?

And most important of course - when is the next project gonna happen that reaches me in a way Bojack did?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a lot of this normalizing after the insane amount of new subscribers they got during the pandemic?

Trundl_e

Jan 30, 2021
I still can't believe that they cancelled American Vandal after only 2 seasons. It was so well regarded.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
IMO if you're a fan a foreign films HBO Max easily has Netflix beat.

Isn't HBO Max's foreign films just from a deal with Criterion Channel for some of their catalog + Ghibli?

Criterion is the best for foreign films (to me) but a lot of stuff is also on Tubi and Kanopy, which are free.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a lot of this normalizing after the insane amount of new subscribers they got during the pandemic?

I definitely think this has a lot to do with it. I still think they have a lot of issues that are going to cause them to erode their user base over the long term if they continue doing what they currently are, but I think right now a lot of the losses can be attributed to course correction based off of last year. The easiest thing to do would to look at what was the projected growth was supposed to be in 2020, see how much they surpassed it and then look to see where this loss lands them.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Netflix is on rotation. If they have some good stuff I will subscribe, but at this point we just cycle streaming in and out. My wife and I each have one of our (YouTube, Hulu) own and a joint (whatever) one comes in one goes out. Not going to just blindly have them always available. Seeing that we go months without a watching it sometimes.