• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
SAN RAMON, Calif. - Netflix delivered its latest quarter of disappointing subscriber growth during the final three months of last year, a trend that management foresees continuing into the new year as tougher competition is undercutting the video streaming leader.

The Los Gatos, California, company added 8.3 million worldwide subscribers during the October-December period, about 200,000 fewer than management had forecast. Besides releasing its fourth-quarter results Thursday, Netflix also projected an increase of 2.5 million subscribers during the first three months of this year, well below analysts' expectations for a gain of 4 million, according to FactSet Research.

The disappointing news caused Netflix's stock price to plunge by more than 19% in extended trading after the numbers came out, deepening a steep decline during the past two months.

It capped a challenging year for Netflix after it reveled in eye-popping gains during the pandemic lockdowns of 2020 that drove homebound people to its service.

Netflix picked up 18.2 million worldwide subscribers during 2021, its slowest pace of annual growth in five years. It came after Netflix gained more than 36 million subscribers during 2020. The service now boasts nearly 222 million worldwide subscribers worldwide, more than other video streaming leader.

But other services backed by deep-pocketed rivals such as Walt Disney Co. and Apple have been making inroads in recent years and a bevy of other networks also are wading into video streaming in an attempt to grab eyeballs and a piece of household budgets. The escalating competition is one reason Netflix decided to expand into video games last year.

While acknowledging the competition is having a "marginal" effects on its growth in its quarterly shareholder letter, Netflix emphasized its service is still thriving in every country where it's available.

Investors, though, are getting more worried that Netflix may be nearing its peak in popularity. Those concerns have caused Netflix's stock price to plummet by more than 30% from its peak of roughly $700 reached in mid-November.

Maybe don't increase monthly costs by 10%+ as well, Netflix....

www.ctvnews.ca

Netflix stock plunges as subscriber growth worries deepen

Netflix delivered its latest quarter of disappointing subscriber growth during the final three months of last year, a trend that management foresees continuing into the new year as tougher competition is undercutting the video streaming leader.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I mean do you plan to have the whole planet subscribed? Wtf. Keep a sustainable business.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
All these companies that had huge pandemic gains and unrealistic future expectations (i.e. Peloton, Zoom, Netflix) are seeing their stock price return to normal after being super overvalued

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last new great show they released. I miss the days when they had shit like dark and mindhunter. For me now only old shows like ozark and narcos are keeping me subbed.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf. Keep a sustainable business.
5054-m.webp

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last new great show they released. I miss the days when they had shit like dark and mindhunter. For me now only old shows like ozark and narcos are keeping me subbed.
Obviously this is subjective but Squid Game was a giant hit and well received critically so it's not like there's no new content of interest

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I mean do you plan to have the whole planet subscribed? Wtf. Keep a sustainable business.

Unending growth is a fucked up expectation of capitalism, especially in American companies. It's stupid, bad for consumers, bad for businesses, bad for employees but damn is it good for those all important shareholders which is all they care about.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Squid Game was a worldwide sensation and just came out last year.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I love how this is disappointing news that they are only going to add 2.5 new million customers in the next 3 months.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Raising prices and releasing a lot of crap between the few good shows they have. If I am paying premium prices I want premium content, not another bullshot cooking show I. Am g we t anywhere.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Investors: HOLY FUCKING SHIT NETFLIX DIDN'T INCREASE THE SUBSCRIBER COUNT!?!?! EVERYBODY PANIC. THE LARGEST STREAMING PLATFORM IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE DIDN'T GET EVEN BIGGER!?!!?!?!#@$@#

Really brings into perspective just how Stupid Capitalism is sometimes.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
All these companies that had huge pandemic gains and unrealistic future expectations (i.e. Peloton, Zoom, Netflix) are seeing their stock price return to normal after being super overvalued
Zoom deserves some sort of bump because it became a household name overnight. There's value in the name alone.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Investors: HOLY FUCKING SHIT NETFLIX DIDN'T INCREASE THE SUBSCRIBER COUNT!?!?! EVERYBODY PANIC. THE LARGEST STREAMING PLATFORM DIDN'T GET EVEN BIGGER!?!!?!?!#@$@#

Really brings into perspective just how Stupid Capitalism is sometimes.
They did increase it by 8.3 million subscribers in Q4, just "not enough" lol

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Raising prices and releasing a lot of crap between the few good shows they have. If I am paying premium prices I want premium content, not another bullshot cooking show I. Am g we t anywhere.

Let's not forget that BS where they downgraded the highest 4K quality options for a while, claiming not enough resources to maintain the quality due "too much demand". Yet still kept the prices hiked for the higher quality that was downgraded. Motherfuckers...

Oct 25, 2017
Popular doesn't mean it's great. I know it comes down to taste, but I don't think squid game has writing even half as good as aforementioned shows.
I get that, but to the point of the OP about why they seem to be struggling at the moment it seems to have less to do with content and more to do with competition and saturation in the marketplace

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Raised prices,
Constant cancellations,
Increased competition,
Quantity > quality model.

🤷‍♀️ Something's gotta give

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
the capitalist ideal is endless growth baby! yeehaw!!
Netflix is priced as a high growth stock. Companies that are perceived to be high growth companies tend to have a price premium associated with their stock. When companies cease to be growth companies, they simply offer a dividend to keep investors interested.

This is the market reassessing that maybe Netflix's days as a high growth company are coming to an end.

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix pumps out a lot of mediocre to straight up bad shit, and what isn't shit gets cancelled. Don't mind seeing them sweat due to better competition honestly.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever a stock price dips like this nowadays, a voice in the back of my head is whispering that a bigger company might look to snaffle them up on the cheap.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Netflix, I have a good idea if you want to retain subscribers and keep attention on your programming: week-to-week episode releases.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they keep raising the prices and most of their stuff is mediocre. They also seem to have given up on getting decent movies, pretty much every other service has much better films or I just rent the ones I want for 3 bucks.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
On the bright side they are increasing their spending on Korean content.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Netflix to Release 25 Korean Originals in 2022

Following the smash success of 'Squid Game,' the company is expected to easily surpass the half-billion dollars it spent on Korean content in 2021.

That's good. I'm not super impressed with most of the foreign content. Some of it is good, but the budgets are clearly low and I find subtitles frustrating as I'm reading them instead of watching the show. Korean content is the exception for me. The Silent Sea recently was great and I loved Crash Landing on You.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I mean you brought back Emily in Paris and cancel actual good stuff. HBO really upped their game and fed into their subscribers. Netflix movies generally have weird lifetime lighting too.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Movie selection isn't great. They cancel a lot of series. And raise the price.

Netflix went from one of my mainstays that I was ALWAYS subscribed too. To now it's just another streaming service that I subscribe to for awhile binge unsubscribe and subscribe to something else and repeat.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Going from the responses in this thread you would think they lost subscribers.
They actually added 8 million, it just happened to be 200,000 less than the forecast. What a silly world we live in.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Take an axe to original programming and let's get a decent film choice selection. Either way, Netlfix starting to stumble is a great thing.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not eager to return to Netflix after taking a break since they raised the price and still charge more for 4K content.