• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
https://nintendoeverything.com/new-...ring-various-possibilities-for-3ds-successor/

Sourced from an interview done by Kyoto Shimbun

First, Furukawa commented on the Nintendo's objectives. He stated, "In order to make smartphone games a pillar of our company's income, reaching at least 100 billion yen is a must."

Furukawa also said that producing mobile games is "an important business to keep in mind for the future. [Having sales reach at least 100 billion yen] is going to be difficult, a challenge to be sure. We'll keep producing original, creative games to realize that goal, however."

Concerning Switch, Furukawa noted that "the console is still selling well." Nintendo's goal is for everyone to have one.

Furukawa weighed in on 3DS as well. He said that "though it's been around much longer, the 3DS has certain advantages over the Switch such as ease of purchase and the like." Furukawa also commented on a possible successor, saying that Nintendo is "considering various possibilities." However, the statement alone doesn't make it clear how serious the company is when it comes to exploring a new dedicated portable device that follows in 3DS' footsteps.

More is at the link. If this old, or I buried a lead here, I apologize!

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
They want to keep options open, but that doesn't mean a 3DS successor will happen, I think most people agree that Nintendo focusing on one platform is the best.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
I imagine that possibility would be something like a Switch Lite.

No detachable Joy-Cons, no HD rumble, no dock. Lower price, runs every Switch game. Hits the target market they're looking for, without splitting development resources.

Kind of like how the 2DS cut down on key features of the 3DS to lower the price and appeal to kids.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of a single device too much. You start creating successors to the mobile department and the switch losing titles to that is going to suck.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't. Just make Switch 2 and 3 and 4 and so on.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On second thought a Switch lite with better ergonomics sounds awesome.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's 50/50. It's going to happen or not.

Jokes aside even if the reality, they'll obviously consider those different options in research and discussions

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds more like cut down portable only Switch so they sell at those mass market price points than an actual New New 3DS.

Though I'd also take a 3DS that can play games at 480p.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I knew they wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket. Plus the Switch is very expensive for a handheld.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, no, don't. Development teams and streams need to be funneled into a single system. That was the entire point of the huge corporate restructuring and hardware engineering team consolidation circa end of Iwata era.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure do love this new President already. /s

Why why why, just make a Switch Pro or 2. All on one system, I want to know in the back of my mind that all my digital purchases will carry forward throughout the years and I have a permenant library of tons of cool games.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I hope not. The beauty of the Switch is that it consolidates studios output into one console, and said console is a hybrid.

But if they did release a successor, I hope it's like the rumored prototype for that portable Microsoft Surface

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it Nintendo. You have proven for the last 20 years that you cannot support 2 platforms.

Once the tech is there, make a smaller Switch meant to be super portable.

Jan 9, 2018
Should be called Nintendo Lite switch and the commercials are an animated switch click then the lite pops up Next to the name with a light switch being flicked.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Make it auto stereoscopic 3D

For those of you that love glassless 3D like me, can you imagine how games with Switch-level graphics at 720p with improved 3D would look like?

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't care.

The new handheld should be compatible with Switch games, though, with the same performance as Switch in portable mode.

Oct 25, 2017
Removing joy con and docked play seems like it would remove a lot of value and compatibility, I'd think.
Detachable joy con should probably always stay. Promotes multiplayer/sharing the joy. Also can't imagine the dock costs too much.

But, sure, multiple SKUs was part of the plan early on.
They'd obviously run the same games since they mentioned something along those lines before.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine with Pokemon finding the home on the Switch, the "3DS sucessor" will just be a more portable Switch at a cheaper price. That's fit the 3ds role without splitting developmeny sources.

Can the Switch's tech be fit into a smaller form factor, or is the battery gonna be a problem?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering the possibilities doesn't mean shit. It won't happen if they see the Switch fulfilling it's purpose and selling well throughout the years.

C-Ron

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
United States
Nintendo should take a page from how Apple created and marketed the iPhone SE.

Once they make a Switch revision, they could easily repurpose the original Switch into a cheaper, lighter, budget-friendly product.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
3DS is still selling because of its price and existing library, not because of its form factor.

Make a cheaper Switch if you need to, but in a world of the Switch and mobile gaming, there's really no room for a new "in-between" product anymore. Unifying development teams under one platform is big deal for them, and it (theoretically) prevents the gaps in releases that have been a problem since the Wii.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're going to go back to two platforms now that Pokemon has made the switch. Maybe in the future they will, but with the Switch being such a success, it probably won't be any time soon.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
A family of systems was the stated goal/idea before the Switch was ever officially announced. There may end up being some smaller/cheaper Switch model at some point. I think some folks are going to read this as an entirely different platform, but obviously that is never going to happen.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nooo

I hope they don't, having one system to play all their games is best.

For us, sure. For everyone? I dunno, Nintendo has had a lot of success with a product line that's super durable and relatively cheap, for the younger market. Switch is just too spendy and too fancy for that market, and it's a big market.

If they're smart they serve thay market with some kind of Switch offshoot, a Switch Lite or something, sure, rather than a totally distinct product line.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
They've been saying the want the same product running the same games in differnet form factors since NX was is its infancy.

Akin to an Apple line of products.

Switch mini. Believe.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In line with their naming scheme for the 2DS, they'll call it the "Cannot Switch"

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017