• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Its 43% difference in case of xox and ps4pro (also bandwith is 1.5x on xox), so yes in this case it matters. 14tf to 12.5 is 12%, almost impossible to notice.
Currently The extra power of the X doesn't matter and next gen, any differences won't matter either. Purely because devs just haven't got the time/ money/ urge to optimise their multi plat games for each and individual platform.
Yes, there might be a slight difference in 1-2 FPS, sharper this, smoother that, but unless you look closely, you will probably not notice.
Some devs do make the effort and games like RDR2 were a good indication but that was very rare so far. Rage 2 is a big letdown. Not only is the IQ very bad, the extra power of the X is nowhere to be seen.

First party exclusives will be a different story and will take advantage of the full power of next gen consoles.

MS putting in 1-2 more TF in their Future console, just to have the title of the most powerful console again, will most likely not matter at all if the current gen is an indication.

And as you said, we are talking over 40% where next gen we are looking at around 10-15% if at all.

Nov 12, 2017
They gave us a 6 tflops number for the tease.

at the very least we will get a similar number for the Anaconda. there is no way he is announcing the console without a console, without showing any exclusives and without giving any details on the capability of the console.

This is his chance to shine. to take the lead, to beat sony to the punch just like they did at the February reveal last gen. i dont think he is going to waste it with just an announcement video with zero details.
if they are sure (and im sure that at this point they know if) to have the best hardware they will scream about it all over the e3

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, watching the casual sniping in this thread is getting more amusing than the next gen speculation 😂

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The real-world differences between 12 and 14 TF are completely meaningless. Any company would be foolish to bet big on that kind of difference as their marketing strategy.

the marketing strategy will work easily also with less difference...
real world performance is all to be seen

It's true...From a marketing standpoint it doesn't matter how small the difference in power is. Whomever ends up having "The Most Powerful Console On Earth" are going to use that in their marketing. Fanboys and people who don't know that the difference is negligible are going to eat that shit up.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
60CUs
But it's really not that many GPUs. If MS was able to have a 360mm2 chip with 40CUs at 16nm back in 2017 then at 7nm, we should be able to put in 92 CUs on the same die for the same TDP budget. But due to GCN limits, there is no reason to go over 64CUs, which means there is a lot of free space AND thus tdp budget left.

Again, this isnt even counting the massive 35% boost in clockspeeds MS got when going from 28nm to 16nm in addition to doubling CUs. Sony settled for a smallish 15% boost but they didnt have vapor chamber cooling. Both MS and Sony will have some kind of fancy cooling solution that should allow them to have a similar 35% boost in clockspeeds while doubling the CUs. AMD and others have spoken about a 35% increase in performance when going to 7nm, i think we should take their word for it.

1172mhz * 35% = 410mhz. That gets us to 1582 Mhz for the same 64CU die. That gets us 12.9 tflops in a much smaller chip than the one we saw in the X1X. 64 CUs arent even double the Pro CUs. So in theory, if Sony does go for a $399 console, they can easily create the same 320mm2 chip with a Zen2 CPU with 64 CUs at 1229 Mhz without needing to put in any kind vapor chamber cooling solution. That gets us 10 tflops at $399. I think with vapor chamber cooling and a $499 budget they can easily push that to 13-14 tflops.

P.S I think it's perfectly reasonable to be conservative. especially in light of recent Adoredtv leaks. I am just trying to be optimistic to bring some balance into this thread. ;p

but im not talking about differences between two consoles. just the difference between one console running a game at 12 tflops and the same console running the same game at 14 tflops.

60CUs max. You'll need at least 4 CUs disabled for yields if you don't want your SOC costs doubled for a mere 6% compute gain.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
i dont know what more proof people want.....Sony isnt at E3.....AMD is showing navi at E3 ...they could do at Computex instead they showing the day after Microsoft ...and honestly most probably because Anaconda...
Google and Stadia having Navi......Lisa Su..talking about how both Microsoft and Sony will have their sauce..always in the same way......

I think that theres a sort of wishful thinkin from fans of some sort of privilege by Sony...in this.......but honestly everything is a big no over it

I think your glossing over that there could be custom setup on PS5 that is unique to Sony. Especially when it comes to board setup and tech that could be on it specifically for storage.

Mark Cerny is crazy smart and if he got with AMD in building a system, that used a specific technique or unique storage config that helps mitigate load times, and texture streaming then that could infact be unique to their partnership within that. As in maybe the chips themselves are pretty much the same when it comes to xbox/PS5. But the other tech that encompasses that could be unique to them and the partnership that was a rumor in term of Sony themselves funding money for something out of AMD.

XBox will have their own unique design and something that is unique to them that they helped with in collaboration with AMD. There's could be cloud streaming tech using NAVI, and the system surrounding it.

I'll wait until I start trying to connect the dots and make definitive opinions/assumptions and then post them as the truth like some people in here are doing in all this speculation talk.

I trust cerny more than anyone in here, including Phil spencer.

Nov 12, 2017
Currently The extra power of the X doesn't matter and next gen, any differences won't matter either. Purely because devs just haven't got the time/ money/ urge to optimise their multi plat games for each and individual platform.
Yes, there might be a slight difference in 1-2 FPS, sharper this, smoother that, but unless you look closely, you will probably not notice.
Some devs do make the effort and games like RDR2 were a good indication but that was very rare so far. Rage 2 is a big letdown. Not only is the IQ very bad, the extra power of the X is nowhere to be seen.

First party exclusives will be a different story and will take advantage of the full power of next gen consoles.

MS putting in 1-2 more TF in their Future console, just to have the title of the most powerful console again, will most likely not matter at all if the current gen is an indication.

And as you said, we are talking over 40% where next gen we are looking at around 10-15% if at all.
this is some altearnate reality..some people should follow more often DF comparation
cmon....stop it there..if you got 40% advantage you have a better machine and you can see it in MOST comparation

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's true...From a marketing standpoint it doesn't matter how small the difference in power is. Whomever ends up having "The Most Powerful Console On Earth" are going to use that in their marketing. Fanboys and people who don't know that the difference is negligible are going to eat that shit up.

Right. Xboxes are truly flying off shelves.

That one line is good PR but not really a sales driver if it means a more expensive unit.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, we are back into Lockhart being around 7-8 TFs again, at 299?

That when most people in the know are also giving targets around 4-5 TFs for it.

Nov 12, 2017
I think your glossing over that there could be custom setup on PS5 that is unique to Sony. Especially when it comes to board setup and tech that could be on it specifically for storage.

Mark Cerny is crazy smart and if he got with AMD in building a system, that used a specific technique or unique storage config that helps mitigate load times, and texture streaming then that could infact be unique to their partnership within that. As in maybe the chips themselves are pretty much the same when it comes to xbox/PS5. But the other tech that encompasses that could be unique to them and the partnership that was a rumor in term of Sony themselves funding money for something out of AMD.

XBox will have their own unique design and something that is unique to them that they helped with in collaboration with AMD. There's could be cloud streaming tech using NAVI, and the system surrounding it.

I'll wait until I start trying to connect the dots and make definitive opinions/assumptions and then post them as the truth like some people in here are doing in all this speculation talk.

im sure that cerny will got is sauce...but at the opposite of you i think that sony after the ps3 asked him to be very conservative OR balanced (depend on how you want to see the things) both console designed by him show this..i was expecting something like that for the ps4 but the pro for me was a letdown...(on hardware level) what Sony asked him this time is all to be seen. On the other hand we got Panay....this will be his first console not chained to the disastrous og xbox design.....but the X showed what he likes to do ....and we know what Microsoft and Phil will ask him........we know from last e3
My money are on him and his team on multiple level..from the design (aesthetics) to the hw itself..

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
not really. if anything its more crucial now that we are getting a massive 4x jump in resolution next gen compared to only a 2x jump in resolution last gen.

i hope devs stick to checkerboard 4k which should only be a 2x jump from 1080p, but native 4k will become a marketing gimmick next gen with both manufacturers trying to outdo each other. that extra 1.5 tflops will be crucial in rendering those extra pixels.

every tflops matters. 1.5 Navi tflops are basically equivalent to a full PS4 GPU. You can do a lot with 1.5 tflops. MS doubled the resolution with just an extra 1.8 tflops compared to the pro. they only had 40% extra tflops and gave you 100% more pixels than the pro in several games including the all important rdr2.
Don't get me started again on how much I want them to stick with 4K.cb and halve the resolution budget in the process.

The mere thought that a game running on a 10TF/12TF system in 4k.cb will look and perform better than the same game running on a 12/14TF system in native 4k can't be ignored. Then again that more powerful console can also have a 4k.cb mode lol.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60CUs

60CUs max. You'll need at least 4 CUs disabled for yields if you don't want your SOC costs doubled for a mere 6% compute gain.
even better. thats only 1.5x the CUs of X1X on a chip 2.3x smaller. That should allow them to increase the clock speeds even higher than they could before.

the 4chan leak said the PS5 devkit was running at 1.85ghz.

60CU at 1.85Ghz gets us 14.2 tflops.

If Sony cant do it for whatever reason, MS should have no problems hitting 14 tflops.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Right. Xboxes are truly flying off shelves.

That one line is good PR but not really a sales driver if it means a more expensive unit.

I didn't specifically mention Xbox or PlayStation...did I ??? We don't yet know who is actually going to have the more powerful console. Either way, being able to say that will be a powerful marketing tool whether you like it or not. Sony had the power & price advantage at the beginning of this generation, that's what made the PS4 so successful. Once the train got rolling, it was impossible to stop. The beginning of this next-gen is is going to be crucial for both companies, and I think MS learned a very hard lesson last time around.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
this is some altearnate reality..some people should follow more often DF comparation
cmon....stop it there..if you got 40% advantage you have a better machine and you can see it in MOST comparation
Like the DF videos you mean? Where individual scenes get paused, zoomed in 400% and screen to screen show some differences? Slightly better FPS, sharper shadows, less jaggies on a tree miles in the background etc?

Come on, stop right there. Of course there will be minor differences but over 40% worth of them? Yeah, you might want to have another look at the comparison videos.

It's a shame really that devs just don't make the effort to exploit the 40% more, probably due to release date pressure etc and I can't see that changing next gen.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
even better. thats only 1.5x the CUs of X1X on a chip 2.3x smaller. That should allow them to increase the clock speeds even higher than they could before.

If Sony cant do it for whatever reason, MS should have no problems hitting 14 tflops.

This'll be a fun post to revisit when neither console comes close to hitting 14 TF.

It's like the Wii-U speculation threads in here.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Google and Stadia having Navi
Google never said that they are using Navi GPUs.

They said GPU with 10.7 TF, 56 CU and HBM2 memory.

All the rumors for Navi are suggesting that it will have GDDR6 memory and not HBM2 like Vega.

Google probably is using the Radeon Pro V340 for Stadia. It is a datacenter GPU with 2 x 56 CU chips (10.7 TF) and HBM2 memory. The V340 fits perfectly the known specs.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

So which is it, are you holding judgement or are you bias to Sony and Cerny? You've said you'll hold judgement????

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can see it being a 8TF console, if its 399 that is.
Yeah, I just dont see it as a better idea than having one inexpensive console and a premium one to capture the market.

It's not like it will be inferior to the Xbox One X, especially with improved GPU, RAM and CPU.

The only thing it would be inferior in is in flexing teraflops as the current marketing term.

Nov 12, 2017
And statham is a trustworthy insider now?
this isnt about being an insider...is a question that he did......what if Lockhart is 20% less powerful than ps5 and cost 100$ less?
because reading some of the comments that type of difference (if is between ps5 and anaconda) is so little that shouldt toutet by the marketing and is basically meaningless.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
so standing at your point as statham implyed what if lockart is around 20% from ps5 and cost 100$ less...sony should be embarassed to PR the power differences?

marketing work exactly in opposite as you sayng hoo-doo

Imagine if the PS5 is 100$ cheaper than lockhart and 100% more powerful than Anaconda.
That's how stupid this all sounds, people are just handwaiving away economic realities and assume either party is just going to sell everything at a huge loss.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
So I'll be getting my first 4k TV soon, and it'll probably be a 55 inch Samsung Q6FN. It doesn't support Dolby Vision, but it does support HDR 10. From what I've seen the Playstation doesnt really play nice with Dolby Vision. Do you guys think having a TV that only supporta HDR 10 would be a problem for the PS5? The Q6FN also supports FreeSync/VRR. Would that be something that I'd benefit from regarding the PS5?

Nov 12, 2017
Imagine if the PS5 is 100$ cheaper than lockhart and 100% more powerful than Anaconda.
That's how stupid this all sounds, people are just handwaiving away economic realities and assume either party is just going to sell everything at a huge loss.
so how much you expect it to be the power ratio/ price...pls tell me
Lockhart : tf and price
Anaconda: tf and price
Ps5: tf and price

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair he is more trustworthy than 4chan anons and throw-away Reddit accounts.
That's not a fair comparison at all. For all we know, the reddit/4chan/pastebins could very well be true leaks. An anonymous leaker is just that... anonymous, you have no more information on them regarding their motives or anything else.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All the rumors for Navi are suggesting that it will have GDDR6 memory and not HBM2 like Vega.

Google probably is using the Radeon Pro V340 for Stadia. It is a datacenter GPU with 2 x 56 CU chips (10.7 TF) and HBM2 memory. The V340 fits perfectly the known specs.
Huh, I didnt know that.

Maybe the Xbox Cloud GPU will go with HBM too, since we have that patent that points to HBM use.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This'll be a fun post to revisit when neither console comes close to hitting 14 TF.

It's like the Wii-U speculation threads in here.
if you have an issue with the math or my thought process, by all means point out the fallacies. you can go back and read my posts starting from my reply to Duke's post that detailed how much die space the GPU, CPU and ROPs will take up.

are you team 8tflops? 10 or 12? What price point do you think gets us 8 tflops? I think 8.5-10 is in the $399 range, and 12.5-14 tflops can be done at $499 with vapor chamber or a different form of cooling. My assumptions are based on the gonzolo leaks, the adoredtv navi leaks from december, and even the most recent ones from last week, and AMD's own slides that detailed how you get 2x density, 2x power efficiency, 35% extra performance when going to 7nm technology.

so what are you speculations? and why do you think they wont come close to hitting 14 tflops? i am guessing you think they will top out at 8-10 tflops because 12.5 is pretty close to 14.

Nov 12, 2017

bravo...this is very interesting

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

Which rumor was this?

This rumor was posted earlier:

nah it was an old one.

So I came to this conclusion:

So going by this 'leak', and assuming the PS5 will have 64 CUs with 4 disabled (so 60 active CUs), Sony is testing a clock range of 1640 MHz - 1850 MHz.

Going by the Gonzalo rumors, does that sound too unreasonable?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Im going with the assumption that the Xbox Cloud GPU might be a different from the ones used in Anaconda and Lockhart. Maybe it's based on AMD's Navi datacenter GPUs instead.

Although if this happens it could be that cloud streaming for next gen Xbox would launch maybe a few months later than the home consoles... which wouldnt be too bad.

Feb 26, 2018
What if ps5 will be more expensive and less powerful than Lockhart but will have some exclusive premium features like a cupholder and a toaster

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Another way to look at it, with lock and ana on the market same time, MS could have the least powerful AND most expensive console on the market again. Not sure they want that.

I'm still betting ps5 and Ana same price with negligible power difference.

12.9 tf still most believable

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
What if ps5 will be more expensive and less powerful than Lockhart but will have some exclusive premium features like a cupholder and a toaster

I'll take two!

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Im going with the assumption that the Xbox Cloud GPU might be a different from the ones used in Anaconda and Lockhart. Maybe it's based on AMD's Navi datacenter GPUs instead.

Although if this happens it could be that cloud streaming for next gen Xbox would launch maybe a few months later than the home consoles... which wouldnt be too bad.
Microsoft has already announced that this year they will have public testing of Project xCloud.

xCloud is going to be ready before next gen consoles.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Stadia, is
With Stadia in the way, I think they won't delay the cloud streaming service to 2021. Maybe for next-gen titles, but for the old Xbox , 360 and Xbox One titles can be stream ready anytime before the next Xbox home consoles.
Public testing coming, for the older titles. But it is possible that launch next-gen titles might not ready day one for cloud stream.

But they will have PC version on their first party tho.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia, is

With Stadia in the way, I think they won't delay the cloud streaming service to 2021. Maybe for next-gen titles, but for the old Xbox , 360 and Xbox One titles can be stream ready anytime before the next Xbox home consoles.
Yeah, I wasnt referring about streaming games from the last few gens.

Doubt the public testing done this year for xCloud will use the Scarlett server blades, I dont even think it's being produced yet lol. Would also take time to upgrade the servers with the new blades.

Oct 27, 2017
so how much you expect it to be the power ratio/ price...pls tell me
Lockhart : tf and price
Anaconda: tf and price
Ps5: tf and price

Revising Lockhart details:
  • Lockhart - 4.6 TF - 24 CUs @ 1500 - 349
  • PS5 - 12.9 TF - 56 CUs @ 1800 - 399
  • Anaconda - 11.5 TF - 60 CUs @ 1500 - 499

Assuming Lockhart having 50% of Anaconda CUs seems like overkill for 1080 output, so reduced Lockhart CUs to 24.

Edit: fixed Anaconda TF

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So which is it, are you holding judgement or are you bias to Sony and Cerny? You've said you'll hold judgement????

When Cerny talks tech knowing his background is in engineering I trust him over Phil saying something applied to hardware. Not saying Phil is lying about having a powerful box. I'm saying that Cerny is the type of guy who works closely with engineering teams in coming up with solutions/designs for specific features.

And if he's touting something about storage/ data/texture streaming I believe him over someone like phil giving a blanket statement that's kind of known. Especially when you look at xbox one x.

I trust in Cerny's engineering when he's talking about a specific feature for playstation because more than likely he's the guy behind it. While Phil is not an engineer.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I wasnt referring about streaming games from the last few gens.

Doubt the public testing done this year for xCloud will use the Scarlett server blades, I dont even think it's being produced yet lol. Would also take time to upgrade the servers with the new blades.
Don't forget they also making PC version with their Xbox 1st party. heh. Can be used the PC version for next-gen titles if the hardware server not updates.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

PS5 being 14.2 TF would blow my mind. Can't wait to see what 1st party studios do with that.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget they also making PC version with their Xbox 1st party. heh. Can be used the PC version for next-gen titles if the hardware server not updates.
Which why I think having a different GPU for the server blades can happen. Something that consumes less power, and also act as the next step towards the mid gen upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.