• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash is literally Nintendo's most important franchise. It single handily promotes and saves niche and lame Non-Mainstream franchises like Bayonetta, Metroid, Star Fox, etc.

It literally brought Fire a Emblem from being irrelevant and a nerd weeb game to bringing more money in than Zelda.

Only reason people even know what Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and F-Zero are is because of Smash.

Half the franchises in Smash would be dead if not for Smash.

EDIT - Obviously not including Pokémon and Mario, which are a Tier above everything else.

S Tier - Pokemon, Mario
A Tier - Smash
B Tier - Fire Emblem, Zelda
C Tier - Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Animal Crossing

Everything else feeds off Smash for marketing and to live.
Zelda in B tier. Why? Unless this is tiering how much money they bring in then that makes sense.

Edit: I just noticed that you have severely underestimated Animal Crossing. As well as Zelda does bring in significantly more money than Fire Emblem.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Alright then, maybe Skyward Sword Impa (I'd say Hyrule Warriors Impa, but I think Koei Tecmo partially owns that design)?

In terms of Zelda reps that would be better received than Rex (in no particular order):

Groose
Tetra
Impa (like you said)
Revali
Mipha
Urbosa
Daruk
Pig Ganon
Marin
Saria
Skull Kid/Majora
King of Red Lions

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Again, you are projecting. Your life isn't the judge against what all gameplay hours should be judged against. This might be one of the most hyped releases by Nintendo since SM64 and OoT. People enjoy things and make time for them if they can. People literally took off work for this game.

I'm not judging people for playing 8 hours a day, I'm just saying it's likely to be a super small group.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If they wanted those characters to work they would find a way, but fine, if we're taking them out of the equation there's still a good 10 Zelda reps to choose from. At least.
But that's the thing, I'm not sure if they'd want those characters for that reason. Either way, I'm not too hopeful for any Zelda representation beyond recurring characters like Impa or Tingle (Pig Ganon would have been great if he wasn't a boss).

On-topic, I'm curious to see how the game will sell in the long-term. Obviously it'll have legs, but how long will those legs be is the question. I suppose the Fighters Pass will help on that front.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Insane sales. Does this mean that Smash has a chance at making the Top 10 list of bestselling games of 2018 when the year is over? That would be a huge achievement considering it's an exclusive on an install base of around 30 million and didn't release until December.
It will be behind PUBG / RDR2 / BOIIII / FIFA19 / Minecraft / GTAV for sure. #7 to #10 could go to either MHW, Spider Man, FC5, ACO, GoW or SSBU tho.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
This is clearly anecdotal but I've worked at the same job since Switch released and until today when I got back to work for the first time in two weeks (parental leave) and to my knowledge I knew only 3 people who owned a switch there including me.

I get back, watched my outlook and saw someone had sent out e-mail regarding a smash tournament a few fridays in to January at a conference room at the office. I knew the guy vaguely so went and talked to him.. he said 25 people was already signed up after 1 day (we're roughly people on the site) and about 20 of them told them they bought a Switch in the timeframe since Smash launched including himself... crazy.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe every video game in the past 35 years are the same since Pong, but only with different assets.

People generally think that way about any series they don't play. I gotta say, I find it particularly irritating in regards to Smash, because it's one of a very few series I loved, then hated, then loved again. There's no bigger change than that.

It will be behind PUBG / RDR2 / BOIIII / FIFA19 / Minecraft / GTAV for sure. #7 to #10 could go to either MHW, Spider Man, FC5, ACO, GoW or SSBU tho.

GTAV again? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. How much more did it sell this year?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I just remembered, this was released relatively early in the Switch's life. Smash is gonna be a sales juggernaut that eclipses BotW & Odyssey if it keeps this pace up.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There's been a lot of mockery of that Nintendo franchise tier list from earlier in this topic, but how would it actually be ranked? I'm curious. My half-guessed list is:

S Tier - Pokémon, Mario Kart, 2D Mario (?)
A Tier - 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda (?)
B Tier - Animal Crossing (?), Splatoon, Donkey Kong (?), Fire Emblem
C Tier - Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid
D Tier - Xenoblade, Wario, Star Fox, Kid Icarus (?), Pikmin
E Tier - F-Zero, Earthbound, & other dormant franchises

Please tell me how wrong I am, Era.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Smash is literally Nintendo's most important franchise. It single handily promotes and saves niche and lame Non-Mainstream franchises like Bayonetta, Metroid, Star Fox, etc.

It literally brought Fire a Emblem from being irrelevant and a nerd weeb game to bringing more money in than Zelda.

Only reason people even know what Earthbound, Ice Climbers, and F-Zero are is because of Smash.

Half the franchises in Smash would be dead if not for Smash.

EDIT - Obviously not including Pokémon and Mario, which are a Tier above everything else.

S Tier - Pokemon, Mario
A Tier - Smash
B Tier - Fire Emblem, Zelda
C Tier - Donkey Kong, Kirby, Yoshi, Animal Crossing

Everything else feeds off Smash for marketing and to live.
Have you taken even a cursory glance at Nintendo game sales? If so, you would know that Animal Crossing is not C tier lol.

This list is wrong. AC is A tier if not S tier, Zelda should be A tier, as should Splatoon, which you didn't even mention.

Also Smash didn't save Bayonetta, that game bombed well enough on its own. It has been a cult hit well before it was in Smash, and derives its interest from there, not from Smash (although Smash definitely doesn't hinder its appeal, of course).

Also, really? "Niche and lame" is an awful way to go about talking about games in general, and is absolutely unwarranted when discussing sales. You're just trying to stir shit Is the feeling I get.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not judging people for playing 8 hours a day, I'm just saying it's likely to be a super small group.

It's definitely not. That's what I mean by you projecting. People spending larger amounts of time playing a game after launch isn't new. I'd gamble that at least 1/3 of people that own Smash have already put 20-30 hours in. I have friends on my Twitter timeline that have done 50-60 already.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
People generally think that way about any series they don't play. I gotta say, I find it particularly irritating in regards to Smash, because it's one of a very few series I loved, then hated, then loved again. There's no bigger change than that.

GTAV again? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. How much more did it sell this year?
~10m without CY Q4, on par with 2015, 2016 and 2017 where it reached ~15m in the end thanks to Q4

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Source? The last numbers we got were 22.8 million at the end of September 2018.
No source. Im assuming they hit or get close to 20m FY target which meants over 37m Switches sold by Mar 31/2029

Using 22million to cacluate atrach rate seems odd. They need to be over 30m after December to hit their FY target

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have 60 hours logged into Smash, where do I rank on the "too much free time" scale?

I figured 15M LTS before release but now it will certainly blow past 20, right? Especially if the DLC announcements can keep the momentum going.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For many people Smash is just a casual game.
i-XZhxqqp-2100x20000.jpg
that's pretty funny

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how many switches they sell this month too. I know people that were waiting for Smash and it is the only reason they'll be getting a switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No source. Im assuming they hit or get close to 20m FY target which meants over 37m Switches sold by Mar 31/2029

Using 22million to cacluate atrach rate seems odd. They need to be over 30m after December to hit their FY target

I mean just based on the sell through data we have in November from the US and Japan it's probably over 25M. Add in shipments to those regions plus the rest of the world and yeah it's probably well over 30M by this point in mid December.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is clearly anecdotal but I've worked at the same job since Switch released and until today when I got back to work for the first time in two weeks (parental leave) and to my knowledge I knew only 3 people who owned a switch there including me.

I get back, watched my outlook and saw someone had sent out e-mail regarding a smash tournament a few fridays in to January at a conference room at the office. I knew the guy vaguely so went and talked to him.. he said 25 people was already signed up after 1 day (we're roughly people on the site) and about 20 of them told them they bought a Switch in the timeframe since Smash launched including himself... crazy.

Yup...people forget that Smash was also the main reason the GameCube sold like it did out of the gate. It's like a slightly more serious Mario Kart.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's been a lot of mockery of that Nintendo franchise tier list from earlier in this topic, but how would it actually be ranked? I'm curious. My half-guessed list is:

S Tier - Pokémon, Mario Kart, 2D Mario (?)
A Tier - 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda (?)
B Tier - Animal Crossing (?), Splatoon, Donkey Kong (?), Fire Emblem
C Tier - Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid
D Tier - Xenoblade, Wario, Star Fox, Kid Icarus (?), Pikmin
E Tier - F-Zero, Earthbound, & other dormant franchises

Please tell me how wrong I am, Era.
AC and Splatoon are A tier tbh. I'd also put Kirby alongside DK and FE.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What, how wrong can you be ? FE started its revival thanks to Awekening doing great. They then learnt from awekening to make Fates. If I remember correctly, they basically said that if Awekening did not sell enough, FE would be as good as dead. Because Awekening sold well, the franchise started to grow.
And Awekening doing well has nothing to do with smash. I came out in april 2012/2013, in both case, before the first trailer of Smash 4 (E3 2013). You also can't tell me that Brawl saved FE, otherwise Radiant Dawn (although it came out before brawl) would have received some kind of sales boost, but it did not even sell 1M.
Nah, Awekening (and waifu bait) is the only reason FE is as big as it is right now. Fates helped by going in the same direction. Smash barely helps the represented franchises

Awakening

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

I know this is all anecdotes, but like half the gaming types I know are buying/bought a Switch JUST for Smash (myself included lol). People really REALLY shouldn't underestimate the selling power of Smash Bros.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
You could say the same for any successful multiplayer franchise.
Can't believe every video game in the past 35 years are the same since Pong, but only with different assets.
All those Melee diehards finally proven wrong, good show.
Imagine thinking that the core mechanics of Smash haven't been changed in the past 17 years.

You know about Brawl, right?
bahahahahaha

you need your old tag back
Explain to me how Smash Ultimate is so different from Melee, Brawl or Wii U/3DS. Explain to me how the core gameplay has tried to reinvent—or even change—itself like, say, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, or even Pikmin. How? Because of a glorified (and lazy) Event Match mode called World of Light? Because we're collecting spirit cards now instead of trophies? Give me a break; Smash has not markedly changed since the GCN days...even the UI is the same.

You can split hairs with control changes and whatever else, but the core mechanics that make Smash Smash are exactly the same and people love it, so of course they are. Again, not a criticism, but let's be real.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Explain to me how Smash Ultimate is so different from Melee, Brawl or Wii U/3DS. Explain to me how the core gameplay has tried to reinvent—or even change—itself like, say, Zelda, Mario, Metroid, or even Pikmin. How? Because of a glorified (and lazy) Event Match mode called World of Light? Because we're collecting spirit cards now instead of trophies? Give me a break; Smash has not markedly changed since the GCN days...even the UI is the same.

You can split hairs with control changes and whatever else, but the core mechanics that make Smash Smash are exactly the same and people love it, so of course they are. Again, not a criticism, but let's be real.
The concept is the same, the gameplay mechanics are different.

Smash hasn't had a BotW moment if that's what you're talking about.

Oct 26, 2017
That's...only 8 hours a day. Sounds like you are projecting a bit here. I work full-time and can do 4-5 hours a day if I wanted.
Again, you are projecting. Your life isn't the judge against what all gameplay hours should be judged against. This might be one of the most hyped releases by Nintendo since SM64 and OoT. People enjoy things and make time for them if they can. People literally took off work for this game.

You're right, and I apologize for coming off as judgemental. As this very thread is teaching me, Smash is BIG.

Oct 25, 2017

"Everything is the same except for the things that are different. Those don't count." Also lol @ "the UI is the same". Troll confirmed.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
You're right, and I apologize for coming off as judgemental. As this very thread is teaching me, Smash is BIG.

No need to apologize, you didn't insult anyone really. Because the last Smash was on WiiU, and Brawl was so long ago, people forgot LOL. This is Nintendo's lead multiplayer game, as well as the one of the most popular first party multiplayer game next to Halo. It has tremendous hype firepower.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

LOL JasonMCG is about to catch that smoke...