• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alright gang, how does the Pokémon Direct affect our chances?

• #TeamAppetizer (a Direct will come between 1/14 and 1/17)

Votes: 806 70.6%
  • #TeamEntrée (this is the main course; another Direct won’t come until later)

Votes: 237 20.8%
  • I'm on #TeamAppetizer, but I don't necessarily think it will happen next week.

Votes: 99 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emily's Star Fox comments makes me think we'll get a fully re-tooled Star Fox Zero, and I'd love that so much.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The Switch is a more versatile system than the Wii, but that doesn't make it a "Back-to-basics" system. If that was the case, you can argue the DS was "Basic" as well since plenty of the system's best games can be played traditionally. Just because the Switch offers a traditional control scheme, doesn't make it a "Back-to-basics" system. Far from it actually.

Odyssey is very bold in its own right. Changing up the coins mechainc, throwing Mario into a realistic New York like city, and the Capture mechanic are all pretty bold and ambitious ideas.

More versatile in theory. Like they touch scene on the Switch is hardly used. And there were a lot of top selling DS games that couldn't even be played with the D-Pad like both Zelda games. And I don't mean just controls when I say 'back the basics'. I mean the way the games are made are 'back to basics' using again Galaxy compared to Odyssey.

The Capture Mechanic while new to Mario isn't all that different from Kirby's gimmick. I found the jumping on your hat trick more innovated. Also, putting Mario in different settings isn't really the same as changing the gameplay, like Galaxy's gravity physics.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
John Harker also talked about a new Star Fox in developpement. People thought he was talking about SF:GP but maybe not after all.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh fuuuuck I'm behind again. What comments?
Nothing super significant. I believe she just said Nintendo weren't ready to give up on Star Fox either. But that's enough to suggest to me somethings up, and a SFZ re release seems most likely.

Here we go:
Metroid is one franchise that will get plenty of love on Switch. I think Switch will satisfy Metroid fans. Nintendo isn't giving up on Star Fox anytime soon either.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Nothing super significant. I believe she just said Nintendo weren't ready to give up on Star Fox either. But that's enough to suggest to me somethings up, and a SFZ re release seems most likely,
man I hope not. Zero was already a bland psuedo-remake of 64, itself a (much more inventive) retelling of the first one. give us something new dammit, it's about to be 2020. Give us a new story or a prequel with james

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emily's comment only seems to imply more Star Fox coming to Switch, not that SF Zero will be re-released in any way.

And frankly, it shouldn't be. That was a deeply flawed release and they'd basically have to completely redo it for Switch, so why not just make something new and potentially better instead.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
I hope more Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch. Three Houses was a hit for me, I would love to play some remakes.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I'm not comfortable with giving out any more info than this :( sorry my dudes
man if you're gonna hint don't do it like that lol

"hey so SOMETHING here is wrong, hope you're ready to argue about it for eighteen pages!"

emily is the perfect insider-type person right, she always paints a picture with her teases. maybe it's just blocking out colors, but it's a picture. you've just told someone who painted a very specific picture that one brushstroke or whatever was wrong. what's even the point besides clout??

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised that Nintendo still hasn't given up on Star Fox. Wonder if it will actually be good this time? Then again, I loved the last Star Fox release!

Star Fox 2!

I hope more Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch. Three Houses was a hit for me, I would love to play some remakes.

I'm certain we'll be getting more. Three Houses will get some story DLC early next year, and after that we'll probably get a new game. Hopefully FE4 and 5 remakes!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DS was pretty not so great for Nintendo's premiere franchises in my eyes. Mario, Zelda, Metroid were no where near their peaks except maybe BiS.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
About my comments on Star Fox:

What I meant is Nintendo recently did some prototypes/demos with Star Fox. I doubt those demos will turn into a game, but you never know. My point was that Nintendo wasn't giving up on Star Fox. Internally, they're still experimenting with ideas and concepts. Star Fox is in the same camp as Pikmin. They're two IPs that Miyamoto won't let go (I say that as a positive thing).

Can't say I'm a fan of every little thing I say getting quoted in the OP. If I'm being honest, that'll probably make me want to post less in this thread.
But feel free to do whatever you want. I won't tell you what to do.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

What I meant is Nintendo recently did some prototypes/demos with Star Fox. I doubt those demos will turn into a game. My point was that Nintendo wasn't giving up on Star Fox. Internally, they're still experimenting with ideas and concepts. Star Fox is in the same camp as Pikmin. They're two IPs that Miyamoto won't let go (I say that as a positive thing).

Can't say I'm a fan of every little thing I say getting quoted in the OP. If I'm being honest, that'll probably make me want to post less in this thread.
oh man that's my bad. I really just wanted to cut down on people asking every three pages "wait what did emily say???" my bad, I was worried it might irritate you. I'll take them out pronto

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What i want from star fox is basically a remake of star fox 2

But instead of a map screen you you through space in real time

And the great fox works as fast travel
Include may and fiyu
Reintroduce krystal but good this time

And have mass effect style on foot combat and take inspiration from the smash movesets

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up fully on the thread

Thing about Metroid might be my favorite little nugget of hope Emily's ever dropped lol. Us fans really need it.

What I meant is Nintendo recently did some prototypes/demos with Star Fox. I doubt those demos will turn into a game, but you never know. My point was that Nintendo wasn't giving up on Star Fox. Internally, they're still experimenting with ideas and concepts. Star Fox is in the same camp as Pikmin. They're two IPs that Miyamoto won't let go (I say that as a positive thing).

Raccoon may want to take this into consideration, putting info in more easily accessible spots like the OP or threading them can both put way too much weight and faith into stuff that can change and also at more risk of jeopardizing sources because it's more visible.

Most people who are regulars of this thread have come to learn how to deal with these rumors but the rest of ERA can be vicious.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
quotes are out of the op, my bad, please don't feel less of the community because I'm a dumbass

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
A console where a small german independant studio is able to create a decent F-Zero like without tons of monney but Ninten don't even try cannot have one of the greatest library ever.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
It's ok! You're doing a great job with the OP and keeping it dynamic and updated
seems like it's kind of a catch 22. the original "charter" of the thread, as I call the quote from nibel, says to keep the op updated with current speculation. but anything tease-related puts undue pressure on leakers, so it's unfair for the community at large for me to end up discouraging their participation. I think that the OP is going to be quite a bit less current going forward, but we don't have a direct coming for another several weeks likely anyway.

I'll probably throw in the occasional sage dark cloud analysis lol

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

What I meant is Nintendo recently did some prototypes/demos with Star Fox. I doubt those demos will turn into a game. My point was that Nintendo wasn't giving up on Star Fox. Internally, they're still experimenting with ideas and concepts. Star Fox is in the same camp as Pikmin. They're two IPs that Miyamoto won't let go (I say that as a positive thing).

As always, thank you for sharing your insight. I still remain hopeful that they'll find a proper flight path for Fox, one day!

In other news...just patiently waiting for when Monster Hunter "NEXT" materializes~!

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
More versatile in theory. Like they touch scene on the Switch is hardly used. And there were a lot of top selling DS games that couldn't even be played with the D-Pad like both Zelda games. And I don't mean just controls when I say 'back the basics'. I mean the way the games are made are 'back to basics' using again Galaxy compared to Odyssey.

In some ways yes, but that doesn't mean the Switch is a "traditional" console. It's still uniquely Nintendo, just more versitile and better marketed.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
So, someone asks us not to quote her again and in response, we have posts quoting this message.

OP
OP

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
So, someone asks us not to quote her again and in response, we have posts quoting this message.
quotes are fine, it was my ill-advised attempt to keep the OP updated with her hints that was the problem. I was the only problem here I think, I doubt she has any problem with people discussing what has been said

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

I think she meant in the OP. Not the thread itself.

To get back on topic, I can't wait for the Game Awards next week! Hoping for Breath of the Wild 2, expecting a Smash character at least. Nintendo always shows something big at TGA.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Having played SF2 now, I'll still say SF Zero is a much better interpretation of ideas from that game than Command. No need to do away with the walker mode just because people are dead set on on-foot missions. Not surprising they may be kicking around ideas since I'm not sure Ubisoft was the extent of their stated desire to license the series into other media.

But again, I don't want to fuel a discussion about which series "need" to exist.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I usually shy away from "BotW Moment"

But, Star Fox needs it's BotW moment.
So... Star Fox Adventures with a BotW focus? /jk.

I think the simplest thing that Nintendo can do with Star Fox is either take Star Fox Zero, fix the controls, and release it as a budget title, or make a completely different and fresh take on the concept, a "BotW Moment", yes.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The less attention on insiders the better. You don't want to make them more visible. Nintendo Ninjas are everywhere 👀

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I hope the Switch doesn't get replaced in the normal 5 year Nintendo console lifespan.

Maybe it's just hoping in vain, but I'd like if Nintendo had a few years where they could give love to some smaller IP and also develop more new ones. If we jump straight back into another console I'd expect their teams to all immediately go into next gen sequels on their tentpole IP to cover their bases again. Switch is also in the unique spot of being their only hardware platform, so they aren't jumping between handheld and console like with the transitions from Wii to 3DS to Wii U.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get a good January Direct since Nintendo didn't bring anything but Marvel DLC to the Game Awards. I don't count No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2 since those aren't published, or at least fully published by Nintendo. We don't know nearly enough about 2020 right now.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Q1 currently has Tokyo Mirage Sessions in January and Animal Crossing in March. That's the best Q1 since the launch of the Switch.

They can have a Direct in January to outline games coming out before E3.

I think Pikmin and Metroid will be franchises to look out for in 2020. Pikmin will receive its Wii U port, and maybe we'll get a glimpse of a new entry. It's also about time we get a new 2D Metroid, and perhaps even the long-rumored Prime Trilogy.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So... Star Fox Adventures with a BotW focus? /jk.

I think the simplest thing that Nintendo can do with Star Fox is either take Star Fox Zero, fix the controls, and release it as a budget title, or make a completely different and fresh take on the concept, a "BotW Moment", yes.
Yeah, any SF64 is an EShop title at this point

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
"Metroid love on the Switch"

I'll believe that if they don't fuck the Super Metroid remake. (Or whatever the 2D Metroid is)

Oct 25, 2017
My dream Starfox game is for it to be a Mass Effect, RPG, shooter action game. Like there would be a hub and you can choose various types missions like flying your arwing, going on foot or getting in a land master. You can do missions to get money to buy upgrades and equipment to retool your moveset or vehicles. There would be a branching narrative that would take place over the Lylat system and there would be dialogue options which can get you into different events or scenarios depending on what you choose.

I dunno, Starfox needs a massive change to be relevant again kind of like Kid Icarus Uprising.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox Effect. Let's get it done Nintendo. Since they're prototyping and what not it'll probably be a 2022-2023.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I hope the Switch doesn't get replaced in the normal 5 year Nintendo console lifespan.

Maybe it's just hoping in vain, but I'd like if Nintendo had a few years where they could give love to some smaller IP and also develop more new ones. If we jump straight back into another console I'd expect their teams to all immediately go into next gen sequels on their tentpole IP to cover their bases again. Switch is also in the unique spot of being their only hardware platform, so they aren't jumping between handheld and console like with the transitions from Wii to 3DS to Wii U.
Nintendo reiterated again at the last financial meeting they want a long life for the Switch.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly I don't think Nintendo is interested in internally developing story-focused games (which anything like Mass Effect would be). Monolithsoft's work is the only thing that is really exploring that sort of thing.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
SamSho could be our February game. I know they said Q1, but I hope SNK is not stupid enough to release it too close to ACNH.

Status
Not open for further replies.