• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Honestly, there aren't any Directs pre-2017 that I remember. The Wii U era wasn't exactly my favorite Nintendo era, and I feel that the Directs reflected this. But the Switch era has made Directs much more entertaining for me. The March 2018 Direct that teased what would be Smash Ultimate was amazing. It was the Direct that revealed the Switch port of Crash N. Sane Trilogy, something that I really wanted to come to a Nintendo console and the only reason I had been tempted to get a Playstation 4. I went crazy when they revealed that. I think I reacted more to that then I did the Smash Ultimate tease!

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
2013 sucks solely because it had vague promises of a future that were years off at best. Any company can just name drop a good portion of their major titles for a console, but none of those games except for Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World came out that year. 2013's Direct was an absolutely desperate flail of the company trying to interest people in the console and they had promises of future content with nothing to show, and it took years to get that stuff and some of it ended up so radically different from how it was first presented or shown that I'm not sure I can give January 2013 credit for much of anything.
Bingo.

January 2013 was a panic direct after how badly the Wii U was received. "We promise we are making games" was their message.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing i can talk about at the moment.

Fair enough.

DMC games have been pretty inconsistent, DMC2 revealed in a Direct while DMC1 and DMC3 were announced in a Direct. I can't predict where the potential DMC4 and DmC ports could be revealed.

it's because you care about way more about third parties and way less about first parties than most of us here I think

That's not true at all. Only thing I can't stand is Mario and it seems for people here he's still important. For me he's like Simpsons. He's been in my life for 30 years and that's more than enough for me. I stopped caring about Mario a long time ago. Though I'm still buying most of his games as I do 90% of my gaming on Switch. I need every game out there.

Rest, I love. Though I prefer Nintendo focusing on new IPs.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking favorite Directs, oh man, June 2013:

-Smash 3DS and Wii U first look.
-Megaman is in Smash.
-Mario Kart 8 first look.
-Mario 3D World first look.
-Bayonetta 2 gameplay.
-Tropical Freeze announced.
-Wind Waker HD update and Triforce hunt fix.
-Xenoblade X update.

One of my absolute favorite Directs ever. The Ustream thing just sucked.

December 2013's Direct is wayyyyy up there as well:

-Rosalina revealed for Smash. Featuring an incredible CG Mario Kart/Air Ride crossover.
-An amazing Mario Kart 8 trailer.
-Hyrule Warriors revealed.
-Dr. Luigi revealed
-NES Remix reveal and shadow drop.
-Tropical Freeze update.
-Bravely Default localization.
-Cool Sonic Lost World DLC.

Was a perfect Christmas present.

In retrospect 2013 E3 was great. But the sentiment immediately afterwards was not positive.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
2013 sucks solely because it had vague promises of a future that were years off at best. Any company can just name drop a good portion of their major titles for a console, but none of those games except for Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World came out that year. 2013's Direct was an absolutely desperate flail of the company trying to interest people in the console and they had promises of future content with nothing to show, and it took years to get that stuff and some of it ended up so radically different from how it was first presented or shown that I'm not sure I can give January 2013 credit for much of anything.
I mean if we're going by that logic their E3 2017 direct had its impact diminished since Prime 4 got pushed back into oblivion and was announced way too early.

In terms of impact and hype at the time, no Direct has come close to January 2013.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough.

DMC games have been pretty inconsistent, DMC2 revealed in a Direct while DMC1 and DMC3 were announced in a Direct. I can't predict where the potential DMC4 and DmC ports could be revealed.

That's not true at all. Only thing I can't stand is Mario and it seems for people here he's still important. For me he's like Simpsons. He's been in my life for 30 years and that's more than enough for me. I stopped caring about Mario a long time ago. Though I'm still buying most of his games as I do 90% of my gaming on Switch. I need every game out there.

Rest, I love. Though I prefer Nintendo focusing on new IPs.
Well yeah that "some reason" is because they keep churning out fantastic games with the IP.

And my apologies for misinterpreting, I feel like all of your posts I've read though are about third parties so that's what I figured

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah I remember really liking E3 13. Looking back though, both 3D World and MK8 debuted looking way more underwhelming than they ended up being

They were still in development but i remembered hearing they looked a lot better on the show floor.
Oh man that Smash Wii U/3DS direct was great. Genuinely entertaining to rewatch. I feel the same way about the 8.8.2018 Smash Ultimate Direct. The reactions to that one are still so fun to watch; the Easy Allies one in particular.

Smash Directs are usually crazy hype, especially the first ones.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great gameplay-first reveal

Great follow-up trailer for E3. Hope they can recapture that magic

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 8.8.18 Smash Direct is the most unanimously praised Direct ever. I don't remember reading any significant complaints with it

starting with awesome Castlevania representation, then Chrom and Dark Samus. New modes, "[almost] every stage is here" and ending with fucking K Rool. It was so good

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I'm out for the weekend. See you crazy cats on Monday!

All January Direct believers must make 20 prayers to #TheGreatJanuaryDirect2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said before. The E3 2013 direct is the most underrated direct of all time. So many great announcements and we got to see gameplay. DKCTF one of the best 2D platformers of all time. 3D World is one of the best Mario games ever. Mario Kart 8 the best Mario Kart game. Seeing more footage of Xenoblade Chronicles X was hype af

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
And my apologies for misinterpreting, I feel like all of your posts I've read though are about third parties so that's what I figured

That's most likely because most of the people here use their Switch only for exclusives. And play everything else on other platforms. That's not the case for me, gaming at home is a luxury for me. I buy awful lot of games for Switch as I have lots of free time outside of home and that might have made me look like I care about third parties more. I care about them equally.

More games Directs feature, happier I'll be. Most people say quality over quantity but I need both of them at maximum level.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said before. The E3 2013 direct is the most underrated direct of all time. So many great announcements and we got to see gameplay. DKCTF one of the best 2D platformers of all time. 3D World is one of the best Mario games ever. Mario Kart 8 the best Mario Kart game. Seeing more footage of Xenoblade Chronicles X was hype af
Iwata announced everything at the January Wii U Direct, save for DK, which is why folks were disappointed. In retrospect, it was good though. All of those games turned out great.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I see we're discussing Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct. It's one of my favorite Nintendo E3 presentations.

In retrospect 2013 E3 was great. But the sentiment immediately afterwards was not positive.

I also remember the sentiment not being positive. A lot of people thought 3D World looked underwhelming, people wanted Metroid instead of Donkey Kong, and many didn't come away confident in the Wii U's marketplace future.

Last edited:

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Wii U on those E3 2013 promises. Trusted in Nintendo big time, but ultimately felt the thud of what the Wii U became in the annals of gaming history.

Then the Switch, or NX, rumblings began as my faith in Nintendo was at its lowest point ever.

I still feel the struggle of expecting Nintendo to fulfill the glory days of all the hours I poured into my GameCube. I've been hit with the realization that I am the one who has changed and doesn't have hours to pour into modern Nintendo gaming.

In other words— WHERE IS MY GOSH DARN DIRECT WITH METROID EVERYTHING!?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see Nintendo Minute starting the year off with a Zelda BotW video. They're getting the Zelda conversation going in knowing BotW 2 is coming this year.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom

Momo

Oct 25, 2017

Great gameplay-first reveal

Great follow-up trailer for E3. Hope they can recapture that magic

Agreed! I think they can recapture the magic if they decide to make Xenoblade X2. It's X's turn for a sequel, otherwise Takahashi will divide the series' fanbase even further than he already has.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I see we're discussing Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct. It's one of my favorite Nintendo E3 presentations.

I also remember the sentiment not being positive. A lot of people thought 3D World looked underwhelming, people wanted Metroid instead of Donkey Kong, and many didn't come away confident in the Wii U's marketplace future.
3D World didn't shine until it's second trailer later that fall
I see Nintendo Minute starting the year off with a Zelda BotW video. They're getting the Zelda conversation going in knowing BotW 2 is coming this year.

hmm do they normally do super recent games or when was the last time they did botw

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that proves my point...they started again AFTER BotW 2 was revealed. Before that they stopped March of 2018. Now the first video of 2020 is a BotW video. They know BotW 2 is coming this year.

I mean, it makes sense to promote the original Breath of the Wild after the sequel is announced, especially given BoTWs evergreen status. I just don't think Nintendo Minute doing videos is definitive proof that BoTW 2 is coming this year (though I do think it is targeted for this year personally). I wouldn't be surprised if the Nintendo Minute people were kept out of the loop about BoTW2 as this current stage.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it makes sense to promote the original Breath of the Wild after the sequel is announced, especially given BoTWs evergreen status. I just don't think Nintendo Minute doing videos is definitive proof that BoTW 2 is coming this year (though I do think it is targeted for this year personally). I wouldn't be surprised if the Nintendo Minute people were kept out of the loop about BoTW2 as this current stage.
😢

Nah, nobody knows that for sure yet. Not even Nintendo. BOTW is just extremely popular still.
😞

😔

😢

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Iwata already said that there would be a new 3D Mario announced at E3 in 2013 and the way it was implied he made it sound like it was going to be the next big evolution for 3D Mario. So nobody really expected the first HD 3D Mario to be a sequel to 3D Land. It really didn't look great.

DKCTF wouldn't have been as disappointing but if my memory serves me, Retro Studios said shortly after DKCR came out in 2010 that there were no plans for a sequel. So i can understand why many were expecting something different. Waiting and speculating for three years just to hear that Retro is working on more DKC is going to come across as disappointing no matter what. I don't think the blowback would have been as bad had Retro managed to crank TF during the launch of the Wii U.

The game turned out great but i don't think Nintendo did a good job revealing that game. At a glance it just seemed like more of the same as Returns.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
We all have had a chaotic week. I think we should just relax and play some games this weekend. We can earn those Astral Chain spirits in Smash Bros. Might I recommend using Corrin and Robin for the task? Or we can play the newest release: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore. Or maybe we can pop back in Fire Emblem Three Houses to get us ready for the DLC next month. If all else fails, I recommend playing this hit mobile game called Fire Emblem Heroes. There's going to be a Tokyo Mirage Sessions banner next week!

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
I just hope that since Zippo was correct about DLC 5 being Fire Emblem, his Paper Mario information will pan out as well. I know i'm setting myself for disappointment, but that's what I want to be hyped for in the next Direct, Paper Mario finally going back to it's roots, similar to 3D Mario/Mario Tennis/Mario Party

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that since Zippo was correct about DLC 5 being Fire Emblem, his Paper Mario information will pan out as well. I know i'm setting myself for disappointment, but that's what I want to be hyped for in the next Direct, Paper Mario finally going back to it's roots, similar to 3D Mario/Mario Tennis/Mario Party

Is there a list somewhere of his predictions?

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
Is there a list somewhere of his predictions?

Not really. It's been pretty hard to keep track of it. But the jist of it is that he says fans have a good reason to hope that the next game, which is supposedly due out this year, will be a return to TTYD format.

I can't quite tell if he's hinting at a new game or if it could be a TTYD/64 remaster. He made a post suggesting 8 more chapters taking place post-TTYD but I couldn't tell if that was just speculation or hinting.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's been pretty hard to keep track of it. But the jist of it is that he says fans have a good reason to hope that the next game, which is supposedly due out this year, will be a return to TTYD format.

I can't quite tell if he's hinting at a new game or if it could be a TTYD/64 remaster. He made a post suggesting 8 more chapters taking place post-TTYD but I couldn't tell if that was just speculation or hinting.

Interesting. So either a sequel to TTYD or a remaster with additional content?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Do we all think the "Echoes" addition to Fire Emblem's title will be a sub series of remakes?

I think so, but I really hope they use hand drawn 2D map models instead of pixelated ones in 3DS. That wouldn't be a good look on Switch screen. Hell that wasn't a good look on 3DS, when Awakening was first announced I eexpected something like Path of Radiance with full 3D models.

They should start with SNES download games, Genealogy and Thracia 776 in one pack.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I'm not big on being vague so I'll be super transparent here

I was told Paper Mario is coming this year, and is a return to form. No idea when it's being announced. Not a remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.