• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Shigeru Miyamoto reveal himself?

• Yes!

Votes: 437 72.8%
  • Nuh-uh!

Votes: 163 27.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Disaster nailed the "video game adaptation of an action B-movie" perfectly and would love to see something like that again. It's so silly and dumb, but it's fun.

Hype for E3? Eh, 7? I just want to see Smash Bros newcomers (Ridley???) and Fire Emblem honestly. Will be fine with only that.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Windwalker HD will make the jump to Switch too. Or maybe as a Zelda Collection with Twilight Princess HD!

Mar 23, 2018
Digital Foundry just put their analysis out on this.

This hurts so much...

You know, I expected more. The game doesn't get a constant 60FPS at 1080p, compared to the original on the Wii at the original resolution.

If this is really the case, I wonder what they would do with that Metroid Prime Trilogy. It might be better to port the trilogy to a newer engine* than emulating the originals if they're going with a 60FPS 1080p trilogy.

I pulled this off my butt, tbh.

At the end of the clip, they say that a Switch version of the game in this case, Super Mario Galaxy, would probably have a better performance, but I don't know. I hope so, though.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
quick review of what E3 Direct was last year
24:48 Minutes long

3:11 Minutes TV ad + Reggie "The Game" Monologue
1:15 Minutes Shinya Takahashi talking about Switch Reception
1:35 Minutes Splatoon 2, Pokken DX, ARMS Tournaments advertising

Games Showcased in any way: 10
New Revealed games: 8 (Kirby SA// Pokemon 2019// Metroid Prime 4// yoshi Yarn Switch// Fire Emblem Warriors // Mario + Rabbid// Rocket League// Mario O)
Teasers: 3 (Pokemon 2019 // Metroid Prime 4// BotW DLC Pack 2)
Trailers:7 (Xenoblade 2// Yarn Yoshi Switch // Fire Emblem Warrior // BotW DLC Pack 1// Mario + Rabbids // Rocket League // Mario O)
Gameplay: 4 (Kirby SA// Yoshi Yarn Switch // Mario + Rabbids // Mario O)

Games released Before Fiscal Year 2018 ended: 7 (this include both BotW DLC Packs)

**Skyrim + BotW Skins were Showcased on Bethesda own E3

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Last year the devs said they would love to put out a Switch version, and this year after they announced console versions when asked about a Switch version they said they couldn't talk about it now (or something to that effect). That's not to say it's confirmed of course but I think there's a real solid chance it's coming.
I read another interview where they said they had plans for a Switch version. Its basically just a matter of time, not sure if it will be announced at E3 though. I would also take Divinity 1 as an appetiser.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
quick review of what E3 Direct was last year
24:48 Minutes long

3:11 Minutes TV ad + Reggie "The Game" Monologue
1:15 Minutes Shinya Takahashi talking about Switch Reception
1:35 Minutes Splatoon 2, Pokken DX, ARMS Tournaments advertising

Games Showcased in any way: 10
New Revealed games: 8 (Kirby SA// Pokemon 2019// Metroid Prime 4// yoshi Yarn Switch// Fire Emblem Warriors // Mario + Rabbid// Rocket League// Mario O)
Teasers: 3 (Pokemon 2019 // Metroid Prime 4// BotW DLC Pack 2)
Trailers:7 (Xenoblade 2// Yarn Yoshi Switch // Fire Emblem Warrior // BotW DLC Pack 1// Mario + Rabbids // Rocket League // Mario O)
Gameplay: 4 (Kirby SA// Yoshi Yarn Switch // Mario + Rabbids // Mario O)

Games released Before Fiscal Year 2018 ended: 7 (this include both BotW DLC Packs)

**Skyrim + BotW Skins were Showcased on Bethesda own E3
I think people forget that because Nintendo does days of Treehouse streams, they don't need to show much for each game in their Direct beyond a quick trailer and so they can cram more into a shorter timespan. I'm all for a half hour Direct that's just trailer trailer trailer trailer and then the Treehouse stream actually showing the game.

I hope we don't see a lot of Yoshi though, there was a lot of that in the treehouse stream last year already.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people forget that because Nintendo does days of Treehouse streams, they don't need to show much for each game in their Direct beyond a quick trailer and so they can cram more into a shorter timespan. I'm all for a half hour Direct that's just trailer trailer trailer trailer and then the Treehouse stream actually showing the game.

I hope we don't see a lot of Yoshi though, there was a lot of that in the treehouse stream last year already.

We haven't seen Yoshi in a year. I'm sure it'll get a minute and a half trailer or so.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

they also drop several other games during other Directs: DOOM/ Wolf 2 were in a September Direct. Bayo 3 was teased on that games show award. Smash Swtich was revealed in a direct early this year, etc etc etc

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the 2015 Direct this morning. I miss the funny parts and this one delivered (and it hit right in the feels knowning this is the last time Satoru Iwata's last Direct).

I'd love to see Reggie and Koizumi, I miss them (and Satoru Shibata, but now he's with the Pokemon Company).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I expected more. The game doesn't get a constant 60FPS at 1080p, compared to the original on the Wii at the original resolution.

If this is really the case, I wonder what they would do with that Metroid Prime Trilogy. It might be better to port the trilogy to a newer engine* than emulating the originals if they're going with a 60FPS 1080p trilogy.

I pulled this off my butt, tbh.

At the end of the clip, they say that a Switch version of the game in this case, Super Mario Galaxy, would probably have a better performance, but I don't know. I hope so, though.
MPT probably won't be emulated but straight ported. I dont see a reason to worry. if Wii games come to the Switch, they'll probably be ported as well in order to take advantage of motion controls in leu of pointer aiming

Deleted member 44288

Banned
May 30, 2018
Boy, if that game even remotely measures up to the image I have constructed in my head... oh boy.

I'm curious how you have imagined it, I have been playing this made up game in my head for a good while now. I vision arwings going at ludicrous speeds and combat between racers similar to what was going on in F-Zero GX. What is interesting is I visioned this Rainbow Road type level that is mixed with the Mute City track from F-Zero GX and some other levels where you go through wormholes and the like. Oh it is going to be an amazing game, Retro Studios are the new Rare for Nintendo and I am hyped to level 11.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Reggie and Koizumi, I miss them (and Satoru Shibata, but now he's with the Pokemon Company).

He's not, actually. Starting July 1, he'll be joining the NCL board of directors. His position within the Pokémon Company is that of an outside director- meaning he'll represent the interests of Nintendo within the Pokémon Company. He is not leaving Nintendo in any way, shape or form.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm getting nervous that there won't be so many Switch announcements from 3:rd party developers despite Switch being a big success.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm curious how you have imagined it, I have been playing this made up game in my head for a good while now. I vision arwings going at ludicrous speeds and combat between racers similar to what was going on in F-Zero GX. What is interesting is I visioned this Rainbow Road type level that is mixed with the Mute City track from F-Zero GX and some other levels where you go through wormholes and the like. Oh it is going to be an amazing game, Retro Studios are the new Rare for Nintendo and I am hyped to level 11.
I envision on rail shooter levels except sped up and cranked up to eleven with fantastic set pieces (asteroid fields, solar flares, all the crazy space and sci fo goodness).

Except you're competing with other Arwings and similar spacecraft trying to get to the end of the level first as you get into awesome dogfight shootouts both with the course enemies and other racers.

Also my imagination affords Arwings the ability to transform into mechs with grapple hooks because it's my imagination so of course they can do that.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have zero hope for a new Castlevania game, to be quite honest. I'm sure it's a real thing, but I don't expect it to be any good. Hopefully a Castlevania compilation really is happening.

I'm getting nervous that there won't be so many Switch announcements from 3:rd party developers despite Switch being a big success.

There will be plenty of announcements, but there probably aren't going to be very many AAA announcements, not even from Japanese publishers. Dead or Alive 6, which would have likely done very, very well on Switch, is a recent example.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
2010 was amazing. Yeah Zelda had its technical issues, but they announced Epic Mickey which people went crazy for at the time. It looked so good.

-Epic Mickey
-NBA Jam was brought back to the Wii. This was an iconic SNES game
-Retro Studios after coming off the amazing Metroid Prime trilogy games brought back Donkey Kong Country, which people loved in the 90's
-Kirby got its first console game in a long time and it looked amazing (Kirby's Epic Yarn)
-Goldenye 007 (new game) was brought to Wii and again Goldeneye was a big iconic title from N64.
-3DS reveal was great
-Sakurai's new project wasn't Smash, but Kid Icarus! He brought back an old ass IP from the dead and turned it into something great.
-They showed the first gameplay of Golden Sun Dark Dawn. A series we waited so long for to return.
-Metroid Other M got more gameplay
-Nintendo Dogs + Cats was announced for 3DS, which was a big IP at the time

I guess I can see it being great at the time when it's all listed out like that. But most of those games turned out to be just decent so in hindsight there's not much greatness to behold.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
People are so weird about Nintendo Direct's duration...
Like when people says "stop talkin Reggie, we only have 30 minutes GODDAMIT !!", if you cut Reggie's talkin then the direct is 28 minutes long... Another annoucement will not show up, wtf. Same for Smash Bros... If it's 10 minutes (it won't), then it's 10 minutes, who care. There are not preparing directs like
"-ok Reggie, we have ONLY 30 minutes for this direct. What do we do ?
-let's do 15 minutes of Smash then, I dont want to announce F-Zero and Animal Crossing this year lol"
People seems to believe that's what they do, wtf lol.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious? 3rd Support is pretty lackluster now with so many titles skipping the Switch

I think it depends on the level of third party support you expect. Switch's hardware limitations are well known, and as such we're never going to see every third party game get ported. With that known, Switch has seen incredible third party support compared to the Wii-U.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That DONTNOD game didn't look like a graphical marvel, even published by Bandai Namco.

99% of AA and AAA games developed by western devs will never even be considered for Switch. This is the reality and I hope this E3 will finally drive that point home for a lot of you.

That's not to say Switch doesn't have amazing third party support overall for a Nintendo platform, because it absolutely does.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the level of third party support you expect. Switch's hardware limitations are well known, and as such we're never going to see every third party game get ported. With that known, Switch has seen incredible third party support compared to the Wii-U.
From traditional 3rd parties though, it might be on par right now, which is to say it sucks. I mean even the Wii U got a Call of Duty.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect at least some third party support. Yet, absolutely every major third party game announced this year is skipping the Switch. This is not good at all.

And compared to WiiU... well that was discussed thoroughly some weeks ago.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some people act like the switch is a portable ps4, and think everything is possible on it. We have been getting great 3rd party support on switch ever since the Switch came out.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From traditional 3rd parties though, it might be on par right now, which is to say it sucks. I mean even the Wii U got a Call of Duty.

No. It is the most ridiculous statement I've read in this thread and show that people either have extremely idealized memories of the Wii U's third party support or strictly no clue as to what is releasing on Switch this and next year.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno that whole thread regarding Amazon placeholders seemed pretty promising. If Nintendo has that many, then I would assume they are publishing some 3rd party stuff.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well one thing, for me at least, is sure ... those 16 placeholder entries on Amazon are surely not all Nintendo's own games ... that would be nuts.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I expect at least some third party support. Yet, absolutely every major third party game announced this year is skipping the Switch. This is not good at all.

And compared to WiiU... well that was discussed thoroughly some weeks ago.

I get what both of you are saying, but I think the Switch is in a much more complicated scenario. Games like CoD are increasingly moving into the GaaS realm. That turns a Switch port into a 12+ month commitment to support the game after it launches.

I know neither of you will agree with me, but I'm definitely happy with the late ports we've been getting for Switch. Sports games aren't my thing, but we're also getting new titles for those kinds of games right at or near launch too. The support is there, but just not in the form some people want it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.